Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Is milk really good for you?

Musical-Mettaur

I can't believe no one's mentioned that store bought milk is fortified with Vitamin D because that's what helps your body digest calcium and other nutrients found in milk. I'm not sure if other dairy products are fortified, and someone else might have already mentioned it, but I wanted to say this just in case. And also... I drink up to four large glasses of milk every time I have waffles. That's about half a gallon. Same every time I have anything related to candy, even small amounts. And I'm the tallest person in my family, though I have a somewhat short family so that's beside the point. Can't say I'm the thinnest though.

• 7 years later...

Depend on if you are allergic to milk or not. Milk can help you grow strong bones I have heard.

The worst part is that milk tastes like cow.

I drink milk mostly as I drink coffee so I have milk. That said milk is indeed good for your bones it is very nutritious and has a lot of vitamins also good protein. So the health benefits to milk are there but then again you'll have research stating the opposite. Point is reading any research paper you should always remember we are talking about science and in science there are no facts or proofs only theories. 

Scientific research is one thing, however we must also look at the nutritional side as milk indeed has calcium which would be good for your bones. It has protein which again would be good then there is the fact you have more protein meaning you'll feel more full. Now is milk really good for you, in my mind the answer is an obvious yes. Why I say so, is simply due to the nutritional value of milk and you should always try to have your nutrients come from a variety of food sources in my mind there is no food you should avoid or have too much of rather keep a steady healthy diet my friends.

• Brohoof 1

Only thing good about cow's milk is the calcium. And I do like the taste a lot, even when it's warm. ^_^ Otherwise it's really hard on your stomach. 

• Brohoof 2

(edited)
5 minutes ago, Lucky Bolt said:

Only thing good about cow's milk is the calcium. And I do like the taste a lot, even when it's warm. ^_^ Otherwise it's really hard on your stomach. 

wdym by hard on your stomach? It's a liquid

Edited by Princess of Luck 🍀⚡🔥

4 hours ago, Lucky Bolt said:

I'm gonna teach you something that I learned when I was in Florida. You have probably never done this. Buy a bottle of Hershey's Syrup.... Chocolate Milk!

5 hours ago, Princess of Luck 🍀🔥 said:

wdym by hard on your stomach? It's a liquid

It’s hard on your insides to digest, it’s cows milk. It’s meant for cows not people. Duuuuh. :P

• Brohoof 1

(edited)
26 minutes ago, Lucky Bolt said:

It’s hard on your insides to digest, it’s cows milk. It’s meant for cows not people. Duuuuh. :P

It's not that hard for your stomach to digest milk lool

Unpopular opinion : Cows milk is better than human breast milk lol

I was never breast fed in my life lool since I was smart enough from day 1 to know what milk would help me grow tall and strong (the strong part is debatable)  :squee:

Edited by Princess of Luck 🍀⚡🔥

6 hours ago, Lucky Bolt said:

It sounds like you might just be Lactose Intolerant and haven't been formally diagnosed yet.

Uhm, yeah...? It's a great source of B Vitamins and Calcium... It also has smaller amounts of other vitamins and minerals. Though I suppose it isn't good for somebody who's lactose-intolerant. Anybody could say any different, and make it sound like they know things by putting their misinformation in a research paper. Though to be fair we aren't necessarily designed to drink cow's milk... That's why they fortify it with D vitamins.

Also, I swear parts of this milk wiki page had to have been edited by a vegan out to spread misinformation... They're saying some really obvious falsehoods that seem intent to make people stop drinking cow's milk. Which it will not because they're lies, and I know that for a fact. :unamused:

i don't drink that much milk on it's own,but it's a great ingridient for making other stuff like many baked goods or yogurt
but most importantly, milk makes cheese so it's great by default

... oh right, the question was if it's actually good for you not if it tastes good, well.. as long as you're not lactose intolerant it's good, but i doubt its as important as they advertised it to be

• 2 weeks later...
(edited)

Well, studies show that milk increase the risk of certain cancers and excess intake of milk has negative effects on bone health and also increase the risk of prostate cancer. Cows are also fed antibiotics and hormones which might have feminizing effects in men and also give you antibiotic resistance. No milk or low intake of milk has been shown to have positive effects though. So yeah in a health perspective drinking milk increases the risk of certain cancer and increase antibiotic resistance and might have feminizing effects in males even in small amount but the calcium has positive effects on bone health as long as you aren't drinking too much of it.

Edited by konakona

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, milk is good for you. It isn’t only rich in calcium but also potassium, vitamin B12, and even protein. It’s never been stated by any official source that diary is the only reliable source of calcium so to answer the no longer active OP’s question, yes, there are plenty of other foods/drinks to get it.

• 2 weeks later...
(edited)

I've never been able to stand whole / unskimmed milk (or whatever you call the kind with >0% fat), so AFAIK it's healthy.

In fact, whenever I look up health stuff it feels like the only beverages I'm allowed to drink are water, milk and then some stuff that would probably make me vomit, so I'm gonna focus my efforts on not overdrinking soda.

Edited by Ixrec

• 2 years later...