Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

You Never Can Tell With Some People

Regality

Okay, so today I just found it something pretty disturbing, and perhaps a bit funny.

For Christmas break I'm visiting my family, and my mom is a teacher at the high school I attended. Well today she just informed me that my former history teacher was arrested and subsequently fired. Apparently on one of the last few days before the Christmas break, he was caught drinking on the job. This in and of itself was quite startling, but then I recalled something that almost made me burst in laughter.

As his student, I remembered how he would always have a TON of Coke cans and boxes lying around in his classroom. We always used to joke about how he may have secretly been mixing it with Jack Daniel's. The class was an AP history course, and his lectures always seemed very unusual. He was certainly one of my most memorable teachers, apart from a few instructors I had in college. If he really had been drinking on the job for that span of time; I'm at a loss for words as to how he managed to get away with it for so long (though he was one of those teachers that was favored by both the students and the staff). 

So I'm not certain that this was what he was doing, but it sure would've been a good explanation as to his "teaching methods".

~~

alot of people drink on the job or have a drink during lunch break. alot of district attorneys and judges have bottles of whiskey in their offices and i have worked with masons and painters that buy 12 packs of beer during the last hour or two of the job.

everyone should be allowed to drink on the job it great fun

I had a high school teacher who I always thought drank on the job. He was very...peculiar...in a good way. He was my favorite teacher, and I'm not just saying that because he was quirky, he did a fantastic job teaching history (I had him for APUSH). Maybe it's true that some people really are better when they're drunk.

Although it did cause a few problems, just ask my best friends sister. Every year during Spring Break this teacher organized an international trip open to members of the Junior and Senior classes. The trip that year was Europe (Italy, the Vatican, France, and Spain), and he allowed the group to drink. Long story short, one night he imbibed just a wee bit too much, and...well, got "grabby" with my best friend's sister at the bar.

Edited by StratoPegasus

Well... my history teacher before she retired, had been using a plastic bottle that contained dark red liquid, we could see her drinking that liquid during the breaks. It was red wine, lol! We found it funny because we pretended we don't known, when one could smell the wine and see her face getting reddish or her speech becoming... you know.. like when you drink. :lol:

But if you're doing something that could be potentially dangerous and your mind is clouded, then you can hurt yourself or another. "Fun" should not be had at the sacrifice of safety.

Anyways, I thought my teacher smoked in Grade 4 cuz we ransacked his desk and found a pack of cigarettes. It was just for Health class. Closest I've ever gotten. XD

Edited by Nicolas Cage

Honestly that's kinda sad in my eyes. It took me two years of quitting drinking before my head finally started to clear. Constant drinking can actually alter your thinking patterns and instill negative thinking patterns and behavior (such desiring to drink more). Alcohol also breaks down and destroys dna as it replicates to rebuild your body. But what do you know, the music industry makes music to tell you to drink more and tv tells you to drink more so go ahead laugh as you suffer the consequences of the very world that tells itself to do these things and we listen to it and do it. Except for those us that see how terrible it actually is.

• Brohoof 2

That is so weird. I'm taking an AP history course right now, and my history teacher is crazy, in a good way, though. He's really funny, but he gets off topic a lot (he tells hilarious stories about which the 3 AP classes tell each other, it's fun~). And he gets way into things. But no soda cans X3 Until you mentioned that he had soda cans lying around everywhere, I was actually thinking, "Oh my god what if that's my history teacher..." but a lot of other facts don't fit. So yeah.

When I worked at a warehouse, you could be fired on the spot for having any alchohol in you during work hours.

Made perfect sense, since any inebriation while operating a forklift or Truckyard Jack could kill someone far more easily than most people realize.

p1020531.jpg

They look like huge 500 horsepower surfboards. But they loose their innocence pretty quickly when you actually learn how to drive one. They weigh more than a family car even though they're not much bigger than a couch, and they can tip quite easily.

Edited by Blue
  • Brohoof 1

That's similar to something that happened when I worked for a middle school. One of the special education teachers would come into work surly, but scentless. Later in the day she smelled like liquor. The admins at the school knew about it for years but covered it up. It wasn't until a student said she was acting funny that the school cop gave her an alcohol test that she was fired. She was even cuffed and hauled out through the cafeteria in front of everyone. I was glad to see her go; she was a jerk and always made my job more difficult.

She (and probably your teacher) got away with it for so long because of tenure. The American school system is so screwed up that a tenured teacher is almost impossible to fire. The state of New York has it worse than any place else I know of. Huzzah for the Department of Education.

I also had a pretty memorable AP World History teacher.  He would often go on long tangents about things that were only slightly related to what we were talking about, and once encouraged us to bring in breakfast to eat (since it was first period).  He also drank out of a mug during pretty much every lecture, and...

Oh... oh my...

I'm kidding, of course, he never acted drunk at all.  Still, everything I mentioned above is true.

• 1 year later...

Truth be told.. I smoke pot with my boss at work.... yeah its great! We don't smoke every day or a lot but just some to help kind of chill a bit... what? farm work is really hard. 

But as for drinking on the job? once... but it didn't end well.. I got a wood stack in my leg.. it hurt.. a lot.. so we just drink after work

alot of people drink on the job or have a drink during lunch break. alot of district attorneys and judges have bottles of whiskey in their offices and i have worked with masons and painters that buy 12 packs of beer during the last hour or two of the job.

Buss drivers also?  ^_^    As long as it doesn't endanger someone I totally agree =)