Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Twilight Sparkle Alicorn/Princess Speculation [SPOILERS]

ponyvangelist

614 users have voted

1. 1. Would you approve of Twilight becoming an alicorn?

• Yes!
    • Maybe...
    • NO.

Alternitively, the title and states of princess, alicorn, and divinity are all seperate.

Celestia and Luna have all three, Cadence has the first two, and Twilight gets the second only for sure and possibly the first.

It's just Twilight stealing the spotlight for her plot to finish up. The other mane ponies don't have much of a megaplot point other than being the Elements and their good selves.

S4 will finish the alicornificated twilight plot and wrapup the others completing their lifetime wishes.

• Brohoof 1

Actually the episode is titled The Magical Mystery Cure. I think hasbro is just hyping up the princess deal to sell toys, hence Princess Coronation. The synopsis is focused on the switching of destinies and cutie marks and mentions Twilight will have to make magic to fix this. They are over blowing alicorn twilight(just as we are). Kinda like when a movie hypes up an actor and that actor only appears in the movie for like two seconds. 

A very logical way to approach the situation! *brohoof*

The thing that many people are overlooking is that all of season 3 episodes were written, produced, and completed months ago (shocking I know). Are people really so naive to think that Hasbro, DHX Media, and Studio B haven't been probing the fandom for our reactions of upcoming episodes and merchandise?

I wouldn't be surprised if that reddit post was someone working on the show, who was put up to do it so that Hasbro could get a look at how their alternative (read: brony) audience would react. They probably have accounts on all of our fandom sites, including this forum, just to watch how we react to these things.

Little girls will have their parents buy any old Alicorn princess, it didn't have to Twilight. Alicorn Twilight is probably an attempt to appease the bronies that Hasbro thought we would like because we adore Luna and Celestia so much. People just need to remember that these decisions were months ago, and Hasbro probably crossing their fingers, and biting their nails right now, because we're reacting so negatively to the idea. After all, we're a very large part of their consumer base now (last I checked the numbers said something like 86,000+).

ON TO MY FEELINGS ON ALICORN TWILIGHT:

Her design isn't a huge change from her unicorn design. No astral mane, no 3 foot horn. Good to see she's not Celestia 2. She did go through a little bit of a growth spurt though, standing a good couple inches taller than Rainbow Dash and Applejack. If I had to guess, she's still smaller than Luna and Cadance, but not by very much, she's probably eye-to-eye with Big Macintosh, maybe even a bit taller than that. Her wings are larger than an average pegasus, but not overboard like Celestia, so that's a good thing too. I imagine her voice will be deeper and sound more mature to reflect her growth. She'll probably sound more like Tara's normal speaking voice, Princess Clara (Drawn Together), or Juliet (Lollipop Chainsaw) but a little bit more nasally like Twilight's normal speaking voice. I imagine her magic will be amplified as well. Hopefully not ridiculously amplified, but a little more powerful than normal is fine.

• Brohoof 1

I wouldn't be surprised if that reddit post was someone working on the show, who was put up to do it so that Hasbro could get a look at how their alternative (read: brony) audience would react. They probably have accounts on all of our fandom sites, including this forum, just to watch how we react to these things

I sincerely doubt that reddit post was legit in any way. The way it was written seems to indicate as such. Why would someone break their NDA and risk their job? Having been under NDA before I can tell you its serious business you will get in deep trouble and most likely lose your job if found to be breaking one. Despite this all of the topics brought up in the rumor were already revealed or being heavily discussed. Alicorn Twilight pictures were leaked a while before the rumor. The only piece of unknown/undiscussed info would be the ambiguous worse thing in season 4. This person has already broken their NDA at this point why not reveal what this worse thing is? This poster has already gone full in why not? Most likely because it was someone trying to incite panic. Using already established info this person weaved it together putting it in a negative light complete with a dark foreboding ambiguous future horror. This isnt the behavior of someone who is a professional working in the industry or on the show. Just look at the twitter feeds of all show staff. They dont speak of things in a negative light that could incite panic. They always seem excited to present their hard work to a willing audience, playfully teasing us but never truly revealing anything. If it turns out that it was a person working on the show(which I highly doubt) then they probably shouldn't be working on the show as they lack a positive attitude, and spoil the hard work of others with "spoilers" and by instilling dread,anger and fear rather than anticipation. I have seen most of the staff in some way express dissapointment that we were spoiled on this. I really cant see too many positive things this rumor has done. The only thing it really seems to have done is instill a negative expectation which could and quite likely will lead to a negative confirmation bias.

​EDIT: I hate to be a broken record with this but I feel strongly about it. One must wonder how we would be reacting if this rumor had never been written in, or if it had been written in a more positive or neutral context. 

Edited by Anadu Kune
  • Brohoof 1

I sincerely doubt that reddit post was legit in any way. The way it was written seems to indicate as such. Why would someone break their NDA and risk their job? Having been under NDA before I can tell you its serious business you will get in deep trouble and most likely lose your job if found to be breaking one. Despite this all of the topics brought up in the rumor were already revealed or being heavily discussed. Alicorn Twilight pictures were leaked a while before the rumor. The only piece of unknown/undiscussed info would be the ambiguous worse thing in season 4. This person has already broken their NDA at this point why not reveal what this worse thing is? This poster has already gone full in why not? Most likely because it was someone trying to incite panic. Using already established info this person weaved it together putting it in a negative light complete with a dark foreboding ambiguous future horror. This isnt the behavior of someone who is a professional working in the industry or on the show. Just look at the twitter feeds of all show staff. They dont speak of things in a negative light that could incite panic. They always seem excited to present their hard work to a willing audience, playfully teasing us but never truly revealing anything. If it turns out that it was a person working on the show(which I highly doubt) then they probably shouldn't be working on the show as they lack a positive attitude, and spoil the hard work of others with "spoilers" and by instilling dread,anger and fear rather than anticipation. I have seen most of the staff in some way express dissapointment that we were spoiled on this. I really cant see too many positive things this rumor has done. The only thing it really seems to have done is instill a negative expectation which could and quite likely will lead to a negative confirmation bias.

?EDIT: I hate to be a broken record with this but I feel strongly about it. One must wonder how we would be reacting if this rumor had never been written in, or if it had been written in a more positive or neutral context. 

I should probably rephrase what I meant. Looking back, the reddit post is fake. However, I sincerely believe that all of those  official "leaks" were Hasbro's attempts at subconciously probing us for our feedback on the matter. Our opinions were most likely skewed already, but considering how large our fandom is, using our forums is a good way to see how we feel about the show, rather than just releasing things blindly in the dark. I've seen it done before in other fandoms (Bungie used to do it when they were still working on Halo), and really does help to get accurate feedback on ideas and products.

However, given that Lauren Faust tweeted this today:

img-1131542-1-228334__safe_lauren-faust_50f982c8a4c72de10300008f_twitter.png.png

It's clear Hasbro has overstepped their boundries on this one and went against the creator's original envision. Lauren herself is trying to distance herself from the situation, so while they may end up going about it the right way, they still shouldn't have done it in the first place.

Product placement is one thing, undermining an artist's vision is another.

• Brohoof 2

This is the end. The end of the show being good, and the end of the fandom as we know it. Hasbro has screwed us. They removed  all s1 episodes from YouTube yesterday. They are trying to kill the series to sell princess toys. I cannot see any way that they can make this work well. Cadence was fine, they could do something like that again. I am really sad, because now I see that Hasbro is trying to screw us.

• Brohoof 1

This is the end. The end of the show being good, and the end of the fandom as we know it. Hasbro has screwed us. They removed  all s1 episodes from YouTube yesterday. They are trying to kill the series to sell princess toys. I cannot see any way that they can make this work well. Cadence was fine, they could do something like that again. I am really sad, because now I see that Hasbro is trying to screw us.

No. This is the exact attitude we need to avoid. The episode before the episode Twilight "ascends" hasn't even aired yet. We need to stop worrying, and just see where this goes. Who knows, it could work out well.

• Brohoof 4

I should probably rephrase what I meant. Looking back, the reddit post is fake. However, I sincerely believe that all of those  official "leaks" were Hasbro's attempts at subconciously probing us for our feedback on the matter. Our opinions were most likely skewed already, but considering how large our fandom is, using our forums is a good way to see how we feel about the show, rather than just releasing things blindly in the dark. I've seen it done before in other fandoms (Bungie used to do it when they were still working on Halo), and really does help to get accurate feedback on ideas and products.

However, given that Lauren Faust tweeted this today:

228334__safe_lauren-faust_50f982c8a4c72d

It's clear Hasbro has overstepped their boundries on this one and went against the creator's original envision. Lauren herself is trying to distance herself from the situation, so while they may end up going about it the right way, they still shouldn't have done it in the first place.

Product placement is one thing, undermining an artist's vision is another.

That makes sense and probably is occurring at least to some extent. Though it is impossible to tell how many or if any of the leaks have been intentional. I see Laurens tweet as more of an I dont work on the show and therefore cant answer any questions because I dont know. All she would be able to say is if she would or wouldnt have done certain things if she were still on the show. She is reluctant to answer any questions about season three as she doesnt want her answers to belittle the current work of the production team.

• Brohoof 1

No. This is the exact attitude we need to avoid. The episode before the episode Twilight "ascends" hasn't even aired yet. We need to stop worrying, and just see where this goes. Who knows, it could work out well.

The sites I browse are in chaos. /mlp/ didn't have any generals up except mlpg, and they were all saying goodbye. If you don't regularly go on /mlp/, then this doesn't sound like a big deal. However, it really is. The place is essentially rioting. We could have prevented this.

• Brohoof 1

The sites I browse are in chaos. /mlp/ didn't have any generals up except mlpg, and they were all saying goodbye. If you don't regularly go on /mlp/, then this doesn't sound like a big deal. However, it really is. The place is essentially rioting. We could have prevented this.

We really couldn't of.

In any fandom, you're going to have three groups of people. Fanon Extremists, Canon Extremists, and Moderates. Fanon Extremists will rebuke any canonical facts necessary to maintain what they believe to be "right". Canon Extremists will deny any fanon-implications and accept every official medium as fact. Moderates, enjoy the show in their own way, which can vary between either extreme and everything in between. Every fandom experiences this. Dragonball, Naruto, Star Wars, Star Trek, Doctor Who etc.

That makes sense and probably is occurring at least to some extent. Though it is impossible to tell how many or if any of the leaks have been intentional. I see Laurens tweet as more of an I dont work on the show and therefore cant answer any questions because I dont know. All she would be able to say is if she would or wouldnt have done certain things if she were still on the show. She is reluctant to answer any questions about season three as she doesnt want her answers to belittle the current work of the production team.

Most of her tweets have that context of "I don't know, I don't work there anymore". However, Lauren is aware of the backlash. To say "direct all thanks to MeghanMcCarthy and crew" is pretty much saying, "let them know how much they ruined your show". Now, I don't believe that is the most mature way of going about it, but I can see why she'd be upset considering they promised to be faithful to her vision and then broke that promise after one season without her.

I still believe (and I can't stress this enough), that we need to stay calm, and see how it goes...who knows, it may end up being pretty good..

Edited by Twinhead B
  • Brohoof 1

What it all boils down to is: if Twilight becoming an alicorn is going to ruin the show... Then the show is ruined! There's no sense worrying or arguing about it, it won't do anything! It's kinda like being all worried and afraid at the end of the world. Wouldn't it be better just to live happily for the last few days?

Now, I'm not equivocating Twi's becoming an alicorn with the end of the world; it could, very well, turn out wonderfully! I'm just saying, worrying won't do you any good. :P

• Brohoof 1

Most of her tweets have that context of "I don't know, I don't work there anymore". However, Lauren is aware of the backlash. To say "direct all thanks to MeghanMcCarthy and crew" is pretty much saying, "let them know how much they ruined your show". Now, I don't believe that is the most mature way of going about it, but I can see why she'd be upset considering they promised to be faithful to her vision and then broke that promise after one season without

Actually the majority of tweets she received were simply questions as stated by Lauren herself. She has shown no hostility or anger towards the production staff. In fact she tweeted a reassurance to quote "Please stay calm--- I'm sure you will love whatever the team has planned." Some people like Alicorn Twilight and from the sound of most of the tweets were positive and polite even the people who were anti alicorn who tweeted were polite. In this light I think you have almost certainly misinterpreted Lauren's words. She has made multiple tweets concerning the fan reaction and the staff all were polite and didnt hold ill will. Not to mention that she would know that the production team have to include things Hasbro wanted so she wouldn't hold ill will towards them.

From the sounds of it most of the irrational crazy stuff was contained on sites like/mlp/. Which should surprise no one ever. Though its good to know the majority seems to be acting reasonable. If only they could just forget about the rumor and look at it completely without the negative context. 
  • Brohoof 1

Actually the majority of tweets she received were simply questions as stated by Lauren herself. She has shown no hostility or anger towards the production staff. In fact she tweeted a reassurance to quote "Please stay calm--- I'm sure you will love whatever the team has planned." Some people like Alicorn Twilight and from the sound of most of the tweets were positive and polite even the people who were anti alicorn who tweeted were polite. In this light I think you have almost certainly misinterpreted Lauren's words. She has made multiple tweets concerning the fan reaction and the staff all were polite and didnt hold ill will. Not to mention that she would know that the production team have to include things Hasbro wanted so she wouldn't hold ill will towards them.

From the sounds of it most of the irrational crazy stuff was contained on sites like/mlp/. Which should surprise no one ever. Though its good to know the majority seems to be acting reasonable. If only they could just forget about the rumor and look at it completely without the negative context. 

You may be right..

But, I'm still trying to wrap my brain around the concept. What could they with Alicorn Twilight & friends that they couldn't do without her being an alicorn? It still seems like a pointless change, even if they pull of well..

• Brohoof 2

You may be right..

But, I'm still trying to wrap my brain around the concept. What could they with Alicorn Twilight & friends that they couldn't do without her being an alicorn? It still seems like a pointless change, even if they pull of well..

If it turns out to be a permanent change it was most likely a move by hasbro to sell merchandise. Very much like the killing of optimus prime was in the Transformers movie, which I should point out is very fondly remembered. People are acting as though this is the first time this has happened. The very inclusion of Cheerily was forced by hasbro, as was Celestia being a princess, the balloon and train, The crystal empire, and Butterfly Rarity(fairly certain). 

However if we look at what we know in the episode, it seems as though it is very possible that this wont be permanent. The title of the episode is Magical Mystery Cure. The synopsis is about twilight accidently changing the cutie marks and destinies of the ponies and finding a fix. So in niether the title nor the synopsis is the word princess or coronation mentioned. This makes me think that whilst Alicorn Twilight will play a great role in this it will be far different than most of us thought, and to me it seems far more interesting. I belive I may have already mentioned this but Im just following my line of thinking.

Edited by Anadu Kune
  • Brohoof 1

So Twilight's not an alicorn yet? I haven't been catching up on the show (as I am no longer a big fan of it.. it's more of a hobby I guess) and from the posts I've been reading, I haven't figured out.

• Brohoof 1

I personally actually don't think it's gonna happen, not for long anyway, why? Well,

I think I just figured something out.

this episode where Twilight is supposedly gonna turn into an Alicorn, check out this summary:

"Twilight accidentally casts a spell that switches the Cutie Marks and destinies of all her friends. The only way she can

reverse the spell is by writing her own magic."

This could just be part of the result of her aforementioned spell, so
chances are she'll reject the idea of being an Alicorn (not wanting to
outlive or leave her friends, plus showing no desire in becoming royalty
in previous episodes) and use this newfound power to help her create
her own spell to reverse the process.

• Brohoof 1

So Twilight's not an alicorn yet? I haven't been catching up on the show (as I am no longer a big fan of it.. it's more of a hobby I guess) and from the posts I've been reading, I haven't figured out.

Twilight is not currently an Alicorn, no. But the writers have revealed that she becomes one in the Season finale, which is scheduled to air February 16th 2013.

I really don't want alicorn Twilight... atleast not permanent... Please no permanent... Though the way the writers make it seem they always go the opposite direction.

Twilight is not currently an Alicorn, no. But the writers have revealed that she becomes one in the Season finale, which is scheduled to air February 16th 2013.

Oh of course... I was afraid this might happen. Thanks for answering..

Yes in the synopsis it is said that Twilight has to write a spell to reverse the mistakes on the cutie marks that she made. BUT! Starswirl The Bearded wrote 1000 spells and didn't get turned into an Alicorn!

• Brohoof 1

Twilight becoming an Alicorn only bothers me if its permanent. I do not see how twilight will be able to keep her friends as a princess. Celestia grooming Twilight for something big doesnt bother me at all in fact i would love to see it. I think what will happen is that the only time Twilight will turn something like being a princess down is because of how it will take her away from her friends and she will see them as being more important to her. How Celestia interprets this as success or failure i cant be sure of.

I'm going to restate the obvious. The synopis is she accidentally casts a fate changing spell, so whoever she switches with, whether its the entire world, her and another pony, or her own fate, well she becomes an alicorn. Then the synopsis states she tries to fix it, so yeah, she has to write her own spell to fix the accident, and and she goes back to normal. Its a 22 minute episode, not enough time if for anything but that, unless they rush and botch the whole show, but the have done great timing so far!

• Brohoof 4

It's always been a worry about Twilight becoming an Alicorn.. Really sad to know my fears are comin' true.

Yes in the synopsis it is said that Twilight has to write a spell to reverse the mistakes on the cutie marks that she made. BUT! Starswirl The Bearded wrote 1000 spells and didn't get turned into an Alicorn!

This is one of the main six... The Element of Magic.. It makes sense to me.