Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

"Intelligent" species or civilizations of FIM (and possible others)

AIMonkey

Sorry if thread already exists, couldn't find anything that fast.

So I was just thinking

post-5051-0-84621800-1344196339.png

(and maybe you know what happens when I think to much...), which species do we have that resemble intelligent civilizations as in having a language, a society/community, perhaps also currency or something equivalent.

Probably some better way to word that, but I hope you all get what I mean.

(Not all ancient civilizations worked with an economy based on a currency like we do now)

And perhaps, which unknown species could fit the bill (like showing up in future episodes)

Thought I'd type it out a bit

So here's comes my big post (which I hope you find interesting at a total of 8k+ characters)

On earth it's basically only Humans... but the world of FiM throws in something new there. Adding other species which have their own or shared civilization and contribute to that as any other would.

Like if we would have Monkeys walking around doing business, buying groceries and anything we also do for a living.

Now they probably don't need to have cities or even little towns, but tribes and such should be more than enough as well. (like here how we still have human tribes right?)

So I thought about making a list of "intelligent" species and perhaps also sentient species

*looks at all the animals Fluttershy speaks/interacts with*

Feel free to post things I missed from the show and to think of other non-confirmed species who might fit the bill. correct mistakes I make or something :)

Intelligent (as described above)

• Buffalo
  • Cattle (?)
  • Changelings
  • (Diamond) Dogs
  • Donkeys
  • Draconequi
  • Dragons (?)
  • Goats (?)
  • Griffons
  • Minotaur
  • Ponies (Pegasus, Unicorn, Earth, Alicorn)
  • Sea Serpent (?)
  • Zebras
With bit of my observation and description about them:
  • Buffalo
We have seen them having tribes and interacting with the ponies of Appleloosa like any other pony would be able to. They already have a known civilization. Similar to those of Native Americans back in the days. They are seen living together with Ponies. Using pies as currency.
  • Cattle (?)
Cattle as in cows, They could possibly be integrated into the modern pony society, they can talk and interact, but have not been shown or indicate they have a civilization of theirself. Rather seem to rely on other species, residing in barns and whatnot as domestic semi-intelligent farm animals.
  • Changelings
They seem like an entirely separate civilization, ruled by a queen who is capable of communicating with other species like we see them do with Ponies (Chrysalis speaking, but also a changeling responding to Pinkie Pie's request to change in her)

Now their community probably looks completely different and more like a hive, but they seem capable enough to integrate with other societies (if they wanted...)

• (Diamond) Dogs
More specifically the Diamond Dogs, since Fiona seem to be more like a normal dog as we know it. The diamond dogs might mean there could be other sub-species who are capable of communicating with other intelligent species and living in a society.

But the 3 main Diamond dogs seem to be the only ones able to talk. All the other dogs seem semi-intelligent as they just bark (even though they can understand language)

Dogs are probably one of the more complex species around having sub-species ranging from intelligent to just sentient or your average animal (pet)

• Donkeys
Fairly similar to ponies, though far less in numbers (in these pony dominated regions that is). Other than being a different specie and looking different they function much like Ponies and mingle with their society like any other pony would be able to.
  • Draconequi
That's Discord... Most unique, and if we had more of him... they probably had their own civilization. But he's alone, though he has ruled the lands before, so he is more than capable of building up a society. and whatnot
  • Dragons (?)
These are also fairly hard to pinpoint. As they grow up they become mainly solitary creatures. Hoarding bunch of gems. But Spike is capable of a normal live like any other pony. And the teen dragons he meets also seem to support an intelligent community. Although rather fragmented for most of the time.

So dragons are capable to live in a Pony like community given the right conditions. Because when Spike got greedy he wasn't really capable of doing so anymore...

• Goats (?)
We haven't seen these a lot, they worked for Iron will. But against what price? are they earning money? or just help them around more like a pet. They do seem to be able to speak with at least Iron Will (Minotaur) because they use headsets. But just how far the Goat civilization has evolved? Not sure.

But seeing as they are quite intelligent like any other pony, it's possible they have. But might just be more like Cattle.

Edit: TessHM pointed me to the "Best Pet Song", goat just chewing there. and Iron Will's goats just meh goat sounds. So they're probably even less than cattle (for now) and more like Fluttershy's little animals

• Griffins
Most likely have their own civilization somewhere as well, like Donkeys. Gilda has gone to the Flight Camp with Rainbow Dash. And Gustav in s2e24 MMMystery. Like Donkeys, not high in numbers in these parts of the world, but function like any other.
  • Minotaur
Now, Iron Will, the only seen Minotaur, he's a money maker, which should be enough to show he can make a living in modern civilizations. Now whether there are more like him, no idea. Probably at least have tribes, maybe more.

But Iron Will could be one to teach himself modern ways and parted with his own species. Like Zecora, but just more integrated. Traveling from place to place, making money.

• Ponies (Pegasus, Unicorn, Earth, Alicorn)
They are basically The main civilization. Ruled by Princesses, what more could I say? they are the main equivalent of humans.
  • Sea Serpent (?)
He speaks, he is fabulous, he's fan named Stephen Magnet and he could fairly well design clothes and make money it seems. But he lives out in wilds. So far the only one of his kind we have seen. But if they are like him, who knows, they might contribute to the community. Although their size might cause some issues... so probably will never integrate as much into Pony society like others can.
  • Zebras
We've seen only one, but we know there are tribes somewhere. Zecora comes from somewhere right?

And maybe it's only her home place to be just a tribe. Perhaps they have a bustling city somewhere, but Zecora's tribe wanted to live by their traditional standards. Maybe the reason she lives in the forest and not in Ponyville.

But anyhow, most similar to Ponies than any other probably.

Other possible species civilizations:

Most of the species listed above seem to be hoofed, goats, ponies, donkeys, or mythical creatures, minotaur, griffins. Though of course the majority of mythical creatures are not... and not all hoofed creatures speak. (pigs have hooves right?)

But that begs the question, which species could have capabilities of speech, building up a society, economy etc.

Like... where would Elephants, rhinos and the like be? We got Buffalo/Bison so th African Cape Buffalo could probably have tribes as well right? Maybe shared with Zebras as they share the environment in our world.

Would we have cats similar to the Diamond Dogs, rather than Opal?

Also, we have canon chocolate moose. Are they just pets or a species we have not yet seen but has been seen by our Donkey friends. Which brings me to other hoofed forest creatures like Deer, or back to Africa, species like Antelope.

What about mythical creatures. We got plenty who speak, but also plenty who don't, Cerberus, Manticore, Hydras.

We probably won't see things like Centaur since those have human heads, not animal. Maybe the more Satyr, which are more similar to Minotaur as in capable of having animal heads. But the difference there might be too small for FiM.

Perhaps mythical towards Repitlians or birds might work better. Serpents ala Medusa or Naga or something.

We could even go into anorganic materials, like the Timberwolfs do, though maybe those are more suited as just wildlife.

Also, I find it kind of funny how the only Monkeys we have seen have been garden animals :lol:

*looks at his name*

Probably to close to humans.

Semi-Intelligent or Sentient species:

Now this list is probably fairly big and with a fine line. I see this group as species who are able to understand other species in communication. Much like pets. Though some seem a lot smarter than our average pet... Like Fluttershy's angel, who is capable of requesting specific things from Fluttershy. Telling time, communicating with her, just not capable of speech.

Most animals in FiM seem to understand language, but just can't speak it. I think that's probably the biggest difference when it comes to FiM species.

When I have to name something that is even below this, then probably Fish... which I think only served as food (Fluttershy, you so cruel)

Edited by AIMonkey
  • Brohoof 2

I think llamas might be interesting, too. In real life, horses/ponies and llamas don't get along very well, so maybe they could be an enemy of the ponies in the show. They already look pretty cartoonish, so it'd be cool to see them in MLP animation.

• Brohoof 1

In the new Canon Map there is a woodland named the Whitetail Forest. I'm betting Deer or Elk are the next race to be revealed.

Ooh, I overlooked that one. Probably does mean something like the white tailed deer. Perhaps we'll indeed see them appear in Season 3 in some way (since I don't think they've been seen anywhere yet)

I think llamas might be interesting, too. In real life, horses/ponies and llamas don't get along very well, so maybe they could be an enemy of the ponies in the show. They already look pretty cartoonish, so it'd be cool to see them in MLP animation.

:lol: those could be great.

Now I just thought about them just standing there, chewing away, going "Eyep" Big Mac style.

Well, on your point about the goats, Fluttershy has one as a pet (in the Rainbow Dash pet episode, can't remember the name).

Ah, I checked and there indeed seems to be a goat when the Best Pet Song begins. Just standing there, chewing.

Leads me to believe they're treated more like the Cattle.

Maybe even less then that and more like how Fluttershy interacts with her animal friends

just checked back on Iron Will's goats as well, they just make goat noises when they "talk" to him

All animals are just such capable creatures in FiM already :D... except for the fish

Buffalo are the best species, ever. Ever ever. There is nothing you can saw on that matter other than that they are the best.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Buffalo are the best species, ever. Ever ever. There is nothing you can saw on that matter other than that they are the best.

:o They managed to get paid in sweet apple pies for just doing what they do, stampeding around the plains, and not destroying Appleloosa in the process

Seems like a sweet deal to me

Edited by AIMonkey

:o They managed to get paid in sweet apple pies for just doing what they do, stampeding around the plains, and not destroying Appleloosa in the process

Seems like a sweet deal to me

Don't hate the buffaloes, as I am their Queen. Ask anyone on the site. ASK MY NAME CHANGES. I AM THE QUEEN.

(If people can't tell yet, I really, really love buffaloes.)

In the new Canon Map there is a woodland named the Whitetail Forest. I'm betting Deer or Elk are the next race to be revealed.

I was thinking that too. They seems like the next likely animal to be revealed. And i was also. They also have horns, well antlers, so is it possible that they can use magic? idk. That probably sounds like a stupid idea.

Ooh, for those wondering about Deer, it seems it almost got made into the show (unreleased episode concept from Lauren Faust)

Starting at 6:15, it's mentioned Lauren Faust had an idea for an episode which was never made, involving a Pony who grew up with a family of Deer in White Tail Wood.

No info on whether the Deer were sentient or not though :P

Does make me wonder if the current team would be considering to implement Deer in an episode in some form or way.

It seems like the ponies are tyrants in their world. They are fearful of Zebras, enslaved Sheep and Cows, keep the Diamond Dogs underground and in hiding, etc etc. Seems like a pretty vicious race.

I'm still confused about the whole Dog/Diamond Dog thing, especially with Winona around. Maybe Diamond Dogs are genetically enhanced dogs from far away lands? XP I dunno

Or they could be a race of bandits, pirates and raiders, like the vikings. Heheheh.
  • Brohoof 1