Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

movies/tv Any DBZ fans here?

Bardock

The Dragon Ball series is my favorite series of all time. I was wondering how many other DB/Z fans are on this website. You can talk about what you love about the series, the upcoming movie, anything!

• Brohoof 2

The Dragon Ball series is my favorite series of all time. I was wondering how many other DB/Z fans are on this website. You can talk about what you love about the series, the upcoming movie, anything!

Hardly my favorite series by any means whatsoever, but it is still a great show! I stopped watching/keeping up with it at Omega Shenron though, the "power level" and threat that the enemies posed got to absurd for me

It was one of the first animes I got into, it is a true classic that had a near perfect mix of action, humor, plot and character development. It knew to not always take itself too seriously but knew when it was appropriate to do just that. I am really looking forward to Dragon Ball Online it has been a while since a really great game has come out especially one that contains so many what if scenarios and alternate timelines.

• Brohoof 1

DBZ was my first anime, and I love it even today. It has it's flaws, but regardless I think it is a great anime. It's not my favorite anime, but I still think it's incredible and deserves a lot of recognition amongst anime fans.

My favorite character is Gohan, but I liked him best when he was fighting Cell at the Cell games.

• Brohoof 1

Hardly my favorite series by any means whatsoever, but it is still a great show! I stopped watching/keeping up with it at Omega Shenron though, the "power level" and threat that the enemies posed got to absurd for me

That's Dragon Ball GT you're talking about, which I should tell you, just in case you ddn't know, isn't canon to the DB universe. It's also not all that well recieved by Dragon Ball fans generally.

It was great but people should just let it die off already lolz, all the new movies are just quick cash ins and the story kinda sucks.

You may be right. It might be better for the Dragon Ball series to die off and take a well-deserved rest.

But you see, the Dragon Ball series is a legend.

And legends never die.

• Brohoof 2

Nappa: Circadian, what does the scouter say about the DBZ fan level on this forum?

Circadian: It says I know nothing about DBZ except for this meme. :D

Edited by Circadian

That's Dragon Ball GT you're talking about, which I should tell you, just in case you ddn't know, isn't canon to the DB universe. It's also not all that well recieved by Dragon Ball fans generally.

You may be right. It might be better for the Dragon Ball series to die off and take a well-deserved rest.

But you see, the Dragon Ball series is a legend.

And legends never die.

if gt was canon it would be between DBZ and DB because if you look closely he dont really use SS3 or 4 when matters are pressing for SS1 or SS2 so he would get them but lose them when he grow adult maybe or other way around something like that atleast.

Nappa: Circadian, what does the scouter say about the DBZ fan level on this forum?

Circadian: It says I know nothing about DBZ except for this meme. :D

Nappa: Vegeta, what does the scouter say about his power level?

Vegeta: ITSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS OVER 8000!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! anyways this is the original and gokus true power level is 35000000 in ss4 :) Omega is 250000000 lol

I always loved DBZ, but I stopped paying attention to it when I kept seeing fans fighting over which version was better.

That said, I still really enjoy it and patiently wait for the new movie

Ahhh... DBZ. That takes me back many many years. I remember watching the series on Toonami Cartoon Network when I was 7 years old. This show, along with Pokemon were the only things I remember watching during my elementary school years. Looking back at the series now, it does have its flaws (pacing issues, and way too many filler episodes) but it was the first Anime to gain mass popularity in the US and all over the world. Without DBZ, anime wouldn't be where it is today so we have Goku and the rest of the gang to thank.

I am still a huge fan of DBZ today. I play the video games (DBZ Budokai 3 best game BTW  :wub:) and am looking forward to both the new movie, Battle of the Gods, and the continuation of the Buu saga for DBZ Kai. 

I've come to realize and accept that I am a bigger fan of the franchise than is probably healthy.  I deleted the Dragon Ball Wiki from my bookmarks when it started to become apparent that there was very little information on it that I didn't already have committed to memory.  And, thanks to Kanzenshuu, I'm gradually becoming able to point out which episodes were animated under which supervisors just by looking at them (I've always noticed the most drastic art jumps but never had names to put to them until recently*).

Dragon Ball is probably the largest contributor to the fact that I'm an artist and animator today.  It was about the only piece of animation that I never stopped liking once I became a fan of it; pretty well all other cartoons I was into I either stopped liking altogether, or went through a phase where I didn't like them only to come back to enjoying them.

*Uchiyama, stop, please.

Edited by ErBoi
  • Brohoof 2

I absolutely love Dragonball and Dragonball Z. It is my favorite anime series of all time, and son Goku is one of my favorite fictional characters of all time. 

It's great to see more fans around the forums.

Goku vs Frieza is still one of my all time favorite fights in all of fiction. It is the longest, and in my opinion greatest battle in anime history.

109752-dragonball-z-goku-vs-frieza.jpg

Also, can't wait for Battle of the Gods! ^.^

It was great but people should just let it die off already lolz, all the new movies are just quick cash ins and the story kinda sucks.

Blasphemy I say!

img-1167445-1-tumblr_lm2wv1mFGr1qfc9t2.g

That's because Omega Shenron was in Dragonball GT. GT sucks balls.

How dare you bring up GT in this thread. I thought more highly of you Sturdy :P

Edited by ~Lawful Jordo~

I...kind of...like GT.  Kind of.

Definitely not as much as its two predecessors but there are a few things about it I appreciate.  It finally gave a much-needed drawback to using the Dragon Balls, it actually had a damned good ending in my opinion, and given that it wasn't an adapted manga, you don't have to wade through enormous amounts of filler to get to anything important.

Of course Dragon Ball Kai is helping with that last bit but I would have loved it if Kai would have started right from the beginning of Dragon Ball instead of just Z.

I...kind of...like GT.  Kind of.

Definitely not as much as its two predecessors but there are a few things about it I appreciate.  It finally gave a much-needed drawback to using the Dragon Balls, it actually had a damned good ending in my opinion, and given that it wasn't an adapted manga, you don't have to wade through enormous amounts of filler to get to anything important.

Of course Dragon Ball Kai is helping with that last bit but I would have loved it if Kai would have started right from the beginning of Dragon Ball instead of just Z.

I can respect that I guess. I don't know, I just hated the fact that they turned Goku into a kid again.

On top of that, I found SSJ4 lacking (Many disagree with me, it's just my opinion), and the overall series to be sub par when compared to the original series or Dragonball Z. 

I will level with you though, the Dragon fist is still my favorite attack (I know it was introduced in Wrath of the Dragon, but I appreciate that they used it again in GT)

I did enjoy the baby saga however, though I don't think it redeems the series as a whole. 

Edited by ~Lawful Jordo~

I enjoy it quite a bit. I started off with DBZ and viewed Dragon Ball afterward. I have come to love Dragon Ball more. It just feels more focused to me. Also does anyone else feel that the two series(DB and DBZ) conflict a bit thematically? Dragon Ball feels far for fantasy based, involving more magical elements, which makes sense as it was based of Journey to the West. Dragon Ball Z felt far more sci fi oriented. Its not a bad thing just felt a bit weird re-watching it. 

Also just a fun continuity hiccup. In Dragon Ball Goku uses his power pole to strand an Bunny dude on the moon, showing he can some how survive in vacuum. However in DBZ it becomes a main plot element that Goku can not survive in vacuum. Just a fun thing I noticed.

I enjoy it quite a bit. I started off with DBZ and viewed Dragon Ball afterward. I have come to love Dragon Ball more. It just feels more focused to me. Also does anyone else feel that the two series(DB and DBZ) conflict a bit thematically? Dragon Ball feels far for fantasy based, involving more magical elements, which makes sense as it was based of Journey to the West. Dragon Ball Z felt far more sci fi oriented. Its not a bad thing just felt a bit weird re-watching it. 

Also just a fun continuity hiccup. In Dragon Ball Goku uses his power pole to strand an Bunny dude on the moon, showing he can some how survive in vacuum. However in DBZ it becomes a main plot element that Goku can not survive in vacuum. Just a fun thing I noticed.

Dragon ball was an action/adventure series originally aimed at a younger audience. It was lighthearted and fun, but it could still take itself seriously when it had to. 

Dragonball Z was going for more of a straight up action series. It shot for a bit of an older audience. It took itself a bit more seriously, but it could still have fun. It did have more of a sci-fi feel over Dragonball.

They are both fantastic series in my opinion. I like them both for their own reasons. 

Ahhh... DBZ. That takes me back many many years. I remember watching the series on Toonami Cartoon Network when I was 7 years old. This show, along with Pokemon were the only things I remember watching during my elementary school years. Looking back at the series now, it does have its flaws (pacing issues, and way too many filler episodes) but it was the first Anime to gain mass popularity in the US and all over the world. Without DBZ, anime wouldn't be where it is today so we have Goku and the rest of the gang to thank.

I am still a huge fan of DBZ today. I play the video games (DBZ Budokai 3 best game BTW  :wub:) and am looking forward to both the new movie, Battle of the Gods, and the continuation of the Buu saga for DBZ Kai. 

DRAGON BALL Z: BUDOKAI TENKAICHI 3!!! lol i luv the games too... Except the DS attack of the saiyans, it just dont fit as an RPG style game its more like a fighting game or its not a true Dragon Ball Z game.

Dragon ball was an action/adventure series originally aimed at a younger audience. It was lighthearted and fun, but it could still take itself seriously when it had to. 

Dragonball Z was going for more of a straight up action series. It shot for a bit of an older audience. It took itself a bit more seriously, but it could still have fun. It did have more of a sci-fi feel over Dragonball.

They are both fantastic series in my opinion. I like them both for their own reasons. 

Yeah I can defiantly see that now. Its hard to pinpoint why I enjoy Dragon Ball more.  I want to its because it was more character focused, but I dont think DBZ was really lacking in that department. Its hard to say. Maybe it the feel of the show. 

I'm not a huge fan of DBZ, but I like it in general.  It has a lot of hard hitting fights and people can die.  But most of those who die come back so they couldn't have been "totally" dead (Princess Bride reference).  While changes had to be made for a young North American audience, I am SO GLAD this anime wasn't emasculated by 4Kids. 

Two scenes stand out in my mind:  "It's over 9,000!" and Goku getting punched in the groin.  Considering how studios err on the side of caution when adapting violent or questionable scenes, I was really surprised they left that in there!

I'm not a huge fan of DBZ, but I like it in general.  It has a lot of hard hitting fights and people can die.  But most of those who die come back so they couldn't have been "totally" dead (Princess Bride reference).  While changes had to be made for a young North American audience, I am SO GLAD this anime wasn't emasculated by 4Kids. 

Two scenes stand out in my mind:  "It's over 9,000!" and Goku getting punched in the groin.  Considering how studios err on the side of caution when adapting violent or questionable scenes, I was really surprised they left that in there!

Well, Dragon Ball Z Kai airs on 4Kids, but it still uses the Funimation voice actors. It's censored like crazy though, even more than the Nicktoons version.

I know what you mean. When I re-watched them, it felt like they weren't even the same franchise at times.

And yeah, I've noticed that power pole hiccup. It's probably because Toriyama originally meant for DB to be nothing more than a Journey to the West parody, and didn't plan on continuing it after Goku had found all of the Dragon Balls for the first time.

Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z were my favorite shows when I was a kid! I was sort of disappointed in Dragon Ball GT though, it's basically saying if you're not Goku then you suck :/

I'm pretty excited for the DBZ movie! I'm glad it's not DBGT, I probably wouldn't of watched it unless it had good reviews.

• Brohoof 1