Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Is milk really good for you?

Musical-Mettaur

I'm starting to think the only reason we have all these things saying it's healthy to drink milk, and we should drink it, is because otherwise the milk companies would take a dive. Think about it. There is a point where we have our children weened off, right? And supposedly it's the calcium in milk that strengthens teeth and bone? Calcium comes from all sorts of places, right?

Hm... I suppose my argument isn't so well constructed. A friend of mine told me all this, I'm just putting his wise words here. Also, what does one do when they unintentionally offend someone with something? Apparently, some people take characters seriously. Or take people taking them seriously, as people to put on an ignore list.

Well i hope its not *BAD* for you considering I eat cereal nearly every night...

I suppose it does have some fatty things in it. We usally only have like 1% so hopefully its not to bad.

Honestly i could easily drink cereal with skim milk or something tho.

I'm sure theres worse things for you atleast. Or I hope... Otherwise I may be screwed from having so much cereal :P

Well, I don't really think it hurts in small doses. Milk also has many other benefits besides just Calcium which helps with strong teeth and bones, but it can also help gain muscle after a workout. Of course that doesn't mean you should chug down a gallon a day, since it can be fattening if not reduced or skim.

Chocolate milk is also very delicious. If it's not good for the body then it's at least good for the soul, and that's fine enough for me. :P

• Brohoof 1

*insert giant conspiracy about how government subsidizes farms, including milk farms, so government pushes propaganda to have kids drink milk so the farms keep producing and thus giving the government some sort of benefit or control over something idk, just don't put on a tin foil hat*

Well milk isn't the best thing you can drink and it isn't the worst thing which I think is the point they are trying to make. Energy Drinks< Milk< water. There isn't anything in this world that is good for you if you eat it in large quantities, except cotton balls and bicycle tires. It also depends on the milk you drink. Obviously some milks have a lot more fat than others.

Your argument could be applied to many other things like fruits, vegetables and generally other things that are considered healthy. You could get the vitamin and mineral benefits from other foods, there x vegetable isn't really good for you.

Yes, low fat milk is good for you when compared to energy drinks, sode and some juices. No, milk is not good for you when compared to water.

Milk is not the best for you because it is so fatty (and it has to be to quickly strengthen baby animals and humans once they are born and need energy), but it is not bad for you if placed in a balanced diet. I have been reading about milk in chemistry lately, and it can vary in healthiness depending on the form (milk, cream, butter, etc.), but I don't think it's a plea to sale milk and keep the businesses running.

I know that in the U.S. most people (including me) would buy the same amount regardless of the health factor (unless it was extremely unhealthy).

Energy Drinks< Milk< water.

It's true, the energy drinks are so bad for you, but I'm soo addicted to them. :(

Loaded Cherry NOS is sooo good.

And yes, anything in excessive amounts of anything is bad for you. Anything. You can even get water poisoning.

It's a cold, cold world out there.

Isn't dairy like, an important food group that you're supposed to get a decent intake of each day? But whatever, screw milk, I'd rather get my milk intake from ice cream. Mmmmmmm, ice cream sounds really good right now.

Milk is like pure calcium, it helps a lot in strengthening bones and teeth. I should know I drink tons of it, Im 16 and Ive never injured a bone in any way, shape, or form. Well... besides losing my baby teeth but that happens to everyone.

It depends where you get your milk from. First of all, a human's ability to drink another creatures bodily fluids, is thanks to a mutation. We're not really supposed to be drinking other creature's milk, as it is natural for us to drink human breast milk, though I doubt anyone will be bottling that anytime soon....

But since these days an average person can drink cow's milk, it certainly has some good minerals we could use. Where you get it from though, can change whether or not it's good. Raw milk? Totally great for you! Though it has risks, unpasteurized milk can contain bacteria, or other pathogens your body may not process, and get you sick, but this is not to say all 'good' milk is unpasteurized, but taking a look at the establishments that do pasteurize their milk, makes me never want to drink it. First off, the cows just stand there...in shit...all day, with no relief, This is not to say that ALL milk farms do this, but most of the major American ones do. The cow gets a nice genetically modified corn diet, and usually dies from infections, so I don't think I want to be drinking anything coming out of an Infected animal...boiled or otherwise

Personally, I don't drink milk all that often. Two people I know drank it with every meal though and they turned out to be beasts. One of them is 6ft 7in, 285 pounds, and a future potential NFL lineman. The other was 5ft 5 in but was the strongest guy I ever met.

Yes, they were both slightly overweight, but they convinced me that milk does in fact make you grow big and strong. As long as you drink it in moderation or in low fat forms then it really is good for you.

Biologically, anything that we underdose or overdose can cause real problems to our bodies. That's why we need to regulate it. Too much of anything can kill you, even milk. Plus, too much 2% milk causes kidney stones, so I always go for dat Skim.

An awful lot of responses here are citing milk to be "bad" for you because of its fat content. It may be that milk is unnecessary past the age of infancy and that the whole "drink milk to be healthy!" thing is a product of the dairy industry. However, the "fat is bad, no-fat is good!" message is a product of the fitness industry, and a lot more misguided than one might think.

Your body needs some fat intake to remain healthy. But as with everything else that is stuffed into a biological organism, too much of it can and will lead to bad things, escalating from minor effects all the way to death depending on the dose. The fitness industry has succeeded greatly in promoting the latter message, but has virtually ignored the former.

We drink 3.25% milk in my household exclusively, and it has a noticeably richer taste to it than 2%, 1%, or skim milk. Skim milk in particular is essentially water with calcium and lactose. You might as well take a nutrient pill. We don't eat ultra-high-fat foods in my family every day, so "full" milk is a delectable luxury we're very happy to afford ourselves.

Objectively speaking, you can do without milk in your diet if you want to. The chief component of milk that gives it its reputation as a "healthy" drink is calcium. Let's face it - milk tastes good and has an important nutrient in it. It contains a lot of energy in the form of fat, which I'm willing to wager is precisely why it is popular as a breakfast beverage. If you have a huge, reasonably (not overly!) fatty breakfast, your metabolism will spend all day digesting it and continuously feeding your body with it, preventing late-afternoon and evening lethargy. A fatty glass of milk can be a great energy and calcium booster, provided you consume a reasonable amount of it (as with anything else, really).

The fact that most commercial milk comes from cows doesn't bother me much, as I'm more interested in the chemical makeup of the liquid in my glass than philosophizing over whether it's right for humans to be the only species that drinks the milk of another species. Humans are also the only species that cooks its food, domesticates flora and fauna alike for food, and heavily processes much of its food in industrial factories. I'd say there are some much weirder stories behind some of the stuff we consume than milk being a non-human's bodily fluid. :)

Chocolate milk is also very delicious. If it's not good for the body then it's at least good for the soul, and that's fine enough for me. :P

Except when it's chocolate "milk" that is made with water, and doesn't have a trace of milk in it. Even worse is when it doesn't have any cacao in it, either. That stuff isn't very delicious at all.

• Brohoof 5

This topic is unnecessarily controversial - of course milk is good for you. It's not just something parents say because it's the norm, it's scientifically proven that it's healthy for a number of reasons. Like Feld0 said, fat content is necessary for the body to function, just like calcium and all that jazz. Getting worried that the tiny bit of fat in milk is going to get you killed horribly is pretty stupid - the vast majority of prepared food has fat in it, and by that logic it would be lethal to eat.

• Brohoof 2

So there are LOTS of sites around the internet saying milk is good and milk is bad but the truth is, Milk is probably not that great. Cows milk is designed for Cows not humans. here is an interesting site about milk http://saveourbones.com/osteoporosis-milk-myth/

I think it is a nice thing to have once and a while but I do believe that drinking milk often is not a good idea.

(Yes I am an oober hippie ^_^)

You got me thinking about this... What the hell...

Idk what to think about milk... All I know is it comes from cows... Lol

And that it's the only good liquid that goes with cereal...

Rice milk, Almond Milk, goat's milk...etc these are all good liquids to go with anything. Goat's milk is fantastic... Goat's milk cheese is far superior to the weak, bland flavor of cows milk cheese.

Milk is something to drink, it's there. For me, I drink milk daily, 2% if I have a say. I think it's good and I have energy for my day, though I also walk regularly. The way I see it, eat what you want, but put in the work to balance it out.