Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

movies/tv Shows that never jumped the shark

TailsIsNotAlone

What, in your opinion, are some shows that never suffered a dramatic decline as long as they were on the air?

First one that comes to mind for me is Daria. A smart, unique, darkly comic and cool show that was atypical to start with, then pushed the boundaries of its formula quite a bit in the last few years with Daria's relationships with Jane, Tom, Trent, Quinn, and her parents. Daria was on for five seasons and never got close to the ocean. ;)

Garfield & Friends, a late 80s-early 90s show about Garfield that no one remembers. But in its time it was a super cartoon. For being based on a comic strip with such a limited style of humor (lazy cat eats and sleeps ad infinitum), the writers made magic out of it. This one also went five years without a downhill slide.

Your turn!

• Brohoof 2

Happy Days! Wait no...

That 70's Show! Oh no...

Bewitched! No, no, not that either.

Spongebob Squarepants! Gee, I'm not really good at this.

Seriously as long as show knows when it's time to gracefully move on, then it won't jump the shark.

~

• Brohoof 4

Firefly it didn't have time to decline, one season and it was canceled. even though it was about 1000 times better then half the utter tripe that is on tv now. I never watch tv in fact I don't even think my tv is plugged in... *checking*...... it is not for that matter the only thing plugged into my tv is a sega megadrive.

• Brohoof 1

From what I watched, at least three very well-known shows that date back to my youth. While they're no longer in production, the quality never sunk.

1. Mister Rogers' Neighborhood. This show debuted in 1968, long before I was born. It taught young children back then, and it never disrespected both the kids and their guardians. Twenty years later, the premise remained the same, and the respect Mister Rogers' Neighborhood showed to its audience never wavered. It taught some sensitive subjects such as death, divorce, and war very well, and he was a class act on and off the studio. It ended on top and still remains as one of the best family-friendly live-action shows of all-time.

2. Pee-Wee's Playhouse. A show that aired on the CBS Kids block in the late 1980s and early 1990s. Very kid-friendly, but it inserted some jokes and humor that crossed boundaries. Also, both PW'sP and MLP:FIM have one thing in common: They each have a passionate adult audience. Even when the seasons and sets changed, its humor, zany slapstick, and morals they weave in are so well-done and transcends generations. The show's run ended way too abruptly for me, but the show still lives on.

3. The Joy of Painting with Bob Ross. Beginning in 1982, this show went on a twelve-year run, from Series 1 in 1982 (from WNVC's studio in Fairfax) to Series 31 (Series 2 through 31 aired from WIPB's public television station in Muncie, Indiana). It started very quick-paced, and it slowly settled with close-ups, new techniques, new equipment, and new techniques on how to paint a beautiful landscape in 30 minutes, whether the canvas was white, black, gray, a design, or something else in mind. Occasionally, other guests came onto the show, notably his son Steve. But despite the changes and occasional repetition, it never insults its audience, always paints a quality painting, and constantly tells his audience that anybody can paint. Although production ended suddenly when Bob Ross got too sick (he died on Independence Day 1995 at 52 years old from a second round of lymphoma), the show still lives on, constantly bringing people young and old following his death to the Bob Ross technique.

Wishbone, as far as I can remember, never did and shark jumping. Of course, I was still pretty young when it ended, so I might not have noticed it. I remember never being really bored by it, or thinking it wasn't as good anymore (obviously, there were some episodes I didn't like as much, but there was no general decline in quality, as far as I remember).

Firefly never had time to jump the shark. But it's so awesome, I bet it never would (fanboying here) :)

Actually, I didn't like Serentiy as much as the show, so if it counts, I guess it jumped a very small shark then.

Edited by Evilshy

First one that comes to mind for me is Daria. A smart, unique, darkly comic and cool show.

Didn't Daria have a musical inspired episode where they thought a storm was gonna destroy their town but it didn't? I don't know what you consider jumping the shark, but I'd say that was at least a little off. But I'm often wrong so disregard what I said. A show that never deviated from it's core roots for me was... I can't really think of one... I was gonna say Freakazoid! But... That whole show is about jumping the shark.

• 1 year later...

The Simpsons. The quality has dropped, but still, nothing has killed the show completely. The same I can say with Spongebob and South Park.

Samurai Jack, there was only one bad episode that I can remember, but it never jumped the shark.

MLP so far hasn't, but children's show don't tend to jump the shark very often.

Dr.Who has been alive for 50 years, and while it had bad episodes in almost every different generation, it never jumped the shark completely.

Edited by Darker

South Park. The show opened with a episode about bodily probes and children that keep dying.

As a show that not only jumped the shark day one, but then made fun of said shark for being stupid. The only issue that threatens to plague it now is its toning down from a gross out comedy with very intelligent social commentary hidden in it to just another TV animated sitcom.

• Brohoof 1

Battle Force 5, though this is more due to the fact that it was killed so early(only 2 seasons), it never had a chance too. MLP as well, though Season 5 is an unknown. Dragon Ball Z and Gurren Lagann also didn't jump it

Edited by Evil Dragon Master

Well first Mlp. Say what you will about Twilicorn or Twilight's new castle I still don't see it as jumping the shark.

Also, South Park. It actually evolved from a typical gross out show to more about social commentary.

I also don't find the new Simpsons as bad as people say it is.

King of the Hill was pretty consistant in its quality considering how long it lasted. Yeah there were some weak seasons, but for the most part fans and the general audience enjoyed it all the way through