Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What maxims do you live by?

InfinityWhale

"The road to hell is paved with good intentions."

- English Proverb

"A sure way to lose happiness, I found, is to want it at the expense of everything else."

- Bette Davis

"It isn't where you came from; it's where you're going that counts."

- Ella Fitzgerald

"Of all the liars in the world, sometimes the worst are your own fears."

- Rudyard Kipling

But those are more of quotes than they are maxims. Here are my personal ones:

-Respect everyone, including everyone's ideas, opinions, and points of view

-The wise man doesn't sneeze into the wind

-You're a boring person if you don't have secrets

-Out of pressure come diamonds, but hey, no one ever said there's anything wrong with gold

There are probably more, just can't think of any right now :P

I do despise quoting much past Twain, but I couldn't leave this go unposted.

Doesn't matter what the press says. Doesn't matter what the politicians or the mobs say. Doesn't matter if the whole country decides that something wrong is something right. This nation was founded on one principle above all else: the requirement that we stand up for what we believe, no matter the odds or the consequences. When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world — "No, you move."

• 3 weeks later...

I forgot about one more code I lived by.

"Do things you want to do because it makes you feel good; for yourself, NOT for your friends, not for your family, not for anyone else. You only."

"Truth is relative."

Also, I have to say these other words, because otherwise my post is too short. :blink:

Interesting...

Are you implying the truth is not relevant in some cases then?

Someone further up the page posted the phrase "Truth isn't relative", which I take to mean that somewhere, there is an absolute answer for everything (or even just some things). I am of the opposite persuasion, which is why I added the italics. It isn't so much that truth isn't relavent. It's more about how its meaning breaks down to being simply "belief" whenever a conflict arises between people whose "truth" are different.

My one and only maxim is "nothing truly matters". Or maybe "practice makes perfect, but nobody is perfect. So why practice?"

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

My favorite maxim is probably a poem called the Desiderata by Max Ehrmann,

Go placidly amidst the noise and haste, and remember what peace there may be in silence. As far as possible without surrender be on good terms with all persons. Speak your truth quietly and clearly; and listen to others, even the dull and the ignorant; they too have their story.

Avoid loud and aggressive persons, they are vexatious to the spirit. If you compare yourself with others, you may become vain or bitter; for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself.

Enjoy your achievements as well as your plans. Keep interested in your own career, however humble; it is a real possession in the changing fortunes of time.

Exercise caution in your business affairs; for the world is full of trickery. But let this not blind you to what virtue there is; many persons strive for high ideals; and everywhere life is full of heroism.

Be yourself. Especially, do not feign affection. Neither be cynical about love; for in the face of all aridity and disenchantment it is as perennial as the grass.

Take kindly the counsel of the years, gracefully surrendering the things of youth. Nurture strength of spirit to shield you in sudden misfortune. But do not distress yourself with dark imaginings. Many fears are born of fatigue and loneliness.

Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here.

And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should. Therefore be at peace with God, whatever you conceive Him to be, and whatever your labours and aspirations, in the noisy confusion of life keep peace with your soul. With all its shams, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be cheerful.

Strive to be happy.

Somewhere in there I would probably add "Have compassion for all of humanity", but it is a beautiful work that provides a great deal of valuable advice.

Edited by TheEngineer

If it is not forbidden, it is permitted.

You're going to have to deal with a lot of shit throughout your life, so don't volunteer yourself for more.