Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Distractions as a way to quit unhealthy habits

privet

I don't have any unhealthy habits, but I find that walking each day (outside, fresh air, nature, etc) is a good way to recharge and it does help against depression and potentially being unhealthy in general.

• Brohoof 2

4 minutes ago, Splashee said:

I don't have any unhealthy habits, but I find that walking each day (outside, fresh air, nature, etc) is a good way to recharge and it does help against depression and potentially being unhealthy in general.

Yeah I walk from work to  home often to relax,even now with the loads of snow i love the feeling of it under my feet. So like 30 minutes of walking +- per day

• Brohoof 2

I would get obsessive with gaming sessions, for stupid small online things even. I'd be doing near all nighters, playing for 8+ hours in the day and foregoing responsibilities. My mind would get locked in and I couldn't stop until exhausted.

Unfortunately I don't have much advice, because I'd eventually just quit because it interfered so much, or I'd get too tired to hop back on the next day.

In the end I just quit, and learned to recognize what I was doing, so I stop myself before getting into things now.

I've established limits, or not indulged in addictive behaviors and substances for the most part.

I set a strict mindset for myself before I start either with smoking or drinking. Mostly around cigarettes. In reality it’s tough for me but I did tried to limit myself with drinking one can a day (to help ease my stress) at least 11%. A little mind trick I did to myself to think I’m having two cans so it prevents me from picking up another and then another. Smoking for me It’s used to be a stick a day, then one stick a day after tomorrow but now if I desperately needs it. Because I drink everyday anyways so a cigarette a day isn’t that necessary needed for me. I did tried nicotine gums but.. somehow it didn’t sit well for me.  But this mindset works okay with me since I haven’t smoke or drink obsessively.

But what helps me is drinking coffee if I have cravings that may break my mojo. Also thinking about my health since I work out and can’t afford to exercise with a bad health. Also thinking about what it did to one of my sister’s, my uncle’s ,and my dad’s health also helps. It’s not easy to keep a steady mindset but I tried to keep it that way. However, wouldn’t never suggested it to anyone (with a stronger addiction) doing my way how to limit themselves since this is just me as a person and most people are different in how they’d handle themselves. But I think having this pre mindset that I made for myself before I get into these “habits” did in a way, prevented the worst for my health.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)
On 1/29/2023 at 3:48 AM, TBD said:

I set a strict mindset for myself before I start either with smoking or drinking. Mostly around cigarettes. In reality it’s tough for me but I did tried to limit myself with drinking one can a day (to help ease my stress) at least 11%. A little mind trick I did to myself to think I’m having two cans so it prevents me from picking up another and then another. Smoking for me It’s used to be a stick a day, then one stick a day after tomorrow but now if I desperately needs it. Because I drink everyday anyways so a cigarette a day isn’t that necessary needed for me. I did tried nicotine gums but.. somehow it didn’t sit well for me.  But this mindset works okay with me since I haven’t smoke or drink obsessively.

But what helps me is drinking coffee if I have cravings that may break my mojo. Also thinking about my health since I work out and can’t afford to exercise with a bad health. Also thinking about what it did to one of my sister’s, my uncle’s ,and my dad’s health also helps. It’s not easy to keep a steady mindset but I tried to keep it that way. However, wouldn’t never suggested it to anyone (with a stronger addiction) doing my way how to limit themselves since this is just me as a person and most people are different in how they’d handle themselves. But I think having this pre mindset that I made for myself before I get into these “habits” did in a way, prevented the worst for my health.

I also don't smoke much  just like you...I can control how much I drink as well.

One pack of cigarettes lasts me about 2 weeks to a month.. :D

Edited by imperia

On 2023-01-29 at 1:05 AM, imperia said:

I also didn't smoke much when I used to just like you...I can control how much I drink aswell :D

Ohh good to hear that! Yeah for my “motto” is don’t make the “good” thing into a bad habit. I think when it comes to handling alcohol is to enjoy it and not abuse it. :ithastolookpretty: It helps with me with my stress so abusing it would defeat its purpose for me. As for cigarette for me,..I think after taking that nicotine gum made me lost my appetite on it a bit because it made me nauseous. But despite of that, I  only use as an emergency. 

I clean up my apartment as an emergency measure. I mostly do it to blow off steam if I’m mad, but it can distract me from doing anything I’ll regret. But as far as sidelining long-standing habits, it depends on the habit. For me, most of my biggest faults come from spending too much time on the internet. The internet is a cesspool of bad things that can draw a person in before they even realize it. In my case, I try to avoid turning on the computer to begin with (by focusing on exercise, artwork, writing, etc). But when I have business that requires I be online, I make a schedule of exactly what I need to do, how long I can spend doing it, and what time I have to turn it off (whether I’m finished or not). I’ve found that in many cases, if I have a bad habit, starting another (less harmful) habit as a replacement can be helpful. I used to have a habit of collecting toys; it cost too much and gave me little satisfaction. So I started ‘collecting’ short stories that I would write, which satisfied the ‘greed factor’ of gaining things in volume, but also gave me a creative outlet that absorbed my energies. Eventually I didn’t think about buying toys anymore and I now have some nice stories I can call my own. This can be applied to any habit really; it’s just a matter of personal interest, focus and creative problem solving.