Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Where do all these fanon names come from?

GuillermoGage

Lyra Heartstrings, Octavia, Berry Punch, Colgate, Cloudkicker, just to name a few.

These are ponies with very specific fanon names, similar to Derpy, specifically Depry Hooves, which is well-known to be arbitrarily named by one person on the Internet listed as "Dr. Foreigner" in October 2010 with a documented screencap.

I wonder if there is any other proof of where these non-Derpy names came from? They are not obvious puns that too many people could have come up with at the same time, like Harry Pothead or something.

Caramel is canon, and DJ Pon-3 is already the original established canon, so I didn't mention those.

Well, many of them make sense.

For instance, An "Octave" is the interval between one musical pitch and another with half or double its frequency. It involves music, so Octavia is a composer.

Cloudkicker seems pretty obvious.

Berry Punch seems obvious as well.

Colgate is a company that sells oral hygiene products.

Edited by CobaltFlytrap

Most, if not all, make sense, as said above. Lyra's cutie mark is a Lyra. Bon Bon is candy in french, etc. It's not too hard to make pony names, they were said early, and of course became common.

I think 4chan was responsible for most of them and then they catch on across the internet how there chosen however is just based on small details in the design..... that's it and the catchiest name sticks...nuff said

I know i see quite a few thread on 4chan were they try to come up with names like the most recent one for RD's dad, but i'm not sure since most of the names so far suck :/

for example RD's dad could be called Spectral Prism to reflecting on his cutiemark.

Edited by PonyEcho

Well, many of them make sense.

For instance, An "Octave" is the interval between one musical pitch and another with half or double its frequency. It involves music, so Octavia is a composer.

Cloudkicker seems pretty obvious.

Berry Punch seems obvious as well.

Colgate is a company that sells oral hygiene products.

Yeah, I know about all of those, including Octavia, but that still does not determine how those specific names got landed on.

I think 4chan was responsible for most of them and then they catch on across the internet.

I know i see quite a few thread on 4chan were they try to come up with names like the most recent one for RD's dad, but i'm not sure since most of the names so far suck :/

I personally think Spectral Prism would be a nice name reflecting on hie cutiemark

I have an idea, how about we don't let any one place arbitrarily decide these things for us? After all,  we would still like the weird reoccuring gray pegasus mare with the yellow mane  even if she wasn't named Derpy with a last name "Hooves" (It doesn't make any sense, the eyes are derpy, not the hooves)

This reminds me of when that Toon Link "anticipation guy" was arbitrarily named "fsjal" in a "69th or whatever number post names this" which could have easily caused it to be named "poop" or some common word.

4chan is interestingly enough like Facebook. An excessively simplistic website founded in (EDIT quite a few hours later to show 2003)2003/early 2004 by some random young guy inspired by much more pioneering websites, which then became the arbitrary website that everybody has to use because nobody uses anything else.

Michael Cera could portray Christopher "moot" Poole in The Lulz Network. He can still pass for a fifteen-year-old.

Also, Know Your Meme is a crap website. They think "lab coats are inherently science!".

Also, Bon Bon is the name of a real original generation My Little Pony character, so it was more of a confusion, and justifiable fanon.

Edited by GuillermoGage

I don't know many of them, but there are a few that I do know:

1. Octavia: A user on Blogspot analyzed the background character and named her according to the music, cutie mark, and gender. Here's the post.
  2. Steven Magnet: Blame that on YouTube's transcribing audio feature. Someone turned on the closed captions, and Rarity said, "Your fabulous manicure!" to the sea serpent. Somehow, YouTube's glitchy Transcribe Audio translated that to Steven Magnet instead.
  3. Vinyl Scratch: This name and DJ P0N-3 originated somewhere in 4chan, but the official spotting is unknown.
Edited by Dark Qiviut

Lyra Heartstrings, Octavia, Berry Punch, Colgate, Cloudkicker, just to name a few.

These are ponies with very specific fanon names, similar to Derpy, specifically Depry Hooves, which is well-known to be arbitrarily named by one person on the Internet listed as "Dr. Foreigner" in October 2010 with a documented screencap.

I wonder if there is any other proof of where these non-Derpy names came from? They are not obvious puns that too many people could have come up with at the same time, like Harry Pothead or something.

Caramel is canon, and DJ Pon-3 is already the original established canon, so I didn't mention those.

Octavia is canon just as DJ PON-3

Colgate, her hair looks like toothpaste

Lyra, well her cutiemark is a Lyre, and Heartstrings is her canon name

Berry Punch, he cutiemark is Berries, and she was seen drinking out of a punch bowl :V

Cloudkicker, I hardly see her name being used, but she's just there to kick clouds :V

I don't know many of them, but there are a few that I do know:

1. Octavia: A user on Blogspot analyzed the background character and named her according to the music, cutie mark, and gender. Here's the post.
  2. Steven Magnet: Blame that on YouTube's transcribing audio feature. Someone turned on the closed captions, and Rarity said, "Your fabulous manicure!" to the sea serpent. Somehow, YouTube's glitchy Transcribe Audio translated that to Steven Magnet instead.
  3. Vinyl Scratch: This name and DJ P0N-3 originated somewhere in 4chan, but the official spotting is unknown.

There we go, I had a feeling that there would be documentation of some musically-inclined geek coming up with the name "Octavia" first

Octavia is canon just as DJ PON-3

Colgate, her hair looks like toothpaste

Lyra, well her cutiemark is a Lyre, and Heartstrings is her canon name

Berry Punch, he cutiemark is Berries, and she was seen drinking out of a punch bowl :V

Cloudkicker, I hardly see her name being used, but she's just there to kick clouds :V

Yeah...Heartstrings is canon, I forgot to mention that, but I do remember now,  and Lyra is obvious.

Yep indeed whatever thing that is a thing.

A lot of the time bronies will come up with all kinds of names for new background ponies and one of them will just stick and then its used everywhere.

They come from many creative minds of bronies who think the BG characters need them.

Most of these names are very creative and nice. They fit perfectly with he show.

I may not have actual facts to quote, but I am reasonably certain that all the fanon names came from the imaginations of people who like the show!

Yes, I know that, my point is that I was curious about if there are any saved links of any one person coming up with a name first, of which I now know are two, Derpy Hooves and Octavia.

It is kind of annoying when people reiterate the same obvious thing on a post and I learn nothing new. It makes me grumpy and... did you read the other posts? It is only 13 replies so far, few enough to read in one sitting.

Yes, I know that, my point is that I was curious about if there are any saved links of any one person coming up with a name first, of which I now know are two, Derpy Hooves and Octavia.

It is kind of annoying when people reiterate the same obvious thing on a post and I learn nothing new. It makes me grumpy and... did you read the other posts? It is only 13 replies so far, few enough to read in one sitting.

How in the world would anyone be able to track down who named each background character? A couple are known, but that's about it. In all honesty, how is it even something to worry about?

How in the world would anyone be able to track down who named each background character? A couple are known, but that's about it. In all honesty, how is it even something to worry about?

answer to first question:

I guess some things aren't going to be that way, but at least I confirmed that yes, one specific person came up with Octavia, and that person seemed a cool enough guy to justify imposing his fanon on us all. Because it is a cool name.

answer to second question:

Because I want confirmation that those typical meme-ish websites don't arbitrarily decide everything for us and that the English-speaking Internet is a legitimately diverse organic web of minds. Curiosity.

answer to first question:

I guess some things aren't going to be that way, but at least I confirmed that yes, one specific person came up with Octavia, and that person seemed a cool enough guy to justify imposing his fanon on us all. Because it is a cool name.

answer to second question:

Because I want confirmation that those typical meme-ish websites don't arbitrarily decide everything for us and that the English-speaking Internet is a legitimately diverse organic web of minds. Curiosity.

I don't understand why you chose to put a line through your answer to the second question. Was that some kind of nasty dig at me? Aside from that, I still don't see what the big deal is. You want the names to come from websites you like, instead of ones you don't? How does it even matter? Someone made up a name, and enough people liked it to make it stick. It's that simple.

I don't understand why you chose to put a line through your answer to the second question. Was that some kind of nasty dig at me? Aside from that, I still don't see what the big deal is. You want the names to come from websites you like, instead of ones you don't? How does it even matter? Someone made up a name, and enough people liked it to make it stick. It's that simple.

Huh? Nasty dig at you? I don't think so. Putting a line through something, and then adding a short, simple answer without a line through it is a funny little form of expression that gets used.

These things do come from a variety of places. I just want that to be acknowledged. I just wanted to see if there were any other examples of where some of the first/earliest sightings of these things are. And I got one solid example already.

Well I hadn't gotten into the fandom till a bit later. I would assume though in some cases it's just fans would say " Hey you know the pony with this or that" and the other would say " Oh you mean ___? "  until the names were established through the fandom.

However I"ve wonder that as well.

When you click characters here you can sometimes find out why they have their name

http://mlp.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_ponies

My avatar's picture is of Royal Ribbon , which is based on an older gen pony had similar body/hair combo

Well from what I can tell it basically just goes like.

New charactor is recognized by the fans.

The fans start brainstorming names. Eventually people start to gravitate towards a certain name, and then eventually everyone uses it and it becomes basically their official name.

They all make sense I think. Plus I think that Lyra's name, Derpy's name, and DJ Pon3 are all cannon names, I'm pretty sure hasbro sold toys with their names listed or something.

The others have come from someone who just started calling them that and soon it caught on. Its kinda like Nicknames you give to people, or people give to you. Someone starts calling you X name, then someone else thinks its a good idea, and before you know it its practically your second identity.

I think theres actually still some of the background ponies who's names haven't been 100% agreeded on yet, but I'm not sure who and which ones. However there have been alot that have been named.

Anyways, they come from people who think of them and others think its a good idea, it isn't like imposed on people, its just they think "Thats a cool name!" And eventually everyone starts calling them that.

I know that reddit discusses names for any unnamed pony that appears on the show no mater for how long so a lot of names come from there but some names come from other popular sources such as /mlp/ and they just become accepted as that specific pony's name, you can pick any name unless it's canon as your headcanon but it might not be accepted as other peoples headcanons.