Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Why did Equestria Girls get cancelled?

HorsesandMOARGaloar

TBH, I think that Equestria Girls needs to continue, because the holiday ending wasn't satisfactory, and many other issues had not been resolved yet. But even though I don't want to be like some obsessed fan, I really want to know the reasons and the factors behind the end of Equestria Girls.

Could it be because it wasn't profitable, a lack of popularity, or because everyone in Hasbro wanted to rush into G5? Thanks for explaining.

• Brohoof 1

From what I understand they chose to end it the same year FIM ended. May have been for contractual or staffing reasons. Also Lauren Faust's husband said that Lauren's heart was never really in it.

I also seem to remember reading that the toy sales for EG wasn't very good.

• Brohoof 3

It's hard to ascertain, though the fact that it ended in 2019 points to the reason being FiM ending that same year. We've seen this with the FiM comics this year too, them ending the same year as the premiere of G5

• Brohoof 1

1 hour ago, Ezio Auditore said:

From what I understand they chose to end it the same year FIM ended. May have been for contractual or staffing reasons. Also Lauren Faust's husband said that Lauren's heart was never really in it.

I also seem to remember reading that the toy sales for EG wasn't very good.

Toy sales were successful, first line of dolls were great until FG, but then the Minis came and were even more successful. It wasn’t until the reboot line bombed where they started to scale back 

• Brohoof 2

Why did Equestria Girls get created in the first place?

I don't know, except I know Hasbro didn't rush G5.

I think Equestria Girls got way more attention from Hasbro than FIM, with multiple movies and promotions, and online videos. And I don't know if you can cancel something that didn't really have a series to begin with?

• Brohoof 1

43 minutes ago, lyrabetes3939 said:

Probably because by late 2019, FiM had already ended, and Hasbro wanted to start focusing on G5 instead.

I really wish EG had gotten a proper conclusion, though. :sunny: Unlike FiM, its quality remained pretty good until its abrupt end.

I loved the Groundhog Day parody but I wanted so badly for Sunset and the girls to graduate. Just imagine what graduating would have meant to Sunset!

• Brohoof 3

29 minutes ago, ExplosionMare said:

I loved the Groundhog Day parody but I wanted so badly for Sunset and the girls to graduate. Just imagine what graduating would have meant to Sunset!

Same! I also wish we could have seen the original human Sunset - I always wondered what happened to her. :dash:

• Brohoof 1

2 hours ago, lyrabetes3939 said:

Same! I also wish we could have seen the original human Sunset - I always wondered what happened to her. :dash:

I believe the pony sunset killed her of... Re watch eqg movie 1 again. She gave a hint on what she did. Very vague but she did something to her.

7 hours ago, lyrabetes3939 said:

She and her friends never mention the shallow grave in Sunset's back yard.

Why? Because it's no longer seen as lucrative and because toy sales had been pretty bad.

At this point, it's next to impossible for Equestria Girls to be finished in terms of animation. With the staff from generation four having gone their own ways not to mention Hasbro focusing all their efforts on ensuring generation five gets off on the right foot, EQG has pretty much become an afterthought with only the fandom willing to keep it going. I suppose they could continue it on in comics but that might not work either since the MLP IDW series will be ending.

• Brohoof 1

On 2021-07-06 at 6:38 PM, lyrabetes3939 said:

I wondered the same thing, surely there had to be one out and about somewhere. Maybe she went off to live in Equestria and no one noticed