Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

mega thread Everypony's Religion And Why?

Ezynell

What is your religion?  

65 users have voted

1. 1. What is your religion?

• Catholic
    • Orthodox
    • Protestant
    • Lutheran
    • Anglican
    • Methodist
    • Baptists
    • Unitarian/ Universalist
    • Christian (other, or general)
    • Islam
    • Hindu
    • Buddhist
    • Agnostic
    • Atheist
    • Satanist
    • Reform
    • Judaism (other, or general)
    • Equestreism (or don't care)
    • Electic Pagan (added at request)
    • Wicca (added at request)
    • Jehovah's Witness (added at request)
    • Spiritual (added at request)
    • Other (quote the OP and I'll try to add it ASAP)

Also, Voodoo is an actual legitimate religeon that seems to have a bad reputation for being of the occult. There was a nice exhibit for it at the Royal Ontario Museum a while back.

Wait what? Since when the Sixties?! The last time I saw it seriously related to the occult was in a James Bond movie, and even then it was less the religion itself but the trappings were just cover for an international drug ring.

Not saying it doesn't happen just that those who think such are pulling that view from sensationalized media of the past. 

• Brohoof 1

Wait what? Since when the Sixties?! The last time I saw it seriously related to the occult was in a James Bond movie, and even then it was less the religion itself but the trappings were just cover for an international drug ring.

Not saying it doesn't happen just that those who think such are pulling that view from sensationalized media of the past. 

I'm just saying, what do you think is the first thing that the common man thinks of when "Voodoo" is mentioned? It has been portrayed as a religeon of "savages" for the last two centuries, and hasn't had much positive reprisentation. That leads most to dismiss it as illegitimate and "creepy".

I'm just saying, what do you think is the first thing that the common man thinks of when "Voodoo" is mentioned? It has been portrayed as a religeon of "savages" for the last two centuries, and hasn't had much positive reprisentation. That leads most to dismiss it as illegitimate and "creepy".

Honestly the first thing that comes to my mind when I think of Voodoo is top hats, the trolls of World of Warcraft (who are good guys mind you,) and the stylish and classy Dr. Facilier. Of course that's just what immediately springs to mind like pink elephants, I of course know it's more than that though admittedly my knowledge only extends to the covenant of "tis for tat."

• Brohoof 2

I'm a witch only in jest so technically I'm an atheist. I try to be respectful despite all the insults I get for being gay. I have heaps more respect for the old ways, though. All that pre-Christian "pagan" stuff that formed part of my ancestors' culture before the Romans came.

Also, warm greetings to all Muslims in the brony community! I hope you are all safe and well. I have friends in Syria, Palestine, Iraq, and Afghanistan whom I worry about every day.

PS: Shout out to the Wiccans!  :P 

• Brohoof 2

I'm a witch only in jest so technically I'm an atheist. I try to be respectful despite all the insults I get for being gay. I have heaps more respect for the old ways, though. All that pre-Christian "pagan" stuff that formed part of my ancestors' culture before the Romans came.

Also, warm greetings to all Muslims in the brony community! I hope you are all safe and well. I have friends in Syria, Palestine, Iraq, and Afghanistan whom I worry about every day.

PS: Shout out to the Wiccans!  :P 

So wait, are you a Wiccan or an atheist? Your post seems to imply a respect for the ancient pre-Roman faiths but your claim is of atheism.

Also, I echo the warm greetings to all Muslim bronies whether you live in the Middle East or not. (I know those in Europe aren't doing well right about now.)

• Brohoof 1

So wait, are you a Wiccan or an atheist? Your post seems to imply a respect for the ancient pre-Roman faiths but your claim is of atheism.

Also, I echo the warm greetings to all Muslim bronies whether you live in the Middle East or not. (I know those in Europe aren't doing well right about now.)

Atheist, but I make a lot of jokes about witchcraft and other occult stuff. Bit like a goth I suppose, though I don't identify as such. I also know several Wiccans and while spirituality isn't for me, I love and respect them all the same. Wicca also falls into that category of "pre-Roman" stuff as despite being a relatively new religion, it draws inspiration from the old ways.

• Brohoof 1

Atheist, but I make a lot of jokes about witchcraft and other occult stuff. Bit like a goth I suppose, though I don't identify as such. I also know several Wiccans and while spirituality isn't for me, I love and respect them all the same. Wicca also falls into that category of "pre-Roman" stuff as despite being a relatively new religion, it draws inspiration from the old ways.

Yeah I'm schooled in it's history. The modern Wicca culture didn't come from nowhere after all, and my first (and thus far only) girlfriend was a Wiccan. Our mutual but differing forms of spirituality are one of the things that brought us together.

• Brohoof 1

Been considering changing my vote to Buddhist. I've never considered myself religious, in fact I somewhat dislike any religion that worships a god. Instead I've always found myself to be more spiritually aligned. Because of this, Buddhism is the only 'religion' that I can really identify with and as I begin the second decade of my life I've been considering seeing a Buddhist about learning their beliefs and such.

I'll update my vote if I do end up changing my belief system.

Agnostic, Atheist, LaVeyan Satanist. I'd recommend you google LaVeyan Satanism if you don't know what it is.

I'm an atheist because I've seen no evidence for a god any god. Agnostic because i cannot be sure there is no god. LaVeyan Satanist because it is basically what i was before that and i agree with The nine satanic statements, The eleven rules of the earth and the nine satanic sins are all things i'm against but see the mainstream religions rewarding.

The 9 sins are...

Stupidity
Pretentiousness
Solipsism
Self-deceit
Herd Conformity (we may refer to the fandom at times as the herd but we're all unique)
Lack of Perspective
Forgetfulness of Past Orthodoxies
Counterproductive Pride
Lack of Aesthetics

I don't see my Satanism as a religion more like a outlook on life.

That's when you do not know if there's a god or not, right?
Because Atheism is when you do not believe in any god, I think they are similar.

They are similar the way i understand it an Atheist doesn't believe an agnostic doesn't/does know E.G An atheist who doesn't know their is no god or an atheist who knows or is certain there is no god. Same can go for theists and any other religion.

Edited by Dxnill

Been considering changing my vote to Buddhist. I've never considered myself religious, in fact I somewhat dislike any religion that worships a god. Instead I've always found myself to be more spiritually aligned. Because of this, Buddhism is the only 'religion' that I can really identify with and as I begin the second decade of my life I've been considering seeing a Buddhist about learning their beliefs and such.

I'll update my vote if I do end up changing my belief system.

If you are serious about this, I am a practicing Buddhist so you could give me a buzz via PM if you want some advice or basic outline. If I might add though, it is possible to believe in a deity and be spiritual, they are not antithetical.

Asatru, so technically germanic/scandinavian paganism. Came into after reading so much about the Norse lands, and the sagas, that I started to feel more at home with them than the Wicca, Druidism, Satanism, or Christianity I had tried before.

Might also be of note to say I'm also Atheistic at the same time, if that makes sense to anybody.

• Brohoof 1

Still Christian and still strong, albeit my beliefs being a little different from most's in the religion. I am a bisexual trans female, after all.

Well as a fellow Christian, I see no contradiction in that. Thank you though for keeping your faith strong.  :)

If you would like, there is a thread you might be interested in just taking a look at.

https://mlpforums.com/topic/44444-christian-bronies-meet-greet-and-mingle/page-1 

• 3 weeks later...

I do not care or show interest in religion. I rather play a game or watch a show tbh. Though some of my family I think is Christian, like my mom and maybe some of my siblings. Religion starts problems, so therefore I find it pointless. Though I do admit it started some nice holidays, and fiction. I like the idea of the four horseman of the apocalypse, and maybe some other things, idk.  :muffins:

I am a spiritual leader - I teach a faith called dichotomy. It is much too involved to explain here - just click the spiritual links in my sig to find out more hehe

According to the link, proposing yourself to be a deity is a little bit ostentatious, is it not?

Forgive the imposition, but it's curious that the page is marked "Comedian".

Edited by Blue
  • Brohoof 1

According to the link, proposing yourself to be a deity is a little bit ostentatious, is it not?

Forgive the imposition, but it's curious that the page is marked "Comedian".

not at all, for in my faith, all beings are divine. The page is not a singular persons account - several source "speakers" use it to all collective output one mind, like a hive mind. They can output singularly but the one voice is always the same, sounds the same no matter who speaks, and always has the same personality and brilliance.

The page is not about any one person at all - it is about the creator - and the advice it wishes to give. The source speakers are not even named on the page, for their personal roles are simply to output the connection that is source.

and of course it is marked comedian - for source created all to experience and be entertained, and thus life exists like an endless puppet show to it - its collective forgetting selves bumbling along, and it observing amused by all that transpires - source can not help but be anything BUT a comedian :)

Edited by Chronamut
  • Brohoof 1

not at all, for in my faith, all beings are divine. The page is not a singular persons account - several source "speakers" use it to all collective output one mind, like a hive mind. They can output singularly but the one voice is always the same, sounds the same no matter who speaks, and always has the same personality and brilliance.

The page is not about any one person at all - it is about the creator - and the advice it wishes to give. The source speakers are not even named on the page, for their personal roles are simply to output the connection that is source.

and of course it is marked comedian - for source created all to experience and be entertained, and thus life exists like an endless puppet show to it - its collective forgetting selves bumbling along, and it observing amused by all that transpires - source can not help but be anything BUT a comedian :)

A little unorthodox but I'm always the first to say something is better than nothing and I certainly think the ability to laugh at absurdities within the world is a show of true faith as long as the joke isn't punching down mockery.

A little unorthodox but I'm always the first to say something is better than nothing and I certainly think the ability to laugh at absurdities within the world is a show of true faith as long as the joke isn't punching down mockery.

well in this case all souls are PART of the creators overall essence, so to mock any of them would be to mock itself. It puts things in a whole nother perspective - all beings are branches of the same tree, with source as its heart - we are the leaves, the branches and the whole, and thus all others are also us, just viewed from a different perspective, if you choose to believe that you are not you, but simply a divine being PRETENDING to be you, and pretending to be everyone else - much like the people on this forum are all PRETENDING to be their own OCs :)

imagine if everyone on this forum was the same person all pretending to be different accounts - it is kind of like that, all in various stages of remembering that is what they are doing, and thus acting according depending on their different comprehensional levels, which is why some people act bad, and others good - there is no good or bad, just various levels of forgetting which causes people to act out of narrow or broad perceptions of the bigger picture.

Edited by Chronamut
  • Brohoof 1

well in this case all souls are PART of the creators overall essence, so to mock any of them would be to mock itself. It puts things in a whole nother perspective - all beings are branches of the same tree, with source as its heart - we are the leaves, the branches and the whole, and thus all others are also us, just viewed fro ma different perspective, if you choose to believe that you are not you, but simply a divine being PRETENDING to be you, and pretending to be everyone else - must like the people on this forum are all PRETENDING to be their own OCs :)

imagine if everyone on this forum was the same person all pretending to be different accounts - it is kind of like that, all in various stages of remembering that is what they are doing, and thus acting according depending on their different comprehensional levels, which is why some people act bad, and others good - there is no good or bad, just various levels of forgetting which causes people to act out of narrow or broad perceptions of the bigger picture.

I get what you are saying, we are all a part of God and He lives through us. All truly united in the ways that matter. It brings to mind a passage.

"And then the King will say, 'Truly I tell you, what you do unto the least of my brothers and sisters, you do unto me."

~Matthew 25:40

To put it another way, "what you do to the least of your brothers and sisters, you do to yourself."

the main truth is - there is no self - the ego is the self - the ego is what is imagined to live life - without it it is just god imagining "what if"

souls are the portions of god deliberately made to forget so they can play their own game naively, learning as they go, developing a character for themselves.

Spiritual people use Source instead of God, to differentiate it from all the dogma religious people use - it's easier - source is the source of all existence and consciousness, if it can be it is source. Source is within all.

Source also sees you the same way you see an OC you create (incarnate) here - you may relate to it, or you may discard it once the experience you got from it no longer provides any entertainment to you and create another (incarnations, reincarnations)

Spiritual people use Source instead of God, to differentiate it from all the dogma religious people use - it's easier - source is the source of all existence and consciousness, if it can be it is source. Source is within all.

You assume that one can't be both?

That I can't practice my Christian and Buddhist doctrine and still have claim to spirituality?

Source also sees you the same way you see an OC you create (incarnate) here - you may relate to it, or you may discard it once the experience you got from it no longer provides any entertainment to you and create another (incarnations, reincarnations)

That's rather nihilistic, that the Divine views us as something so expendable rather than with infinite love. Why would God, an all powerful and infinite mind, be so evidently limited and human in how It sees It's creations?

the main truth is - there is no self - the ego is the self - the ego is what is imagined to live life - without it it is just god imagining "what if"

According to Buddhist thought, it is false to say there is no self just as much as it is to say only the self exists, that they are two extremes. That the truth is one must act as simply being. Not on compulsion from being part of a larger system but not out of selfishness either. 

Edited by Steel Accord

You assume that one can't be both?

That I can't practice my Christian and Buddhist doctrine and still have claim to spirituality?

That's rather nihilistic, that the Divine views us as something so expendable rather than with infinite love. Why would God, an all powerful and infinite mind, be so evidently limited and human in how It sees It's creations?

According to Buddhist thought, it is false to say there is no self just as much as it is to say only the self exists, that they are two extremes. That the truth is one must act as simply being. Not on compulsion from being part of a larger system but not out of selfishness either. 

because we are not us, we are IT. Our views of things within our own lives reflect that. It is only nihilistic if you put all the value of your existence on the construct you have made of yourself as the ego, and not on the collective experiences that have caused your soul to grow as a result.

It is not discarding, as to source the focus is not on what makes the character the character, but what the character, being what it is, achieves through experience.. like unlocking achievements through having specific stats. The soul grows and matures, and then OUTGROWS the character, and thus source needs a new character to evolve and learn new lessons. The character dies and it incarnates a new one - or if the current avatar failed to unlock the achievements its stats were constructed to experience - it REINCARNATES it, and makes it re-experience similar lessons so that it may unlock those achievements, grow  as a soul, and move on.

The ego is expendable, because the ego, does not exist. It is something you think you are, but in the end you are all just souls wearing the bodies of humans using them to learn.

keep in mind that you are using one spiritual faith to try to justify another spiritual faith. Buddhism is not dichotomy. It is a separate faith. Dichotomy teaches that you are not you - you are source pretending to be you, and thus it drives your focus away from being the singular ego, and widens it up to the COLLECTIVE ego - it takes you from thinking you are a branch observing other branches to being the tree, observing all of its branches. As the tree if one of your branches does not function properly, you can cut off the energy to it and let it die, and grow a new one. That is the truth of dichotomy - you are not one or the other - you are both. Your mind exists in the collective unity that is source, being all things, and your body exists as the singular willed ego construct so that you may learn lessons through being something that is not at all times collectively one.

You go from thinking you are a piece of the pie to understanding "you are the pie, thinking you are a piece of the pie."

also nobody said you can't practice both. However to be spiritual is to look within - to be religious is to look externally. GENERALLY one is one or the other. To see things in a more encompassing light tends to draw one away from religion. I can see the merits of religion - it teaches you that a god exists, but it doesn't necessarily allow you to believe that you ARE that god, while spirituality does - so each is like a step in understanding. religion might be one step, athiesm, another, buddhism another, dichotomy another.
Edited by Chronamut

@@Chronamut,

I guess we'll simply have to agree to disagree but I do applaud you as having a faith very well worked out enough for yourself. And I'm not trying to say you are wrong or any such.

I do have one question though, you use both OCs and video games as examples, are they how you came to the conclusion of Dichotomy?