Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

NekoTamer

I've been thinking where Discord fits into Equestrian history ever since Hearth's Warming Eve. I think that he was there before the founding of the country but working from the shadows. Perhaps he had a connection with the windigoes. After all, they both seem to be fueled by fighting (it's what broke him out of the statue). Also, where did those windigoes come from? Maybe they came on there own but I don't think there was enought hatred to attract them before causing the blizzard. I say that Discord, the very spirit of disharmony and chaos, summoned them there to cause disharmony and chaos, and they did just that. Some time after the founding, Discord must've found out that the windigoes failed and decided "if you want something done right, you've got to do it your self." He finally came out of the shadows and took over Equestria to establish even greater chaos. Then Celestia and Luna had to step in and stop him.

What do you think? Does this theory hold water?

I think discord discoverd equestria long after the windigoes, but have thought that maybe Discord is responsable for his own apearence and maybe he created the Griffons and Manticore because there a mix of different creatures much like himself.

This is something I came up with after re-watching both the Return of Harmony and Hearth's Warming Eve, but here goes.

So, Discord and Windigos both feed off of "disharmony" sparked by feuding ponies, or any other living being. That made me wonder, could Discord be an evolved form of a Windigo, with several features to adhere to his draconequus form, that loves to spread chaos wherever he goes? Whereas the regular windigos only appeared (and threatened to cover any surrounding land in an icy hell) when the ponies were fighting, causing outright chaos, Discord can just pack his bags and choose to bring trouble wherever he goes. What do you think?

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

I would think that Windigos were creations made by Discord in order to spread chaos and disharmony across the land. After all, we saw no signs of Discord, Luna or Celestia during Hearth's Warming Eve so, in my opinion, I thought that Discord sent his windigos out to spread his chaos whilst he was busy fighting with Luna and Celestia.

I would have thought that Discord being older then Celestia and Luna would not have evolved from the windigos since I reckon he was around for a very, very long time and instead he would have made them. Since he is the God of Chaos, it seems right to me that he would also be the creator of one of the most chaotic beasts in the world, along with Parasprites since they are adorable but are capable of devouring towns, a creature I believe Discord would simply adore.

So, to answer your question, I would say yes, they are related but the windigos were made by Discord instead of the other way around.

Edited by DiscordedPotato

I don't think so, when you look at the two of them, they both do very different things.

Discord: The Living embodiment of chaos (disorder, disorganization, etc). He causes unnatural chaos, aka, chaos not naturally found in nature, and does so for his own amusement. Yes, he did turn the Mane 6 against themselves and caused strife amongst them by turning them into the opposite of thier element, but that's not his trademark, his trademark, what he exists to do is what he did to Ponyville; uncontrollable unpredictability.

Windigoes: Are spirits that feed off a specific emotion: Hate. They don't really have much to do with chaos. They sense hatred, they come and turn things to ice. That's it. There is a big difference between chaos and hate, one is a force of nature, of which Discord causes for fun, and the other is a specific negative emotion that ponies have.

tl;dr Discord is chaos, Windigoes are hate. Discord happened to cause strife against the Mane 6 that caused some hate and irritation, but that doesn't mean that these two entities are at all related, in my opinion.