Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Why does Rainbow Dash want to be in the wonderbolts if she is superior to them

TheMarkz0ne

It is a sign that she has made it. Once she becomes a Wonderbolt she won't have to prove anything to anypony or herself. She's already an incredible flier obviously, possibly better than the Wonderbolts, but having the status would make it official and force everypony to acknowledge it.

• Brohoof 2

The sonic rainboom doesn't necessarily make her a better flyer, it just means she's faster than any of them, which is only one aspect of being a good flyer. We can't even be sure about that, sense one would assume that a sonic rainboom requires a rainbow mane or something similar.

• Brohoof 3

I don't know. I still think Spitfire's better than her at flying. I think her dream of being in the Wonderbolts has died down a little bit lately, in fact.

• Brohoof 1

Assuming she really is the best ever at flying, it isn't worth anything unless she has a way for other ponies to see her in action. Sure, she could go solo, but the Wonderbolts are her heroes! Flying with her heroes must be more important to Dash than being the best. ('Dat loyalty. B) )

• Brohoof 2

I felt bad for her when she felt out of league compared to lightning dust. But I think she was just nervous. She probably just can't accept that someone might be better than her. But this is Rainbow Dash we're talking about. Of course she's better than lightning dust. Lightning Dust is just a plot device for Rainbow to overcome

To become supreme overlord of Cloudsdale, duh.

Alright, seriously, she's just doing it for the publicity recognition of being an awesome flyer.

• Brohoof 1

Well I imagine because she still have the admiration for them, plus just because she may be the fastest doesn't make her the best flier, just because shes fast doesn't mean she can do everything they can, so I'm sure theres still things she looks up to about them.

And then theres the public recognition. Instead of her just getting a bit of recognition in ponyville, as a wonderbolt she could be famous all over Equestria.

• Brohoof 1

It's to achieve her goal, she is possibly better than the Wonderbolts but you don't know yet, you haven't really seen them at their best. She's probably one of the fastest that's for sure but speed doesn't always mean the best, there's more to it other than that. Being in a team of great acrobatic fliers is better than having the title of 'that one good flier' if you know what I mean xP

• Brohoof 1

The Wonderbolts represent more of an end goal to be pursued and fought for. They are the reason she keeps flying and the motivating force that pushes her to be better that what she is. Plus she dropped out of flight school and has been called a failure for it, she wants to shut the mouths of the ponies who say that and show them how great she really is.

• Brohoof 2

Speaking of the Wonderbolts what kind of freaking test do you have to pass to join them? If the best flyer in all of Equestria can't join even though she's vastly superior to them all then what does she have to do to actually join that freaking group? That would be like being the greatest football player ever to exist and not being allowed to play professionally for no reason.

Speaking of the Wonderbolts what kind of freaking test do you have to pass to join them? If the best flyer in all of Equestria can't join even though she's vastly superior to them all then what does she have to do to actually join that freaking group? That would be like being the greatest football player ever to exist and not being allowed to play professionally for no reason.

It's not a "test" that has to be passed, it's an audition, they recruit ponies to the team. Think of the Wonderbolts as the Olympic team for a country and it will make a lot more sense as to why she is having difficulty getting in.

It's not a "test" that has to be passed, it's an audition, they recruit ponies to the team. Think of the Wonderbolts as the Olympic team for a country and it will make a lot more sense as to why she is having difficulty getting in.

Ah that makes more sense, she's not quite meeting the criteria needed to represent Equestria then in a manner of speaking. However I still think they're passing up some great talent lol.

Rainbow Dash is a fast flyer, but if she is the best flyer, I'm not too sure. With Lightning Dust, she clearly ha some trouble keeping up. I think it's more of her trying to prove she is the best, but at the same time finding that she has areas she needs to improve on. And being a member of the Wonderbolts for her is that sign that she has made it to the big leagues.

To make a small DBZ (actually dragon ball) reference

"You beat Piccolo and now you think your the best, remember there is always someone stronger".

I think this applies to Rainbow as well. Just because she pulled a sonic rainboom doesn't mean she is the best there is. Being a member of the Wonderbolts and probably being the best is her way of proving that she is the best there is. It's her inspiration and her way of proving to others that she is the best flyer out there.

Rainbow Dash is a fast flyer, but if she is the best flyer, I'm not too sure. With Lightning Dust, she clearly ha some trouble keeping up. I think it's more of her trying to prove she is the best, but at the same time finding that she has areas she needs to improve on. And being a member of the Wonderbolts for her is that sign that she has made it to the big leagues.

To make a small DBZ (actually dragon ball) reference

"You beat Piccolo and now you think your the best, remember there is always someone stronger".

I think this applies to Rainbow as well. Just because she pulled a sonic rainboom doesn't mean she is the best there is. Being a member of the Wonderbolts and probably being the best is her way of proving that she is the best there is. It's her inspiration and her way of proving to others that she is the best flyer out there.

Well she is the best flier in all of Equestria, God even said so (Assuming Celestia could possibly be an authority of this) Also she doesn't have trouble keeping up with Lightning Dust at all, she is way faster than Dust. The flag capturing scene from Wonderbolt Academy doesn't show that she can't catch up, but that Lightning Dust would randomly change direction without alerting Dash that she was doing so. Rewatch the scene and it makes sense.

• Brohoof 1

Way I see it she wants ro be part of something she see's as greater. Being called the fastest one thing but being part of the Wonderbolts would cement that fact too all of ponykind. I mean that's just how I see so bet someone has a better explanation.

You also have to realize that there's more to flying than just speed. They're an aerial acrobatics teams, which means you ahve to be able to fly in formation, stop on a dime, and do all sorts of tricks and whatnot that have nothing to do with speed.

• Brohoof 3

You also have to realize that there's more to flying than just speed. They're an aerial acrobatics teams, which means you ahve to be able to fly in formation, stop on a dime, and do all sorts of tricks and whatnot that have nothing to do with speed.

Pretty much this, also (while I doubt that it is an actual concern) The trail left by her flight is a complete contrast to that left by the Wonderbolts.

• Brohoof 1

So she'll be known to the public instead of just being "that one fast mare that lived in Ponyville" or something like that. As a Wonderbolt, everypony will know that she's super fast and talented.

That is very true, once she us in the Wonderbolts, she'll be way more famous. And I think that is her dream, for everyone to know her as THE best flyer in Equestria. She wants to be very well known, and one way time be a very well known flyer is to get into the Wonderbolts. At least that is what I think. :)

She wants to be famous, plain and simple. When your famous and well-known, everyone will know your name at all times.

A very good reason why Rainbow Dash wants to be in the Wonderbolts, to become the best flyer in all of Equestria.

I don't feel as if she is the best flyer in all of Equestria.  She just likes to think so.   B) RD is like that.  Arrogant, but with the ability to be humble at times.  The Wonderbolts are her end goal, and while she's close, she's not quite at their level just yet.  Perhaps in later episodes, we will see her reach a level of flight maturity.