Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What if an earth pony wanted to join the Wonderbolts?

cider float

This is not speculation, just what I'd consider a cool idea. What if there were some way to trade one's Earth Pony traits for the abilities of a Pegasus, kind of a racial transition spell or some such that would allow those unhappy with the way they were born to change their physiological traits to match that of the race they desire to be?

Since there's a spell for changing ponies into breezies, I'm not entirely sure such a thing is impossible.

during the show, you have seen non Pegasus ponies fly. Rarity with her butterfly wings and pinkie with her flying contraption. if an earth pony wanted to be a wb, they could get skilled enough at using these forms of flying to join

Because Rainbow dash lives in cloudsdale. :toldya: I'm not sure why you think living in cloudsdale would be a requirement but I'm pretty sure it's not.  

That being said, it would probably be impossible unless sompony invented the jet. 

Or a unicorn magiced them a pair of fake wings.

Whoa!  :-o Does that mean the Grumpy Cat cutie mark is legit too?

I want Grumpy cat to exist in Equestria. 

In fact, RD /does/ live in cloudsdale.  However, your right, that might not be a requirement.  My thinking there was that since only pegasi can navigate Cloudsdale, they could only be the ones to become Wonderbolts.

In fact, RD /does/ live in cloudsdale. However, your right, that might not be a requirement. My thinking there was that since only pegasi can navigate Cloudsdale, they could only be the ones to become Wonderbolts.

Rainbow Dash used to live in Cloudsdale, she now lives in Ponyville.

Also, Wonderbolt Headquarters doesn't seem to be located in Cloudsdale, but it is indeed on a cloud, which Earth ponies can't stand on without assistance.

• Brohoof 1

Rainbow Dash used to live in Cloudsdale, she now lives in Ponyville.

Also, Wonderbolt Headquarters doesn't seem to be located in Cloudsdale, but it is indeed on a cloud, which Earth ponies can't stand on without assistance.

This. Rainbow Dash's house is located above Ponyville. It is my understanding that Pegasi can basically build their own homes out of clouds. I imagine Rainbow just grabbed a few clouds, cobbled them together, and made a house floating somewhere above Ponyville, as opposed to Fluttershy, who chose a more grounded house due to her desire to have a home that could be more easily... ahem... "visited" by her animal friends. I wouldn't be surprised if other Pegasi have homes in the clouds around Ponyville, though we've yet to see this to my knowledge.

• Brohoof 1

Would be an awesome episode for the concept of 'Dreams are not always what they are brought up to be'. Kind of a depressing topic but it is a very true thing.

I thought we already got something like this addressed with The Fault in Our Cutie Marks.

It might feel a little redundant if we got both of these episodes covering the same/similar topics.

• 2 years later...

First off, I don't really see why an Earth Pony would want to join the Wonderbolts. I mean, they can't fly so therefore why would they want to join a flight brigade. Because of that, if one really did want to join the Wonderbolts they still couldn't do it. The Wonderbolts would probably just tell them that they couldn't because they don't have wings.So yeah, it wouldn't happen.

2 minutes ago, Landi72 said:

First off, I don't really see why an Earth Pony would want to join the Wonderbolts. I mean, they can't fly so therefore why would they want to join a flight brigade. Because of that, if one really did want to join the Wonderbolts they still couldn't do it. The Wonderbolts would probably just tell them that they couldn't because they don't have wings.So yeah, it wouldn't happen.

Yeah, that seems to be what everyone agreed... nearly 3 years ago.

4 minutes ago, Latecomer said:

Well, I guess now we know? (Although the story is a bit questionable.)

Indeed. Given pegasus ponies don't actually use aerodynamic principles to fly, it seems odd. But equally, earth ponies DO have magic, related to their cutie mark and special talent, and that acts only on themselves. Perhaps an earth pony able to produce Wingpower isn't that much of a stretch in Equestria?

614690374_NotAnyMore.png.b458e408d4a7e3f0530c2c805b88354b.png

5 minutes ago, CypherHoof said:

Indeed. Given pegasus ponies don't actually use aerodynamic principles to fly, it seems odd. But equally, earth ponies DO have magic, related to their cutie mark and special talent, and that acts only on themselves. Perhaps an earth pony able to produce Wingpower isn't that much of a stretch in Equestria?

614690374_NotAnyMore.png.b458e408d4a7e3f0530c2c805b88354b.png

Possibly - that would explain why such wings hadn't become a common thing, at least.

9 minutes ago, Latecomer said:

Possibly - that would explain why such wings hadn't become a common thing, at least.

Well, according to the comic the wonderbolts DID use them, because they were better for heavy lifting - which would imply that a natural pegasus pony could channel wingpower though them to produce lift, and which would match how the injured Rumble could use one.

I am assuming the cover shot of AJ in one is just poetic licence though :D

Depends on what defines the wonderbolts ; if it's supposed to be a flying unit, then the earth pony would say oof. Else, it's debatable (considering the screenshots of comics I see above)

• Brohoof 1

40 minutes ago, Xeltor said:

Depends on what defines the wonderbolts ; if it's supposed to be a flying unit, then the earth pony would say oof. Else, it's debatable (considering the screenshots of comics I see above)

Perhaps more context?

933546895_fixedwing.png.6eeb9d158e4af7abdabb43aa9b654cba.png

On 12/7/2016 at 1:40 AM, cider float said:

It's impossible for an earth pony to fly but what if they wanted to become a Wonderbolt? How are they going to reject him? Tell him down by saying, "Sorry you're not a pegasus thus you can't join."

To be a pilot in the real world, you have to pass medical checks. Colorblind people, for example, cannot be pilots.

So, I'm pretty sure they would either just say "You cannot fly, what would you be doing here" or, if the earth pony insisted, just have them take a standard entry exam, which involves flying (fly this course without hitting anything and in less than x minutes), and the earth pony (and Scootaloo and Fluttershy) would fail.

As for the earth pony building an airplane - I'm pretty sure the Wonderbolts would not accept that (maybe there is some other team) including safety reasons (airplanes create different air turbulence than a pegasus would and then there is an issue of a pony getting hit by the propeller or sucked in a jet engine). I cannot join a running competition, while on a motorbike too.

Pegasus ponies and earth ponies are most likely not accepted in the school for gifted unicorns too.

• Brohoof 1

9 minutes ago, Lucky Bat said:

Make him/her paper wings! Lol 

Well in context - canvas. But I suspect that an earth pony CAN use wingpower magic if their special talent allows it.  After all, -Pinkie- is an earth pony, and physics just goes up and goes home when it sees her coming....

1 minute ago, ExplosionMare said:

They could create artificial wings for them

If such things are possible (and capable of matching the best flyers in Equestria, at that) then why have we never seen any?

• Brohoof 1

18 minutes ago, Latecomer said:

If such things are possible (and capable of matching the best flyers in Equestria, at that) then why have we never seen any?

Because there is no real call for it. Glider wings would be useless (other than for getting down from high places) unless the pony wearing them could use flight magic; almost all pegasus ponies have flight magic, with a few exceptions, and almost no earth ponies or unicorns do.

Be curious to see if Scoots could fly using canvas wings though.