Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Why Twilicorn Works: Insight on the Supporting Side

Zennistrad

Seriously, why does everyone think that this is a bad idea? I don't understand why anyone would call this a butchering of the show, it certainly fits in with the overall direction Twilight's character development has been going in.

In the very first episode of Season 3, when Celestia was explaining to Twilight about the Crystal Empire, and how she would reach the "next level of her studies, we see this image:

img-1093459-1-eXSao.jpg

We know that it's going to happen, it's been forshadowed. And despite what you might think, it won't be the end of the series, because Season 4 has already been confirmed.

Furthermore, the writers of the show KNOW VERY WELL WHAT THEY ARE DOING AND WON'T SCREW IT UP.

Remember Princess Cadance and Shining Armor, and the backlash from their initial introduction? Twilight has a brother? There's another alicorn princess? Everyone practically screamed that FiM was RUINED FOREVER.

And do you know what really happened? An awesome season finale, arguably the two most intense and exciting episodes in the series. People loved it. And odds are, people will love the season 3 finale as well.

EDIT: Changed the thread title slightly.

Edited by Zennistrad
  • Brohoof 16

Well when you put it like that it sounds reasonable, and it is.

That's it.

Really.

I agree, as long as the writers find a convincing way I'm not against it, I think it's mostly the people who do fanon things that have those knee-jerks, but if she DOES become an alicorn, it will only strengthen my theory about alicorn powers in general, which is that it's a power, not a race, and it is given to the rulers of Equestria.

tl;dr - I don't really give a sh*SQUEE*, but you're right in essence.

Shining Armor is a different situation. That was more of just a way to enrich Twi's background and give a richer story about her life in Canterlot.

Making Twilight an Alicorn would be a FUNDAMENTAL change to her as she is now. It would completely change her relationship to the rest of the Mane 6. Alicorns have massive levels of power (both magic and royally). It would elevate Twi above the rest of the Mane 6 and destroy the "band of equals" relationship they've had that we've all come to know and love. The Mane 6 being equals is an important part of the show's dynamic.

Unless this whole time I've been viewing the show from the wrong perspective. I thought the show was Mane 6-centric, not Twi-centric. Because if it wasn't meant to be already, Twi becoming an Alicorn would unavoidable make the show totally Twi-centric.

Edited by AtomicBassCannon
  • Brohoof 12

Because to most it seems like changing something for a wrong reason. For example, the mane six had a perfect balance in characters. Two earth, unicorn, and Pegasus ponies. When you take the "Main character" and just make her a princess, It makes everpony think that Hasbro is playing "Favoritism". Making Twilight Sparkle look "Better" than the other mane six. I would honestly dislike to see Twilight Sparkle change like that, she was such a unique character on her own. Plus there would be tons of questions of logic to most who don't approve as well.

• Brohoof 5

Shining Armor is a different situation. That was more of just a way to enrich Twi's background and give a richer story about her life in Canterlot. Making Twilight an Alicorn would be a FUNDAMENTAL change to her as she is now. It would completely change her relationship to the rest of the Mane 6. Alicorns have massive levels of power (both magic and royally). It would elevate Twi above the rest of the Mane 6 and destroy the "band of equals" relationship they've had that we've all come to know and love. The Mane 6 being equals is an important part of the show's dynamic.

Um, excuse me mr. CassBanner, but since when has it been established that they are equals? It was never said in the show or even implied, and we all knew Twilight has a higher connection to Celestia, I certainly figured she's destined for greatness, and so do/did many others.

Because to most it seems like changing something for a wrong reason. For example, the mane six had a perfect balance in characters. Two earth, unicorn, and Pegasus ponies. When you take the "Main character" and just make her a princess, It makes everpony think that Hasbro is playing "Favoritism". Making Twilight Sparkle look "Better" than the other mane six. I would honestly dislike to see Twilight Sparkle change like that, she was such a unique character on her own. Plus there would be tons of questions of logic to most who don't approve as well.

You know what? I originally agreed with the idea that everyone should shut up but you actually have a good point here. It would be pretty bad for something like this to happen because, yeah you're right there is a balance between the characters.

Now, that being said if this does happen I don't expect it to be permanent. If there's something that my inner 6 year old knows about Saturday morning cartoons, its that things typically return back to normal once the episode is finished. Mlp doesn't really have that continuous of a story to begin with, so I would be very surprised if alicorn Twilight actually stays that way.

Edited by Lord Bababa
  • Brohoof 1

Making Twilight an Alicorn would be a FUNDAMENTAL change to her as she is now. It would completely change her relationship to the rest of the Mane 6. Alicorns have massive levels of power (both magic and royally). It would elevate Twi above the rest of the Mane 6 and destroy the "band of equals" relationship they've had that we've all come to know and love. The Mane 6 being equals is an important part of the show's dynamic.

And what evidence from the show do you have that supports this? Because I have plenty of show-based evidence that proves otherwise.

Insert from other topic:

First off, in the Very first Episode, (I count two-parters as one episode) After she had discovered her friends after having their help to defeat Nightmare Moon Twilight Refused to go back to Canterlot to live with you teacher, mentor, and the Ruler of the entire country to stay with her friends. The very next episode in Ticket master, Twilight willingly returned her own invitation to the Grand Galloping Gala, the most prestigious event in all of Equestria because she only had one other ticket to take one friend and she couldn't take one without feeling bad for the others. This is again, the same Twilight to put her own reputation at risk to help Princess Luna, (Which remember, is also an Alicorn,) whom at the time of Lunar Eclipsed was the most feared and Disliked Pony in Equestria, gain more positive publicity and helped her find a way to make friends. This is the same Twilight that refused to even challenge Trixie in the first season because she was afraid of losing her friends, and also the same Twilight who remained Faithful to all of her friends when every single pony, including Rainbow Dash(Element of Loyalty), Princess Celestia, and her own brother turned their backs on her at the Royal wedding because she was the only pony that saw through Chrysalis's disguise.

Finally Most recently, she gave up the one thingthat Princess Celestia specifically told her she had to do in order to protect her friends, and willingly as far as she had known at the time, failed the most important test that Princess Celestia had ever given her, because she was worried about her friends, her brother, and the entire empire. So I will state this fact again. Unless the Writers COMPLETELY rewrite Twilight's personality when they make her an Alicorn, Nothing in the show at all will change other than the fact that Twilight will have wings. The very nature of Twilight's design won't let anything else happen, and so far, in my honest opinion, season three has had the MOST accurate renditions of everypony's personality so far.

Princess Celestia has been defeated Twice in the series, Once by Nightmare Moon in the first Episode, and Once by Chrysalis in A Royal Wedding, and was completely outsmarted by Disqord, and while it can be said that Disqord is the most powerful being of magic in Celestia, it still doesn't change the point that is made that he still beat Celestia. Princess Luna as Nightmare Moon has been defeated twice, Once by Celestia before the series has taken place, and once by Twilight and her friends using the Elements of Harmony. Finally, Princess Cadence, albeit the weakest of the three, appeared to have been easily defeated by Chrysalis prior to A Royal wedding, and while she wasn't technically defeated, she did falter. Granted it was after several days of what can only be described as hell, but here's a news flash for you, Shining Armor was capable of doing the exact same thing to protect Canterlot from the Changelings, and he didn't even have to continuously support the barrier, only occasionally strengthen it.

So here's my evidence from the show as to why your statement is incorrect. I would like to see some evidence from the show to support everyone else's claims for once.

Edited by Ice Storm
  • Brohoof 5

As I have said in another thread dealing with this issue I am not completely opposed to Twilight becoming an alicorn but I am opposed to it being done too soon and without enough build up which is why I think a massive change like this should be saved for toward the end of the series.

• Brohoof 2

I'm not against the whole thing to be exact, but if the writers decide to maker her an Alicorn then so be it. I mean, they have created this world we love so much, so why not accept what choices they make? 

Edited by HallowsEve
  • Brohoof 2

And what evidence from the show do you have that supports this? Because I have plenty of show-based evidence that proves otherwise.

Insert from other topic:

So here's my evidence from the show as to why your statement is incorrect. I would like to see some evidence from the show to support everyone else's claims for once.

But that's unicorn and student Twi, not royal Alicorn Twi. Things could change (I'm being vague because I don't know what her new duties would entail, time will tell). She is going to have a new set of responsibilities and duties that are bound to separate her from her friends, whether she likes it or not. It's a similar situation to Rainbow Dash joining the Wonderbolts. Each pony's responsibilities could drive the group apart.

Even if the writers try to force the Mane 6 to stay the same in their relationship, I'm having trouble figuring it out how it can seem natural. For three seasons Twi has had the same humble life as her friends, and elevating her in this way would inevitably change the Mane 6's dynamic. The show would inevitably become Twi-centric and all the attention would go to her, or they just try to have her continue her everyday life in Ponyville as an Alicorn princess, and that would just be schmaltzy and unnatural.

Really, there's only two ways I can see this going that wont compromise the show: 1) She temporarily is an Alicorn when the power of the Elements of Harmony are united or 2) She denies the opportunity to be an Alicorn altogether.

• Brohoof 5

Alicorn have been disrespected in this show alot.

In the pilot episode Clestia and NM were beaten.

Discord made Celetstia shit her pants.

Chrysalis beated up Cadence without using Shinings love.

Cadence marrying a commoner.

Celestia shiting her pants again at Sombra

Sombra a Unicorn was forshadowed to be able to take on all of Cadence Armor and the elements of harmony if they dint have the crystal heart.

Alicorns are now just hybreds between peg and unis

Alicorn have been disrespected in this show alot. In the pilot episode Clestia and NM were beaten. Discord made Celetstia shit her pants. Chrysalis beated up Cadence without using Shinings love. Cadence marrying a commoner. Celestia shiting her pants again at Sombra Sombra a Unicorn was forshadowed to be able to take on all of Cadence Armor and the elements of harmony if they dint have the crystal heart. Alicorns are now just hybreds between peg and unis

Keep in mind that Alicorns, while powerful and immortal, are by no means gods.

The only Alicorn that could truly be considered Godlike was Nightmare Moon, and that's because she was literally being fueled by an unknown evil magic that amplified her negative emotions and magical power.

Discord wasn't just a god, he was virtually omnipotent. Only because he refused to believe that the Mane 6 would reharmonize themselves did he ever lose.

Chrysalis was likely only marginally less powerful than Celestia before she infiltrated Canterlot and consumed Shining Armor's love.

As for Sombra, the Elements of Harmony more than likely would have defeated him in the same manner as the Crystal Heart, and it's entirely possible that Celestia and Luna could have defeated him on their own, but they wanted Twilight to use the Crystal Heart instead as part of her test.

But that's unicorn and student Twi, not royal Alicorn Twi. Things could change (I'm being vague because I don't know what her new duties would entail, time will tell). She is going to have a new set of responsibilities and duties that are bound to separate her from her friends, whether she likes it or not. It's a similar situation to Rainbow Dash joining the Wonderbolts. Each pony's responsibilities could drive the group apart.

Even if the writers try to force the Mane 6 to stay the same in their relationship, I'm having trouble figuring it out how it can seem natural. For three seasons Twi has had the same humble life as her friends, and elevating her in this way would inevitably change the Mane 6's dynamic. The show would inevitably become Twi-centric and all the attention would go to her, or they just try to have her continue her everyday life in Ponyville as an Alicorn princess, and that would just be schmaltzy and unnatural.

Really, there's only two ways I can see this going that wont compromise the show: 1) She temporarily is an Alicorn when the power of the Elements of Harmony are united or 2) She denies the opportunity to be an Alicorn altogether.

If they could brush off Rainbow Dash being in an academy, then I'm sure the writers won't emphasize Twilight's "power" over the others. 

Shining Armor is a different situation. That was more of just a way to enrich Twi's background and give a richer story about her life in Canterlot.

Unless this whole time I've been viewing the show from the wrong perspective. I thought the show was Mane 6-centric, not Twi-centric. Because if it wasn't meant to be already, Twi becoming an Alicorn would unavoidable make the show totally Twi-centric.

Who says alicorns have more power? They're just unicorns with wings. Twilight is already on tier with some of the highest magic power, so there wouldn't be that much of a fundamental change.

I'm so sick of people freaking out over Alicorn Twilight.

Alicorn Twilight is nothing but speculation. Nobody knows whether or not it's true, there is no evidence that supports it. It's all just a rumor. People need to stop believing everything they read on the internet, and calm down. They're all getting worked up over nothing.

Edited by UrdiePie
  • Brohoof 4

Keep in mind that Alicorns, while powerful and immortal, are by no means gods.

The only Alicorn that could truly be considered Godlike was Nightmare Moon, and that's because she was literally being fueled by an unknown evil magic that amplified her negative emotions and magical power.

Discord wasn't just a god, he was virtually omnipotent. Only because he refused to believe that the Mane 6 would reharmonize themselves did he ever lose.

Chrysalis was likely only marginally less powerful than Celestia before she infiltrated Canterlot and consumed Shining Armor's love.

As for Sombra, the Elements of Harmony more than likely would have defeated him in the same manner as the Crystal Heart, and it's entirely possible that Celestia and Luna could have defeated him on their own, but they wanted Twilight to use the Crystal Heart instead as part of her test.

1) Iknow they arent but their stronger so far isnt even the stronger character so far.

2) NM is but all means no godlike. She lets Twi alone outsmart her. And no proof Chrysalis with shinings love or Sombra couldnt beat her.

3) I agree

4) Still a Unicorn Love being stronger than The bucking sun is stupid.

5) We dont know how strong he is. However the hype he got made him seem way above Celestia. Unless he returns We will never know his true power

(edited)

Still a Unicorn Love being stronger than The bucking sun is stupid

It wasn't. My point was that Chrysalis  was probably already absurdly powerful, she likely only needed a relatively small amount of power to become stronger than Celestia.

Not to mention that Friendship is literally the most powerful form of magic in Equestria, so it stands to reason that Love would be also hold a hell of a lot of power.

Edited by Zennistrad

Agreed.  A change in social status (and that's kind of what this is-it makes her a more unique and and important individual) always affects a friendship dynamic, whether the friends involved like it to or not.  I'm not saying that it would change *her* or make her less of a friend, but... they won't be on the same level, you know?  The life she's going to lead will be very different, and for the writers to have the friendships remain *exactly* the same is going to feel forced. 

This kind of change in your life changes the relationships you have with the people in it.

• Brohoof 2

I agree that people have been over-reacting to the whole Twilight as an Alicorn thing. For me, the main reason I'm concerned about this is fear of the unknown. I don't know what's going to happen if/when Twilight becomes an Alicorn. I just hope the show can continue to be good, but I think it can.

The common complaint I here is: "But the entire show would change!! It used to just be a sort of animated sitcom about friends, now it will have a political aspect!"

Are we watching the same show? MLP may be the most political children's show I've ever seen. The main character is the protegé of thr monarch; the Mane 6 routinely help Celestia defeat her political opponents, and many episodes include other statecraft related things (ex. Arabian ambassadors).

So no, the show won't fundamentslly change. The politics will just be a bit more pronounced.

What annoys me is that there is no reason to turn her into an alicorn. She is fine the way she is, relying on her natural born abilities. Overcoming her limits and becoming better with her own resources. All as just a really magically talented unicorn. All that is why I find her such a great protagonist. Yes, super talented. But she works with what she's got, even if it sometimes fails her. No need to turn her into a form that's almost regarded as a deity. 

• Brohoof 1

What annoys me is that there is no reason to turn her into an alicorn. She is fine the way she is, relying on her natural born abilities. Overcoming her limits and becoming better with her own resources. All as just a really magically talented unicorn. All that is why I find her such a great protagonist. Yes, super talented. But she works with what she's got, even if it sometimes fails her. No need to turn her into a form that's almost regarded as a deity.

Alicorns are far from omnipotent. Twilight won't become an Abrahimic type God, she'll just be able to fly and have increased magical capacity.

• Brohoof 1

i can name four reasons

1. if shes alicorn then shed be a princess if shes a princess she wouldnt be with her freinds in ponyville

2.shes ready magically but not mentally ready to be a princess

3. having twilight be a princess might make her look older which isnt very cool...

4. how would she get turned into a alicorn in the first place.....

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

not to mention it could be that there forshadowing somthing else.... and theres no reason for her to be one

Edited by pinkieshyrose
  • Brohoof 1

Not to mention there's a numerical balance in the Mane 6. 2 Earth/2 Unicorn/2 Pegasi. That's equality, a more symbolic show of their equality of friendship. 2 Earth/1 Unicorn/1 Alicorn/2 Pegasi throws off that balance.

Call me OCD, but I think there's symbolism there...

• Brohoof 4