Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

general What are/were your Study Habits?

Vulcan

For skill based subjects like math, the best way to study is by doing. If I have a tool available like mymathlab, I have it feed me questions until I can solve them blindfolded. If I don't, I go over some old problems I've done in the past and redo them.

For memorization subjects, I write a cheatsheet in the tiniest printing I can. My goal is to sum up the entire curriculum on a single piece of paper front and back. Once I've done that, I have a very powerful study tool to quiz myself with. Even if you can't take the paper in with you on the day of the test, if you've used it enough, you can almost visualize what was on it.

What motivates me to study is actually caring about the subject material. I like what I'm learning and I want to do well. I've also gained a bit of a reputation in the eyes of some of my peers that I need to uphold. :P

What it was? Practice practice practice. Unfortunately, this falls utterly flat for subjects that are heavy on theory (Telecommunication was a nightmare to study). Somehow I made it through "the hard subjects" that include calculus and statistics but have been struggling with the "easier" subjects.

A new method I've been experimenting with is to study the material in such a way that I could give lessons on the material myself. The better I would be able to do this should equate to me having a better understanding of the material at hand. Does seem to be working so far.

It also helps to have a lot of exposure to the material. Learning takes time so the more time you are exposed to the material, the more you start to assimilate it. Procrastinating as soon as you get stuck is a sure way to set yourself up for failure.

i personally HATE procrastinating... It gives me MAJOR anxiety (on top of my anxiety disorder). I'm one of those people that get an assignment, go home and get it done that night even if it's not due for like two weeks or whatever. When Studying, I always have to have background noise, music, especially TV... my TV is on practically 24/7 in the background. Some people think that I'm weird, but hey, I have been able to carry 20 college units a term for four years so it works for me!

Eh, it was all just memorization.  Holding on to something at least until you'd passed the test.  I was one of those people that actually learned better through reading, so simply going back through the relevant parts of a textbook worked for me.

There are usually "tricks" you can utilize; mental associations that help you recall certain pieces of information.  Some are well known: "In fourteen hundred ninety-two, Columbus sailed the ocean blue."  Initially memorized the fifty state names with that damn song.  And some are more personalized: I learned to consistently spell "Wednesday" correctly because a friend pointed out that it had "NES" in the middle of it. x3

• 2 weeks later...

I don't have one. I've tried to sit down like a productive student, but usually I just end up getting bored and sooner or later pick up my phone to read or watch YouTube videos. I'll study at school if I don't have a book usually, or I'll quickly panic and read over notes minutes before a test. I still manage to keep straight A's, simply by working super hard the week before report cards.

* i would read text books and skim through any notes i made in class, give it 5 minutes and i wouldn't remember a thing. just go into exams and pray for the best.

* either that or i just didn't study at all.

The project begins: "Relax, all the time in the world."

The project gets to the middle: "I should probably start doing something...nah, got more than enough time left."

The final week: "Okay, I really need to get working. But hey, what's the rush? I have until Friday, after all."
Thursday night: "OH GOD OH GOD OH GOD OH GOD OH GOD OH GOD WHAT DO I DO HELP SHIT I'M HOSED HELP OH GOD OH GOD OH GOD etc."

Friday morning "OHGODOHGODOHGODOHGODOHGODOHGODOHGODOHGODWHYWHYWHYWHYWHYWHYWHYWHYWHYWHY etc."

Friday noon/afternoon until due moment: *intense self loathing with lots of swearing and assuring myself that next time I won't let it get this far and I'll keep up with the work*

Due moment: *acceptance of fate*

New project begins: "Relax, all the time in the world."

...Yeah, winging it in an all-nighter the day before due date is what will inevitably happen in any project I work on.

• Brohoof 1

I was pretty good at absorbing things first time around in class so I rarely study, I usually got pretty good grades but with my final GCSES coming up soon I am actually thinking about getting off my lazy bum and doing some revision for once.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

I was never good at learning things by the typical schooling methods. Cramming and trying to memorize a bunch of stuff I have no interest in has no hope of being retained in my brain for more than a few minutes. After I left school behind I learned tons of stuff at my own pace because nobody was forcing it on me. I wanted to learn and had a voracious appetite for it. I read books, look at pictures, ask others and most of all, I just relax and think. Pondering things and how they work has always been the best method for me. I ask the questions in my mind, and then ask why the answers are what they are. It used to be like a recreational activity for me. I love to think; it gives me perspective and teaches me a lot. 

I didn't really study. In any school I ever went to if you were there for the class you could pass any test. Even the homework was just unnecessary repetition of the same thing you learned in class. 

• Brohoof 1

3 minutes ago, Discordian said:

I didn't really study. In any school I ever went to if you were there for the class you could pass any test. Even the homework was just unnecessary repetition of the same thing you learned in class. 

I've had similar experiences I rarely studied at all i just listened at class and everything worked out

1 hour ago, Cyclone said:

I do worse than that I just don't study.

Well that's what I meant. I don't study either but still manage to pass whatever it was I was supposed to do. :laugh:

Depending on the class I hardly spent time studying but  I would organizes want to study to save me some time.

In high school, I just took really good notes and reviewed them a few days before a test. I tend to remember things better if I write it down. I did the same in college, but had much less time to study since I had a busy schedule. :sealed:

• Brohoof 1

5 hours ago, Lucky Bolt said:

Well that's what I meant. I don't study either but still manage to pass whatever it was I was supposed to do. :laugh:

Everyone on high school hated me because I'd walk in on test day, not having studied and not stressed out but pass with the best grade in the class.

3 hours ago, Phosphor said:

In high school, I just took really good notes and reviewed them a few days before a test. I tend to remember things better if I write it down. I did the same in college, but had much less time to study since I had a busy schedule. :sealed:

These days I've found that all I have to do is write a word or two down and I can recall everything I need to know about something. That's probably why I didn't need to actually study in school. Once I saw it on the test it just clicked on and I remembered things.

The trade-off is that I won't remember anything if I don't see it in writing and can forget a conversation within minutes of it ever happening. :laugh:

• Brohoof 1