Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Dad Walked In On Me Browsing The Forums

Zerrodo

>Pretty intolerant parents

>Haven't told them

>Don't plan to do so

I don't feel the need to bring it up. They do their own thing and I do mine. They saw my Derpy desktop and though it was some pokemon, and they hate the fact that I'm even into that. Now imagine if they find out about this.

Sometimes I wish I hadn't told them, just for the fun of keeping a secret, but then I remember I wouldn't be able to put up my pony posters and I change my mind. I love my posters.

I went downstairs singing the MLP intro and my dad was like 'Son what the hell are you doing?' and then I was like 'Singing the My Little Pony theme song' and he was like 'wtfisthis.jpeg' and then I was like 'Deal with it.'

Just kiddin', my parents are fine with the fact I like the show, we just have a laugh about it, they take the piss out of me for it, I take the piss out of them for stuff... etc etc. Though they did find out by me going downstairs singing the intro and telling them that 'My Little Pony is the greatest thing since bacon and cheese sandwiches'.

Actually, neither parent found out about the series through me. One of the kids my mom works with at her job is a Brony and recommended the series to her, and when she asked me about it I said I liked the series, but I wasn't sure if she would. We did end up sitting down to watch the first episodes and "Return to Harmony" parts one and two, but I'm still not sure if she likes it or not.

My dad asked me about an Applejack icon, and when I asked him how he knew the character, he said MLP is a guilty pleasure. His favorite is Fluttershy. c:

• Brohoof 2

Let me say that I'm a very open person. I was nervous about confronting my aunts at first, because MLP is usually a show for little girls. But they're used to my weirdness with anime and furries and my weird way of talking. I just came out and said i wanted a lot of Pony stuff for my birthday and they didn't seem to care. Well, they asked "Ponies?" "Ponies." was my response, and for emphasis I described them. 'Ya know, colorful little ponies that talk?' and they just accepted it. they just know I'm odd and have an addictive personality. I'm a member of so many fandoms that I think they've just decided to say 'Sweets is a weirdo, love her or leave her.' they chose to love me.

I don't think you should freak out or anything. Freaking out makes it worse and to a parent it makes itr seem like you're doing something wrong. If your Dad does confront you, just nod and do what I did. "I like ponies. they're cool and the show is really good. It's just a cartoon, no big deal, right?"

May Celestia be with you if he asks. And know that we're here to support you.

But there's nothing very weird on a girl liking the show.

Anyways, my mother found out cause she saw me watching it, however, I just happened to be watching the first or second episode, meaning I was starting to look into the series and wasn't a brony yet, so i simply told her what was going on. She thought the ponies were cute. And my dad is usually completely oblivious to what he sees in my screen (Not that he doesn't care about me, but lots of times he doesn't even notice what I do)

Oh, my mom likes it alright... The version from the sodding 1980s. So now she thinks that this reboot is the same weird crap as the first one.

Apparently, my parents didn't realize that it's changed (finally) after nearly 20 years.

And of course, I was clever enough to do this from long distance with email.

Edited by KakeiTheWolf

My parent's don't really care at all. They have seen all of my shirts and stickers that I have everywhere. My dad is one of those parent's that always wants me to be respectful and caring towards others, so he might actually be proud that I'm a brony (though he still doesn't know what that is).

When he see's me own the forums, he probably thinks that I'm just on one of those weird meme websites or something.

me: 'dad, I am a brony'

dad: 'a what?'

me: 'a person who likes my little pony.'

dad: 'do I have to worry now?'

me: 'no, it is a new thing on the internet :)'

dad: 'ok, don't drag me into it and have fun!'

me: 'mom, I like my little pony.'

mom: 'haha, I used to watch it when I was a kid :D'

me: 'yeah but this is different :['

mom: 'oh, really? *grabs notebook*'

me: 'yeah, it is more teenage/adult tuned.

mom: 'okay, maybe I'll watch it with you sometime :)'

me: 'cool! :D'

and that's how my mother became a pegasister like me :3

>Pretty intolerant parents

>Haven't told them

>Don't plan to do so

I don't feel the need to bring it up. They do their own thing and I do mine. They saw my Derpy desktop and though it was some pokemon, and they hate the fact that I'm even into that. Now imagine if they find out about this.

I think parents should just love you no matter what you like, and it's not like you're watching hello kitty or something, or are you?! :blink: But if your parents don't agree with it, it doesn't mean it is a problem of some sort, I guess :huh:

I don't really know my parents views on it. I suppose they don't really care, but they have asked me about if before, you know, where it came from and stuff.

To be honest, I don't really care what they think, because it doesn't really affect me, and I think it's a good attitude to have when it comes to something like this.

Parents see me browsing the forums and I got a mixed bag.

Mom: why do you like this? It's just....strange.

*I show her know your meme: MLP*

Mom: 0_o

After that she's ok, but she's still a little bothered by it.

Dad: *laughs his head off as he sees the explanation*

Dad: let him watch it honey. He's just experiencing the wonders of the Internet.

well i told my mother in while driving to keep conversation going she cried with laughter and started singing the 80's theme tune

I actually had the greatest problem with convincing myself that I should tell anybody. My dad is a really tolerating person,

he lives by motto that ,,The liberty of one ends at the very place where liberty of the other begins" (and so do I),

and is very accepting about such things. Yet I had to wait until a local magazine wrote about bronies, I would get the magazine

and set up the trap on my dad, leaving it lying around open on the pony page :D, he has read the article and then talked about

it on our evening dog-walk, and at that time I convinced myself that it is a good time to come out with it, and so I told him.

He accepted it with no problem or anything at all, although he is still amazed about how could such community have developed

in modern world :D

Mom: 'Hey [REDACTED], what are you watching?'

Me: (On phone) 'WWII in Colour.'

Mom: 'I could have sworn I saw My Little Pony....'

Me: 'ITWASACLIPONTHEFORUMS!!!'

*long silence*

Mom: 'OH-TAY'

Good thing she bought it.

• 2 weeks later...

Oh, my mom likes it alright... The version from the sodding 1980s. So now she thinks that this reboot is the same weird crap as the first one.

Apparently, my parents didn't realize that it's changed (finally) after nearly 20 years.

And of course, I was clever enough to do this from long distance with email.

The 1980's version is better IMO. Rescue at midnight castle has to be the best episode ever. Good solid animation, hand painted cels, great songs. I'm sorry, but FIM is pretty cheap in ways.

The 1980's version is better IMO. Rescue at midnight castle has to be the best episode ever. Good solid animation, hand painted cels, great songs. I'm sorry, but FIM is pretty cheap in ways.

Yes, but that was one episode. As far as the whole G1 series goes, however, it has plenty of terrible flaws: Wooden characters, generic plots, generic dialogue, incredibly boring slice of life (It was not handled horrifically well back then in most shows), et cetera. Outside of specials (excluding the movie, which was terrible), G1 was quite subpar and very boring. And besides, hand painted cels were the norm back then, so that isn't much of a point.

Of course, still better than G2 (Which is the most furry thing I've seen that has actually been televised).

My parents weren't exactly accepting. As I'm 19 and in college, they expect me to be more "grown-up" than to watch cartoons for small children. So, when they saw me watching a livestream with my boyfriend... well, it was no Pinkie Pie Party. Finally, I pulled out the foolproof plan. I told them about John DeLancie's documentary. My father, thankfully, remembered DeLancie's role in Star Trek: The Next Generation as Q. He then wanted to see which character John played. I pulled up the Season Two opener from my laptop(I have all the episodes, which further upset my mother) and set it playing at Discord's appearance. We stood there, watching for a while, and we finished the first part of the episode. Mom had left by that point, but Dad was more accepting after seeing the talent there. I also took the opportunity to tell him about Lauren Faust and Tara Strong and their previous accomplishments. Dad still doesn't 'like' that I watch MLP, but he doesn't say anything about it anymore. Mom took more convincing. After the Season Two finale, I went back to her and told her, "I just watched this awesome show. It was a parody of England's royal wedding, but instead of being all happy-happy, there was an attempted governmental takeover and the Princess got her royal butt kicked." She asked what show, and the look on her face was priceless when my response was My Little Pony. That got her listening, so I started singing the praises of the show and its fandom. The lessons learned, the sense of family I feel from the community, the creativity brought out that manifests in art, music, and stories, and the acts of kindness performed for perfect strangers, all because of a little girl's cartoon. It took a while, but she finally got the message that there's more to the show than some bright colors and a moral here and there. Now, she's asking me when Season Three starts. She wants to watch. ...I think I may have converted her to bronyism, and I have never been more proud of myself.

• Brohoof 2

Ya know, I wish I could say that I had a fairly normal story about telling my mom that I was a brony, but sadly, I can't. In reality, we were really going at each others throats one day this summer (I'm not entirely sure why) so I went and just dropped it in about the most awkward way possible, just sort of yelling, "Yeah, well, I'm a brony!" and shoving my laptop in her face with the definition of brony on the screen. Yeah, I know, that's like the worst way possible to tell one's parents!!! :lol: Anyway, it was about as awkward in execution as you could imagine, but she was so mad at me about whatever we were arguing about, that she was just like, "Yeah, so, what does that have to do with anything?" (and, really, she was right! ^_^ ). Anyway, once she'd had time to actually figure out what that meant, she later came down when my sister and I were watching it and was like, "So, you actually DO watch this show? Ummm... OK! Whatever, just don't spend too much time watching it." I think she still thinks that it's a little odd, but she knows me and knows that I take my entertainment VERY seriously, and only watch high quality programs, and I've also explained the effort and quality that the show's makers have put into the show, so I think that, overall, she's cool with it, though she may think that it's just a passing phase (hopefully she doesn't). So yeah, that's my story; about as horrible a beginning as one could be, but a pretty good ending overall. B)

Edited by Batbrony
  • Brohoof 1

My mom is accepting of it, my dad really doesn't care. My sister and my brother don't seem to care either, they all respect my choice, and yeah.

Other people's reactions are sometimes different. My co-workers don't mind, I don't really bother them about it. Sometimes, they pick on me, but we all pick on each other, so it doesn't bother me, besides, I usually have a good comeback ready.

My mom gets confused sometimes though.She'll pick up something that says "My Little Pony," and give it to me, when I see it, it was from the previous generation, so I pull out my phone, and show her the difference.

I'll admit, I was nervous to say something, and it was definitely hard, but I don't feel bad about it one bit. I was always a strange child, and never really had much of a proper childhood, so even though I'm 22, I'm still a child at heart. Cartoons always made me feel better, from the times where my parents fought, to the times where I almost didn't have my parents, and to even the hardest of times where I was taken out of the house, cartoons always made me feel better, and I guess that's part of what makes me who I am.

Tl;dr, they don't care!

I was watching then my little sister who avidly watched G3 of MLP saw me. She asked me and I told her and explained what was G4. She then ran to my mother and kept on telling her I finally watch ponies. (She was nagging to watch G3 with her a few years ago.) So then my sister got my mother to watch ponies with me. My mother was surprised on how good the show was. So now we all watch it together. Yay!

• Brohoof 2

-Mom-

The following is a dramatization with paraphrased dialogue.

Me: Hey, so, ponies. They're awesome. Should come and watch them with me sometime. Great characters, great plot (HEHEHEHEHHE, swag.) and sweet animation. Taken the internet and globe by storm.

Mom: If you like it, great. But I ask you to respect my choice, in that I don't want to watch a show about ponies. It's bad enough your sister made me watch that stuff when she was younger. I'm all good.

Me:...John De Lancie plays a villain who's basically Q all over again.

Mom: *le huge Star Trek fan. Megusta face*

-One hour later-

Mom:...I can't believe you got me sucked into this.

Me: *'problem?' face*

Mom: Why can't I have hair like Celestia? I want hair that sparkles and flows... (not even joking, she brings this up whenever Celestia comes on screen now it's pretty hilarious)

Posted Image

Well good sir, it's official, you officially win the "Best Telling Your Parent(s) You're A Brony And Convert One Or More Into A Brony" Award (say that ten times fast! ^_^ ). Here ya go!

Posted Image

Chaotic Discord, you've just won the... http://mlpforums.com/public/style_emoticons/default/dry.png well, ya know, THIS award, how do you feel right now? What are you going to do next? :)

• Brohoof 2

Ponies are serious business. So I walked up to my parents, wearing a suit, sunglasses. Had the brief case. Dramatically walked in. Told them the truth.

Well, in my eyes that's what I saw..

(What really happened.)

Walks up parents. Hey mom, dad, I like My Little Pony.

"Klol".

AND THAT'S HOW EARTH WAD MADE!

Maybe later I can tell you about now my parents found my bronyism.

My mum already views me as her weird son for a number of reasons, so it wasn't much of a surprise to her when I told her I had been watching My Little Pony.

I think she's secretly planning to buy some MLP merch for me, because she's done it in the past with my previous fandoms.