Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Closet Bronies UNITE: Experiences and Discussion

Zero000

I'm definitely not a closet Brony. If I was younger I may be but now I'm old enough to not let it bother me. Anywho, I've been made fun of for other stuff so it doesn't really matter if anyone knows.

I'm a complete closet brony, but that's mostly because of my shyness... I am trying my best to overcome it though. I want to start using MLP t-shirts when I get the chance to and make random references every now and then as well.

I wouldn't be ashamed to go on and say "I like My Little Pony", but it's not something I would spread with much ease either.

Im not really a closet Brony, if anyone asks i tell them freely, but they always think i am joking. The extent of my interaction with other bronies is sometimes ill drop a reference, like saying something exploded twice, or that it needs to be 20% cooler, and ill look around the room to see if anyone noticed, and i usually get an approving nod or a brohoof from somepony and everyone else looks at me like "wtf ben your so random things cant explode twice silly" and then i cant stop laughing because they genuinely dont get the reference. the only thing im really worried about is if my wrestling teammates found out because that would suck. they all know im straight because people think im promiscuous (which im not people just say i am because they are jealous of me always being happy) but even though they know im straight i dont know how they would react to me being a Brony. and i dont want to know.

im a closet pegasis, no reason, just dont like my family being involved

my mom would probably think im a bit wierd, but thats it

my dad would rather act like he doesnt care or try to make me leave it

my big sister is probably mlp liker too

my little brother wont care, but will mock me from time to time

my little sister will have no problem with it

i dont really have reason to be afraid, but i dont have any reason to tell them ._.

I'm just waiting for someone to notice my rainbowdash cutie mark wallpaper... then i'll answer the question of "what the heck is this rainbow lightning bolt from?" then bam! " it's freaking rainbowdash from my little pony! you mad bro?" then i'll just ignore whatever they say next wether it's good or bad.

I'm a girl and even I'm too scared to admit that I watch MLP. I would love to know some bronies in real life but I don't think the show is very popular here - at least not among my age-group.

:blush:

I have the same problem! No one here that I know is a brony but me, No one knows I am a brony though but if someone ask I may say yes...

I guess I was a “closet brony” for a while. I was more in denial than anything that I liked the show, but as I continued to watch the show and learn as well as connect with the fandom it became less and less of a big deal. My family knows I am a brony and so do some of my friends, I don’t go around telling everyone about it but if it comes up in conversation then I’m open about being a fan. I actually wore my Fluttershy shirt to school last week for the first time and was honestly a little worried that people would comment about it or make a fuss over it, but I decided I wasn’t going to let the fear of what people may do or say to me dictate what I wear, I am who I am. Thankfully nobody said tried to poke fun or make a big deal of it at all. I think it’s real sad that some of us bronies have to be “in hiding” in the first place. My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic is just a TV show and a damn good one at that. Because the show isn’t very masculine or intended for a male audience we are immediately thought of as “weird” and “gay” but sadly that is the reality. I think the less of a deal we make it the less of a deal it is.

Here's a bit of a story. I kept it under wraps very well. My screen was always covered with a game and I never said anything. I was never completely discreet in that some references popped out but they were vague and my "bronyism" i guess its called was still stegged pretty good. Only one friend knew because they too are a brony. Then that day occurred where I completely forgot I had a second monitor hooked up and it also happened to be the day my mother came back from New York visiting a friend and riding horses coincidentally. Upon her return, she comes into my room and proceeds with discussion as usual as I try to multitask that and Borderlands but inevitably pause the game. It took her a bit to notice the Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy background that happened to be there on the second monitor, but she did and asked "Why do you have My Little Ponies as a background?" Now, I don't know if she bought the whole "No you see they aren't" counter argument because she responded with "Oh, well they look like them." But on the chance she did buy into that, I know for a fact that if she sees them again and the name is around them in some manner, it will come into conversation. I was a bit surprised she recognized them immediately but she did grow up in the 80's and there's probably a cousin's kid or friend's kid that watches the current incarnation that I don't know about.

• 5 weeks later...

I've been a (closet) brony for about... Jeez, a year now o_O but at the same time I think of myself as more of a "Don't say it if you aren't asked about it" one. If someone said "Hey, Tyler, are you a brony?" I probably wouldn't deny it, unless, for instance, it was someone who I didn't trust not to go shouting about it or attempting to blackmail me with it. Naturally.

Only two people that I know, per se (Skype friends), actually know that I am one. And they are too, as they converted me.

Overall I think, that you don't need to go into school/work one day and shout "H3Y, 1'M 4 P0NY P3RS0N" as that would be silly... Funny but silly. And you shouldn't tell people about it if you don't want to or if you think they will try to use it against you.

Don't be ashamed. Don't hide it if you're asked, it'll just make you wish you hadn't. Don't announce it if you don't want to. And finally, be gradual about it if you are going to exit the closet.

That's my idea on this. In fact, thanks to some threads I've read, I'm gonna gradually open the closet door, step out and close it. (Metaphorically)

Rofl not one anymore :) I was for the first month of being a brony but I got really bored and kinda annoyed that I had no one to share it with. I told one of my friends (how) I became one and then showed him some clips on youtube. Surprisingly enough he wanted to check out the first episode :).

My wife called me at work one morning and told me my brother-in-law was was into MLP. I laughed and had to ask her if she was serious several times. The next day I had her put on an episode for me and saw how great it is. I was hooked and have been watching it ever since, bought a brony shirt and tend to stop at random stores after work to find ponies for our collection.

My favorite character is Fluttershy and I have a figure of her in my car, a large figure I keep on my desk next to my computer and my wife surprised me a few days ago with a Fluttershy YAY shirt. Talk about being converted to the show...

As for the closet part. My family is slowly finding out and I don't want everyone knowing every time I go out.

Well, I am a closet brony and I am not entirely sure if I ever want to kick down the door of the closet, step out and be ready to honestly say "I am a brony" if people ask (not that I want to advertise it)

Regardless, I'm sure many of my peers in school wouldn't probably care at all. The problem is my family, particularly my father who's always and literally teasing, criticizing, spiking with sarcastical comments and derogating me. Hell, he'd send me to asylum if he found out about my little fandom

Secondly, I cannot accept defeat as I'm slightly narcissistic person and unable to bear critic. Because of those, I am always seeking t to please everyone and not to get any disapproval nor enemies. Revealing my fandom would blev my cover and would put my credibility on stake, which is exactly what I cannot withstand. I need some confidence. I need your advices

I am a closet brony, mostly because i have brony hater friends. Before i became a brony i didn't really care for the mlp related sprays in TF2 and such, but they hated on it. I have one friend who is also a brony. He is the only person i know in real life i have ever told. I haven't even told my best friend...yet. I feel like i should and i might, I just don't have the guts to. I don't know why i mean, i don't think he would mind but i just can't do it! Although even telling my openly brony friend was really really hard. I feel so good inside that i have somepony to talk to. Even if it's just one for now.

This thread appears to be related to the My Little Pony franchise and/or the Bronydom in general. Thus, it has been sentenced to Sugarcube Corner.

This is an automatically generated message, by the way.

When I first became a brony I thought my family would think I was weird or something so I always hid it. Then I got tired of hiding it and let my younger brother catch me watching it... now both of my younger brothers are bronies :D

Of course, they're still nowhere near as big of a brony as I am.

Edited by TARDIS

Not sure I'd say that I'm a "Closet Brony" or not. I suppose that depends on your definition of the term.

Mine is one who denies being a Brony is asked and hides in secrecy!

Which isn't accurate for me since I don't deny anything! I don't openly tell people about it either.

The way I see it is that if they ask I tell them the honest truth and recommend the show. I don't go around openly telling people about it who don't ask and tend to hide it in public.

Once enough people have found out I am a Brony I'll probably start being more open about it, wearing Pony shirts. Till' then it will be a fun secret between me, my family, one Hot Topic clerk, and a few friends who caught on. (though only one of my friends accepts it, the others tend to tease and troll!)

So, Hot Topic sells pony t-shirts... If so I need to go there right now and get a Fluttershy shirt that says Brony on it then i will confess to being a Brony.

I'm a closet brony in real life due to people who would beat the everloving crap out of me for enjoying the show. However, a brony club is being set up in my school and I might go and check it out.

I don't think I'm a closet brony. My brother knows and my dad jokes about me watching it sometimes, hes ok with it as far as I know. I don't think my mom knows, but I'm sure she would be alright with it. Most of my class knows and they think its cool. When I told them some of my friends then told me they also watch it.

I'm not really a closet brony, but I understand how they feel. Some of my friends know, and my parents know (well sort of), but I haven't ever been teased or picked on because of it. But hell, sometimes I feel awkward talking about ponies to my real life brony friends, so I get where they are coming from.

Im a closet brony and i aint coming out till i find some more bronies outside of my house.

Which is why im begging for a brony meet-up near where i live so i can find some.

The only thing close to a brony meet-up in Serbia is the Pride Parade :P , something I don't look forward to, because while I'm on my field trip in Belgrade, the LGBTs are gonna parade around. I don't really like them, but I gess I gotta just love and tolerate.