Yellow Diamond

60 users have voted

1. 1. Did you like it?

• No, I hated it! >:(
    • I didn't like it.
    • Meh. It was ok.
    • I liked it!
    • I LOVED IT! <3

No, I still prefer my theory. With the 'Luna woke Dash' theory, we have the 'Luna is a Scootalove fan, writes Scootalove fan fiction, and purposefully brought them together so she could fangasm.'

To clarify, my post was a Star Wars reference.  ;)  I agree that it'd be super cool is Luna woke Dash and orchestrated the whole thing!

To clarify, my post was a Star Wars reference.  ;)  I agree that it'd be super cool is Luna woke Dash and orchestrated the whole thing!

And I was just being funny in response, because I knew you were as well :3 Glad you agree in any case, though. I hope to see moar Scootalove in the future, and more Luna dream-scapeing.

the campfire thing might be true (but hey, we don't know how Equestria works right? XD), but using matches would be SEVERLY dangerous when done with the mouth, and I don't think lighters even exist in Equestria.

The thing that gets me about the campfires is that the creators deliberately chose to show not one, but two major inaccuracies. The first is the incorrect use of the bow drill, and the second is the pathetically small amount of firewood used. I understand that it may not have been very realistic to show ponies using matches, and maybe the creators didn't want to show kids how to light matches for safety reasons. I think that if they wanted to show the campfires being lit, they could have shown Applejack using the bow drill (still incorrectly) to light some tinder surrounded by kindling and logs. I can't think of a good reason why they didn't show that a campfire consists of more than 3-4 sticks, or that at the very least, a bow drill is used to light tinder and not used directly on the campfire fuel. 

Besides, It was not even necessary to show the campfires being lit in either case - it was not essential to the plot and would not be particularly interesting except for the inaccuracies. With some minor edits, the campfire scenes could have just cut to the characters sitting around an already-lit campfire. Yet instead, the creators chose to show the campfires being lit with the two major inaccuracies.

And of course with how TERRIFIED she was of the headless horse, naturally her first instinct is going to be to run away, adding to the fact she's just a filly.

Yeah, I guess it's easy to criticize others' reactions to a dangerous situation after the fact and far away from any danger. I would like to think that I would stay calm and rational in a dangerous situation, but I guess I won't know until I'm actually in one.

And why Luna COULDN'T have those kind of powers? Celestia was able to null a spell as if it was absolutely nothing back in Lesson Zero, and if anything the only reason, I think, she lost against Chrysalis was because said queen changeling was super powered up. Plus, she with Luna are able to banish a pony in the arctic. I think that goes to show how really powerful they are.   

There's already a thrad to discuss how Luna would be able to see sense when a pony could need her help in a nightmare, but for me, she either can enter a world where she can check on every dream and gets an alert where there might be trouble, or she can sense when a pony is in danger and goes to use magic to enter said pony's dreamscape. Plus, Luna had already entered Scootaloo's dream before her definite apprearance, which leads me to believe she stays in one dream as well to confirm if a pony is in truly in need of some help or not. Someone could consider something their duty even if not officially proclaimed. How many times have we heard that kind of phrases in shows, cartoons, animes, etc? She definitely wants to help and gain some recognition from the ponies and she probably thinks that she is helping this way. Plus, for all we know, she did this WAY before she even became Nightmare Moon.

Right now, I can think of three problems I have with Luna's new ability to enter into dreams. One is that it has the potential to be abused as a deus ex machina plot device or cheap explanation to cover inconsistencies later. 

Second is that I think Luna's ability to do this is a significant invasion of privacy. Did the ponies of Equestria agree that Luna should be doing this? Can individuals or parents on behalf of their children choose to opt out? That is, can they say "I can handle my/my child's nightmares myself, I don't want Luna to invade the private dreams of me/my child"? Even if ponies could opt out, what guarantee could there be that Luna wouldn't riffle through their dreams anyway? Is there any redress of grievances if Luna gives someone bad advice, or gives a child advice that contradicts what his or her parents are trying to teach? If someone ignores Luna's advice, does she keep coming back and insisting that he or she take her advice until they do?

Third is just that I am uncomfortable with Celestia and Luna becoming too God-like in their powers. In part this is because of my first point - basically the writers being able to give the two of them any necessary powers to advance the plot. Furthermore, Celestia and Luna being too powerful might make them less believable and relatable as characters. But also (this is my individualistic philosophy showing), I don't like authority figures with massive power (with massive potential for abuse) over millions of individuals being portrayed as entirely benevolent and deserving of trust and adoration.

That's a very good question! (Should use for a thread IMO).

Okay, I'll see if I can do that. Thanks for the suggestion!

While getting a nostalgia rush and looking back through me and Chaotic Discord's Roleplay, I found something really trippy. (remember throughout this post that this roleplay was planned late August and early September, about 3 months before the Scootalove episode came out)

RP Link:

http://mlpforums.com/topic/31519-surrogate-sisters/

Read through the first page of the RP (you don't need to read any more than that to get my point) Once you read that page, continue reading this post.

If you notice, the way me and Discord had planned for our RP to start is peculiarly similar to the way "Sleepless in Ponyville" came about.

In our roleplay, Rainbow Dash finds Scootaloo in the middle of the night and asks why she's out by herself, Scootaloo cries, but eventually confesses why she was out so late.

In "Sleepless in Ponyville" Rainbow Dash finds Scootaloo wandering in the middle of the night and asks why she's out by herself, Scootaloo cries, and eventually gets it in her to tell RD the truth as to why she kept oddly going by herself in the middle of the night.

This is probably the most awesome coincident I've even seen in this show. The scene Roleplay that me and Chaotic Discord did nearly paralleled the way it played out in the official episode.

*mind blown*

• Brohoof 4

Again, 'whether we see the scooter again or not'. I don't mind it returning either and I imagine it might, since Scoots isn't suddenly going to be able to fly in the next episode we see her in (or at least I hope that wouldn't be the case), was just making a point, and it was made. She may learn to fly thanks to Dash one day, and find that her cutie mark may end up being something relating to her scootering abilities, after she had expected it to be something related to flying.   --   If the episode writers bothered making Luna capable of invading dreams in the first place, and put her in this episode to try and teach Scootaloo to overcome her fear of Rainbow Dash's rejection, then I'd think it makes a lot more sense, and also makes everything a lot more interesting if Luna was aware of the danger, and got Rainbow to wake up on purpose.   After all, if one of the others had woken up, noticed Scootaloo was gone, and awoken Dash to inform her, I wouldn't think they'd be like 'Oh, hey Rainbow, you go look for the lost filly who could be in danger. I'll go back to sleep.' No, they would have gone with Rainbow to assist in trying to locate Scootaloo. The climactic and adorable ending might not have happened then, since it wouldn't have just been Dash and Scoots. However, if we look at the 'Luna woke Dash and Dash alone' scenario, things would have been working in her favor, because Luna would have known that this moment had to be a heart-to-heart between just the two of them, and no one else.   Luna came into the moon at just the right moment, and then later, she winked to Scootaloo in the fillies' dream after Raindream Dash the Big Sister came to her rescue. To me that just further hints to the idea that Luna had been kinda orchestrating this to turn out the way it did.   Thus, I think Luna woke Dash through her own dreams :3

Well,if all that you said happens, she starts flying making tricks alongside Rainbow Dash, and on the ground, becomes like Eliza Streamer in the real world, I'm gonna be a VERY happy man. :D

And, to defend my own theory, Dash IS the fastest of ponies on the searching manner because she can fly faster than anyone, and she's the only one who could have flown. That alone gives her a very huge edge on speed. Or, between waiting for Rarity and Sweetie Belle, or viceversa or similar, RD could have already flown on her own.

HOWEVER, given that one of my theories is that Luna can sense when a pony could use some help in the nightmares and/or is able to enter a sort of Collective Conscious a la Psychonauts that allows her to enter the dreams of other ponies, your theory is also awesome, so I can agree :3.

The thing that gets me about the campfires is that the creators deliberately chose to show not one, but two major inaccuracies. The first is the incorrect use of the bow drill, and the second is the pathetically small amount of firewood used. I understand that it may not have been very realistic to show ponies using matches, and maybe the creators didn't want to show kids how to light matches for safety reasons. I think that if they wanted to show the campfires being lit, they could have shown Applejack using the bow drill (still incorrectly) to light some tinder surrounded by kindling and logs. I can't think of a good reason why they didn't show that a campfire consists of more than 3-4 sticks, or that at the very least, a bow drill is used to light tinder and not used directly on the campfire fuel.    Besides, It was not even necessary to show the campfires being lit in either case - it was not essential to the plot and would not be particularly interesting except for the inaccuracies. With some minor edits, the campfire scenes could have just cut to the characters sitting around an already-lit campfire. Yet instead, the creators chose to show the campfires being lit with the two major inaccuracies.

The use of the bow drill I could chalk it up to the way it's used. They HAVE to create a different way to use the bow drill since they are, well, ponies (although I might be misunderstanding something you said). As for the rest, sorry, here's when I throw my "It's a fantasy show, this is as good as it gets" card XD.

However, the writers did say they wanted to keep on explaining the world of Equestria, so making us learn how they would light a campfire seems like a nice thing IMO. The more they can tell us how the ponies do things we'd normally do, the more we can understand how they live and stuff.

Right now, I can think of three problems I have with Luna's new ability to enter into dreams. One is that it has the potential to be abused as a deus ex machina plot device or cheap explanation to cover inconsistencies later.    Second is that I think Luna's ability to do this is a significant invasion of privacy. Did the ponies of Equestria agree that Luna should be doing this? Can individuals or parents on behalf of their children choose to opt out? That is, can they say "I can handle my/my child's nightmares myself, I don't want Luna to invade the private dreams of me/my child"? Even if ponies could opt out, what guarantee could there be that Luna wouldn't riffle through their dreams anyway? Is there any redress of grievances if Luna gives someone bad advice, or gives a child advice that contradicts what his or her parents are trying to teach? If someone ignores Luna's advice, does she keep coming back and insisting that he or she take her advice until they do?   Third is just that I am uncomfortable with Celestia and Luna becoming too God-like in their powers. In part this is because of my first point - basically the writers being able to give the two of them any necessary powers to advance the plot. Furthermore, Celestia and Luna being too powerful might make them less believable and relatable as characters. But also (this is my individualistic philosophy showing), I don't like authority figures with massive power (with massive potential for abuse) over millions of individuals being portrayed as entirely benevolent and deserving of trust and adoration.

Well, Luna would only use her power to help out ponies rather than anything else. I don't think there are many situations where dreamwalking would have an opportunity to be used as a deux ex machina. If it was the mind, then that's another story. But Luna can only enter dreams, not minds, it seems.

Plus, as much as it is a sort of privacy invasion, Luna probably only uses her power when she sees that the pony in question would not feel intruded, rather aleviated to see her. A random use of it doesn't seem like something Luna would do. I'd rather like to believe that she'd use her power ONLY when she feels she's not being an intrusion nor insulting anypony at all. I don't think she'd enter a filly's/colt's dreams unless she thought her/his parents aren't capable to see it, or the child won't talk about it. Luna was already at loose terms with Equestrians, the last thing she wants to do is do something bad. Again.

I don't think that Luna and Celestia have become WAY too powerful. Sure they are very, very powerful, but I don't think it has reached that level just yet. Look at the villains. They had to use the Elements of Harmony to defeat Discord, they had to work together to banish King Sombra and Celestia wasn't able to defeat Chrysalis. That goes to show that they aren't too powerful, and that very powerful creatures out there that are evil exist as well. And I don't think the writers would pull a "HERE COMES CELESTIA/LUNA!" and everything is already fine and dandy. Oh no. They are going to do it long and hard, that's for sure.

I'm disappointed that RD was still Uber-Swag from the very first second of the show to the last. It's like she's got some learning disabilities that counter everything she was supposed to develop in Season 2, and the worst part is Scootaloo aspires to become like that and succeeding at it.

I'm gonna have to disagree here. The thing about RD is that she doesn't stay out of character, and her flaunting is STILL her own personality. And, she's also very oblivious and tactless when it comes to some things. However, when Scootaloo came, she becomes the pony Scoots wants to see. She was already willing to down her ego just to make Scootaloo feel better. She also realizes how much Scoots idolizes her, which is why, as well as seeing the potential Scootaloo has, she took the filly under her wing with no second thought. And the way she hugged her and helped her fly...that was enough to show me that Dash has a caring side. Plus, Scootaloo strives to become like Rainbow Dash...in her skills. Considering how the filly can't fly yet and Dash is the best pegasus in Ponyville, it's OBVIOUS she wants to be just as good as her. And as another plus, Scoots has a behavior already similar to Rainbow Dash, so even more the connection. If Scootaloo presents a personality like RD, I think it will be because she would have already become like that, not because of RD. And I don't think said cyan-colored pegasus is a bad enough role model to note teach the filly when to and when NOT to show the kind of pride RD shows.

Maybe the writers don't like her that much.

-Had a good amount of screen time in The Crystal Empire.

-Represented the mother figure in One Bad Apple.

-Had enough screen time in Sleepless in Ponyville.

-Already has a centric chapter of herself, called Apple Family Reunion.

I think we would notice if the writers didn't like AJ XD. Besides, the thing about AJ being is that, being the most mature, developing things with her isn't as easy as others. And if the premise of her centric episode is something, and the fact Meghan McCarthy herself said "There will be more crazy pony episodes"...I have the feeling this her centric episode will be it...

• Brohoof 1

I. LOVED. This EPISOODE :D

I loved it when Princess Luna went into Scootaloo's dream to let her know to face her fear of confessing herself to RD

DREAMWALKING LUNA IS BEST PRINCESS, BUCK YES :D

• Brohoof 1

Princess Luna was quite a twist, especially her appearance. From cold to almost menacing as we know her,  she appears as soothing and caring. And her voice was played by Rarity's VA this time. I wonder what happened to her original VA. Nonetheless, she played her cameo appearance like a boss and made every second of her presence worth it.

Tabitha St. Germain has always voiced Luna/Nightmare moon even in the pilot, Luna's just not using her haughty, regal tone because she doesn't want to intimidate the scared filly having nightmares.

Was it just me, or was Applebloom's voice messed up?

I always thought that her accent was adorable, yet this episode I was extremely irate everytime she opened her muzzle.

Perhaps I'm crazy, but it sounded different.

Yeah, I noticed that as well. it seems they're finally more comfortable with moving away from the educational/informative branding they had in the first season- I mean sure, it helped season 2 structurally I think, but it was still somewhat cheesy and the lessons were sort of starting to overlap. I suppose now they realize that friendship letters just aren't as intergral to episode structures anymore, and I'd be perfectly content if the rest of season 3 didn't have them as well. Still, we don't want Celestia getting too lonely now, do we? ;)

0.jpg

Speaking of which this was one of the only episodes that doesn't give Twilight any screen time at all. Looks like Season 3 will barely have any moral epilogues.

• Brohoof 2

Tabitha St. Germain has always voiced Luna/Nightmare moon even in the pilot, Luna's just not using her haughty, regal tone because she doesn't want to intimidate the scared filly having nightmares.

Oh, that would explain it.

But still...

LV1VX3OiIUWIPA8Yx4UlnA2.png

• Brohoof 2

The CMCs sound different because the actresses' voices are changing. DURRRRR

Michelle, Claire and Madeleine are how old, 13? 14? Old enough for, say, Sweetie Belle to start losing her trademark squeak.

Michelle and Claire are thirteen and Madeleine is sixteen. It'll be interesting to see how their aging will affect their voice acting performance although Madeleine is probably safe, I doubt her voice is still changing.

I love when sweetie bell says rarity loves camping and how she "convince" her. It's a drama fillie and the way she told scotaloo and applebloom "see i told she wanna go" so naturaly.

• Brohoof 2

Well, Luna would only use her power to help out ponies rather than anything else. I don't think there are many situations where dreamwalking would have an opportunity to be used as a deux ex machina. If it was the mind, then that's another story. But Luna can only enter dreams, not minds, it seems.  

Plus, as much as it is a sort of privacy invasion, Luna probably only uses her power when she sees that the pony in question would not feel intruded, rather aleviated to see her. A random use of it doesn't seem like something Luna would do. I'd rather like to believe that she'd use her power ONLY when she feels she's not being an intrusion nor insulting anypony at all. I don't think she'd enter a filly's/colt's dreams unless she thought her/his parents aren't capable to see it, or the child won't talk about it. Luna was already at loose terms with Equestrians, the last thing she wants to do is do something bad. Again.  

I don't think that Luna and Celestia have become WAY too powerful. Sure they are very, very powerful, but I don't think it has reached that level just yet. Look at the villains. They had to use the Elements of Harmony to defeat Discord, they had to work together to banish King Sombra and Celestia wasn't able to defeat Chrysalis. That goes to show that they aren't too powerful, and that very powerful creatures out there that are evil exist as well. And I don't think the writers would pull a "HERE COMES CELESTIA/LUNA!" and everything is already fine and dandy. Oh no. They are going to do it long and hard, that's for sure.

Okay, a few more random thoughts that I have about Luna's dream-entering power, then I will be done.

First, are the ponies of Equestria actually aware that Luna has this power? Allow me to reproduce some of the dialogue from the episode, when Luna introduces herself to Scootaloo in her dream:

SCOOTALOO:  You are so, so much better than the Headless Horse! But what are you doing here? Shouldn't you be in Canterlot?

LUNA: I am the princess of the night. Thus it is my duty to come into your dreams.

SCOOTALOO: Oh, yeah... (while looking sideways with her hoof to her chin) Wait, this is just a dream? But it feels so real!

The question in my mind is, was Scootaloo's "Oh, yeah..." more of an "Oh, yeah, now I remember learning that that is one of Luna's duties" or was it more of an "Oh, yeah, I never knew that before but it makes sense since Luna is the princess of the night and all"?

If the ponies of Equestria are NOT aware that Luna has this power, then why not? Don't the ponies of Equestria deserve to know that Luna might enter their dreams? Wouldn't it be beneficial for ponies to know that Luna might enter their dreams and that they should be sure to seek her out and listen to her advice? Even if Princess Luna doesn't make some kind of worldwide declaration that she does this, wouldn't the ponies which have had Luna visit their dreams tell others and spread the word?

The questions about invasion of privacy and handing too much power to an authority figure basically boil down to: do the ponies of Equestria trust Luna to use her dream-entering power wisely and judiciously? Maybe in the fantastical world of Equestria, Luna and Celestia are wholly benevolent rulers who can always be trusted to use their great powers only in the interest of their subjects. In the real world, though, authority figures can rarely (if ever) be always trusted not to abuse powers given to them. This is why we have inalienable rights which are (supposedly) protected by law. Thus the show seems unrealistic to me in that the rulers of Equestria apparently can be and are trusted not to abuse their enormous powers.

Along that same train of thought, though, we do have to consider that the intended audience of the show is supposed to be little kids. To some extent, little kids do have to be taught to trust and obey authority figures (parents, teachers, etc.). However, at some point, those same kids also should be taught to think for themselves and not to just believe or do anything that an authoritative figure tells them. While it may be comforting to believe that authority figures will always be looking out for you and your best interests, that will not always be the case. With those things in mind, is the portrayal in the show of total trust in Celestia and Luna that I explained above appropriate?

Edited by Music Chart Fan

Along that same train of thought, though, we do have to consider that the intended audience of the show is supposed to be little kids. To some extent, little kids do have to be taught to trust and obey authority figures (parents, teachers, etc.). However, at some point, those same kids also should be taught to think for themselves and not to just believe or do anything that an authoritative figure tells them. While it may be comforting to believe that authority figures will always be looking out for you and your best interests, that will not always be the case. With those things in mind, is the portrayal in the show of total trust in Celestia and Luna that I explained above appropriate?

To be fair, it seems that Celestia at least is restricted by rules and regulations (See: The Best Night Ever). As for Luna... I've got nothing.

I thought this was going to be Sleepless in Seattle for ponies, but I guess I missed a horror reference somewhere along!

It was interesting, and a focus on Scootaloo was quite well done. I do wonder though about the CMC - at first with the cutie mark = puberty thing I assumed they were equivalent to 12 year olds, but now they seem more like ten year olds. One can only assume that in America, their 12 year olds are like our 10 year olds, and their 10 year olds are like our 12 year olds. Or something... I guess it just means that the writers have developed in their minds the idea of what a younger pony should be, whilst at the same time forgetting that they should all have two years of character development.

Maybe its like the Simpsons - the kids never grow up and sometimes they are defined downwards

But this is a very intriguing episode - apart from Scootaloo trying to meet Fandom's desire of having Rainbow take her under her wing, this is on the one hand a sisterhood episode, and on the other a most unexpexted Luna episode.

If you view it out of context, and without any worries about CMC relative ages and previous appearances, then Scootaloo's predicament is easy to understand. She is a wow pony, cool and determined, self-reliant (we never see any relatives), and very prettily drawn (who would know that orange and purple were so cool!). But she is weak - she is alone, she has nobody to rely on, her hero believes her bluster, whereas both Applejack and Rarity understand that their brave little sisters often need support, and comfort.

The tall tales of dark deeds were an interesting route into Scootaloo's dreams, but at the same time they were a powerful way to bring Luna into the story. The end was hilarious.

This episode is better looking back on it and knowing what is going to happen than it is looking forward, This does not necessarily weaken it - it makes it better the second time around. You just have to get through it the first time

In the ened this episode is kinda cute, Luna makes it worth watching, and knowing what's going to happen it becomes more than it does when it is an unknown. Go Scootaloo!

Rating 7 out of 10

• Brohoof 2

I thought I drop by and give the heads up that the episode is now available to download from the iTunes Store.

But, there is a couple of audio issues that have the plagued the iTunes copy. According to a user on the one of the other MLP forums that I regularly visit, they have reported the audio becomes glitched at around the 16:44 mark when Scootaloo is speaking to Princess Luna and instead of the word "Canterlot" being said, a clucking sound can be heard from Scootaloo.

From that point, the audio becomes out of sync with the animation. I just wondering if anyone else is having the same issues with their iTunes copy?

EDIT: Equestria Daily has just done an article on the audio issues: http://www.equestriadaily.com/2012/12/sleepless-in-ponyville-itunes-issues.html

Also as a side note, this isn't the first time that the show has suffered from audio and sync issues. One of the Australian season 1 DVD releases had major sync issues due to the PAL speed up on the episodes.

Edited by rjrgmc28
  • Brohoof 3

This episode gave me so many wondrous feelings. I feel like the message was a big one that should be expressed to all of modern society. I feel that it's one of the bigger faults of the younger generation today. If only people knew what Scootaloo has learned here.

• Brohoof 2

SCOOTALOO EPISODE !

I absolutely loved this episode for multiple reasons.

First, the scenery, the backgrounds, etc... These are all new, and since I love mountains and stuff...

Second, the role of Luna in this one ! The Princesses are truly powerful and are not common ponies. I wanted to see that since the season 2 finale.

Third, Rainbow Dash being Rainbow Dash, I missed that too since a bunch of episodes....

And the lesson to learn was great too. This episode is really nice for the kids too.

The animation was great again, with many many funny faces. Rarity was a bit exagerated but that did not really annoy me.

Season 3 is really good so far !

Edited by Akihiro
  • Brohoof 3

Something bothering me ever so slightly about this episode. Princess Luna was supposed to be jealous because everypony slept through the night.. but she spends her nights in their dreams anyway?

I thought I drop by and give the heads up that the episode is now available to download from the iTunes Store.

But, there is a couple of audio issues that have the plagued the iTunes copy. According to a user on the one of the other MLP forums that I regularly visit, they have reported the audio becomes glitched at around the 16:44 mark when Scootaloo is speaking to Princess Luna and instead of the word "Canterlot" being said, a clucking sound can be heard from Scootaloo.

From that point, the audio becomes out of sync with the animation. I just wondering if anyone else is having the same issues with their iTunes copy?

EDIT: Equestria Daily has just done an article on the audio issues: http://www.equestriadaily.com/2012/12/sleepless-in-ponyville-itunes-issues.html

Also as a side note, this isn't the first time that the show has suffered from audio and sync issues. One of the Australian season 1 DVD releases had major sync issues due to the PAL speed up on the episodes.

Friendship is Magic part 1 on the Friendship Express DVD had this issue as well, but I believe they fixed it(I have the version with the issue though lol, don't really mind it :P).
  • Brohoof 1

Something bothering me ever so slightly about this episode. Princess Luna was supposed to be jealous because everypony slept through the night.. but she spends her nights in their dreams anyway?

That is interesting... Maybe it's a power she's only learned or been able to do since she was defeated as Nightmare Moon? Maybe there are limits on how much she can do it, or whose dreams she can enter?

That is interesting... Maybe it's a power she's only learned or been able to do since she was defeated as Nightmare Moon? Maybe there are limits on how much she can do it, or whose dreams she can enter?

I suppose... I really hope they revisit what caused Luna to change, what we were told was the myth that resulted of the true event. It would be nice to see exactly what happened.