Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Parent & Friend Reactions to your Bronyness: Before & After

Braeburn Apple

They think it's odd but not much else. Although, they equate it with the horrible G3 series, so...

Honestly, I expected much worse. Where I live, saying you are a brony is about as bad as saying you are gay. And trust me, saying you are gay where I live is VERY bad.

I don't live with mine, and they know, but are completely indifferent. They've always been very accepting of who I am and what I like (Which are both more than a bit off) and generally pretty much stay out of my life in those areas. What they really think about it is not very important IMO.

My family is weird, so this is just one more thing to add to the odd pile, I guess. One aunt is vaguely weirded out by it, but she knows my dad who is... Odd is a good word I think. I come by my strange honest, let's say. So one aunt is okay, the other doesn't care because she doesn't like high pitched voices, and respects that the show is cool and all, or whatever. she rose an eyebrow when I told her about the show's demographics, but other than that, no real reaction.

I'm 22, so what my parents think doesn't much matter to my day to day activities, but I respect them. My dad doesn't bother with asking why I like the show, Mom has other problems with other things I used to be interested in, so she doesn't pry.

Funny story though: My Dad had just found out that I liked ponies after I explained to him the whole demographic thing and that it was like the best cartoon on TV right now. He sighs, uh-huhs and goes to use my computer for a minute. We talk about other stuff, because we are more chill than your icebox filled with liquid nitrogen, in an iceberg, in deep space. About ten minutes later, he finishes what he's doing on the computer and shuts Chrome down. Behind it as my desktop is a picture of Pinkie and five other ponies, huddled around the camera, staring directly at the viewer with their gigantic hypnotic eyes.

My dad actually yelled in surprise. Then he kept yelling, because it was funny.

Conclusion: Dad may not get it, but he's got bigger fish to fry, like doing everything he can to make others happy, much like my favorite, Pinkie Pie.

Bam, rhyming conclusion. I'm so cool.

When I started watching MLP it was online and then I moved to the tv and my parents gave me these weird looks and proceeded with: "How old are you? >> 20. >> So why are you watching something that's TVY?" Because ponies are cool! No one in my family get's it, but all my friends and my boyfriend are Bronies. So I have my support.

(edited)

My mom didn't really mind that I watched it (she even tried it out herself, dunno how many episodes she watched, haven't really asked), I dunno about my dad, though.

edit: I'm also getting a shirt (or 2) this weekend! :D

Edited by Endpol
  • Brohoof 1

My grandpa doesn't care, or really, I should say he isn't negatively bothered by it.

He did say "brohoof" yesterday which made me feel all queasy inside. :/

• Brohoof 1

Yesterday I was watching Party of One on Netflix in my parents' basement, and my mom came up behind me and said, "You watch the strangest things"

I just told her, "I know."

It was better than getting defensive, and really, I do watch shows that are considered to be strange by "normal" people. Although I wouldn't say that my tastes are all that strange but whatevs.

It's kind of interesting that you should ask that. See, my parents have known I like MLP for a while, but that's simply because I have a large of friends that are into MLP. In fact, she takes me shopping for my little sister all the time XD

However, I don't think she actually LIKES it. She seems to believe it's a little childish, but she's completely okay with it.

My mum knows, but she doesn't really care. I'm a married adult who lives away from home, so she doesn't really mind about the things that I like. She thinks I'm silly and odd, but she's grown quite used to me being like this.