Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Rank Rebuild

Jeric

5 hours ago, Props said:

What are the librarian ranks? I haven't seen those around.

That was an old staff rank. 

5 hours ago, Splashee said:

LOL how do I earn points?

(Mobile-view says this when clicking the combined notification icon at the top right 👍)

Stay tuned for a long explanation tomorrow. The entire system is different now, but I’ll try and explain later in context of the ranks. 

Update. 

Rank Icons are slowly starting to show. Some may be a higher rank than expected because they are based on points and not posts. 

• Brohoof 2

Well F me, then, I seriously dropped.

Points,does that mean brohoof (and others) count? If so, It will be a seriously long time before getting any higher.

I dunno how people rank up 10,000+ of those.

(Thankfully these don't actually mean anything substantive! ...right? :o)

Edited by Toastypk

4 hours ago, Toastypk said:

Of course they mean something substantive! The reason? Forum culture! Another example is like being the OP of a thread that has thousands of posts. No one cares from outside the forums. But within the context of the forums, what you have is a high status symbol. When people see your name, they bask in your glory and think, "O! That is the guy who made the thread with 10 000 posts!"

• Brohoof 1

6 hours ago, Toastypk said:

Points,does that mean brohoof (and others) count? If so, It will be a seriously long time before getting any higher.

I doubt it – I have a lot more brohoofs than posts, but I went down from evil changeling (though I never had the badge, as I reached the rank while it was glitched) to kirin.

I had forgotten I was a kirin before, it's almost like a new rank to me. :adorkable:

Edited by Tacodidra
  • Brohoof 2

9 hours ago, Toastypk said:

Well F me, then, I seriously dropped.

I dunno how people rank up 10,000+ of those.

I doubt that too

@Rikifive has more brohooves (and posts than me) but still he is just a Kirin while I'm a Reformed Changeling. So there must be more than the number of brohooves at work here

besides does it really matter?

• Brohoof 1

I've been here since mid 2013 as well, I was in crystal ponies before the ranks got expanded, then ponies, and now I'm at over 4k posts and brohoofs, and yet I'm only bunny rank now. I do not like this change at all. I get it's just a silly rank but c'mon.

• Brohoof 1

1 minute ago, Astral Soul said:

besides does it really matter?

In the RP section at least having a higher rank lent some credence to your skill and dedication. A higher rank showed that you had been here for a while and were more likely to stick around.

At least to me it helped me stick through the hard times because I was working towards something. Now that all that effort has been taken away I feel cheated. I stayed here because I wanted to keep posting here to improve my rank, and now that's gone.

• Brohoof 1

@Illiad Easle

Thats a good point. I feel more than disappointed because I spent years working in the RP section to improve myself - and when I get the highest rank, it doesn't change over and then at the top of it all, I get shoved back down to this low rank. I have over 10,000 posts now - only for that to feel wasted. I know a rank is a silly thing, but I at least want some reward for all the time I spent here.

Edited by Props
  • Brohoof 1

I think it's important to ask the community for feedback on changes like these before going ahead with implementing them and not asking at all. I've been here 9+ years and it feels like a lot of that is wasted now at a low rank like this.

Edited by Celli
  • Brohoof 4

Is it gonna be fixed? I don't know what makes me a Crystal Pony but I was at EoH before the change

I know it's trivial but it's the little details that makes me appreciate the site a bit more

• Brohoof 1

4 minutes ago, Props said:

@Megas

Were you a subscriber in the past? If so, it's interesting how that title stayed. 

Yeah I was, you keep your title even after the subscription lapses. Though you can't change it again afaik until you resub

29 minutes ago, Celli said:

I think it's important to ask the community for feedback on changes like these before going ahead with implementing them and not asking at all. I've been here 9+ years and it feels like a lot of that is wasted now at a low rank like this.

Quoting you Celli just as a general way to key my reply off of. This reply isn’t directed to you in particular, and yes your point is valid. 

I wouldn’t have changed the old system to this if they paid me. I don’t want to speak for other staff but I’m sure they feel the same. The old system was a perfect and simple measure of contribution for the people that user MLPF. You may have noticed that when people reached a post milestone that the ranks were no longer changing. That’s because that system went away and was replaced. This is all on Invision and changing their philosophy on ranks and tying them to more than just posts. MLPF pays these guys over a grand a year (out of my pocket) and we don’t get a say on vetoing enhancements. 

Various elements of activity not earn you points instead of a straight up posts. The interface for this new system is based on creating logic based rules and then I need to rerun a internal script to recalculate. Last night was the first time it picked one of the items up. I’ll be slowly modifying the rules to pick up more things until we have something that better represents were you all were. 

New Topics and treated differently than Replies to a topic. They are separate categories. I only ran one to see if this new logic picked anything up. 

I’m not done. Look guys, I’m battling a flu, I spent the better part of a three day weekend fighting with this new system instead of out back enjoying grilling and playing with my grandkid. I’m exhausted and I’m testy. Can we please put down the pitchforks until I get this working again.

As I run these scripts differently and they come back with higher and higher ranks I’ll keep posting progress here like I did last night. I’ll get it there. Please trust me. 

• Brohoof 5

@Jeric Apologies for reacting that way, I didn't know it was out of the staff here's hands. I have massive respect for y'all keeping the site running, and I hope you feel better soon,

4 minutes ago, Jeric said:

As I run these scripts differently and they come back with higher and higher ranks I’ll keep posting progress here like I did last night. I’ll get it there. Please trust me. 

Oh so the current ranks aren't final either? I see.

• Brohoof 3

10 minutes ago, Props said:

@Megas

Were you a subscriber in the past? If so, it's interesting how that title stayed. 

Special Ranks like Staff, Subscriber, MCM, and Contest ranks are pulled from a different system. Groups have the ability to have their own rank that supersedes the main rank. I didn’t and am not touching Groups. 

• Brohoof 1