Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

mega thread Everypony's Religion And Why?

Ezynell

What is your religion?  

65 users have voted

1. 1. What is your religion?

• Catholic
    • Orthodox
    • Protestant
    • Lutheran
    • Anglican
    • Methodist
    • Baptists
    • Unitarian/ Universalist
    • Christian (other, or general)
    • Islam
    • Hindu
    • Buddhist
    • Agnostic
    • Atheist
    • Satanist
    • Reform
    • Judaism (other, or general)
    • Equestreism (or don't care)
    • Electic Pagan (added at request)
    • Wicca (added at request)
    • Jehovah's Witness (added at request)
    • Spiritual (added at request)
    • Other (quote the OP and I'll try to add it ASAP)

It sounds like you are firmly against religion. Why say you aren't a non-believer? Not saying you are or are not but this post doesn't sound particularly agnostic.

(P.S. Science and faith are not a dichotomy. Creationism is bullshit, I say that as a practicing Christian.)

Okay I can she where your coming from and I say I'm a non believer not agnostic because for me 'god' is not real until proven otherwise and I don't paticularly 'believe' in anything other then equality

If I had to choose a religion I would probably be bhuddist

But I am in no way 'atheist' in the sense of disliking religion and agnostic in the sense I am unsure as I am not unsure wether I believe

To summerise I simply have no beliefs

• Brohoof 1

Okay I can she where your coming from and I say I'm a non believer not agnostic because for me 'god' is not real until proven otherwise and I don't paticularly 'believe' in anything other then equality

If I had to choose a religion I would probably be bhuddist

But I am in no way 'atheist' in the sense of disliking religion and agnostic in the sense I am unsure as I am not unsure wether I believe

To summerise I simply have no beliefs

But even Buddhism asks that you have belief. Take it from me, I'm a syncretic Christian-Buddhist. The two are more similar than first glance may tell. Even if the Buddha is not worshipped as a God, Buddhism still posits that there is a greater order to the universe beyond the physical, indeed, the supernatural. It's only the "form" and method of attaining that higher order that differs between the two.

Don't mistake me, I'm not saying you are somehow immoral or lesser for lacking belief. Faith is, after all, deeply personal and it's what one does that matters according to both Christianity and Buddhism, not what one believes. I'm just trying to clear up that Buddhism, at least outside of certain sects, is not a "secular religion" devoid of concepts like Hell, deities, and the afterlife. (Indeed, Buddhism actually has MANY Heavens and Hells and the various Devas of Hinduism carry over into it.)

Edited by Steel Accord

@@Steel Accord,

Sorry about that.  Thankfully, it's not as strong as it was for me years ago, but that's mostly because I was much more awkward and less aware than I am now.  Still though, I know some people find solace in religion and participating at their church/temple/shrine/etc.  For me though, solace comes from doing things in solitude or in the company of a few, things I don't find so easily in churches.  All of that being said though, it didn't keep me from checking out a few of the churches and cathedrals in Montreal.  I quite enjoyed them!

But anyways, it's nice to know that you have awesome mentor figures.  Questioning things is actually the same thing my mentor figure taught me.

Oh by the way!  What kind of Christian are you?

Edited by Akari of Duskshire
  • Brohoof 1

@@Akari of Duskshire,

No need to apologize. It's just how things are. I'm no extrovert, it's not the community aspect of such holy places that I seek out; quite the opposite in fact. I'm a natural introvert, hence my predilection to spirituality. Religion is yet another lens for me to examine, question, and frame things like my thoughts and feelings.

• Brohoof 1

I'm an Electic Pagan, I didn't know there was actually a word for it ,but that's what I am :). I have tried to tell people that but they ignore me and try to force me to convert to Christianity.

Edited by CookieK
  • Brohoof 1

I'm an Electic Pagan I didn't know there was actually a word for it but that's what I am :).    I have tried to tell people that but they ignore me and try to force me to become Christian or one of its various sects.  

Oh thank God, someone posting here that is not on the spectrum of atheist to agnostic! It befuddles me as to why people post their belief on a thread that asks "what is your religious belief?"

Speaking of which, the thread also says "and why?" So why are you a practicing Pagan? What inspired you to put your faith in such?

Edited by Steel Accord

Well I am/was a crystal child and I just always believed in paganism,even back when my mother tried to make me christian. I have magic abilities and a very strong connection to nature so paganism just feels right to me.

Edited by CookieK
  • Brohoof 1

Well I am/was a crystal child and I just always believed in paganism,even back when my  mother tried to make me christian. I have a very close connection to nature and my natural magical abilities just lend themselves to that belief system. I don't believe in paganism as whole just bits and pieces of different sects.  

Ah I see. My former girlfriend was a Wiccan. I apologize because I know that they aren't always seen as the same thing, but there are some similarities with nature worship and magic.

If I might say, this Christian would not force his faith upon you. I celebrate religious diversity.

Oh well my mom is a very,very evil,wicked,and heartless person she wasn't even a christian she just liked using whatever she could to prevent me from developing my magic or myself as a a person.    Too bad most people get tricked by her facade  as a normal person because most people can't comprehend that my mother is as wicked and  evil as she actually is. 

Edited by CookieK
  • Brohoof 1

@@CookieK,

I believe it. Some people simply aren't meant to be parents yet they somehow end up that way and they abuse that position, most of all with their own children. I'm sorry you've had such a person as a mother. Would you say you've grown past her now, in magic and as a person?

Yes, I was a very timid and quiet person when I lived with her and I have changed a lot since she kicked me out. I more intune to my magic too, I'm going to start practicing  it more once me and my dad move.   

Edited by CookieK
  • Brohoof 1

It befuddles me as to why people post their belief on a thread that asks "what is your religious belief?"

Well, it asks for one's belief when it comes to religion and I would say that saying you either don't believe or are unsure are as valid as saying you're Hindu, Animist, or of any other religion or philosophy. An invalid answer would be someone posting here that they like cake and wish to go to the hair salon this afternoon.

Well, it asks for one's belief when it comes to religion and I would say that saying you either don't believe or are unsure are as valid as saying you're Hindu, Animist, or of any other religion or philosophy. An invalid answer would be someone posting here that they like cake and wish to go to the hair salon this afternoon.

The title is "everypony's religion and why." Atheism and agnosticism are both defined by the lack of that very thing, hence my befuddlement.

Atheism and agnosticism are both defined by the lack of that.

Which is why both are relevant answers. It's like being asked what flavor of ice cream you like and one of the options is "I don't like ice cream." Lack of belief or not, it still has much to do with religion.  If there are folks without belief in any religion or are simply unsure or don't care that want to share their opinion, well, a relevant answer is an answer.

Which is why both are relevant answers. It's like being asked what flavor of ice cream you like and one of the options is "I don't like ice cream." Lack of belief or not, it still has much to do with religion.  If there are folks without belief in any religion or are simply unsure or don't care that want to share their opinion, well, a relevant answer is an answer.

At this point we are literally arguing semantics, so I'll simply say that, in your given example, saying "I don't like ice cream" doesn't count as a relevant answer. Not that I expect or really want anything to be done about this, just that despite your efforts, my befuddlement, remains befuddled.

• Brohoof 1

@,

Actually, if you count up all the Christian denomination they exceed Atheists at 349.... thus meaning the majority of the forum is not Atheist, that they are beat by Christians (if by just a little bit).

Edited by EquestrianScholar
  • Brohoof 1

@@Steel Accord,

Sorry I couldn't make things more clear.  I just kinda figured that answers like that would count since it has to do with religion.  Like how black is the absence of color, but black itself is still a color, therefore it still counts.  Oh well.

@,

I agree with what Scholar said, but I did read a little while ago that (at least in America) while Christianity is still up there if not at the top, the amount of people in the secular sect (which includes atheists, agnostics, and similar) is slowly but surely climbing up.  Also, keep in mind that on the internet, people are more willing to share their opinion than they would be in real life.

I agree with what Scholar said, but I did read a little while ago that (at least in America) while Christianity is still up there if not at the top, the amount of people in the secular sect (which includes atheists, agnostics, and similar) is slowly but surely climbing up.  Also, keep in mind that on the internet, people are more willing to share their opinion than they would be in real life.
I read that to. I think that has to do with today's society slowly becoming more tolerant on things that a religion might not necessarily agree with, such as homosexuality. 
  • Brohoof 1

But I am in no way 'atheist' in the sense of disliking religion

Yet we are not so antagonistic as to explicitly dislike religion. In fact, there is no one specific view to which an atheist adheres, because we hold no views. Atheism technically should not be in the poll at all because it is not a religion. The accepted view by most seems to be that atheists share a disbelief or denial of God. In reality it is simply a lack of belief, and yes, there is a distinction—believing that there is no God versus not believing in a God.

This lack of ideology typically lends itself to a parsimonious view. That is, if given competing hypotheses that predict equally well, the one making the least assumptions should be chosen. As atheists assume nothing, the burden of proof therefore lies not on the atheist to disprove the existence of god, but on the theist to provide a rationale for theism. We are not determined to refute another's belief, and those that do are not truly atheists, but anti-theists.

Edited by Wubtavia
  • Brohoof 1

The accepted view by most seems to be that atheists share a disbelief or denial of God. In reality it is simply a lack of belief, and yes, there is a distinction—believing that there is no God versus not believing in a God.

The term atheist means literally "no god", an atheist is a person who specifically maintains that there is no god.

English language already has a perfectly good term for the simple lack of belief: agnostic, which literally means "no knowledge".

This lack of ideology typically lends itself to a parsimonious view. That is, if given competing hypotheses that predict equally well, the one making the least assumptions should be chosen. As atheists assume nothing, the burden of proof therefore lies not on the atheist to disprove the existence of god, but on the theist to provide a rationale for theism. We are not determined to refute another's belief, and those that do are not truly atheists, but anti-theists.

Atheism just explains nothing, while theism tries to explain how things came to be. Therefore, they aren't explanations that explain equally well. Just assuming nothing already implies that it explains nothing, as it is impossible to make any reasoning without assumptions. Any reasoning has to start somewhere, which is on axioms, which is nothing but another term for "assumptions", and are considered to be self-evident necessary truth.

It is wrong to claim that the burden of the proof lies on who makes assumptions, because this it will not possible to propose any axiom, then any reasoning will just be impossible. The burden of the proof lies on the person who tries to convince someone else of something. If an atheist is trying to convince people that God does not exist, then he has the burden of the proof.

• Brohoof 1

I will say this poll does give interesting insight on the common moral views of the fandom or at least this forum. It seems that the majority of the forum are atheist. I do wonder if there is any reason for that.

I think it has to do with how this forum is on the internet. Typically, people on the internet are younger, and people who are younger have grown up with scientific explanations as opposed to religious explanations as to why the universe exists, as well as more generations separating them from when religion was the only explanation, meaning theism seems less likely to be true.

This is just a trend I've noticed through anecdotal evidence though and is not a hard law in any way, I have neither done nor read any survey's on the subject, it's just something that makes sense to me. There are many, many outliers to this too; many relatively old people use this forum, and many young people are theists too. It's just not sheer random chance that the amount of atheists and agnostics is disproportionate to the western english speaking world.

• Brohoof 1

I read that to. I think that has to do with today's society slowly becoming more tolerant on things that a religion might not necessarily agree with, such as homosexuality. 

Speak for yourself, I'm raised Catholic and pro-LGBT. In fact, on this very forum, there is a Christian Bronies thread and none of us are anti-homosexual and have welcomed trans-people.

@,

And new technology would allow people to become exposed to other things, including other religions or lack thereof.  Not to mention that Islam is currently the fastest-growing religion in the world, if memory serves. 

Thank God for that, at least one faith is having a recruitment drive. Although I pray it's for the right reasons of seeking a union with the Divine and not motivated by secular politics.

I think it has to do with how this forum is on the internet. Typically, people on the internet are younger, and people who are younger have grown up with scientific explanations as opposed to religious explanations as to why the universe exists, as well as more generations separating them from when religion was the only explanation, meaning theism seems less likely to be true.

This is just a trend I've noticed through anecdotal evidence though and is not a hard law in any way, I have neither done nor read any survey's on the subject, it's just something that makes sense to me. There are many, many outliers to this too; many relatively old people use this forum, and many young people are theists too. It's just not sheer random chance that the amount of atheists and agnostics is disproportionate to the western english speaking world.

Just to piggy back off of your point, further confusing the matter are those like @@Sunwalker, and myself who don't see those scientific explanations as contradicting our religious beliefs. For instance, my friend there is a chemical engineer and is one of the most devout men I have the honor of calling a friend, certainly one of the most articulate and intelligent.

To quote a famous astronomer: 

"Religion tells us how to get to heaven, not how the heavens go."

~Galileo Galilei

Edited by Steel Accord
  • Brohoof 1