Tom

184 users have voted

1. 1. Which do you use?

• Windows
    • Mac OSx
    • Linux
    • Other

(edited)

I only use Ubuntu in my notebook. No Windows at all. Not dual boot. It's very comfortable to code with, and I can find enough software for extra stuff like Inkscape or GIMP for picture editing.

I don't have so many processes running in my background, unlike in Windows which has dozens of background processes like Antivirus and such. I really love Linux's security, efficiency and performance.

Oh, I love its interface as well. Ubuntu is very nice. It's very spacious and flexible. It has four workspace when you install it, but one workspace is more than enough for me.

Though I can't play new games with it. Nothing about the system. It's just business matter. Game companies prefer to go along rich company like Microsoft instead of a (almost) profit-less community like Linux. That's why they make games for Windows platform. Maney. Well, I'm not much a gamer, so it's not a big problem for me. laugh.png

Linux for live~ :3

Edited by Sky Warden
  • Brohoof 4

(edited)

I only use Ubuntu in my notebook. No Windows at all. Not dual boot. It's very comfortable to code with, and I can find enough software for extra stuff like Inkscape or GIMP for picture editing.

I don't have so many processes running in my background, unlike in Windows which has dozens of background processes like Antivirus and such. I really love Linux's security, efficiency and performance.

Oh, I love its interface as well. Ubuntu is very nice. It's very spacious and flexible. It has four workspace when you install it, but one workspace is more than enough for me.

Though I can't play new games with it. Nothing about the system. It's just business matter. Game companies prefer to go along rich company like Microsoft instead of a (almost) profit-less community like Linux. That's why they make games for Windows platform. Maney. Well, I'm not much a gamer, so it's not a big problem for me. laugh.png

Linux for live~ :3

I have a test for you derpy_emoticon1.png

Go out and buy a $35 dollar computer. Once you have done that, take a picture and show me it either here or in a PM.

The reason why im saying this to you only is because you like Linux. There is a certain computer which has an OS based off of Debian so I was wondering if you can find it.

Edited by Funny Snout

• 3 weeks later...

Call me an oldie, but I still use Windows XP. I like it's nostalgic feel and the simple design. I personally like Windows XP more than Windows 7. Windows XP is also "brighter and lighter and happier" than Windows 7.

• Brohoof 1

Meh, I use windows 8 on my laptop, and still trying to find a program that has a real working start button on windows 8. I have used OS X, and I haven't even tried Linux.

(edited)

Linux, specifically openSUSE.

I'd have probably stayed on Windows 7 if I hadn't had trouble with Pinnacle Studio, and had the funds to replace it with something better. But I didn't, so I went with Linux and have reaped the other benefits it has over Microsoft (with time and practise, of course).\

However, for music production I'm using a Mac because 1) I can't get JACK to work properly and 2) I have an audio interface without Linux drivers. That doesn't mean I like the Mac OS and Logic Pro though, 'cause it keeps crashing and freezing all the time. :(

Edited by Paspie

I got two Macs and a Linux box (and one Windows for gaming and crashing). Happy with my life XD

Kubuntu is my personal Linux favorite and windows 8 has been nothing but blue green screens of death.

it has so many possibilities.

Aye. Possibilities to be infected by viruses, get tons of heavy unnecessary works, get hacked, unnecessary updates, etc. People here prefer not to label one as the 'best operating system' without the phrase 'in my opinion'. ;3

Call me an oldie, but I still use Windows XP.

YAY! Pinball for the win! And don't forget that winning animation in Solitaire. XD

I'm still using Windows XP in Virtual Box as a client to test my web server on the main Linux (Ubuntu Quantal).

I'd have probably stayed on Windows 7 if I hadn't had trouble with Pinnacle Studio, and had the funds to replace it with something better. But I didn't, so I went with Linux and have reaped the other benefits it has over Microsoft (with time and practise, of course).\

I feel the pain, bro. I tried to install Rosegarden weeks ago and it couldn't work. I read the tutorial and it said that I had to config something called... I forget. I'm not a music guy, so I could hardly understand what it was telling me to do. XD

Linux is great to do many things, as long as you know how to set it right, but there are only few software which are hard to get right. I can install and use things easily (except Rosegarden) in my Quantal. :3

I feel the pain, bro. I tried to install Rosegarden weeks ago and it couldn't work. I read the tutorial and it said that I had to config something called... I forget. I'm not a music guy, so I could hardly understand what it was telling me to do. XD

Linux is great to do many things, as long as you know how to set it right, but there are only few software which are hard to get right. I can install and use things easily (except Rosegarden) in my Quantal. :3

Oh yeah, and it's not really hard to learn how to do things in the first place, which is also a plus. And doesn't Rosegarden already have Linux binaries? Why don't you use that? Unless it's some audio driver issue or something. Anyway, from what I've heard, 12.10 and up has been pretty bad. I mean, 13.04 couldn't even boot after installation for Kubuntu. Maybe it's not their time right now.

Anyway, I'd be using me some OpenSUSE right now if I weren't gaming for the first time in like, three years. For some reason, I don't feel like dual-booting. Even though I've switched back and forth to Linux and Windows so many times, I never feel like it.

Oh yeah, and it's not really hard to learn how to do things in the first place, which is also a plus. And doesn't Rosegarden already have Linux binaries? Why don't you use that? Unless it's some audio driver issue or something. Anyway, from what I've heard, 12.10 and up has been pretty bad. I mean, 13.04 couldn't even boot after installation for Kubuntu. Maybe it's not their time right now.

Aye. 13.04 is very unstable at the moment. It's still under development, so is 12.10, but I find mine lovely enough. There are indeed some minor glitches like not working session saver in gEdit (which is hell since I use it to code everyday), and the Dash Home gets very heavy to load sometimes.

Other than that, very lovely.

About Rosegarden... uhm... I haven't given any other shot after reading that confusing tutorial (what the hay is Midi anyway?). ._.

It's not a big deal. I just wanted to try my hands at music composing. I'm already busy now. :P

(edited)

I've always wanted to get accustomed to Linux, but mind you I've never really developed a need for it. GUI based operating systems are just incredibly easy to grasp and given browser extensions like Adblock and Noscript, I haven't really had any malware issues on any system. I've been satisfied with most free app extensions available for Windows, Mac, and Android operating systems. Although I don't really use my computer much outside of email and word processing.

Edited by Lyrica