Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

It's just a show, I don't need anyone to know that I watch it. If I went around telling people, they would think that I'm obnoxious. 

Edited by ~Vallo~
  • Brohoof 1

I wouldn't say that that's exactly as funny as you're making it out to be.  Some people have very legitimate reasons as to why they won't tell their parents.  For one, many of us still live with our parents, and some parents aren't so accepting of their children breaking social norms like this.  If their parents were to find out, they are afraid that it would severely strain their relationship with them.  To use myself as an example, I know for a fact that my father is homophobic.  I'm sure that you know that one of the most popular misconceptions about bronies is that we're all gay.  If my father decided to believe that, I can't see that working out for the better at all.

Yeah, i know. And im sorry if it came out the wrong way. But from that what im trying to say is, that when i told my parents they understood. After all, Its just a SHOW. Second, i dont think that is soooo bad because of watching a show, would strain our relationship with our parents. I do understand what your saying, but in a way i still dont understand why its so hard to say. its a show, and our parents will love us still no matter what.

Yeah, i know. And im sorry if it came out the wrong way. But from that what im trying to say is, that when i told my parents they understood. After all, Its just a SHOW. Second, i dont think that is soooo bad because of watching a show, would strain our relationship with our parents. I do understand what your saying, but in a way i still dont understand why its so hard to say. its a show, and our parents will love us still no matter what.

It's alright, I know that you had no malicious intent.  And yes, you are completely correct, watching a show should not strain a relationship with our parents.  However, human beings have done stranger things, and the above is certainly not out of the question, especially when some buy into the rumor that such a show has the power to determine our sexual orientation (whether or not most people who say that actually believe it or are just saying it in an attempt to piss us off, I'll probably never know.  I'll just assume that it's a combination of both).

For the record, I'm 99% sure that everything would go alright with my father.  It's the 1% chance that scares me.  It's like playing Russian Roulette with a gun that has 99 empty chambers (sorry, I'm sure that's the wrong terminology) and one live round.  There's a good chance you'll survive, but then there's still the chance that you'll splatter your brains on the ceiling.  The potential benefits of them knowing (to continue the analogy, surviving the game would win you a paper certificate) are not worth the risk.

Edited by antismurf9001
  • Brohoof 2

It's alright, I know that you had no malicious intent.  And yes, you are completely correct, watching a show should not strain a relationship with our parents.  However, human beings have done stranger things, and the above is certainly not out of the question, especially when some buy into the rumor that such a show has the power to determine our sexual orientation (whether or not most people who say that actually believe it or are just saying it in an attempt to @#!*% us off, I'll probably never know.  I'll just assume that it's a combination of both).

For the record, I'm 99% sure that everything would go alright with my father.  It's the 1% chance that scares me.  It's like playing Russian Roulette with a gun that has 99 empty chambers (sorry, I'm sure that's the wrong terminology) and one live round.  There's a good chance you'll survive, but then there's still the chance that you'll splatter your brains on the ceiling.  The potential benefits of them knowing (to continue the analogy, surviving the game would win you a paper certificate) are not worth the risk.

Yeah, definatley. yes, but when i watch the show i dont think it changed who i am sexually. (i watch normal shows for people my age and dont watch any other little girl shows)

And Are you planning on telling your father? if so, then i hope it goes okay. xx

• Brohoof 1

Well the reason I don't is because I'm worried. Worried about what my siblings will say and the fact it would be awkward to explain it. I feel the need to explain it to my parents because their teenage son watching mlp would probobbly be weird to them. I would LOVE to tell them because there would be so many advantages to it. I'm not THAT worried of what other kids would say

Yeah, definatley. yes, but when i watch the show i dont think it changed who i am sexually. (i watch normal shows for people my age and dont watch any other little girl shows)

And Are you planning on telling your father? if so, then i hope it goes okay. xx

Oh no, of course it doesn't change us sexually.  That notion is absurd and those who believe that absurdity are even more absurd.

And no, I'm not planning on letting either of my parents know.  Again, it doesn't really make sense if I can't see any sort of benefits for either myself or my family.  If they learn, either through a slip of the tongue, a misplaced MLP merch, or something else, then they learn.  Until then though, I'll keep it to myself.  Thank you though.

The reason that many bronies, including myself, choose to hide this from others is because we are afraid of social rejection. For people like me who have low self esteems, it's not as simple as ignoring harassment from those people. Also, it is not as simple as thinking on the bright side as many of you seem to believe. We tend to think negatively and that is just the way our thought process works. In an impossible way to explain or understand when people make fun of me I know that what they say shouldn't change the way I am. However, just because I realise and believe that what they say about me is not who I am, that does not mean that it doesn't still get under my skin. Even if my friends were to jokingly tease me for being a brony, and I know in my heart that they don't mean anything of it, that does not mean that in my head it does not translate into something hurtful. Confusing I know, but if you are like me then you probably understand what I am trying to communicate.

• Brohoof 1

I think it's mostly that it's still kinda difficult to explain it to most people I know.  Yeah, my mom, sister, and some of my closest friends know, but that's only because I know that they know me well enough to understand it and not think differently of me because of it (and some of my friends used to be bronies too).  However, when you don't know someone that well, or you only know them in, say, a work capacity (such as a teacher, boss, coworker, etc.) you don't tell them some of the more intimate things about yourself; ergo, I still haven't told most people I know about my love of MLP, simply because I don't know them well enough, and so it would be kinda hard and weird to explain it to them, and they might even come away with the wrong impressions about both myself and the show.  So, once again, ignorance is the biggest culprit in my hesitation to proclaim my love of ponies to the world, but hey, what can you do, that's how many human relationships work.  I love ponies, and I'm perfectly content with just myself, a handful of people I know in the real world, and just about every brony on this forum knowing it!!!  :D

I've told a few members of my family and I wear the shirts sometimes, but I don't run around advertising it. Most people--adults at least--don't really care about it either way. They have their own business to attend to. If somebody asked me "are you a brony" I would say yes, but no one ever does. :P

Edited by TailsAlone
  • Brohoof 1

Well here's the deal for me.

Becoming a brony and watching the show lead me to be a more social person. I actually have friends now  :D  I've paved my way and I have a bunch of friends, but only one friend that I know well enough to know she won't judge me. In fact I brought her to the herd.

But my other friends I don't know well enough to tell them. Well, I've told some of my gal pals, but they don't  believe in bronies :facepalm: My better friends are guys, and since they actually use their internet they probably think of cloppers first. It's frustrating, but honestly it's usually irrelevant anyway.

For the most part I don't really go out of my way to tell anyone or go out of my way to hide it either. Aside from this youtube video I made coming out as a brony mainly because I kind of felt like it for a few reasons I still don't fully understand the closest I have come to proclaiming it is wearing this Discord shirt I ordered online recently. So far I haven't really gotten any reactions at all from it although part of the reason for that is it dosen't have any of the ponies on it and Discord is not the first thing most people picture when they think of My Little Pony.

Edited by EarthbendingProdigy

One more thing I have to say. You shouldn't tell feel the need to go around telling everyone you watch mlp. However, do not tell people that it is as simple as watching any other TV show. In our minds that's how it is, but to everyone else we are deviants who break the social stigma of society. As a result most people will perceive this hobby as odd and not just another TV show that you enjoy in your free time.

Because it's just a TV show that we like and not a huge cult that we want to force upon people. We bronies see ourselves as unique and different because the show we watch is originally a little girls show, so therefore most bronies think they are inclined to spread it everywhere as they please.

This is one of the reasons that haters hate the bronies so much. Because they feel that they can spread it around everywhere as much as they want just because their fandom is based around being ''different''.