Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Closet Bronies UNITE: Experiences and Discussion

Zero000

Well I admit I'm a Brony to whoever asks (hater or not) but I don't go around just bringing it up in random conversations. I do ask other people if they are a Brony only if I think they are one (which has only hapened once). Other than that I hide it even though My parents and my friends know I'm a Brony still feel an urge to hide stuff related to it such as my drawings in my sketchbook, Wallpaper and other things I have on my computer. I also don't have the guts to buy/obtain/own anything phisical thats related to MLP FIM.

Edited by Dasher

A few people do know. I did star up an awkward conversations on Fetishes, than got into bronies (I do not clop, just best way to lead into the conversation). It was with my sisters friend sister, she then told her sister who told me that ever since she heard about bronies, she has seen them everywhere. I was going to tell her, but then my brother yells (this is word for word) "My brother is a brony and has watched every episode of my little pony". Embaressing, if someone asks me, I'll say ya, but no one has really asked me.

I'm more of a closet brony, but I can be public about it. I just choose not to be public.

I'm so far in this closet I'm finding Christmas presents.... BA DUMM TSSSSPosted Image

But no really no one knows I'm a brony and I kinda want it to stay this way..

Although I do say quotes time to time but no one seems to notice it :/

Edited by OdinForced
  • Brohoof 1

You can say that I am openly a brony, at first I wasn't, but that all changed when I let my mom know I was watching the show. She told me it was for little girls and mocked me about it. I didn't really care and just kept on watching this lovely show.

Today I don't really care if people know or not wheather I'm a brony or not, if they ask me I tell them the truth. I also have a small collection of ponies on my shelf that I never hide for anyone. If people tell me it's a stupid show and that they don't like me for it I'll answer, "Ok, I don't care, just mind your own buisness and let me mind my own and we'll get along fine"

I'm a public brony at my school, thankfully, the people there have no problems with me being a brony because they understand it is just a hobby of mine, and I don't really act different anyway. If it were to change with later schooling, I would go back to being closeted so I can't be disturbed just because of bronyism.

Closet for the most part. Considering I have a brony shirt myself I think that it may change. Regardless, I adopt the "Don't ask, don't tell" formula to this. I don't want to go around telling people "HAY GUISE IMZ A BRUNEE!!11!!oneoen1!" because that's irritating, but if they wanna ask, I'll tell them.

Public brony. I'm not that worried that people know. If people think poorly of me for being one, then -yay- them. If people respect me for being one, awesome ^_^

-Disclaimer: I put -yay- in the place of curse words-

• Brohoof 1

Well, I don't go around telling people "Yo dawg, I'm a brony" but I don't hide it if asked, and also I tell my friends, ask f they are interested, some became bronies, some don't care, which I am fine with. Also my mom once caught me watching, and now she watches with me! Love you Mom! <3

I am a public brony or pegasister as some call it. I do not care what others think, it is my life and I live it to the fullest. Erm, that was a bit blunt and I do apologize. My entire family knows I love MLP, my mother named me after a character after all. My man is a brony, my siblings are bronies, etc. ^^

I'm a mixture. For my friends, public. But for people I don't know, I don't tell, for the simple reason I'm going to a new school. But I do wear my MLP tee from time to time.

Im 100% public. now that doesn't mean I go around flaunting it and shoving ponies in random peoples faces, in fact i tend to not talk about ponies in public, but i do own a tshirt that I wear often and if someone asks then i dont try to deny them.

Yeah i consider my self a closet brony. Its not that i don't have the gut to go out and say i watch MLP, but i figure it avoids awkward situations and no one needed to know anyway.

It's a stupid dichotomy. "Closet brony" steals its origin from a similar term regarding a person's sexuality and the suppression of it. It indulgently implies, as thus, that the revelation of one's association as part of a FANDOM is as weighty or threatening to one's social equilibrium as the reveal of a hidden attraction to a specific gender binary.

It isn't, yo. Being a brony does not define who I am. It isn't a big deal at all. I do not flaunt it or adorn my room with merchandising in a way that suggests, "YO WORLD. FUCK. I LOVE THIS SHIT." If someone were to find out I was a "brony," it wouldn't matter because - even if rejected - it's just something I like.

Not something I am. It's a stupid term, as said before. If you're - and that's a general "you" - so insecure about being a brony that you must hide in some imaginary "closet," you have bigger things to worry about than someone discovering your bronydom.

This applies to all interests. Stupid term.

Edited by Dr. Veece

Personally, I don't really think it's important enough to tell most people. My friends and my mom know that I like the show. That's about it. I don't feel like it's something I have to hide, but at the same time, I don't really feel like it's something I have to share, either. If it comes up in conversation, I have no qualms about sharing it, but if not, I'm not just gonna bring it up, randomly, for no reason.

Oh god. Now you have to tell your parents, just so you can tell us their reaction in vivid detail.

And then, if they think you're gay, make out with a girl in front of their face.

Would you make out with someone in front of your parents? Awk-warrrrd.

I really, REALLY like Steel Matt's idea of saying lines like "20 percent cooler" from the show.

This way, I can remain a closet brony to the general public that wouldn't accept bronies, and any bronies that were also hiding within that general public would understand the line whilst people who haven't watched MLP (aka aren't bronies) wouldn't get it.

Conclusion = meeting and discovering other bronies without revealing you are one to the non-bronies. Genius.

I don't really care if people know for the most part; but this is a complicated issue. With being a brony, you face the same problems here as you do as with homosexuality and other issues that some parts of society don't consider acceptable yet. Principally, I think most of the stances on this issue fall somewhere near one of these two stances.

Here is our problem in short:

On one hand, it seems that flaunting it to others would be wrong. Certainly, who are we to throw something that a person doesn't approve of in the face of that person?

On the other, purposely being timid and hiding our interests from society reinforces 1) that there is something wrong with it and 2) the gender stereotypes that lead to these problems in the first place. Also, why should we try to hide something that is as innocent an interest as transformers, video games, or anime? There isn't a difference here, and by hiding our interest we give credibility to the notion that there is some imperceptible different between our interest in MLP and other interests people regularly are fans of with no public shame.

I personally have decided more towards the latter way of reasoning because I see no reason that interest in MLP is different than that of any other series and I reject gender norms because of how arbitrary they are.

Edited by TheEngineer
  • Brohoof 1

My parents know that i'm a brony but I don't think they really understand it nor do I bring it up often, my three sister know and the very few friends I have all know but they are all really accepting so im pretty lucky :)

Edited by Flame Dancer
  • Brohoof 1

I used to be a closet brony, til' I showed off my pony swag pony pony shirt at school. turns out quite a few people were closet bronies, and we got a club title that day too.

all I can say is, let it all out. I'm glad I did, found a few bronies, as I've said before ;) .

• Brohoof 2

Well I'm definitely a closet brony. No matter how many times I play out the situation in my mind it always ends with me being laughed at.

And I will not even tell my parents, the reveal would be awkward and uncomfortable for both parties.

I'm a girl and even I'm too scared to admit that I watch MLP. I would love to know some bronies in real life but I don't think the show is very popular here - at least not among my age-group.

:blush:

• Brohoof 1

Ok noway no how. I don't really care what people think of me, I ponified my entire facebook, so I think I'm pretty open about it. I don't talk about it because no one asks. If someone asks me about it I'll give them something, but other then that I don't talk about it. I do watch MLP at sporting events and get some weird looks, but who cares.