Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Is milk really good for you?

Musical-Mettaur

Let's say, water is better then milk, milk is better than pop, soo..milk is sorta in between of the main drinks people drink. I drink all 3. But im not a huge fan of milk some reason. It does have calcium and strengthens your bones and teeth, but remember...too much of anything is bad

Let's say, water is better then milk, milk is better than pop, soo..milk is sorta in between of the main drinks people drink. I drink all 3. But im not a huge fan of milk some reason. It does have calcium and strengthens your bones and teeth, but remember...too much of anything is bad

But milk isn't acidic like pop. Lol. Pour pop on a penny or on a corroded battery and see what happens. It will clean that sucker right up. Just imagine what pop does to you..

But milk isn't acidic like pop. Lol. Pour pop on a penny or on a corroded battery and see what happens. It will clean that sucker right up. Just imagine what pop does to you..

Well, yeah pop isnt the best, im just saying milk is way healthier than pop. Thats the 3 drinks I normally drink in my house, or sometimes juice

Wow, really guys?

Of course milk is healthy. It's one of the healthiest things you can drink. I'd even argue its better than water in many cases, as it has tons of nutrients that water doesn't. The fat content is negligable unless you drink whole milk or eat a lot of fat stuff anyway, in which case, switching from, say, 2% to 1% isn't going to help much.

Look at me for example. I drink tons of milk, and have ever since I can remember. I go through a gallon in 2-3 days by myself, depending on how many meals I'm having at home. I drink a lot of water, too, since I don't always want to run to the refridgerator whenever I get thirsty, but whatever.

Point is, I'm healthy and thin, and I drink a fuckton of milk.

• Brohoof 1

I sure hope it's healthy, since I kinda sorta drink twice the daily recommended amount per day XP

drinking milk is really the only healthy thing I do, since all I ever eat is junk food, and I never exercise XD I'm a scrawny weakling because of it, but who cares? not I.

It depends on the kind of milk your drinking, if your drinking pasteurized milk it's really not very good for you too have a lot. Pasteurization is set out to accomplish 2 things: Destruction of certain disease-carrying germs and the prevention of souring milk.

It is undoubtedly beneficial to destroy dangerous germs, but pasteurization does more than this-it kills off harmless and useful germs alike, and by subjecting the milk to high temperatures, destroys some nutritious constitutes.

If you can get your hands on Raw Milk your very lucky, raw milk is SO much healthier for you and Is much better tasting than store bought :)

• Brohoof 1

This video says far more about this topic than I ever could.

Fair warning, this is Lewis Black. He has a foul mouth and doesn't have a problem saying all those words people find offensive. If you're easily offended I'd suggest skipping this.

Edit: My personal opinion, I don't think milk is a necessity. But it does make certain things better. Like Oreos. Drink as much as you like. And if you can handle the milk challenge then you're drinking WAY too much milk.

Edited by Shadow Chaser

Actually, no. Milk is not good for you. All the people saying it is haven't done research and are just saying what they were told growing up.

DON'T READ THIS NEXT PART IF YOU WANT TO CONTINUE DRINKING MILK!!!!!

Milk contains puss, research it. There are actual levels of puss that are legal to be in milk. Also, milk is designed for cows. Cows are much bigger than humans, so it can cause a lot of problems for us. The closest thing on the market to human milk is goat milk. That isn't as harmful as cow milk. You can get calcium from certain vegetables.

• Brohoof 1

While we're on the note of beloved beverages being healthy for you or not...

The penny doesn't have an excretory system, so pouring pop on a penny is a rather bad comparison to make to pouring pop into yourself. The "undesirable" components of pop will be sitting in your bladder, ready to leave your body, long before it can cause any damage.

Pop is actually remarkably similar to juice as far as your body is concerned. They are both mostly water and simple sugars - the kind of sugars you find in candy and heavily processed foods, which are very easy to gain weight from. The differences are that high-quality juice will have some vitamins left in it from the original fruits, but it won't be in any amount that you couldn't make up with eating a fruit or two. Pop has chemicals which enhance its taste, colour, and longevity; but your body usually flushes these chemicals out of your system within an hour of consumption. Even if pop -did- stay in you long enough to eat away your internal tissues, biological organisms are self-healing entities (unlike the penny). You would have to try very, very, very hard to irreparably damage yourself.

The "pop will make you fat and corrupt your innards!" hype is dramatically overblown. Realistically, the worst effect you can suffer from pop consumption is gaining weight if you drink it in unreasonable quantities. And switching to juice, a "healthy" alternative, and continuing to drink as much of it as you drank pop before will not solve that problem, contrary to popular belief.

• Brohoof 2

Actually, no. Milk is not good for you. All the people saying it is haven't done research and are just saying what they were told growing up.

DON'T READ THIS NEXT PART IF YOU WANT TO CONTINUE DRINKING MILK!!!!!

Milk contains puss, research it. There are actual levels of puss that are legal to be in milk. Also, milk is designed for cows. Cows are much bigger than humans, so it can cause a lot of problems for us. The closest thing on the market to human milk is goat milk. That isn't as harmful as cow milk. You can get calcium from certain vegetables.

Please explain why I am still in perfectly good health, then.

This goes for everyone else who says it's not healthy. If it's so bad, I'm must be superhuman :P

While we're on the note of beloved beverages being healthy for you or not...

The penny doesn't have an excretory system, so pouring pop on a penny is a rather bad comparison to make to pouring pop into yourself. The "undesirable" components of pop will be sitting in your bladder, ready to leave your body, long before it can cause any damage.

Pop is actually remarkably similar to juice as far as your body is concerned. They are both mostly water and simple sugars - the kind of sugars you find in candy and heavily processed foods, which are very easy to gain weight from. The differences are that high-quality juice will have some vitamins left in it from the original fruits, but it won't be in any amount that you couldn't make up with eating a fruit or two. Pop has chemicals which enhance its taste, colour, and longevity; but your body usually flushes these chemicals out of your system within an hour of consumption. Even if pop -did- stay in you long enough to eat away your internal tissues, biological organisms are self-healing entities (unlike the penny). You would have to try very, very, very hard to irreparably damage yourself.

The "pop will make you fat and corrupt your innards!" hype is dramatically overblown. Realistically, the worst effect you can suffer from pop consumption is gaining weight if you drink it in unreasonable quantities. And switching to juice, a "healthy" alternative, and continuing to drink as much of it as you drank pop before will not solve that problem, contrary to popular belief.

This. Soda is much harder on your teeth, since in addition to sugar, many kinds also have phosphoric acids, which is what gives things like Cola and Dr. Pepper their bite. Also, sugar doesn't damage anything on it's own. It simply feeds bacteria, allowing them to grow more quickly. The bacteria secrete acids and other stuff that are bad for your teeth.

Of course, all of this only applies if you don't brush and floss regularly, so you can kill bacteria before they can damage your teeth. Just make sure you always rinse your mouth out with water before brushing. If you don't, you're just moving it the sugar and whatnot around, and very little actually gets cleaned.

• Brohoof 1

The evil capitalistic American government puts microscopic chips in the milk so that they can track your every movement!

Seriously though Store bought "regular" milk is not really that great for you. They inject hormones into the cows, that can affect the milk! I get my milk from a trustworthy source in Idaho. Not recently though I haven't been drink milk all that much. Only water, orange juice and vodka for me!

I suppose milk is good for you because of the calcium, but like OP said, you can get that from other means (mine being CHEESE!).

I never drink milk from a glass though. The only kind I can do that with is Whole Milk but that has a lot of fat in it. The only milk around our house is 2% and that is too watery for me. I can only drink 2% with cereal, cookies, or brownies. Other than that I never drink milk haha, but the cheese that I consume fills my body with enough calcium.

I had also heard somewhere that humans haven't been eating cows long enough to get used to them in our digestive system, and that technically all humans are somewhat lactose-intolerant. Just something I heard though, don't have much to back it up. Could Google it, but I is lazy. :o

• Brohoof 1

Seriously though Store bought "regular" milk is not really that great for you. They inject hormones into the cows, that can affect the milk!

Ah, about that.

The hormone in question is called rbST, and sometimes rbGH, which stand for Recombinant Bovine Somatotropin and Recombinant Bovine Growth Hormone, respectively. They are the same thing.

rbST is a protein that prolongs the life of mammary cells in cows, allowing them to lactate longer. rbST is identical to the bST naturally found in cows, it is simply made in a lab.

Milk and meat from rbST cows has not been found to be significantly different from non-rbST cows and is safe for human consumption, although cows treated with rbST are generally at an increased risk of developing health problems. It is banned in a bunch of countries because of this. About 17% of dairy cows in America are treated with rbST.

It is also interesting to note that it was originally tested as a treatment for growth deficiencies in humans in the 50s, and had no effect at all on humans.

The main source of controversy is IGF-1 (Insulin-like Growth Factor 1), which is the main way rbST increases milk production and body growth. It is molecularly identical to the IGF-1 naturally found in human milk. Large amounts of IGF-1 have been linked to an increase risk of cancer.

rbST milk does have increased amounts of IGF-1, although it still has less than human milk, and most IGF-1 is broken down in the stomach, and therefore doesn't really have any effect on the drinker.

It is also interesting to note that the FDA made it illegal to label milk as rbST Free without including a disclaimer saying that there is no significant difference between rbST milk and non-rbST milk.

But hey, it's your choice, and there are plenty of major retailers who sell non-rbST milk :)

Edited by Evilshy
  • Brohoof 3

too much of anything is bad for you. as for milk, our bodies digest goat much easier than cows milk: it's similar to human milk.

and the reason we wean babies off of milk is because as their bodies evolve so do their nutritional needs. it has nothing to do with milk being bad for you.

and yes, it is healthier to drink organic milk from "naturally raised" cows who aren't given any growth hormones. simply to lesson your own exposure. but drinking "regular" milk you get from the grocery store is not going to kill you, or directly make you sick, or any of that.

it's eating organic potatoes. conventional potatoes are the most highly chemically treated vegetable plant we eat. but eating them is not going to make you sick, or kill you. but eating organic ones will lesson your exposure to pesticides and herbicides.

...not to mention the GMO controversy in food right now...

if any of you have read the book silent spring, it's the same idea except people died from DDT exposure. no one died from drinking grocery store milk or eating conventional potatoes. it's not quite to that degree. yet atleast.

Well yes, milk is good for you, but water is much better for you, I drink more water than milk, plus the taste is much better in my opinion (milk is disgusting)

I get my calcium through other ways, mainly cheese. Plus, 18 years later, no bones broken at all, or even dislocated. :D

@@Evilshy, thanks for the details. I did not know the specific growth hormone in question. I know at my work, we had to stop selling one our top selling cheeses because we found out that the milk they were using came from cows given growth hormones and antibiotics. I hear alot about those types of issues but we never hear the details so thankyou for clarification.

And yes, anything in excessive amounts of anything is bad for you. Anything. You can even get water poisoning.

It's a cold, cold world out there.

This, sadly, is true.

If you drink too much of anything at once your kidneys will overflow, and you d potentially die. Just sayin.

I think a lot of people here are underestimating how strict FDA regulations are. There's a level of toxicity for most things, meaning that X amount of Y chemical is the most an average person can consume without getting sick. The regulations are WAY below that number, and they have to get tested quite thoroughly before a new product is allowed to be sold. Existing products are tested frequently to make sure they still meet those standards. Yes, things do occasionally slip through, but it's a pretty good bet that if something is FDA approved, it's safe.

• Brohoof 1

Please explain why I am still in perfectly good health, then.

This goes for everyone else who says it's not healthy. If it's so bad, I'm must be superhuman :P

People who cut out all unnatural things and live a 100% healthy lifestyle are never sick. They never have a cold or anything else like that. They look about 30/40 when they're 70/80 and never even feel lethargic. Unless you're like that, you are not in 'perfect health'.

Milk isn't the worst thing in the world, you can still be alive drinking it. Just like you can still be alive eating fried foods/processed foods.

The question was 'Is milk good for you?' The answer is 'No'. The question wasn't "Will milk kill me instantly?"

To be quite honest, it really annoys me whenever I tell someone something about health they always answer with such a childish "Well, why am I still alive and healthy then? By what you're telling me, I should be dead!" *sticks out tongue at me*.

You know what, you do whatever you want, I'm just going to leave you to do your own shit. But don't ever ask a question about health unless you're willing to hear an honest answer.

People who cut out all unnatural things and live a 100% healthy lifestyle are never sick. They never have a cold or anything else like that. They look about 30/40 when they're 70/80 and never even feel lethargic. Unless you're like that, you are not in 'perfect health'.

Milk isn't the worst thing in the world, you can still be alive drinking it. Just like you can still be alive eating fried foods/processed foods.

The question was 'Is milk good for you?' The answer is 'No'. The question wasn't "Will milk kill me instantly?"

To be quite honest, it really annoys me whenever I tell someone something about health they always answer with such a childish "Well, why am I still alive and healthy then? By what you're telling me, I should be dead!" *sticks out tongue at me*.

You know what, you do whatever you want, I'm just going to leave you to do your own shit. But don't ever ask a question about health unless you're willing to hear an honest answer.

I'm sorry, I was being rude and difficult, for lack of better terms. I will instead address your claims, rather than being childish.

If you want to get all pedantic about it, no, I'm not in perfect health (I was using it as an expression anyway). But based on what is in this thread, I probably shouldn't be as healthy as I am if milk is so bad. Allow me to be equally pedantic, and say that I never said that I would be dead, simply that I am in good health when, according to you, I probably shouldn't be. I did nothing akin to sticking my tongue out at you.

And also, I'm sorry, but "anybody can be 100% healthy all the time if they only eat natural healthy stuff" is somewhat dubious. You're going to have to back that up.

To address your original post:

I'm sorry, but that's a pretty childish thing to say, too. But what would I know, right? I'm just a sheep who hasn't seen the light, right?

(while researching this, I learned that it's actually spelled "pus". Interesting that so many people don't know that, because I've never seen it spelled that way.)

Pus is a mass of dead white blood cells resulting from infection. Basically, there's an infection, a bunch of white blood cells go attack it by basically eating bacteria, digesting them, and then self destructing. The "bodies" of the white blood cells are left behind Pus can get into milk when a cow has an udder infection. However, infected cows cannot be legally milked, and all through the dairy processing process, there are legal limits to how much pus can be in the milk. However, after Pasteurization, the milk is checked several more times (at the Pasteurization plant, after being shipped to places, etc.) and it cannot be sold if there is ANY pus left in it. So unless you drink raw milk, you're not drinking pus.

As for it being bad for you because cows are bigger... what exactly is the problem? Body size has little to do with nutritional content.