Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What does it take to be brony?

Toughbrony20

I ask this question because I've just recently joined the herd last week, and I'm seeing how so many bronies praise the show for its appeal to a wider audience. My question is, Do seasoned bronies consider My Little Pony their favorite show, because if that's the case I can't consider myself a brony!

It doesn't have to be your favourite show, that's silly. That's like saying I'm not a fan of Mudvayne just because they aren't my favourite. Nah, being a brony just means you're a fan that's not a part of the "target*" demographic. Don't sweat it.

Welcome to the herd. B)

*The show truly is supposed to be for all ages, but they have to have an actual demographic set too, so they can rate it and whatnot.

• Brohoof 1

Nope, a brony is a fan of the television cartoon My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic who isn't within the target demographic.

I wouldn't consider myself a veteran, but I've got about 9 months under my belt and MLP does NOT have to be your favorite show. At the moment, it's definitely my favorite cartoon being aired right now but I liked Avatar: The Last Airbender more.

While I am currently obsessed with the show, I don’t think it has to be your favorite show, though my opinion may be seen as invalid because I’m not a “seasoned” Brony but welcome to The Herd, it’s always great to have new fans. :lol:

• Brohoof 1

To me a brony is just someone who watches the show and does one thing or another in the fandom. It doesn't matter if its just looking up some videos or make music or fanfic a bony is a fan of the show that at lest looks at something in the fandom.

My question is, Do seasoned bronies consider My Little Pony their favorite show

The hell how do you describe this 'seasoned brony'? Do we serve them in spices?

By definition alone, a brony is a fan of MLP:FiM, that's all. You can easily be a Whovian and a Brony at the same time

• Brohoof 2

You don't have to have MLP take precedence over every other thing in your life. There is a word for obsesive bronies like that but I am not going to say it here because it is not a nice word. No, all you need to be a brony, you watch the show and like it, nothing more nothing less. Being part of a great community is a added bonus of being a brony, you get to look at amazing fan made art work, and you get to listen to awesome fan made brony music. In most cases bronies are friendly and helpful, just don't go to 4-chan mlp boards, those people are jerks.

• Brohoof 1

We do not have membership cards. In essence if you consider yourself a Brony, then you are a Brony. If you really enjoy watching MLP and have seen at least the majority of the episodes you might be considered a Brony even if you do not admit it to yourself.

In your case you seeked out a message board that is dedicated to MLP...

Welcome to the herd.

Actually as long as the wait has been for the third season, a lot of us would probably be envious of the fact that you still have new episodes to see. If you are watching 9 eps per week, you will probably catch up on time for the third season.

Another recurring issue is the fact that I've only seen 9 episodes within a week, I feel like I'm being left in the dust by these other "veteran" bronies who are anxiously waiting for the 3rd season

To be fair, you don't need to know everything about the show to consider yourself as a fan. My suggestion is to walk it slow, don't rush and read every article and blogs about Fim, just play it slow and watch the episodes whenever you got some meantime.

if someone dare to ridicule others just because he knows more about FiM, then he might as well an idiot

Now this is a real thinker, and this is just me speaking of a hypothetical situation, what would happen if a person that is know as a "tough guy" I.e a pro boxer or mixed martial artist, were to reveal to society that he like MLP?

To Be a Brony

There is only one rule, not big, not small, not entirely different at all.

Regardless of where your at, be it the mall, or a Hall, in your school,

or at a pool

The important key part, is that you keep this one fact inside your heart.....

Never deny the fact that you like the show, because true friends arise, as the fake ones will go.

So in a matter of speaking, without any peeking.

One can be a Brony, as long as you do not deny the ponies.

---------------

• Brohoof 4

I think it takes a lot more to being a brony than you think. Yes, there is obviously 'you gotta like the show', that's what makes you a brony, but there is a condition for being a brony.

And that condition is none other than the sheer patients, skill, and ability to deal with haters.

- There will always be people who will dispise, curse, and hate MLP and bronies. They won't listen to logic, reason, rationality, and they certainly won't 'give the show a try.' Their that stubborn.

When you learn to ignore anti-bronies, both in real life and on-line, you can easily be a great brony. 8)

Now this is a real thinker, and this is just me speaking of a hypothetical situation, what would happen if a person that is know as a "tough guy" I.e a pro boxer or mixed martial artist, were to reveal to society that he like MLP?

Then he would just be known as a brony?

If they said anything bad he could just beat their ass if he chose to.

It might even help out the brony fandom (not the ass beating part, mind you. Just the whole super macho man being one)

Nah, you just have to like the show, that's it. And I don't believe there are "seasoned" bronies. We're all equal, no matter how many fanfics written, art created, or music performed, where all on the same level of bronydom.

I'm just going to come clean and admit it, that was not a hypothetical situation, that's what I actually strive to achieve in life, to become a pro at mixed martial arts. Strike down the anti bronies with the skill to scare a guy if their discriminating against my choice of enjoying MLP. I always imagine if or when I make my debut, I have my hair dyed just like rainbow dash, my opponent not taking me seriously and in a matter of minutes winning via KO, maybe someday.....

I'm just going to come clean and admit it, that was not a hypothetical situation, that's what I actually strive to achieve in life, to become a pro at mixed martial arts. Strike down the anti bronies with the skill to scare a guy if their discriminating against my choice of enjoying MLP. I always imagine if or when I make my debut, I have my hair dyed just like rainbow dash, my opponent not taking me seriously and in a matter of minutes winning via KO, maybe someday.....

i did MMA (studied Karate, Ty quan do, and jujitsu)

i did that for 10 years of my life... i could kill someone in many different ways

and by the way, you should make your debut like that... you'd have a psychological advantage...

That would be great, but the problem is that I REALLY doubt many if any bronies watch mma. I'd be a laughing stock, but at the same time no one would do it upfront the way anti bronies do, I mean I'd think twice about making fun of a guy who can knock my head off if he wished

Nah, you just have to like the show, that's it. And I don't believe there are "seasoned" bronies. We're all equal, no matter how many fanfics written, art created, or music performed, where all on the same level of bronydom.

There are definitely more experienced bronies hence the word "seasoned" but this does not make one brony better than another. "Seasoned" bronies are able to help new bronies adjust to the fandom, give them tips, and give life advice (especially when it comes to haters IRL and online). For me this entire forum was a learning tool, there were so many "seasoned" bronies that helped me out here. Take it from someone newer to the fandom, there are a such thing as "seasoned" bronies. Edited by Bronynonymous

First off, welcome to the Herd! :D

Now then, I would agree MLP does NOT have to be a brony's favourite show. It's not my favourite. I would say there's thre types of fans of MLP: FiM - the "target demographic" (young girls), the "passive fans" (I use this for other fandoms too, they like the show, but aren't so interested in the fandom or the background things) and the bronies are those who really get into the fandom, by such things as joining sites like this, reading/writing/drawing/creating/watching fanwork and finding out at least a little about the background of the show.

well first i would like to point out i'm not a brony and will likely never call myself one.

if you enjoy the show and with to take the label then your a brony there is no need to go out of you way to prove your Bronieness because well its not unnecessary and i will go as far to say that those people who do that are part of the reason why i don't call myself one.

To be a brony you just need to watch the TV show. Thats it. If you don't want to considered yourself a brony, thats fine, though, that shouldn't stop other people consider you a brony.

well first i would like to point out i'm not a brony and will likely never call myself one.

if you enjoy the show and with to take the label then your a brony there is no need to go out of you way to prove your Bronieness because well its not unnecessary and i will go as far to say that those people who do that are part of the reason why i don't call myself one.

No, you only consider yourself not a brony. That dosen't mean you are not a brony. To many people you are still a brony. When people say bronies they will still include you.

In the end, you have to live with this.

Just because you don't like the label brony dosen't mean the definition should be change.

Now, don't get me wrong, I'm fine with your reasoning of not liking labels, but saying, "I'm not a brony," is entirely inaccurate. Saying, "I don't like to be labeled brony" is more accurate.

Honestly, not much in my opinion. All it really takes is a love for the show, and an appreciate and tolerance for others wont hurt either. You don't have to be some crazy-obsessed fan who talks about it nonstop, or cosplay, or anything like that to be one of us.

~~