Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

mega thread Everypony's Religion And Why?

Ezynell

What is your religion?  

65 users have voted

1. 1. What is your religion?

• Catholic
    • Orthodox
    • Protestant
    • Lutheran
    • Anglican
    • Methodist
    • Baptists
    • Unitarian/ Universalist
    • Christian (other, or general)
    • Islam
    • Hindu
    • Buddhist
    • Agnostic
    • Atheist
    • Satanist
    • Reform
    • Judaism (other, or general)
    • Equestreism (or don't care)
    • Electic Pagan (added at request)
    • Wicca (added at request)
    • Jehovah's Witness (added at request)
    • Spiritual (added at request)
    • Other (quote the OP and I'll try to add it ASAP)

Personally I do not believe in any god or deity, however I refuse to call myself Atheist as well. Im in a strange position due to the fact that I believe in some aspects that would normally be connected with religion, mostly spirituality and concepts related to it. Im a proponent of mankind being the driving force for self evolution, I don't feel that we should rely on a being that doesn't directly assist us, that we should take our future into our hands and do what we can to advance our race.

That's all rather weird considering I love to study religion, though I view it the same as studying mythology. No different to studying ancient Roman gods and goddesses. 

• Brohoof 3

Personally I do not believe in any god or deity, however I refuse to call myself Atheist as well. Im in a strange position due to the fact that I believe in some aspects that would normally be connected with religion, mostly spirituality and concepts related to it. Im a proponent of mankind being the driving force for self evolution, I don't feel that we should rely on a being that doesn't directly assist us, that we should take our future into our hands and do what we can to advance our race.

That's all rather weird considering I love to study religion, though I view it the same as studying mythology. No different to studying ancient Roman gods and goddesses. 

That's called Deism, that's not incompatible with many religions either, there are those who believe that there IS a God but we are the orchestrators of our fate, it's called spiritual humanism. Hell, my interpretation of Christianity is very humanist because it stresses that God have us free will. He's not going to reach down and pick you up from the dirt, you have to put in your own effort to better yourself.

Edited by Steel Accord

I struggled long and hard for many years with this question, after being raised in a strict super-fundamentalist Christian household - so strict that I was homeschooled with religion-based curriculum so I wouldn't be corrupted by the evil influence of public schools. Or something of that sort.

I just kind of accepted that for many years because I had no other outlet, no friends outside of church due to the homeschooling, and no Internet to learn the other side of the story, so to speak. I had many books, and took up reading and art, but had nothing that would conflict too much with religious teaching. We were even missing the 'E' encyclopedia so I couldn't even look up evolution had I wanted to at the time. My parents weren't as strict as some others I've seen, but to say my brother and I grew up sheltered would be a vast understatement. We definitely were happy and cared for, but religion was hammered pretty hard into our impressionable noggins from an extremely early age. I was even in a Christmas play at the age of one month old.

Church was something that was done at least three times a week, and unless you were so sick you couldn't get out of bed, you didn't question that. You just went. Again, I shrugged and went along with it, my attention bouncing between the lessons and drawing materials I always smuggled in. I found myself doing more of the latter as the years went on.

To make an already long story a bit shorter, I finally began to question things and realize that maybe I could decide to not follow exactly in the footsteps of my family sometime around 2005 or 2006. In 2007, we finally got home Internet access, and the whole world opened up for me. I was dumbfounded by just how big and diverse the world was, and finally, slowly but surely, caught up on all that I had missed out on in my sheltered corner of the world. Naturally, I spent a lot of time on the Internet.

It was probably two years later that I really began considering other options, and beginning to doubt the strict beliefs I was raised in. By 2010 and 2011, I considered myself teetering on the verge of agnosticism, but the lingering shadows of childhood kept whispering in the back of my head, preventing me from peering over the edge. In the time since then, I've become a lot more aware of issues I once stood on the other side of, being raised to be anti-homosexual, anti-abortion, pro-Christianity in government, anti-other religions, etc. I rapidly realized the things I stood against, I only stood against because I had a religious belief that compelled me to be so, not a personal conviction or any logical reason. So I quickly stopped being closed minded and began accepting others and the world as it was, ashamed to have been held down by religious teachings trying to make me judge others for no other reason than 'it says so in the Bible'.

Today, I'm still not entirely certain. Agnostic leaning towards atheist, really hoping for some clarity to make that step towards complete atheism. But I'm not sure if I can, despite being viciously against many of the tenets of Christianity when it comes to laws in the modern society. I'm not sure how I can still cling to a bit of it when I'm totally against most of what it stands for (when it comes to personal freedoms and church vs. state, at least) but this extremely religious part of the country with literally zero relatives that I know of who aren't also extremely religious is a pretty tough place to foster unbelief. No one in real life knows about my decision to abandon Christianity for the most part, and I fear I would probably be largely excommunicated and shunned if they find out. Luckily, I have a few friends I can talk to about this should I feel the need to, and my girlfriend is also highly agnostic, so I'm not totally alone, but things are still tough. I think about it a lot and wrestle with the potential consequences, but I can never go back to being a judgmental fundamentalist. If there is a heaven and hell, all I'm going to say is that I think I'd not enjoy being stuck amidst sneering closed-minded fundies for all eternity.

In summary, for the most part, I highly dislike religion in general, and while I strongly believe everyone has the right to their own belief, I am strongly against said beliefs influencing politics or the rights of others in any way, and I am immensely angered when someone tries to preach to me or attempt to 'bring me back into the flock'. To each their own, but not unto others.

Edited by Equus

@@Equus,

You know, not everyone who practices Christianity is a fundamentalist, speaking as a syncretic Christian-Buddhist. You can question, not be a homophobe, and still be a Christian.

I invite you to take a look at this thread and tell the same story you did hear. You might be surprised that "preaching" is the last thing you will hear.

https://mlpforums.com/topic/44444-christian-bronies-meet-greet-and-mingle/page-1

• Brohoof 1

I was raised in a Presbyterian family(both my parents are pastors), but ever since a little over a year ago, I now consider myself either a Deist or Agnostic (I might be an Atheist in the future, I may become religious). So I certainly don't consider myself religious, but I still cannot decide whether or not I believe in the existance of a God, which is why I consider myself Agnostic for the most part. Deist is because I catch myself praying once in a while.

• Brohoof 1

@@Trixie Heartstrings,

There's nothing wrong with being religious and still being open minded. Maybe there is a God, maybe there isn't. I chose to have faith that such an Intelligence exists. It comes down to what you truly believe in, which, as you describe you aren't sure about.

Just telling you that you should not feel pressured into religion because then it's not faith.

Quite the rainbow of flavors we have here, i've left and come back to Christianity twice, like with everything, i flip flop. I've always had doubts and have chosen to get religion off my mind for a while, can't say i'm a believer either.

I'm agnostic.  Evolution has tons of evidence behind it and it makes perfect sense to me, but absence of proof doesn't necessarily mean that creation, an afterlife, reincarnation, or any of that stuff doesn't have at least a grain of truth.  I also think that there's something good to take home from any and all religions and philosophies, no matter what you believe.  It's part of the reason why I find myself researching religion and philosophy from time to time.

Edited by Akari of Duskshire
  • Brohoof 1

My family thinks I am catholic but really I don't believe in anything god-related. I HIGHLY dislike going to church or church related activities. Idk why, it just gives me the willies when I go to church or anything church related so yea.

psst: Whats it called when you don't believe in anything?

edit: Plus, I really have better things to do then focusing on religion. I have school, homework, chores, work, photoshop stuff, a pmv to make and MLP :), PLUS there is this project coming up and I really dont wanna fail it

Edited by RlikesRainbowdash

@,

I believe it's called atheism.  Unless you're just not sure or you just don't think about it much or you believe in both, then it's called agnosticism. 

So I am secretly an atheist pretending to be a Catholic? Yea I think so because my parents think I am catholic when really i'm not. I simply don't believe in anything.

Edit: I will just do this Equestreism

I'm guessing because it has Equestr- it means Equestria So yea i will do that instead :)

Edited by RlikesRainbowdash
  • Brohoof 1

@@Akari of Duskshire,

Evolution, I don't think, really plays a part in it. Yeah, the theory of evolution is the most likely to be true. Why does that invalidate the idea that God exists? Just seems kind of cursory is all. 

psst: Whats it called when you don't believe in anything?

That's called nihilism. That's a step beyond atheism in that not only is there no God, there is no true meaning to anything and no ultimate consequence. 

Edited by Steel Accord
  • Brohoof 1

Idk why, it just gives me the willies when I go to church or anything church related so yea.

Why? Churches are supposed to be places of worship, peace, and holiness. I'm not talking about mass, I'm just talking about the Church itself. Let me ask you this, would you feel the same way about a Mosque, Jewish temple, or Hindu home shrine? 

@@Steel Accord,

I'm not sure myself.  Perhaps the truth lies somewhere in-between.  Maybe both are true, maybe neither are true.  I'm just not sure. 

Well for one thing, science and faith, are not a dichotomy. There have been and still are, many scientists that are devout Christians, Hindus, Jews, Muslims, etc. Hell Tenzin Gyatso, the Dalai Lama, is a world renowned neuroscientist!

So there is no "in between" because there's nothing to be in between about. Religion is simply about what you put your faith in. I am a man of God because I put my faith in the idea that there is a greater purpose to all of our lives and that my fellow man is good at heart.

• Brohoof 2

Why? Churches are supposed to be places of worship, peace, and holiness. I'm not talking about mass, I'm just talking about the Church itself. Let me ask you this, would you feel the same way about a Mosque, Jewish temple, or Hindu home shrine? 

I don't like going to anything that's religion related, idk why I just feel something wierd and like scary like if something is about to happen to me..

I don't like going to anything that's religion related, idk why I just feel something wierd and like scary like if something is about to happen to me..

Really? Well then you believe in some kind of retributive force at least subconsciously. If you truly believed in nothing, than such holy places would hold no menace to you.

Edited by Steel Accord

That's what I agree with when it comes to Christianity.  You know, be nice, be respectful, love everyone.  It's something everyone can use!

It's also a Buddhist thought, hence why I practice both. Part of the Noble Eightfold Path is Right Conduct, Right Speech, Right Action, and Right Livelihood.

@,

I feel like that sometimes.  In my case, it's because I'm afraid of being judged.  I know not everyone is judgmental toward those who don't share their beliefs, but I sometimes find it hard to shake off the feeling.

@@Steel Accord,

If you don't want to answer this, that's fine, I won't press you.  But is there any part of the Christian or Buddhist teachings that you have doubts about or don't agree with? 

Edited by Akari of Duskshire
  • Brohoof 2

I feel like that sometimes.  In my case, it's because I'm afraid of being judged.  I know not everyone is judgmental toward those who don't their beliefs, but I sometimes find it hard to shake off the feeling.

It really disheartens me that you feel that way about places that bring others like me such peace. I always thought they were welcoming and warm whether one believes or not. Catholic Churches and Buddhist temples were/are considered sanctuaries where people can be sheltered for a reason.

(Yes, the concept of housing those wrongfully persecuted by secular law like in the Hunchback of Notre Dame is based off of historical practice.)

If you don't want to answer this, that's fine, I won't press you.  But is there any part of the Christian or Buddhist teachings that you have doubts about or don't agree with?

Why would I not want to answer that? I was taught to question my faith. My parents and teachers told me that blind faith was false faith. So any doubts I've had have all been dealt with. Disagreements more come in the form of how the teachings are taught and interpreted not the teachings themselves.

-That homophobia could be justified while still being Christian is BULLSHIT! The entire central message of Christianity is universal love, even and especially when it makes you uncomfortable to extend love to that person. That homosexuality could be considered a sin is a fallacy. One must choose to commit sin, one is born gay, straight, or what have you. No choice, no sin.

-That Buddhism is seen as separate from religion by many Westerners and/or not guilty of the same corruption that is visited upon any organized religion. (Can you say, torture, genocide, and yes, pedophiliac abuse of young boys?) Doesn't mean I think the faith is bad just that it's like any other faith practiced by humans. It's practiced by humans and humans aren't perfect.

Really? Well then you believe in some kind of retributive force at least subconsciously. If you truly believed in nothing, than such holy places would hold no menace to you.

• Brohoof 1

I guess I could say other but I won't as I like to class myself as a non-believer and there isn't a selection for that in the poll

I believe something when I see hard evidence and I have seen none so far (the holy book doesn't count in my opinion) I'm a firm supporter of science and the research it brings

That being said I can't stand when religion is being shoved down my throat and I hate that parent false it upon their children they should have the right to chose everybody has a right to believe in what they want to believe without being condemned or discriminated against

• Brohoof 1

I guess I could say other but I won't as I like to class myself as a non-believer and there isn't a selection for that in the poll

I believe something when I see hard evidence and I have seen none so far (the holy book doesn't count in my opinion) I'm a firm supporter of science and the research it brings

That being said I can't stand when religion is being shoved down my throat and I hate that parent false it upon their children they should have the right to chose everybody has a right to believe in what they want to believe without being condemned or discriminated against

It sounds like you are firmly against religion. Why say you aren't a non-believer? Not saying you are or are not but this post doesn't sound particularly agnostic.

(P.S. Science and faith are not a dichotomy. Creationism is bullshit, I say that as a practicing Christian.)