155 users have voted

1. 1. Did you like it?

• No, I hated it >:(
    • I didn't like it.
    • Meh. It was ok.
    • I liked it!
    • I LOVED IT! <3

I don’t know if someone has posted this or not but is there
anyone else who thinks this alicorn transformation is going to be temporary.
Only a theory but since twilight’s transformation was unprecedented isn’t it
possible that the transformation is temporary and as she uses her powers her
alicorn “state” will deteriorate. I know I am kind of reaching just something
to think about.

Also I felt that the whole episode felt rushed. This
statement can be extended to the whole season in general. Many different plot
advances happened in season three. I think that after Faust left the writers
switched gears in a sense to drive to a more overarching plot rather than an
episodic one. For me season three is simply a segue between season 2 and 4. I
am personally excited about twilights transformation as it steers the show in a
new direction full of possibilities. I also don’t believe that it makes her a Mary
Sue type character. I believe that it opens even more possibilities for failure
in her life as her responsibilities have multiplied exponentially.

Anyone notice Derpy hidden throughout the episode? There are.. 3 spots I believe, all are during songs. 1 is near the beginning and Derpy is walking along a bridge, later right before Twilight sees Rarity with the weather, Derpy flies out from behind Town Hall, and then the other time is.. I forget where, but Derpy's head is somewhere in the crowds feet.

I might as well ask but did anypony else noticed that Applejack was making dresses with Rarity's Cutie Mark rather than hanging out with the Diamond Dogs in the mines?  I mean, wasn't Rarity's Cutie Mark Power Word: Fortitude something of a miner or prospector?

Edited by Prismatic

I'm rather torn on this episode, but my overall mood is shifting towards the negative side.

First, the positive. I loved the first arc with the cutie marks being switched, I wish that could have been given it's own episode since that could have been one of my favourites. Instead, it was squeezed in and resolved far too quickly.

As for the second arc with Twilight's ascension...it was even more rushed and lots went unexplained. My feelings summed up are basically: Twilight became an alicorn and a princess 'just because'. I feel like I know anymore about the whole process than I did before watching the episode. Yes, we will probably get an explanation later, but it doesn't make the lack of explanation in this one episode any better.

Before anyone comes to declare bias, I'm mostly neutral on Twilight becoming an alicorn. No matter how much you may enjoy this episode, the pacing was horrible. No blame on the writers of course, they did what they could. This episode could have been so much better as a three parter. I really wanted to enjoy this, I really did, but there wasn't much for me to go off. There was potential, but not enough time to express it.

I'm sorry, but I really beg to differ. The pacing wasn't really that bad. Rushed, perhaps, but not necessarily in a bad way, in my opinion. Besides, I really don't care about the negative things you guys throw in about this episode, no offense, for as of right now, I just wish we could start throwing more positive things about this episode.

I was perfectly fine with Twi becoming a princess, but why did she need to become an Alicorn to be a princess?

What kind of racist shit is that?

I guess it does teach young girls an important lesson: You can be anything you want as long as you suck up to powerful white people. 

No offense, but do you have any idea how ridiculous that all sounds? Twi's brother Shining Armor is a unicorn and he married Princess Cadence, so technically, that makes him a Prince. Plus, as is evidenced in "Hearth's Warming Eve", there have been Princesses who are unicorns.

• Brohoof 1

1. Ah I see where your coming from I think. I dont think they know pinkie is not meant for the job because their places in the world were switched. This was indicated by the fact that Rarity said Rainbow dash's cottage. It they not just that they thought they were meant to do those jobs(though they did believe it)It that they were forcibly thrown into each others places. So the situation is less like they each just thought they were meant to do something and walked to the house they thought was theirs. It more like a magical swap as far as they or anyone else was concerned they had always been doing this. However we reach the problem of pacing again. See no pony in ponyville ever seem to recognize them being were their not supposed to be, but that they are terrible at what they do. However they never say directly that they do or don't. However I think its indicated heavily that they switched places in the world at large in this way as they dont just believe they are meant to do that job but that they have lived in the respective homes of the other ponies as well. Also by the way the animals reacted. Youd think if they recognized Fluttershy they would instantly react, but it takes a bit and they warm up to her. Looking at the mouse with the fork in particular seems to indicate this as he looks at Fluttershy with a cocked eye brow slowly easing in to listen to her. Also looking at Pinkie's re-harmonization she gets in front of the crowd of ponies as her hair poofs up again their faces light up and they shout Pinkies name in excited recognition.

Maybe....but if everypony in town forgot which pony belongs where, than that destroys my theory of the townsfolk being miserable because they missed Pinkie, they were instead miserable because they weren't being amused anymore, which is stupid, I don't buy that they're all miserable simply because of that, or even a large amount of them, unless one wants to argue that the elements being messed up screwed up harmony in ponyville, making folks miserable, I don't know if that could be true. Actually, the theory of everpony not remembering where each pony belong has to be true, or else it makes no sense that AJ's family wouldn't have went to find out where she was and bring her back, unless you want to argue that that's what they were doing while Pinkie was all along at the farm. Then again, your theory of everpony having amnesia is supported by the fact that Fluttershy's animals didn't recognize her at first.

2.)To address the artistic exageration I think there is almost certainly some going on. Again I point to the decay of the trees, not only on the farm but outside of the carousel boutique. Then their return to normal. During "A True True friend" when arriving to the Apple farm we see the trees are dead and decrepid and pinkie is working alone. In one transition we see the trees are restored and only then do we see the apple family working in harmony representing a return to harmony to the farm. As I said before the Apple family in and of itself is a representation of harmony. Another example of visual exaggeration or symbolism is in What my cutie mark is telling me. We see the cutie marks appear on screen next to each other on top of a primary color of the ponie it belongs to. This immediately sets of the recognition of the normal status. Then as they each say that's what my cutie mark  they appear over the mark they've switched with beside the mark that belongs to them. This is exagetated visualization used to show the confusion of the characters.  

edit: also keep in mind that this is a musical. Musicals often use symbolic/ exagerated imagery. Granted not all of them do but many animated ones tend to, MLP has in the past. Giigle at the ghostie being an example, Smile song, Grand Galloping Galla(ticket master), Evil Enchantress, Hush now quite now(sweetie belle), Becoming Popular, Perfect Stallion,and BBFF. A great example in animated media is Hellfire from Disneys Hunchback of Notradame. Bearing this in mind it seems you may have gone into the episode with the same mindset you would a normal episode. Whilst its perfectly ok to do this I think it rises the chances of missing info a lot as musicals convey info in a different way.

I still really don't think that that's what they were doing here.

3.) You cant fathom, but you are very close. She realizes the solution looking at a picture of them all together. At that point knowing the most important thing is friendship and its harmony. As you know the elements are connected to the ponies and their talents each of which represent an element and are activated by the harmony of friendship. As Twilight saw in Return of Harmony the connection can be severed when the ponies are forcibly changed. This was done by turning them against their element which is as indicated tied to their talent shown by discord appearing to the ponies as their cutie marks and the shape of the element. When turned against their element they would be unable to perform their talent and unable to use the element. Its a connection that's been severed and needs to be reestablished. In that case(return of harmony) Twilight reminded them of who they were as she had been reminded. In this case she knew she couldn't remind them of who they were but she could show them through friendship what they meant to each other. Knowing the elements were switched she and her friends had show each pony what they were meant for which is connected to their proper element which in turn is tied and activated by the bond of friendship they share. She knew this so by having each pony perform what they were meant for whilst wearing the proper element guided by friendship reactivated the connection. Again a connection Twilight herself realized in the first episode. A connection she had already had to reestablish once before. 

Return of harmony is an important part of this as it is mentioned twice and shown once.

I'm still struggling to wrap my head around it, but I just thought of something else. Luna was fixed by the elements, perhaps Twilight thought the elements would help fix her friends like they fixed Luna?

edit: I have come to realize an new plot hole through. Why does spike remember the mane six? I thought that continuity in the episode Cutie Mark Chronicles provided an answer. However it only led to a more troubling plot in that episode. Though I dont think either ruin either of the episodes as they are a small part of the episode when all is considered. 

Though I just came to the realization that Spike may be playing the part of Wybie in this episode. Let me explain. In the movie Coraline day Coraline just kinda talked to herself, the large reason Wybie was created was so Coraline didn't look like a lunatic.Spike is really only here so Twilight has some one to talk to. It may also play into the harmony theme as it would seem off to have a main character missing with such a strong underlying theme of unity. I dont know thats just something off topic and interesting, at least I thought it was.

Or maybe because he's a dragon........I don't know, that's stretching it. Also, Kyronea brings up another hole: why did the weather team let Rarity ruin the weather? Ugg, thought I had it figured out, than more holes became visible.

Edited by Mr. Jaguar

AAGH!!! I don't have the Hub on TV so had to wait until they uploaded it on Youtube!! But I finally managed to watch it!!! I must say I nearly fell off my chair when Twilight became an alicorn!! Here I was, thinking YES!! She completed the spell, now she can be congratulated and all will be right with the world... but then BAM! It came! I loved the song they sang while their destinies where reshapen to what it should be, I sang the whole day, and quoted Twilight's words: " From one to another, another to one, a mark of one's destiny is singled out, alone fulfilled" I can't wait until season 4!!! hehe :lol:

Edited by Silverstar

No offense, but do you have any idea how ridiculous that all sounds? Twi's brother Shining Armor is a unicorn and he married Princess Cadence, so technically, that makes him a Prince. Plus, as is evidenced in "Hearth's Warming Eve", there have been Princesses who are unicorns.

That is kinda exactly my point. She didn't need to become an Alicorn to be a princess. She didn't need to undergo a magical transformation which defies all the previous canon and invents a new form of magic. It was horrible writing! She could have just solved a large problem no one else can solve (as usual) and as a reward be made a princess without needing to become an alicorn. 

the moral of the story went from: "Work hard, care about people, be helpful and you will make life better fore veryone." to "Work hard, care about people, be helpful, and some rich, powerful person will save you from your dreadful, dull, life and let you into the exclusive club that your normal friends can't be part of."  

Also pointing out the fact that Twi's brother who, is a white unicorn, marrying a Alicorn let him into the prince club with Prince Blue blood, the white unicorn, isn't really helping your defense that this whole thing isn't hilariously racists. 

Edited by Plowplot
  • Brohoof 1

That is kinda exactly my point. She didn't need to become an Alicorn to be a princess. She didn't need to undergo a magical transformation which defies all the previous canon and invents a new form of magic. It was horrible writing! She could have just solved a large problem no one else can solve (as usual) and as a reward be made a princess without needing to become an alicorn. 

the moral of the story went from: "Work hard, care about people, be helpful and you will make life better fore veryone." to "Work hard, care about people, be helpful, and some rich, powerful person will save you from your dreadful, dull, life and let you into the exclusive club that your normal friends can't be part of."  

I think you're just overanalyzing there. I personally believe that it was merely a choice made by Twilight and/or Celestia which I feel isn't really racist at all. Plus, it isn't really horrible writing at all, being that Twilight's status as an alicorn won't make any of her friends jealous. Ever think of that?

I think you're just overanalyzing there.

Yes, I know, I'm just pointing out the hilariously racist things about the show. I'm sure they never intended for it to work out this way on purpose but it is ironic, don't you think? 

My_Little_Racist.jpg

Edited by Plowplot

I feel that at large a big part of the more obsessive fans in the fandom took this way too far (IE: it's literally their doomsday apocalypse) and to an extent I get that: Twilight becoming a princess means basically the entire premise of the show has come to an end and with her supposedly being immortal (which has yet to be confirmed or denied anyways) we get all obsessive in our head-canon about her outliving her friends.

So I took some time to adjust but I actually went into the season finale with a positive outlook and I wrote a piece roughly a few hours after viewing the finale. Here's what I had to say:

"You know the most common complaint I saw about today's episode was that it was 'rushed'?

I agree to an extent but perhaps just the last few minutes. I feel this could have been extended to 2 episodes.

Other than containing a buttload of musical numbers than any previous episode (What, was it 7 songs in 22 minutes? Geebus.) I don't think anybody that paid attention and prepared for it didn't see that big end coming.

But now I wonder about what will be happening on Season 4 and the coming-to-home-video-G4-MLP-Movie. Twilight's main mission is done: what else is there to do from here on out?

Did anybody here seriously feel that Twilight becoming a princess was unwarranted NOW that we have the reason behind it? Twilight outsmarts and figures out the one thing that has never been completed by THE one unicorn responsible for most, if not ALL of important magic for unicorns since thousands of years ago prior to the beginning of the G4 universe: I'd say that works as a worthy reason to say her 'training' is complete.

But now it seems that the rest of the series may revolve around Twilight learning/still becoming a leader. We've been shown that just because Cadence is around and is leading the nation of the Crystal Empire that she's still relevant and isn't perfect: look how much help she's still needed. Then there's the fact that Twilight's mentality is still that of a cute librarian girl that's just NOW growing up into a new role: she's probably going to get some things wrong or..whatever.

My only concern? The importance and focus of the remaining 5 but the way how this finale showed the 6 ponies together it appears they will still all be together. Maybe Twilight will rule over Ponyville or something.

Have to say though it was a bit...off seeing everyone bow down to her though: going to have to personally get used to that I suppose.

I expected myself to be a lot angrier about it though, but then I just sorta equated the ending scene in the episode with the same bittersweet nature of say......an anime like Gurren Lagann or DBZ. While not nearly the same type of adventures, it still had an air of "This chapter of the story is closed but there can now be more stories".

It still had that air of growing up, and in the end we all need to accept certain things in our lives too."

• Brohoof 1

-snip-

I must say that was very well thought out, any chance you would be willing to help expand the episode to handle the issues you found with it? I have recently started a group on Deviantart and I feel someone like you could help towards making it grow. You see the group is called MLPMakeItWork and it's purpose is to, well, make the canon of the MLP:FiM series work. To expand and explain, without changing canon, an episode so as to make it stronger. Edited by EquestrianScholar

I was pretty excited to watch this eposode as it is the last of this season but as my crappy laptop broke i had to watch it on youtube on my xbox so i had to wait another 2Days but by then i already knew the Twilite becomes a alicorn from fourm and other sources. When i watched it i didlike it but to be honest i didnt this it was great. The show was more singing than the other shows but i thouht that this eposode was a bit empty. The change that twilite becomes a alicorn, I dont like so much but somtime change can be good but i strugle to think how the pruducers will make a 2-part eposode for season 4 1&2. But still i wont stop watching it. Also does anyone know when season 4 comes out?

Whats your opinion?

Edited by ollie6125
  • Brohoof 1

Pros:

1. Twilight became an Alicorn, so now all the threads asking if it will really happen and saying it won't happen have stopped

2. It had some great songs

Cons:

1. IT WASN'T A 2-PARTER!!!

2. The problem was resolved too damn quickly

• Brohoof 1

Pros:

I like the idea of a musical episode and everypony got to contribute at least one excellent chunk of a song. Even Celestia :).

Cutie mark switch was entertaining.

Great moments from each of the Mane Six and also Spike

Really heartwarming and cool visually at times.

Could also be very funny :)

Cons:

Not the biggest fan of Alicorn Twilight.

Some gaps in logic, like why the weather team didn't stop Rarity or why Big Mac or Apple Bloom didn't do anything about Pinkie Pie.

Kind of kills the idea of a body swap episode by using it as a sort of subplot here, and I think it could make for an entertaining or even deep and complex full episode, and now I doubt we'll get that.

Ending wasn't particularly satisfactory to me.

• Brohoof 3

Pros:

1. I guess there is still a chance to fix this mess in season 4

Cons:

1. Too many songs and not enough dialogue

2. Extremely rushed

3. Alicorn Twilight only appeared at the end of the episode making the most hyped event in MLP history feel like a mere afterthought

4. Cutie mark switching idea was resolved a bit too quickly and was poorly implemented

• Brohoof 3

Pros:

Pretty entertaining episode

Cutie swap was pretty creative

The singing was top notch, especially Celestia's singing

The Mane 6 and Spike performed very well

Cons:

Too much singing

Not a single appearance by Big Mac or Apple Bloom until the Mane 6 helped Pinkie Pie with the apple farm

Pretty rushed episode

Pros:

1) No more threads about potential Alicorn Twilight

2) I'm not the biggest fan of musicals, but this episode had a lot of great songs.

3) Celestia finally got a song.

4) Diminishing faith in the writers has been restored (from my standpoint) 

5) Derpy! 

Cons. 

1) Season 3 is over. :(

2) The episode felt like it should have been a 2-parter, and subsequently felt extremely rushed.

3) Endless threads about Alicorn Twilight being a reality. 

4) Sub-par ending, resolved too quickly and everything just seemed too natural for Twilight. 

5) They've used up the potential for an extremely good plot.

• Brohoof 1

All in all i think it was a pretty poor eposode but i did like the singing but it did last along time i sort of got the idea after a miniute but the kept sining and repeating the same thin in diffrent ways, If they cut some of the singing and made more time for the atual story it think it would be a pretty satisfactory eposode. But i do have to compliment clestia singing they all have good voices. But im almost teaing my hair out waiting for season 4!

Oh and Betez I LOVE YOUR PICTURE.

Edited by ollie6125

So I was given a 15 point warning for being off topic because I was talking about how in order to become a princess, Twi seemingly had to change from a unicorn to an alicorn. I was told that saying it was racist was nonsensical and vulgar... Gee.. I don't know what I was thinking..

How could I associate forcing someone to conform to becoming one specific type individual with certain qualities shared by all other individuals in the same social strata as racism? What was I thinking! You are totally right. That is nonsensical....??? 

I hope at some point in season 4 Twi goes, "Wait a minute... what was wrong with being a unicorn?" 

Edited by Plowplot

So I was given a 15 point warning for being off topic because I was talking about how in order to become a princess, Twi seemingly had to change from a unicorn to a Alicorn. I was told that saying it was racist was nonsensical and vulgar... Gee.. I don't know what I was thinking..

How could I associate forcing someone to conform to becoming one specific type individual with certain qualities shared by all other individuals in the same social strata as racism? What was I thinking! You are totally right. That is nonsensical....??? 

I hope at some point in season 4 Twi goes, "Wait a minute... what was wrong with being a unicorn?"

Nowhere in the show does it say that unicorn are better than other races, and while you may have individual characters act better than others does not mean they are correct. Also Twilight was not forced, nor was she upset with the change. Sure it was unexpected but that doesn't mean it is forced and if the writers wish to go there I am sure Twilight will tell Celestia she doesn't want to be an alicorn if she has a problem with it.

All races of pony are equal, or more that is what they are intended to be, as such instead of complaining about perceived racism Make the Canon of MLP Work! Add and explain that which is needed to show how it is not racist, since you seem to believe there lack in such being shown.

Edited by EquestrianScholar

But she did need to become an alicorn to sell a new toy, which is what -- ultimately -- the episode was for.

I'm not dissing the episode.  I liked it.  I liked the songs, I liked the story.  I'm just recognising a fact: MLP needs to sell toys.  They needed a new toy.  They needed to incorporate the new toy into the storyline.  Bingo: Twilight is an alicorn.  I'm comfortable with that.

Pearls of Wisdom - Most people want to serve God, but only as advisers

Yet I do not see there being any problem with Twilight becoming an alicorn, and while prefered her as a unicorn I have accepted that she is not. Find a make the fact that Twilight Sparkle is an alicorn works for you. Add whatever you need to so that you are okay with this change as I am now.

Sure one can argue that it wasn't needed, or even that it wasn't wanted, but that wouldn't change the fact it happened. As such you have a choice, either accept the change that has happened or stay unhappy and leave. Make It Work, allow yourself the chance to consider how Twilight Sparkle being an alicorn can be a good thing.

Edited by EquestrianScholar

Ok.......I'm going to try one last time to fill in the plot holes of this episode before throwing in the towel.....

1. Why AJ's family let Pinkie Pie work on the farm despite her blatant inability to do the job, why they didn't help her, and why they didn't just try to get AJ back.

Perhaps it was due to Pinkie wanting to work there because he new cutie mark compelled her to, and she begged them to let her stay and for that reason they allowed her. They then left her on the farm alone while they went to search for AJ, which is why they weren't helping Pinkie. To also explain why they were suddenly there to help when AJ came back, perhaps, coincidentally, they had just finally returned from their search when AJ came back with her friends. Due to how horrendously rushed this episode was, all of this was left out.

Alternatively, the memories of everypony in town were altered to make them believe that the ponies belonged at their new jobs. How the entire farm managed to fall into disrepair in one day is beyond me, cartoon logic maybe?

2. Why the entire town (or at least a large amount of the populace) became so miserable that they were hostile to eachother until Pinkie came back

We got two options: Accept the bullshit logic that Pinkie is somehow the one thing that keeps the entire populace of Ponyville (or at least a large amount of the populace) from suffering from a severe case of mass-buttmadness, or argue that the elements of harmony being messed up destroyed the happiness of Ponyville's citizens, which means that the elements are the source of Ponyville's (and possibly all of Equestria's) joy.

3. How Twilight came to the conclusion that the elements being placed on her friends necks while they're relearning their true special talents would bring back their memories and restore their cutie-marks, as well as fixing the elements

Maybe she just assumed that it might work because the elements have been shown to restore harmony in the past, and the full extent of their powers are unknown, so she might of just decided "fuck, I'll throw em on and see if it fixes them".

And finally

4.  Why the Pegasi Weather team didn't stop Rarity from fucking with the weather

Maybe they have days (or one day) that they aren't at work, so the weather goes unwatched, and that just happened to be the day just happened to be the day Rarity fucked with the weather. Then again, even on their off day, you'd think they would have noticed and fixed it. Ya.......I got nothing. This one's pure unjustifyable bullshit.

Well, I think that covers it. Meh, I'll keep watching this show.......I'll forgive this ONE plot hole, so long as no more arise that I can't justify. Hopefully, we wont have any more sub-par episodes like this one.

Edited by Mr. Jaguar
  • Brohoof 3

I must say that was very well thought out, any chance you would be willing to help expand the episode to handle the issues you found with it? I have recently started a group on Deviantart and I feel someone like you could help towards making it grow. You see the group is called MLPMakeItWork and it's purpose is to, well, make the canon of the MLP:FiM series work. To expand and explain, without changing canon, an episode so as to make it stronger.

I'd rather not. I don't feel like it should be the responsibility of the fandom to make canon work. Canon should work on its own without requiring us to invent fanon around it to justify it.

I mean I do like figuring things out with fanon, but I'd also rather not because I'm reasonably sure some of my beliefs on how Equestria works would... not be welcome. (For example, I believe that everypony doesn't even really have a sexual orientation in the sense that we think of it... they like the ponies they like. Functionally this ends up being the same as if everyone was either pansexual or asexual, but that's not how they think of it.)

• Brohoof 1