Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Twilight Sparkle Alicorn/Princess Speculation [SPOILERS]

ponyvangelist

614 users have voted

1. 1. Would you approve of Twilight becoming an alicorn?

• Yes!
    • Maybe...
    • NO.

My gripe with this is because it unbalances the Mane 6. Twilight was already too powerful as a character (being a "natural magic user", Princess Celestia's personal student, among others) but making her an Alicorn is kinda like saying. "Yeah, Twilight is pretty much better than the rest of the Mane 6. Sorry Rainbow Dash/Rarity/AJ/Fluttershy/Pinkie fans, but Twilight is the ultimate pony." I mean, I won't stop watching the show, but I'm really hoping it won't be permanent. I'm sure the writers will think of something though.

Stronger is not better. If thats so then Celestia is better than Riod Rage.

To me there are pros and cons to Alicorn Twilight. One con is that she is going to outlive her friends. A pro, which is rather important to the show(hey that rhymed), is that it allows for more creativity in terms of episodes.

If shes outliving her friends then wont Cadence be outliving Shining armour?
  • Brohoof 1

I included my thoughts on this in my blog post.

One thought is, that Twi becoming an Alicorn, ends our time with the mane 6, and starting in season 4, we have a brand new starring cast. One thought I had was that maybe season 4 shows the adventures of a grown up CMC, or maybe some completely new characters all together.

But what happens is really solely up to Hasbro and the writers. We can only wait and see.

• Brohoof 2

Why is everyone SO Upset?

Same thing to ask about why everyone doesn't seem to mind.

I'm aware of it, and all I am doing is hoping for the best, I wouldn't call it the worst thing ever, but I wouldn't call it the best either.

• Brohoof 2

If shes outliving her friends then wont Cadence be outliving Shining armour?

Hmm good point. Thing is both Luna and Celestia are 1,000+years old, so that is an....interesting prospect. We will simply have to wait and see, I guess.

• Brohoof 1

First off, change in itself is fine, even change this fundamental, but this was way too abrupt.

Also:

- It throws off the balance of equality in the group. The philosophical balance that comes with friendship, as well as the physical balance of 2/2/2.

- It could shift the show away from misadventures/Slice of Life and shift it towards adventures. Adventures are fine, but in moderation. The misadventures that taught the magic of friendship are what people fell in love with in the first place.

- The focus of the show could shift away from the Mane 6 as a whole and go mainly towards Twi.

- This was not a natural choice on the part of DHX media. Hasbro held a gun to their heads and forced this.

- It has the potential to make the show all about pretty pink princess fantasies. Good for Hasbro, bad for the show, fanbase, and Faust's original vision.

- It could be an indication that Hasbro is attempting to bring the show to a close. Sure, season 4 is confirmed, but it could turn out to be a wrap-up, leaving us without a seasons 5+. This seems sad and confusing because given it's popularity, MLP could last for many more seasons if it wanted to.

In short, it opens up a very volatile can of worms that if mishandled, could seriously hurt the series. A lot of good shows have died because change was mishandled in the past, it could happen again.

I'm optimistic, but I like discussing all sides.

Edited by AtomicBassCannon
  • Brohoof 7

I have a much better feeling about this than I did a few months ago. Let’s keep calm and flutter on.  The creative staff knows and accepts Hasbro’s corporate mission and merchandising needs.  In return, Hasbro has allowed the writers great leeway to spin the introduction of new products in ways that will enhance the established storyline and respect the sensibilities of their unique fanbase.  They handled flutter wing Rarity in a very clever and credible way.  The same can be said about Alicorn Cadance and the Crystal Ponies.  Therefore I’m reserving judgment on Alicorn Twilight until I’ve seen the episode in its entirety.  Meghan and her team has made some fine lemonade from the lemons that they’ve been handed so far.  They have done so much to earn our trust.  So to dismiss an upcoming episode before we’ve even seen is not fair to them.

We also need to bear in mind that this is probably a revision of a series ending episode.  By the time a request for season 4 surfaced, a lot of commitments were already made.  Throwing out this episode altogether was not an option. 

Edited by Wingnut
  • Brohoof 2

I included my thoughts on this in my blog post.

One thought is, that Twi becoming an Alicorn, ends our time with the mane 6, and starting in season 4, we have a brand new starring cast. One thought I had was that maybe season 4 shows the adventures of a grown up CMC, or maybe some completely new characters all together.

But what happens is really solely up to Hasbro and the writers. We can only wait and see.

That really doesn't surprise me since Hasbro did that back in the 80s with Transformers, By killing off Optimus and other Transformers to introduce a new line of toys. I hope they don't do that with MLP. Just getting rid of characters for the sake of getting rid of them should never happen.

I don't think anyone's said this yet.

If Twilie's transformation is permanent (Hopefully not), maybe this is an opportunity to focus more on other ponies or introduce a new character all together. It's been 3 seasons, a new pony's not gonna screw up the show. If anything, that new character could be the best pony ever.

Why is everyone SO Upset?

Same thing to ask about why everyone doesn't seem to mind.

I'm aware of it, and all I am doing is hoping for the best, I wouldn't call it the worst thing ever, but I wouldn't call it the best either.

Well I suppose it's not "The. Worst. POSSIBLE. Thing. But it's still not very favorable because it's so abrupt, if they balance out the Mane 6 again by adding something to their character it may be alright. But as long as it's just an abrupt change that ONLY happens to Twilight from what it seems is why it's so bad.

That really doesn't surprise me since Hasbro did that back in the 80s with Transformers, By killing off Optimus and other Transformers to introduce a new line of toys. I hope they don't do that with MLP. Just getting rid of characters for the sake of getting rid of them should never happen.

Who ever said they had to get rid of the characters they already have? I was suggesting that perhaps they have new characters being the stars of the show, while the originals take on a more minor role. They are seen, but far from as often, about as much as we see Celestia and Luna.

Perhaps with Twi becoming an Alicorn princess, her friends gain roles in Equestria's royal court, not royalty per-say, but still high class and important roles.

I wouldn't want to loose the characters we all know and love either, but maybe, just maybe, its time for a change.

• Brohoof 1

Who ever said they had to get rid of the characters they already have? I was suggesting that perhaps they have new characters being the stars of the show, while the originals take on a more minor role. They are seen, but far from as often, about as much as we see Celestia and Luna.

Perhaps with Twi becoming an Alicorn princess, her friends gain roles in Equestria's royal court, not royalty per-say, but still high class and important roles.

I wouldn't want to loose the characters we all know and love either, but maybe, just maybe, its time for a change.

It's way to early for a change. The show started in 2010 and 2013 just started. At least introduce new characters in season 6 or 7

In honour of Twilight Sparkle, let's make a list of the pros and cons to Alicorn Twilight:

Pros:

- Opens up possibilities for episodes that weren't possible before.

- More pony merch.

- In-depth look at the relationship between Twilight and Celestia & Luna.

- In-depth look at how Twilight's relationship with her friends is going to be affected.

- More world-building episodes/look at pony social structure.

- More epic battles/adventures.

- Possibly more of a focus on the rest of the Mane 6 (Rarity and Flutters desperately need development).

- Possibly more of a focus on the CMC/New characters.

- Many new fan fictions.

- Mane 6 possibly get new powers themselves.

Cons:

- Twilight may be overpowered and become too perfect.

- Show writers may be phasing out Twilight.

- Show writers may be phasing out Mane 6.

- Many fan fictions are "ruined".

- Twilight becomes the star of the show and the mane 6 are rendered "useless"

- Twilight becomes the "ultimate pony" and is used exclusively to solve most problems.

- Elements of Harmony are rendered useless.

- Alicorns are no longer "special"

- Head canon is "ruined"

- Twilight personality is altered.

- Ruins the 2/2/2 thingy the Mane 6 had.

Lists are awesome. That's all I can think of for now, though.

• Brohoof 3

They could handle Alicorn Twilight like this:

Princess Celestia: "Hey, Twilight, you've proven yourself worthy"

Twilight Sparkle: "Ohai, of what?"

*Turned into an Alicorn Princess*

Twilight Sparkle: "Wow, cool! But I can't leave my friends!"

Princess Celestia: "Ah, okay"

*Turned back into a unicron*

Twilight Sparkle: "Kthxbai"

*Insert Alicorn Twilight toy here*

...that sounded better in my head.  :huh:

Edited by PrymeStriker
  • Brohoof 4

I'm just going to sit back, relax, and let the whole thing pass. Not wasting my time getting involved in any drama or absolutely useless speculations. Not worry about the pros and cons, in fact, not even think about them. Just let it happen. After all, we can't do anything about it.The hub isn't going to let us down. Everything is going to work out. And trust me, I'm not even being optimistic. It's just logical; there's no use to worry about it, because we can't do anything about it. Plus, the hub aren't full of idiots. They know what they're doing.

I for one am not affected by this at all. I've said it before, and I'll say it again, the show is going to be fine. I'm on board with you, OP.

• Brohoof 1

I for one am not affected by this at all. I've said it before, and I'll say it again, the show is going to be fine. I'm on board with you, OP.

img-1132571-1-1320813769830_zps588514eb.

*He's pointing at Betez.

Sir, I'm sorry that all I could give you is some recognition from Christian Bale, but cherish it, as your calm and realistic attitude has earned it.

Edited by Modphase

I don't mean to be late and misinformed or anything, but I don't remember seeing this confirmed ever. Its always been speculation. When was this confirmed exactly? Anybody have some links? I'm curious thats all.

Anyways I think the worry in it lies in the fact that it could if not handled correctly ruin the show, I mean it'll mean Twilight will become more perfect and lose her personality flaws which I find makes her interesting and funny, and instead become that perfect teacher like character like Celestia, while that type of character is ok to have, I don't want it to be something one of the characters of the Mane 6 becomes.

It also ruins the whole 2/2/2 thing we have and unbalances that, not as big a deal but still.

It could mean less lesson learning and character development time for the rest of the show, and maybe even a total halt to twilight's lessons. While I like adventure I don't want that to be the main focus of the show, I like the casual episodes where the mane 6 are just living life and something comes up to learn about or develop their character or something.

It also worries me that MLP is planning to be wrapped up, I mean theres suppose to be a season 4, but what about Season 5? Or Season 6? I know no brony here wants the show to end any sooner then it has to, and with Twilight becoming an Alicorn it could be a possibility.

It feels like a forced attempt to just make more toys for hasbro, which in my eyes seems greedy and ruins part of the whole vision and how special this show has become more then just a way to market toys.

HOWEVER I do have to bring up that unless its been explicitly stated theres no indication that Twilight will become an Alicorn, or permanently even.

Remember when we had that speculation with the crystal versions of the mane 6? And how people thought that could ruin the show because we thought it was permanent? Turns out it was for like... maybe a minute of the episode, maybe Alicorn Twilight will be like that, and then really us bronies AND Hasbro can be happy, us bronies keep our wonderful show with our wonderful characters, and Hasbro gets their chance to sell Alicorn Twilight toys.

I am hoping this is going to be like the crystal mane 6 speculations for the beginning of this season, but if it really does become true all I can do is hope the writers don't ruin Twilight. I really like Twilight actually, shes my 2nd favorite character, so even if the whole show might not be ruined, I still don't want the chance of it, or the chance of Twilight being ruined.

Plus I really just don't like how Alicorn Twilight looks, to be honest it looks a bit cramed on. Just random wings on her, I honestly think she loses some of her adorkable factor. But thats just me, I'm fine with seeing bits of fan art and stuff, but I think i'd grow tired of her design and she again doesn't look nearly as adorkable... :(

I guess in the end its up to Studio B and Hasbro, fingers crossed whatever happens turns out right and they make the right decision and don't throw away such an amazing show.

• Brohoof 1

I don't mean to be late and misinformed or anything, but I don't remember seeing this confirmed ever. Its always been speculation. When was this confirmed exactly? Anybody have some links? I'm curious thats all.

See my previous post.

I think most of us prefer unicorn Twilight. I am one of the people who are okay with alicorn Twilight, because I seriously doubt that the writers would ruin it.

• Brohoof 2

all i will say, is that i have faith in the writers. check out "cutest pony pictures" post one of the last posts has somethin that might, possibly help put some of you at ease. i had faith in lauren, and she has faith in the new writers. thats good enough for me

See my previous post.

I think most of us prefer unicorn Twilight. I am one of the people who are okay with alicorn Twilight, because I seriously doubt that the writers would ruin it.

Well that looks like its totally confirmed.. It also looks like it might be permanent aswell.

I'm a bit worried I'll be honest, but all we can really do is hope the writers won't screw things up, they haven't ruined the show to this point, infact they made the show great, so I'm just going to ride on the hope that this won't screw anything up.

Who knows, maybe the writers are trolling us and shes not going to permanently become an Alicorn afterall.

I don't hate Alicorn Twilight, I just much rather Unicorn Twilight, she looks much better in my opinion.

Like I said I'm hoping they either pull it off correctly or it somehow ends up not being permanent. Only time will tell.

These next two weeks of anticipation are going to burn me alive :P.

Save the wait for S4... :/

Edited by Zygen

I like that Twilight is becoming an Alicorn/Princess. I understand why people are freaking out, but honestly, the producers were probably working on this idea back when the first episode came out. Anyway, dont get to stressed over it. You may say you hate it now, but you never know, you may like it in the end. I've experienced this feeling many times and it really helps just to take things slowly and see how it goes, not go on massive rampage and freak out over something that has yet to show.

See my previous post.

I'm in a similar mindset to you. I'm not 100% on the idea, but I do want to see how it plays out. I mean they've said her personality won't change and that her change will present a whole new set of challenges for her. 

I trust the writers. I mean they've rarely let us down as of yet. 

I still would've preferred that they didn't make this change, but now as we can't avoid it we just have to wait until the episode airs before declaring the end of the fandom. And even then I don't think it'll end because of that.

Edited by Ion

It has been slightly hinted at since very early in the series. Though it was only recently confirmed for sure, and even more recently, confirmed to be permanent, we have gotten slight hints that it was going to happen, in various ways.

In the episode the cutie mark chronicles, during Twilight's story of how she got her mark, Celestia said that she had never seen a unicorn with such raw magical power. Considering how long Celestia has lived, that is very impressive.

Regardless, I will remain a fan of the show, no matter what happens.

• Brohoof 1

Thing is this wasn't the intention from the begining. She was just supposed to be this super talented unicorn. It was Hasbro being shallow and greedy that caused this turn of events. It's the thought of this unicorn, a member of a normal pony race, having so much talent and potential and working with what she had that made her so interesting and unique. Turning her into what kind of is a deity among men kinda turns that of.

• Brohoof 1