Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What is the Wonderbolts' function?

Vega

(edited)

They are like a special unit of Pegasus that excel in speed. sometimes taking care of threats to pony towns when they can. Otherwise they keep training and showing their skills to prove their elite status, That's why they do shows and races.

Edited by Ethan Pow
  • Brohoof 3

They're the 'most talented fliers in all of Equestria' as Twilight put it, so they do things that talented fliers would do, like aerial shows, attempting to save people, attempting to repel giant monsters(seriously, who in Equestria wouldn't trust the Mane 6 to save them over the Wonderbolts nowadays), and overseeing but not participating in services that require massive amounts of pegasi wingpower...

Yeah, now that I think of it, I guess they're pretty useless. :huh:

They're the Blue Angels of Equestria but it looks like they do a little more than that seeing as Spitfire came to 'help out' Ponyville when they had to generate 800 wingpower even though she just sat there and looked pretty (which she did pretty well ;) )

In real life, their equivalents are the US Navy Blue Angels, or the USAF Thunderbirds, which are both Flight Demonstration Teams.

Posted Image

Blue Angels, formation "D". The Wonderbolts' costumes are designed similarly to their livery.

The Blue Angels specific job is to enhance recruitment for the Navy and the Marines, but you can only get in unless you have very high grades in your service performance and more than 5000 hours of flying time.

• Brohoof 5

I know that they are based on the Blue Angels; it just seems that they do more than just stunt shows.

Yeah, but Equestria doesn't seem to have a military. They only have internal security like...I donno the Swiss or something. But I know a few people who saw the Thunderbirds/Blue Angels at airshows and wanted to be pilots based on that, so I guess that's the parallel.

That being said, Canterlot has a HUGE security foce... I wonder what else is out there...(aside from Changelings and whatnot)

What do they do? Well for starters, they burn tons of JP-8, generate tons of TFRs, divert Block 52's from where they would actually be useful, and obligate weekend shifts at--

:blush:

Wait, we're talking about the Wonder Bolts, aren't we?

That being said, Canterlot has a HUGE security foce... I wonder what else is out there...(aside from Changelings and whatnot)

In Equestria, the only thing keeping the denizens of hell from escaping is a big dog. I'd have a huge security force too.

I suppose they're kind of like a sports team/...I dunno HELPY TEAM.

Since they appear to help out with everyone n' stuff.

I don't get them either. Why do they use jet packs when they're Pegasus ponies? Also, why doesn't Spitfire help in creating the tornado in Hurricane Fluttershy? "Oh no! We're exactly five wingpower short! That's about what Fluttershy is capable of! Spitfire could join in, and we'd be well over that, but we'd rather badger Fluttershy into helping!"

So basically, they're Pegasus ponies who don't use their wings, and don't help out when they should.

I don't get them either. Why do they use jet packs when they're Pegasus ponies? Also, why doesn't Spitfire help in creating the tornado in Hurricane Fluttershy? "Oh no! We're exactly five wingpower short! That's about what Fluttershy is capable of! Spitfire could join in, and we'd be well over that, but we'd rather badger Fluttershy into helping!"

So basically, they're Pegasus ponies who don't use their wings, and don't help out when they should.

The Wonderbolts do fly on their own. If you're referring to the apparent trails of smoke they leave behind, those are actually clouds (often thunder clouds), akin to Rainbow Dash leaving a rainbow in her wake.

The Wonderbolts were also called upon to save Rarity from Spike when he grew into a enormous dragon in "The Secret of My Excess." Therefore, they must have a function similar to the air force---or are at least recognized as being able and agile enough to potentially rescue ponies in need. (I say "potentially" because twice they failed, and both times involved Rarity requiring saving.)

The Wonderbolts do fly on their own. If you're referring to the apparent trails of smoke they leave behind, those are actually clouds (often thunder clouds), akin to Rainbow Dash leaving a rainbow in her wake.

The Wonderbolts were also called upon to save Rarity from Spike when he grew into a enormous dragon in "The Secret of My Excess." Therefore, they must have a function similar to the air force---or are at least recognized as being able and agile enough to potentially rescue ponies in need. (I say "potentially" because twice they failed, and both times involved Rarity requiring saving.)

I think it because they have having too many bad days... specially dealing with the mane 6... maybe its a curse or something.

They look pretty and give other Pegasi something to shoot for. Then, when a young flyer actually makes it to the level of Wonderbolt, they either leave quickly after finding out the Wonderbolts' secret, or they stay with them for their purpose. Their true purpose...build young ponies up to be Wonderbolts, but then let a number of them go to perhaps surpass the wonderbolts in the end.

I'm pretty sure stunt shows are all they do, but there's nothing wrong with that.

Have you heard of the Blue Angels? They're a group of IRL jet pilots who have incredible skills and perform aerial shows. They are kind of famous.

Ponify them and you get the Wonderbolts.

They also can be called upon to save ponies (like Rarity) just because they're amazing fliers.

I'm going to assume the Wonderbolt's job are to be some kind of air force as well as just a couple of awesome pegasi. After all, they did go to fight Spike in 'Secret of my Excess'.

The upper crust snooty ponies need something that they can make bets on! There is a thriving bookie racket involving betting on Wonderbolt races! Haven't you heard the rumors? Derpy used to be the star of the Wonderbolts, until the day she refused to throw a race. The mob caught up with her, and knocked her silly! The rest, as they say, is history!
  • Brohoof 1

My headcanon assumes that they're an elite group of aerial performs who, in time of peace, entertain crowds, and in times of war (we all know it exists) are the head of the Equestrian Air Force.

I also love to assume that they're some of the most important ponies in the Empire, and have been a stable group for hundreds of years.

But that's just my head canon.

Eh, I feel so redundant.

They're a special flying forces team that primarily does shows and races, but also works as protectors of Canterlot, Cloudsdale and Ponyville when in a crisis, like when Spike went rampant. Not law-enforcers persay, but just a tactical forces team like SWAT that's brought in when things get heated and need extra attention.