Yellow Diamond

60 users have voted

1. 1. Did you like it?

• No, I hated it! >:(
    • I didn't like it.
    • Meh. It was ok.
    • I liked it!
    • I LOVED IT! <3

This was a pretty big episode for character development. We got Scootaloo becoming more open and honest with herself, we saw how much Rainbow Dash has really changed since season 1, showing her Element of Harmony and how she can be serious and respectful. Plus, we learned more about Luna's powers and role as Princess of the Night.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Because this episode features Luna in it, it's automatically awesome.

I know this episode is centered around Scootaloo and the camping trip. That's fine. But the beta storyline is "Luna comes full circle". We see her go from spiteful villain to broken and apologetic to socially awkward love-seeker...to the princess of the night she was supposed to be. Praise Luna for helping Scootaloo be courageous.

"When you awake, the thing that frightens you most will still exist. Everypony has fears, Scootaloo. Everypony must face them in their own way. But they must be faced, or the nightmares will continue."

I hope every little child who watches this show takes this advice to heart, fully. The adults, also.

tumblr_mewkhrzL9o1s0os3qo1_500.gif

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah, I think regardless of how you might feel about season 3 as a whole, most people agree that this was actually a really good episode that helps to cement Rainbow Dash as a mentor figure to Scootaloo (something that fans have wanted for awhile).  Not to mention the subtle reference to Ni No Kuni is a nice touch.

The fact is, in all its ups and downs, season 3 did have good episodes and alot of memorable moments. 

Edited by SBaby

• 1 month later...

This episode was kinda sad but I did enjoy seeing Luna again we really don't get to see her often. I thought the relationship between rainbow and scootaloo is cute. I really hope that there's another bonding episode like this in the future.

The best episode of the season 3, and by far.

Scootaloo's dream is perfect, and that little background music... :wub:

Princess Luna should appear more often in the show, the episodes with her are generally the best ones.

• Brohoof 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
(edited)

Sleepless in Ponyville - one of my least favorite episodes to date, with only one episode I liked less immediately coming to mind, that being the episode that is unforgivable, "Sonic Rainboom."

What makes this episode so popular? It's only because of Luna and Scootaloo/RD's bond, two thing that this fandom instantly starts salivating over.

Although I like Luna, Scootaloo, and Rainbow Dash just fine, I can't help but feel these things clouded the looking in view the fandom got of this episode.

What else did you like BESIDES those two things?

Because I saw sloppy characterization, lack of common sense, poor handling of continuity, and pandering to the fandom like crazy - something I don't have a problem with, but there's a such thing as too much.

Sweetie Belle can sing. She can - that's been proven and is the general consensus as to what her cutie mark is going to be. WHY did she suck SO BADLY? I mean, with the song we heard, we shouldn't have expected a godsend, angelic voice - but she shouldn't be THAT bad. 

Rainbow Dash isn't the smartest mane 6, but she's not a dumbass. She was pretty fricken' oblivious to Scoots the whole time - but people seemed to really enjoy that aspect of the episode, for whatever reason, when, it was nothing but Scootaloo getting shrugged off until the end.

Pandering to the fandom is pretty damn prevalent, as well. It's obvious to me that they gave Powell these tools like Luna and the Scootaloo/RD bond in order to ease pressure on her for her first episode, but if you were to take Luna out of the equation, how would you feel about it? Pandering. And everything Powell has done solo after this episode has been met with overwhelming negativity, and for good reason  - she didn't have these tools the fandom loves so much at her disposal.

Sloppy characterization - what in the FUCK was up with Rarity? God, she's generous. I'll drop my 6,000 character list telling you how she's generous. She was almost a slave driver with the way she offered little help to Sweetie Belle in this episode, enough so to overshadow the fact she was an amazing sister to Sweetie Belle in every other part of the episode. Powell, do you know these characters? Have you ever seen this show? I doubt it - my fuckin' black lab could characterize these ponies better than you, and he eats my socks every other day. You suck SO BAD at characterization that I hope you lose your job and I get pissed just talking about these "episodes" you write, if they're even deserving of the title of "episode."

Screw the episodes you write, Powell. Learn these characters - they're so much better than what you do with them. I hope you lose your job.

~ghostfacekiller39

Sleepless in Ponyville -

:D 

(out of a possible rating of 5)

Edited by ghostfacekiller39

I respect your opinion @ghostfacekiller39, but sorry I totally disagree with you. XD

The fact that it was a Luna/Scootaloo/Rainbow Dash episode didn't make it automatically good. The plot and the dialogues have to be great too, and it was the case in my opinion. I didn't find any character OOC at all if I remember well. Quite the contrary, I found Scoots/RD and especially Luna were at their best. :D

Another thing I really liked, this time not related to the characters: it took place during the night. This episode had an unique ambiance, so no, it's not only because Scoots, RD and Luna were in this episode that it was great. (and again, wonderful BGM during Scootaloo's dream :wub:)

Finally, though I agree with you Powell is not the best writer of the staff, it's by far her best episode, and she knew very well these characters IMO in this episode.

• 1 month later...

Sleepless in Ponyville - one of my least favorite episodes to date, with only one episode I liked less immediately coming to mind, that being the episode that is unforgivable, "Sonic Rainboom."

What makes this episode so popular? It's only because of Luna and Scootaloo/RD's bond, two thing that this fandom instantly starts salivating over.

Although I like Luna, Scootaloo, and Rainbow Dash just fine, I can't help but feel these things clouded the looking in view the fandom got of this episode.

What else did you like BESIDES those two things?

Because I saw sloppy characterization, lack of common sense, poor handling of continuity, and pandering to the fandom like crazy - something I don't have a problem with, but there's a such thing as too much.

Sweetie Belle can sing. She can - that's been proven and is the general consensus as to what her cutie mark is going to be. WHY did she suck SO BADLY? I mean, with the song we heard, we shouldn't have expected a godsend, angelic voice - but she shouldn't be THAT bad. 

Rainbow Dash isn't the smartest mane 6, but she's not a dumbass. She was pretty fricken' oblivious to Scoots the whole time - but people seemed to really enjoy that aspect of the episode, for whatever reason, when, it was nothing but Scootaloo getting shrugged off until the end.

Pandering to the fandom is pretty damn prevalent, as well. It's obvious to me that they gave Powell these tools like Luna and the Scootaloo/RD bond in order to ease pressure on her for her first episode, but if you were to take Luna out of the equation, how would you feel about it? Pandering. And everything Powell has done solo after this episode has been met with overwhelming negativity, and for good reason  - she didn't have these tools the fandom loves so much at her disposal.

Sloppy characterization - what in the FUCK was up with Rarity? God, she's generous. I'll drop my 6,000 character list telling you how she's generous. She was almost a slave driver with the way she offered little help to Sweetie Belle in this episode, enough so to overshadow the fact she was an amazing sister to Sweetie Belle in every other part of the episode. Powell, do you know these characters? Have you ever seen this show? I doubt it - my fuckin' black lab could characterize these ponies better than you, and he eats my socks every other day. You suck SO BAD at characterization that I hope you lose your job and I get pissed just talking about these "episodes" you write, if they're even deserving of the title of "episode."

Screw the episodes you write, Powell. Learn these characters - they're so much better than what you do with them. I hope you lose your job.

~ghostfacekiller39

Sleepless in Ponyville -

:D 

(out of a possible rating of 5)

Wow, you're kind of mean. Ghostie. This episode was amazing. It made me feel good, had heart warming moments. The story was NOT atrocious. And IMO Charlotte Fullerton is the worst writer. If you were to ask me the most overrated episode of the ENTIRE show, I'd tell you Suited for Success. It's Ok, but nothing spectacular. The remane 5 are completely ungrateful and unlikable, The song is passable, and the ending is the only real good part. And to say This episode is worse than the likes of Mare-Do-Well, and Boast Busters is preposterous. I respect your opinion, but i think you're over-exaggerating, and being extremely harsh to a still kind of new writer. Chill and have a good day, sir :)

• 2 months later...

Scootaloo is best filly. It's 'bout time she got an episode.  :lol:

Also, has anyone ever wondered where Scootaloo lives? Or is she just a hobo? I don't know....  :blink:

Lol. In Flight to the Finish, it showed a scene of her room (which was awesome). I know this is an old post, but I just wanted to clarify. :P
  • Brohoof 1

• 1 month later...

Honestly guys, I have to agree with Ghostie here.

It's not my least favorite episode, and it DOES have a good plot, but it's executed EXTREMELY poorly. It has a TON of butchered characterization (Rarity being mean to Sweetie Belle) and logic thrown out the window. (Applejack deciding to camp in a BLOODY CAVE).

This one is honestly going on my "meh" list.

5.5/10

I went over this episode a bit more "in-depth", if anyone wants to check that out.. http://mlpforums.com/blog/1755/entry-13244-sleepless-in-ponyville-re-review/

Edited by Skarloey

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

My sister was watching Klifford or whatever that show with a big red dog is the other day. She was watching an episode where a girl was dragged along camping and brought with a large pop-up tent almost exactly like Rarity's from this episode. She also didn't like "nature" in the same tone that Rarity said it, almost. While I don't typically watch children's shows, I was passing by the sofa when on screen a tent popped up and I made the link.

Has anypony else made this link?

• 2 months later...

I thought the episode was ok. I was not really impressed by it, but it was not boring. 

• 3 months later...

I loved this episode. I swear some people over-analyse these episodes so much they give themselves high blood pressure, then release it online.

I have only one thing to say to such people....

99 BUCKETS OF OATS ON THE WALL!!!!, 99 BUCKETS OF OATS!!!

AEa7O.gif

• 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...