Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What were your first reactions?

mrmcsavage

(edited)

I was a reluctant brony. I was mostly driven by curiosity to see why anyone would like the show, and I was actually a bit nauseated at first. I tried a couple of times to force myself to watch more than a few minutes of "Wedding at Canterlot", but the whole pony picnic at the beginning, complete with Raritie's fainting and the promise of a pony princess wedding was too much for me.

The first episode I could actually sit through was "Look Before you Sleep". I was still a bit nauseated, and even felt almost guilty for some reason. But I did contemplate that it was at least a good show for little kids to watch, much better than the average entertainment these days. But why any adult would watch it was beyond me.

The first episode I enjoyed was Catnerlot, when I finally forced myself to watch it all the way through. Then I was so excited I couldn't sleep, because suddenly a show that I had had such an adverse reaction to turned out to be awesome. Someone once made the analogy of MLP being like a pile of gold hidden in a dollhouse, which is just what it felt like. It was the last place I expected to find such entertainment.

I think really that one has to get past a certain mental block before really enjoying the show. And you have to get to know the characters too, because so much of it is character driven. If you don't know them, it's just ponies.

So I progressed like this:

1. What in the world am I watching? This is awful! Turn it off!!

2. What in the world am I watching? Why am I watching this? When is it going to be over?

3. Why am I watching this? OK, maybe this isn't so bad, but still...

4. This is amazing!!! I gotta watch another!

5. I need sleep...

Edited by Frankenbrony

I was kinda pushed into watching MLP from one of my friends, and after watching the first episode i was like "This is awesome." then over the course of like a week I watched all the episodes on youtube, and from there i became a super brony :D with a beard. Because people with beards are 20% cooler. But this isn't a topic about beards is it? No its not, its a topic about how your first reaction, plain and simple, my first reaction was: "Omg this is better than I figured. Must. Watch. MORE!"

• Brohoof 1

Wasn't too impressed at the first episode and really disliked Pinkie(completely misjudged her character). Also the plot of the pilot was way too unoriginal for me to really like it. The second episode was better but the part with the elements was really hard to watch. It felt like watching ponified Sailor Moon. I was also right there with twilight when she commented on Pinkie's singing("Tell me she's not"). I had grown to like the characters by the end of the 2nd episode so i was able to forgive the things that bothered me.

Knowing that many good series only get good after multiple episodes i gave it a second chance. The way the series started to introduce each character really hook me in and i loved the show more and more after each episode.

Now that i know what the series is really about, the pilot is a lot better. Pinkie pie who i hated at first Is now my favorite with everyone else being a close second. Also singing that i have always hated in all cartoons is one of my favorite parts of this show. Songs bored me when i was little or were often really bad for me to like them when i was older.

I honestly can't remember what my reaction was. :(

I just continued to watch all the episodes of season 1, and a while later I found my way here. And the rest as they say is history. B)

I saw it on netflix and it was 3 am. There was no doubt in my mind whether or not I should sleep or watch something with magical talking ponies. I have yet to regret that decision. I was the best decision yet who needs sleep anyway?

I was just kind of hesitant it had be recommended to me by a good friend then I was still skeptical. So I eventually sat down and it was like I had to mentally prepare myself for how horrible it was going to be... I. Was. Wrong. Hooked after the first episode after I finished out the seasons. I wanted more and more, here I am. :3

I had the same reaction most people did... "What the fuck am i doing and why the hell do i like it?"

• 3 weeks later...

When I saw the first episode, I was like, "Well, this is already annoying; never watching it again." but then I had second thoughts about it. :wub:

The first episode I watched was Bridle Gossip, my older sister Sarah had told me how she loved the show and of course my first reaction was, :huh::wacko::blink: but then she showed me that episode and I laughed so hard when Fluttershy got cursed and she was like, "I don't want to talk about it." in her deep voice. xD Ever since then I've been in love! :wub:

• Brohoof 1

Well since the first episode wasn't my first episode of the show, my reaction is different...

"Uh, what are those dogs are gonna do to that while unicorn... :huh: ?" (A Dog and Pony Show was my first episode I saw.)

My initial reaction was...a small amount of not being surprise. I mean, it's not exactly the first time I've enjoyed a show not meant for my age group or not entirely my gender. I've liked kids shows before, and I am also included "shoujo" manga and anime as well.

But I was very surprised, actually. In all my life, I never would've thought I would enjoy My Little Pony. Ever. If you told me that I would at any other time prior to this show, I would've called you crazy. I personally attribute it to the magic of Lauren Faust. I've liked all previous things she's worked on, really.

Well... everything went better than expected. Might as well watch another, got some time to kill.

Week later: Wha?? That's all the episodes?

I sat there in front of my computer, feeling awfully down. Simply clicked a link to on of the episodes.

I smiled.

And started my journey to become a Pegasister.

^^

when i watch my first episode Dragonshy my thoughts were "wow this quite good, its no were near as good as animaniacs but still good"

after the episode finished "I WANT MORE!!"

(edited)

I've been watching many "frowned-upon-among-friends" shows in my childhood, and enjoyed most of them, so I was prepared to unearth a nice, enjoyable piece of animation from a seemingly girly/children cartoon which is MLP.

And I was right, my first reaction was plain joy.

Edited by Sepraxian

First time I saw it there wasn't anything else rlly on so I was y the heck not, it may be for lil girls but idc... After the episode I was all this isn't just for lil girls!!! It was funny and had a good plot and I was hooked!

After hearing random bits of pony related stuff on the internet i decided to watch the first episode. I have heard of Bronies but never thought of them as wierd. A few of my friends were already bronies,(They never told me direct but there skype pictures were of ponies so i knew). The intro music starte playing, I was like "dafuq am I watching?" but there was something about the animation that made me keep watching. The show has great loveable characters and a good story line. The singing is also pretty awsome. So before I knew it, I was now a Brony who just finished watching the entire 1st season in a week, and you know what? I didn't find it wierd, I thought it felt pretty good to be a Brony. /)