Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

mega thread Everypony's Religion And Why?

Ezynell

What is your religion?  

65 users have voted

1. 1. What is your religion?

• Catholic
    • Orthodox
    • Protestant
    • Lutheran
    • Anglican
    • Methodist
    • Baptists
    • Unitarian/ Universalist
    • Christian (other, or general)
    • Islam
    • Hindu
    • Buddhist
    • Agnostic
    • Atheist
    • Satanist
    • Reform
    • Judaism (other, or general)
    • Equestreism (or don't care)
    • Electic Pagan (added at request)
    • Wicca (added at request)
    • Jehovah's Witness (added at request)
    • Spiritual (added at request)
    • Other (quote the OP and I'll try to add it ASAP)

There are other religions you could learn about. See if they make more sense than Christianity does for you. (Also, just speaking as a Catholic, one doesn't go to Hell because they don't believe in God. It's not what you think, it's what you DO that matters.)

and i try to remain neutral to everything,nut somethings are harder to stay neutral at than others

(the minimun character limit sucks here)

• Brohoof 1

(edited)
If God is all powerful, then he should be able to create a boulder heavy enough that he cannot lift. If he can lift it, then he couldn't create a boulder heavy enough. If he can't lift it, then he isn't strong enough. In either case, he is not all-powerful. An all-powerful being is a physical impossibility.

Fair enough, but what if God is simply so powerful that, in comparison to us, He might as well be all powerful?

Omniscience is impossible, just as well. If God has no physical body, then he doesn't know how to breathe, how to walk, or how to swallow--in much the same way we don't know how sharks sense electrical currents in the water. Additionally, if God is a perfect being, then he does not know imperfection. He doesn't know what it feels like to make a mistake. Therefore, God is not omniscient, and could not ever possibly be omniscient.

Well that's why Christians believe that God incarnated as Jesus, or Hindus believe Vishnu and others continuously reincarnate as many things. So that the Divine CAN understand us on our level. Of course that's not even taking into account that if It could experience all our lives from beginning to end. (Which I think the Divine can.)

My Mom used to say, "God figured out that the Old Testament tough love wasn't working, so He had to understand us as people. So He sent us Jesus as a gentle guide rather than an angry one."

Edited by Steel Accord

I am kinda unsure, however, I think it would be Christianity (or at least the Icelandic messed up version). It is just that I don't want to believe that when I die, I become nothingness. It is a very depressing thought, so I like to believe there is a higher power out there and that when you die, you don't dissolve into nothingness, that the soul lives on. 

• Brohoof 1

I am kinda unsure, however, I think it would be Christianity (or at least the Icelandic messed up version). It is just that I don't want to believe that when I die, I become nothingness. It is a very depressing thought, so I like to believe there is a higher power out there and that when you die, you don't dissolve into nothingness, that the soul lives on. 

I guess the question would be, do you actually believe that or simply want to believe that? 

Don't confuse my intent as being evangelical or judgmental, just some food for thought.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Fair enough, but what if God is simply so powerful that, in comparison to us, He might as well be all powerful?

That's more acceptable. Let's suppose God doesn't have infinite power, but still significant power.

It still doesn't answer another question: where does God get his power? Just saying "because he's God" doesn't work, unless you buy into the idea that an unlimited energy source can feasibly exist.

Well that's why Christians believe that God incarnated as Jesus, or Hindus believe Vishnu and others continuously reincarnate as many things.

My Mom used to say, "God figured out that the Old Testament tough love wasn't working, so He had to understand us as people. So He sent us Jesus as a gentle guide rather than an angry one."

And since he didn't get it right the first time, he wasn't perfect.

That's really the entirety of my argument here. No one or nothing can be perfect, all-powerful, all-knowing, or last forever. Everything in the physical world is finite and limited. I know some people would argue here that God isn't physical, but he would have to be if he is to interact with the physical world as some people also believe he does.

Edited by Admiral Regulus

That's more acceptable. Let's suppose God doesn't have infinite power, but still significant power.   It still doesn't answer another question: where does God get his power? Just saying "because he's God" doesn't work, unless you buy into the idea that an unlimited energy source can feasibly exist.

I certainly think it can. Maybe God is a post-post-post-post-POST-Singularity mind, our entire universe and it's laws of physics are simply what He programmed it to work by, and He's getting His power from whatever His reality works by.

Maybe that's it, maybe it's not. Part of the magic of having faith is that all possibilities are open, by they physically impossible OR perfectly acceptable within the laws of physics. (At least as far as we understand them and of course that's ever changing.)

And since he didn't get it right the first time, he wasn't perfect.

Again, not truly perfect, but so far beyond us in intelligence, wisdom, and foresight that it is an apt description. Besides what would define a perfect world for you? One where there is no sin? No freedom or choice?

That's really the entirety of my argument here. No one or nothing can be perfect, all-powerful, all-knowing, or last forever. Everything in the physical world is finite and limited.

Well most who believe in God would say He's beyond the physical world, not subject to the laws of physics. Maybe He is, maybe He isn't, but think of it this way; if Dark Matter and Dark Energy make up so much of our universe, but are both still completely inaccessible, who's to say the Divine doesn't exist in that? Or that there's something beyond our physical universe that we just haven't been able to detect yet?

• Brohoof 1

I certainly think it can. Maybe God is a post-post-post-post-POST-Singularity mind, our entire universe and it's laws of physics are simply what He programmed it to work by, and He's getting His power from whatever His reality works by.

Maybe that's it, maybe it's not. Part of the magic of having faith is that all possibilities are open, by they physically impossible OR perfectly acceptable within the laws of physics. (At least as far as we understand them and of course that's ever changing.)

Again, not truly perfect, but so far beyond us in intelligence, wisdom, and foresight that it is an apt description. Besides what would define a perfect world for you? One where there is no sin? No freedom or choice?

Well most who believe in God would say He's beyond the physical world, not subject to the laws of physics. Maybe He is, maybe He isn't, but think of it this way; if Dark Matter and Dark Energy make up so much of our universe, but are both still completely inaccessible, who's to say the Divine doesn't exist in that? Or that there's something beyond our physical universe that we just haven't been able to detect yet?

I'll agree with you on all that. I do think there's more beyond what we can detect, and more beyond even the universe. I don't think it's explicitly God, per se, but I do think that whatever is out there is so incredibly foreign to us, that we can't comprehend it any better than perhaps a dog could comprehend classical mechanics.

Is it possible? Barring all notions of God as an infinite being, yes. I'm very skeptical of it, though.

• Brohoof 2

I'll agree with you on all that. I do think there's more beyond what we can detect, and more beyond even the universe. I don't think it's explicitly God, per se, but I do think that whatever is out there is so incredibly foreign to us, that we can't comprehend it any better than perhaps a dog could comprehend classical mechanics.

Is it possible? Barring all notions of God as an infinite being, yes. I'm very skeptical of it, though.

As is your right to be. I'm not trying to convince you of anything, simply offering my perspective. Religion today needs post-modern thinkers. People who don't put "the limits of the infinite" on the Divine.

• Brohoof 1

Whoa, that's a lot of atheists! I knew there were a good bunch on here but not that many. Nonetheless, I'm a Muslim. Assalamualaikum, my brothers and sisters! ^o^

I know right? I've got nothing against them but I do wish the number of believers to non-believers was a bit more even. I appreciate the warm blessing, may I ask what a rough english translation of that would be?

I know right? I've got nothing against them but I do wish the number of believers to non-believers was a bit more even. I appreciate the warm blessing, may I ask what a rough english translation of that would be?

It's a common Muslim greeting we say to each other. It means "peace be upon you". And yeah, they are. I'm leaning towards the idea that this is a thread on the interwebs, and there's quite a lot here.

• Brohoof 1

It's a common Muslim greeting we say to each other. It means "peace be upon you". And yeah, they are. I'm leaning towards the idea that this is a thread on the interwebs, and there's quite a lot here.

Ah, an interesting commonality. During Mass, there's a part where the Priest says "let us offer each other, a sign of peace." Then we all turn to one another, shake hands, and say "peace be with you."

Ah, an interesting commonality. During Mass, there's a part where the Priest says "let us offer each other, a sign of peace." Then we all turn to one another, shake hands, and say "peace be with you."

Interesting! That's really cool. We always say it when see another Muslim someplace (street, store, mosque, etc.). Just an act of kindness and overall spreading the common greeting. 

• Brohoof 3

(edited)

Simple. Just post in your religion. If its not included, quote this post and tell me what it is. I'll add it.

Discussion Time Everypony!

Hmm... can you add in LDS/Mormonism?

These are the less of a mouthful names for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, with the former term preferred by members over the latter term.

Edited by EquestrianScholar
  • Brohoof 1

Whoa, that's a lot of atheists! I knew there were a good bunch on here but not that many. Nonetheless, I'm a Muslim. Assalamualaikum, my brothers and sisters! ^o^

That's what I said too! Actually, I've seen a lot of memes depicting atheists as bronies, and vice versa... Haha! You have to admit, it's pretty accurate. Hope you had a blessed month of Ramadan and a joyous Eid al-Fitr!

• Brohoof 2

Simple. Just post in your religion. If its not included, quote this post and tell me what it is. I'll add it.

I am a Catholic myself, but I think Muslims would appreciate if you provided options for Sunni and Shi'ite denominations.

This sentence is here just for the character requirement.

• Brohoof 2

I'm kind of agnostic. I mean, I could see a god existing, but I don't feel major enough to it where I make a huge deal about it and go to church every Sunday and stuff, if that makes sense.

• Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I'm a Missionary and Christian Alliance Christian (I think that's how its written). All that I really know is that it's all about spreading the word of God.

• Brohoof 2

I'm a Missionary and Christian Alliance Christian (I think that's how its written). All that I really know is that it's all about spreading the word of God.

A missionary? How interesting. Perhaps you would like to join us in another thread?

https://mlpforums.com/topic/44444-christian-bronies-meet-greet-and-mingle/

It's a nice little corner of the forums for just talking about our faith.

• Brohoof 1

I'm a Nihilist, so you can add that to the poll if you want. Or don't change it at all. You just do whatever. It's not like it really matters anyway.

:P

• Brohoof 1

• 3 weeks later...

It's been a long time since I looked at this thread. Quite a bit more votes on the poll now from what I remember.

Still no category that I feel works better than just "spiritual" I could claim a tag, but I don't feel as though my ideas really fit with any of them well enough.

I'm agnostic myself. I can't bring myself to believe in any higher beings, because if they are truly 'above' us then they(as in their communication through the bible, Koran, etc) could be lying to us about literally everything and it'd be literally impossible to know. Or they could not exist at all, and it'd still be impossible to know, because by definition a god would be impossible to prove.

I'm a Nihilist, so you can add that to the poll if you want. Or don't change it at all. You just do whatever. It's not like it really matters anyway.

:P

Nihilism isn't a religion, it's a philosophy. Religion has to do with worship or lack thereof, nihilism has to do with the purpose of life. You could be an agnostic, atheist, or possibly some religion I don't know of that allows a nihilistic world view. 

I'm only catholic because I was forced to be  since birth. My family comes from a very religious pueblo and they're still opposed to gay marriage, tattoos, piercings and dying your hair a different color. I'm not a fan of going to church.

I'm only catholic because I was forced to be  since birth. My family comes from a very religious pueblo and they're still opposed to gay marriage, tattoos, piercings and dying your hair a different color. I'm not a fan of going to church.

I'm Catholic as well and my parents aren't opposed to any of those things. Indeed my whole family are big supporters of gay marriage. As for the rest of that stuff, really? Forget religion, those sensibilities are medieval on to themselves.

You also should never be forced into religion because then it's not real faith. Your parents should be ashamed that they've done such a number on you, not letting you decide for yourself.

Nihilism isn't a religion, it's a philosophy. Religion has to do with worship or lack thereof, nihilism has to do with the purpose of life. You could be an agnostic, atheist, or possibly some religion I don't know of that allows a nihilistic world view. 

Well there are certain sects of Buddhism that are pretty damn nihilistic. Tantric Buddhism in particular deposits that the entire physical world is a "charnel ground" chaotic, cruel, random, harsh. That hope is a self-imposed illusion. Ironically though, Tantric Buddhism is also heavily stepped in the religion's more supernatural aspects like the Devas and demons. Just that they are yet another aspect of the charnel ground in life that can do you harm at of nowhere.

Edited by Steel Accord