NavelColt

155 users have voted

1. 1. Did you like it?

• No, I hated it >:(
    • I didn't like it.
    • Meh. It was ok.
    • I liked it!
    • I LOVED IT! <3

This was the only episode i have ever disliked in MLP:FiM.  -_- I did NOT like the episode. Why? Because like all bronies say, IT WAS RUSHED. How about suggesting a 2 PARTER? Have you seen Season 1 and Season 2's finales? They're both 2 parters. And it was like a musical. I liked the songs though.

Well season 1 didn't have a 2 parter, it was the best night ever, it had a few songs but was not a 2 parter, the only real 2 parter was the season 2s last episode.

Don't take this in offence... :(

To satisfy anyone who moans about Twilight being an Alicorn.

The episode is about finding a way to fulfill your destiny. In life, sometimes you're forced to do something which isn't your things. The episode shows it by the "What My Cutie Mark Is Telling Me" song. You don't have to follow what you don't enjoy in your life. Do what you really enjoy, and your life will be enjoyable.

Like in an Indian movie titled "Three Idiots" What? That's an actual title. The movie is very funny and sheds so many tears. The friendship of these three idiots is so inspiring. It's about three idiots who enter an engineering school. One of them has a dying father who needs money for the medical bill. All the idiot wants is to be an engineer, so he can pay for the medical bill and see his beloved father riding a scooter. The pressure to be an engineer and supporting his family's economy makes him depressed and fear fades his real intelligent in engineering. This is how his friends will help him during his dark time. After a teary moment of friendship, he gets a job as an engineer. Yeah, enjoy the spoiler. :lol:

The another one really enjoys taking photo of animals, and have the talent in it, but his father wants him to be an engineer, and this idiot doesn't want to disappoint his father. Then, his friends do something risky for him and it changes his choice. Again, with a tear-making moment, his father turns to support his only and beloved son to be a photographer. The last one is the surprise. He's the Twilight of these three idiots.

If you're an artist who's forced to be an engineer in an engineering school, then it will be like "It has to be my destiny, cause it's what my Cutie Mark is telling me." Your life will be annoying to live. A true friend will show you the right way. To see the light.

This also happened to me. My friend told me that I have a talent in programming after he saw me doing some programming thingy. I was planning to be an network engineer that time, because there's more job offering as an network engineer than a programmer. I don't really enjoy networking, and I had to do it for my future, because that's why my school is telling me. I kept trying to be an network engineer and with a ridiculous brain hurting effort, I could survive in the top ten network engineer in my class.

Later I found out that my friend is right, so I started to learn programming deeper. I'm grateful to see what happened. I learnt very fast, and I became one of two programming masters in my class. Also, the most important one, I really enjoy programming which I didn't even realize before. I didn't really care about finding job after the graduation which will come after this semester. Then my teacher found out that I love programming and contacted a programmer senior to help me with finding a job. Yes, in this school we're recruited even before we graduate. We just need to choose. He recommended me to the company he's working with. The another programming master I mentioned earlier is my best friend.

See how a true friend can change your life. That best friend of mine who's also a programmer is always there for me, to support me whenever I get a trouble with programming. That's what the episode tries to teach us. How a true friend can help you fulfilling your destiny and find happiness in life.

Well, so what's that Alicorn thingy about? That's about showing you the greatness you can find because of friendship and that destiny finding things I mentioned earlier. How else can the episode shows a great change after all? I think changing her into an Alicorn is a good way to express a big change. You can be anything. All you need is a true friend to help you. Helping each other, filling our destiny together.

For me it's not about making a hole-less plot line. It's about sending a message, so guys, keep moving with your friendship and see how true friends who help each other can bring you to your destiny, and happiness in life. This is why I love MLP. The morale booster.

• Brohoof 3

This was the only episode i have ever disliked in MLP:FiM.  -_- I did NOT like the episode. Why? Because like all bronies say, IT WAS RUSHED. How about suggesting a 2 PARTER? Have you seen Season 1 and Season 2's finales? They're both 2 parters. And it was like a musical. I liked the songs though.

Who cares if it was rushed? It sure didn't stop me from enjoying it. Besides, considering how this is apparently gonna lead into a three-parter, I can see that the cup is half-full after all. :)

• Brohoof 2

I nearly cried 15 minuets in, I thought it was going to be the last episode ever, After the episode finished I was crying as I was so happy for twilight and after I was done with my happiness I searched if it was going to be the last episode and was happy to see it was last in season 3 but season 4 was coming :)

• Brohoof 1

Kind of lame in my opinion.

"Oh no, all their cutie marks have been changed, this could make for a really interesting episo- oh wait fixed in an instant." 

I don't mind Twilight being an alicorn, and the songs were good, but nothing interesting happened in the whole damn episode. Oh well, I'm still excited for season 4, hopefully they will make some episodes about the plot to this one or something. 

Edited by Chill Mists (Chilly)
  • Brohoof 1

I think it's just that me and so many other bronies have seen so many alicorn Mary Sue's that we associate alicorns with them, but less so after Cadance. Still, Twilight already was kind of a Mary Sue with her magic talent, but her social awkwardness balanced her out. I'm afraid that since Celestio said Twilight had 'learned so much about friendship' that her social awkwardness would dissipate. I mean, come on! She's and alicorn, a master of magic, a good friend, and a national hero of Equestria.

Those aren't traits of a Mary Sue at all!

PS:

Also, I don't think Twilight alone deserved to become an alicorn, since pretty much everything except the finale was a group effort.

PSS:

It also reinforces the obvious caste system in the show.

Unicorns Characters: Rarity, designer of extravagant gem-studded clothes, and Twilight, a master of magic AND a princess.

Pegasus Characters: Rainbow Dash, a great athlete and natural warrior, and Fluttershy, a caretaker of animals.

Earth Pony Characters: Applejack, a farmer, and Pinkie Pie, a baker.

Also, Canterlot is almost exclusively inhabited by unicorns, except for a guard force composed entirely of Pegasi, except for their commander, who of course is a unicorn.

Just needed to get that out of my system.

(Good grief, this post has become just a criticism of MLP)

Twilight is only the personal protegé of the one and only Princess Celestia since, like... the very beginning of the show. Can't "stay in school" forever.

If you're going to argue a caste system, then I can argue her princesshood is like some sort of uber high degree. Heck, I'd say that either way. But I don't care enough about that to go into detail.

As far as I'm concerned, she's still just Twilight with wings. Nothing more.

Edited by DBG

So much negativity on this episode still. Doesn't ANYPONY have anything positive to say about this episode which overpowers the negative?

Nobody has anything good to say about it that overpowers the negative because there is nothing good about it the first place.  This episode is honestly the worst episode of the series, in fact it's the only episode I even dislike, which is saying a lot.  It was super rushed, the creators shouldn't have even attempted to make something with such a complex story in only one episode.  Just the cutie mark switch thing could have been a two parter by itself, not to mention the thing with Twilight.  They way they handled it made Twilights transformation seem completely and utterly random.  It seriously has nothing to do with the events in the first part of the episode.  If they had an extra 22 mins maybe they could have tied it together in a way that made sense, but that's not what happened.  The creators just plain crammed way to much stuff into one episode, which pretty much ruined the whole thing. 

In addition the songs were epicly terrible.  I honestly hated all of them.  They were just plain poorly written and composed.  One would have be bad enough, but it went on for the whole episode.  It made a bad episode even worse.  There's isn't really anything else to say about them, they were just plain terrible.

The icing on the crap cake has to be Twilight's Alicorn transformation.  Like I said the reveal was very rushed but the real problem is that i honestly can think of a good outcome for the show when it comes to Twilight's Alicorness.  There's just way to many things that can go wrong with this new change.  Someone in another tread stated that her turning into an Alicorn is a jumping the shark moment for the show.  While I'm not going to agree with that statement wholeheartedly until there's more evidence, I can't deny that it's possible.

I don't want to sound like a big pessimist here.  I know that the writers can still make a good show, it's that I'm a little afraid of what might happen.  I'm going to let the show do the talking though.  

• Brohoof 1

Nobody has anything good to say about it that overpowers the negative because there is nothing good about it the first place.  This episode is honestly the worst episode of the series, in fact it's the only episode I even dislike, which is saying a lot.  It was super rushed, the creators shouldn't have even attempted to make something with such a complex story in only one episode.  Just the cutie mark switch thing could have been a two parter by itself, not to mention the thing with Twilight.  They way they handled it made Twilights transformation seem completely and utterly random.  It seriously has nothing to do with the events in the first part of the episode.  If they had an extra 22 mins maybe they could have tied it together in a way that made sense, but that's not what happened.  The creators just plain crammed way to much stuff into one episode, which pretty much ruined the whole thing. 

In addition the songs were epicly terrible.  I honestly hated all of them.  They were just plain poorly written and composed.  One would have be bad enough, but it went on for the whole episode.  It made a bad episode even worse.  There's isn't really anything else to say about them, they were just plain terrible.

The icing on the crap cake has to be Twilight's Alicorn transformation.  Like I said the reveal was very rushed but the real problem is that i honestly can think of a good outcome for the show when it comes to Twilight's Alicorness.  There's just way to many things that can go wrong with this new change.  Someone in another tread stated that her turning into an Alicorn is a jumping the shark moment for the show.  While I'm not going to agree with that statement wholeheartedly until there's more evidence, I can't deny that it's possible.

I don't want to sound like a big pessimist here.  I know that the writers can still make a good show, it's that I'm a little afraid of what might happen.  I'm going to let the show do the talking though.  

You're just saying all that to disagree.

This episode is clearly NOT the worst of the series at all, and everything else negative you've stated, it just shows that you are very blind. No offense.

On the other hand, if you're all that negative about the episode, perhaps this song will help:

Plus, word on the street is, this episode's leading up into a three-parter, so tell that to all those who claim this episode "rushed". ;)

Edited by BlueEyedPegasus

Nobody has anything good to say about it that overpowers the negative because there is nothing good about it the first place.

Only if you choose to look at it negatively. As you can clearly see, your opinion (and those that agree with it) is clearly different than those that don't mind and/or like Alicorn Twilight.

And no amount of support you have is going to change that what you have just said is nothing more than an opinion.

"Nobody has anything good to say about it" is false. I like it. I think Alicorn Twilight is a fun idea. I also think she deserved it at some point, because it's a graduation of sorts. There.

Edited by DBG
  • Brohoof 1

This episode is clearly NOT the worst of the series at all, and everything else negative you've stated, it just shows that you are very blind. No offense.

On the other hand, if you're all that negative about the episode, perhaps this song will help:

Plus, word on the street is, this episode's leading up into a three-parter, so tell that to all those who claim this episode "rushed". ;)

I didn't say that just so I could disagree. That makes no fricking sense whatsoever.  That's your rebuttal, Really?  Name one episode that is worse that the episode in question.  Seriously name one.  The series finale ins't just the worst MLP episode, it's honestly one of the worst things I've seen on tv in a long time.  Watching it was literally painful for me.  I wanted to turn it off but I kept watching the ep just so I could say I did.

Only if you choose to look at it negatively. As you can clearly see, your opinion (and those that agree with it) is clearly different than those that don't mind and/or like Alicorn Twilight.

And no amount of support you have is going to change that what you have just said is nothing more than an opinion.

"Nobody has anything good to say about it" is false. I like it. I think Alicorn Twilight is a fun idea. I also think she deserved it at some point, because it's a graduation of sorts. There.

I was playing off the way he worded the comment.  I'm sure some people liked it.  I admit they were a few moments I liked but they were all one liners and one liners can't save an episode. 

Kind of lame in my opinion.

"Oh no, all their cutie marks have been changed, this could make for a really interesting episo- oh wait fixed in an instant." 

I don't mind Twilight being an alicorn, and the songs were good, but nothing interesting happened in the whole damn episode. Oh well, I'm still excited for season 4, hopefully they will make some episodes about the plot to this one or something. 

Seriously, read my previous post. Do an intelligent analysis about the morale, not just the plot holes.

To satisfy anyone who moans about Twilight being an Alicorn.

The episode is about finding a way to fulfill your destiny. In life, sometimes you're forced to do something which isn't your things. The episode shows it by the "What My Cutie Mark Is Telling Me" song. You don't have to follow what you don't enjoy in your life. Do what you really enjoy, and your life will be enjoyable.

[About a movie titled "Three Idiots" as an example]

If you're an artist who's forced to be an engineer in an engineering school, then it will be like "It has to be my destiny, cause it's what my Cutie Mark is telling me." Your life will be annoying to live. A true friend will show you the right way. To see the light.

[My own experience on this kind of things]

See how a true friend can change your life. That best friend of mine who's also a programmer is always there for me, to support me whenever I get a trouble with programming. That's what the episode tries to teach us. How a true friend can help you fulfilling your destiny and find happiness in life.

Well, so what's that Alicorn thingy about? That's about showing you the greatness you can find because of friendship and that destiny finding things I mentioned earlier. How else can the episode shows a great change after all? I think changing her into an Alicorn is a good way to express a big change. You can be anything. All you need is a true friend to help you. Helping each other, filling our destiny together.

For me it's not about making a hole-less plot line. It's about sending a message, so guys, keep moving with your friendship and see how true friends who help each other can bring you to your destiny, and happiness in life. This is why I love MLP. The morale booster.

Twilight is only the personal protegé of the one and only Princess Celestia since, like... the very beginning of the show. Can't "stay in school" forever.

If you're going to argue a caste system, then I can argue her princesshood is like some sort of uber high degree. Heck, I'd say that either way. But I don't care enough about that to go into detail.

As far as I'm concerned, she's still just Twilight with wings. Nothing more.

Aye. Correct!

The icing on the crap cake has to be Twilight's Alicorn transformation.  Bla bla bla.

This one as well! Read my previous post. Seriously, everything this episode tries to teach us is really easy to understand.

I like this. The blind part. It's the best word to describe it I think. :lol:

Twilight Alicorn isn't a part of God modding. It's about explaining the great change you can find by friendship. The Cutie Mark issue is about finding your true talent and destiny between this dragging life. The next part shows you how a true friend can help you finding your destiny and happiness in life. The Alicorn transformation thingy is to show you the great change you can get with true friendship and helping each other in friendship.

post-10241-0-41293300-1360073893.jpg
Open your eyes and see what's the show really about instead of seeing the "cartoon" plot holes.
  • Brohoof 1

Nobody has anything good to say about it that overpowers the negative because there is nothing good about it the first place.

Only if you choose to look at it negatively.

Can't we just agree to disagree? I mean, both of you have valid reasons for liking and disliking the episode, and this doesn't seem to really be helping to convince one side or the other. This episode seems to igniting frightening levels of fury. Some people do find something good in the episode, and some people do genuinely dislike it. Right?

I didn't say that just so I could disagree. That makes no fricking sense whatsoever.  That's your rebuttal, Really?  Name one episode that is worse that the episode in question.  Seriously name one.

Games Ponies Play, Feeling Pinkie Keen, Over A Barrel, Swarm Of The Century Dragon Quest... I have a rather extensive list, and I'm sure you disagree with some of them. Meanwhile, I love the episode The Mysterious Mare Do Well, one that many would claim has no redeemable qualities. I think you are being a little too aggressive for what's really just a difference of opinion. As you say:

I'm sure some people liked it.  I admit they were a few moments I liked but they were all one liners and one liners can't save an episode. 
Edited by Stellafera
  • Brohoof 1

This episode is honestly the worst episode of the series,

Seriously?  So you never saw Friendship is Magic part two?  Applejack is a drama queen who doesn't think to just say "Hey, Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy will catch you", Rarity is more the element of Vanity rather than generosity, no one thinks to just fly across the river, and Pinkie Pie will laugh herself into being eaten.

Talk about cramming too much stuff into a single episode, how about they way they shoehorned six differnet elements into a single episode?  Not to mention how utterly stupid they made Nightmare Moon who was so so so easily defeated.

Could they have expanded MMC?  Probably, but at high risk of padding.  Could you really have squeezed 22 more minutes out of that?  More if you really wanted to concentrate on just the Cutie Mark switching?  Think Crystal Empire and how that was padded out.

Yeah, the episode was a bit fast paced.  Maybe seven or ten more minutes would have helped.  But commercial limitations kept it at 22 minutes. Got to work with what you have.

After all that above, I am not saying you are wrong.  The episode didn't work for you.  That's the way it goes.  Can't please \

everyone.  I, for one, really liked it.  A nice cap on a too-short of a season.

Now, if you want to talk about episodes I hate, let's chat about MMMMystery on the Pony Express...  Maybe I just can't handle Pinkie Pie in large doses.

Pearls of Wisdom - I want my children to have all the things I couldn't afford.  Then I want to move in with them.

That is no excuse.  In fact that is all the more reason to properly pace this episode.  They could have made this whole episode about the cutie mark switching and ended with Twilight finishing the spell.  Would that have been so hard?

• Brohoof 2

I was playing off the way he worded the comment.  I'm sure some people liked it.  I admit they were a few moments I liked but they were all one liners and one liners can't save an episode. 

Either way, it still depends on how you view it.

90% of people liking an episode doesn't mean the 10% are missing out, nor does 90% of people hating an episode mean the 10% are stupid for saying it's good.

Can't we just agree to disagree? I mean, both of you have valid reasons for liking and disliking the episode, and this doesn't seem to really be helping to convince one side or the other. This episode seems to igniting frightening levels of fury. Some people do find something good in the episode, and some people do genuinely dislike it. Right?

It's just hard to find *cough* intelligent people these days. At least it's hard to find those who know what's a forum and a discussion are made for.

Well, as the bad side, I found those dresses the Princesses used are bad designed. I like those they made in the season 1. Maybe the color choice. Purple and gold don't look so good to me. Just saying.

Seriously, read my previous post. Do an intelligent analysis about the morale, not just the plot holes.

Aye. Correct!

This one as well! Read my previous post. Seriously, everything this episode tries to teach us is really easy to understand.

I like this. The blind part. It's the best word to describe it I think. :lol:

Twilight Alicorn isn't a part of God modding. It's about explaining the great change you can find by friendship. The Cutie Mark issue is about finding your true talent and destiny between this dragging life. The next part shows you how a true friend can help you finding your destiny and happiness in life. The Alicorn transformation thingy is to show you the great change you can get with true friendship and helping each other in friendship.

Open your eyes and see what's the show really about instead of seeing the "cartoon" plot holes.

Having a good moral doesn't justify making a bad episode.  It 's very easy to spit out a moral, making it entertaining is the hardest, and most important part.  This episode failed to make it entertaining.  It doesn't matter what the moral is, if it's boring then I don't care.

Seriously?  So you never saw Friendship is Magic part two?  Applejack is a drama queen who doesn't think to just say "Hey, Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy will catch you", Rarity is more the element of Vanity rather than generosity, no one thinks to just fly across the river, and Pinkie Pie will laugh herself into being eaten.

Talk about cramming too much stuff into a single episode, how about they way they shoehorned six differnet elements into a single episode?  Not to mention how utterly stupid they made Nightmare Moon who was so so so easily defeated.

Could they have expanded MMC?  Probably, but at high risk of padding.  Could you really have squeezed 22 more minutes out of that?  More if you really wanted to concentrate on just the Cutie Mark switching?  Think Crystal Empire and how that was padded out.

Yeah, the episode was a bit fast paced.  Maybe seven or ten more minutes would have helped.  But commercial limitations kept it at 22 minutes. Got to work with what you have.

After all that above, I am not saying you are wrong.  The episode didn't work for you.  That's the way it goes.  Can't please \

everyone.  I, for one, really liked it.  A nice cap on a too-short of a season.

Now, if you want to talk about episodes I hate, let's chat about MMMMystery on the Pony Express...  Maybe I just can't handle Pinkie Pie in large doses.

Pearls of Wisdom - I want my children to have all the things I couldn't afford.  Then I want to move in with them.

Your talking about the pilot.  Pilots are usually rushed and aren't as good as later episodes because they have to set so much stuff up.  Comparing the finale of a third season to a pilot doesn't make much sense.  That's like comparing a new born to a full grown adult and complaining the new born can't do as much stuff as the adult can.  And for the record the pilot story arch is way better then this episode in every imaginable way. 

Edited by Discount_Flunky
  • Brohoof 1

Having a good moral doesn't justify making a bad episode.  It 's very easy to spit out a moral, making it entertaining is the hardest, and most important part.  This episode failed to make it entertaining.  It doesn't matter what the moral is, if it's boring then I don't care.

Your talking about the pilot.  Pilots are usually rushed and aren't as good as later episodes because they have to set so much stuff up.  Comparing the finale of a third season to a pilot doesn't make much sense.  That's like comparing a new born to a full grown adult and complaining the new born can't do as much stuff as the adult can.  And for the record the pilot story arch is way better then this episode in every imaginable way. 

And for the record, can't we just do what Stellafera said and just agree to disagree?

These disputes are probably giving lots of people a headache. What's done is done. Some people like it. Others don't. No amount of reasoning will ever make either side more right than the other. Ever.

• Brohoof 1

In my case, I didn't find it boring. It's funny to see Applejack's expression when she was going to cry while making dresses. :lol:

Oh yes. Rainbow Dash and the cauldron. Makes me LOL till now. I just enjoy it, not over thinking it.

And for the record, can't we just do what Stellafera said and just agree to disagree?

These disputes are probably giving lots of people a headache. What's done is done. Some people like it. Others don't. No amount of reasoning will ever make either side more right than the other. Ever.

*salute*

Let's start an useful discussion then.

There's nothing wrong with debate, it's what adults do.  Sometimes debates get nasty, it's just the way it is.  I'd rather have a nasty debate then no debate at all.  The "let's just agree to disagree" line is a cop out.  If you don't want to participate in a debate then don't, that's fine, but don't get in the way of other people.  Just be sure, if you join in, too actually give legit reasons for your opinion as opposed to "The episode was great. Shut up you sourpuss!"  That I hear from everyone else here who likes the episode.  Opinions need to be able to be defended and have legit reasons for existing if your going to bring them up at all.

If your getting sick of the debate just wait a bit and it will die down on it's own.  People will eventually move on, but for right now there's no point in stopping.  The episode is still pretty new, and therefore the debate is relevant.

And for the record I am not even close to as hostile as you people make me out to be.  I actually believe that the writers can turn around the whole Twilight alicorn thing and make it something good.  A lot of other people are flipping a tit and declaring the show officially dead, those are the ones you should be complaining about.  (Also for the record I use the saying "For the record" way to much)

Edited by Discount_Flunky

There's nothing wrong with debate, it's what adults do.  Sometimes debates get nasty, it's just the way it is.  I'd rather have a nasty debate then no debate at all.  The "let's just agree to disagree" line is a cop out.  If you don't want to participate in a debate then don't, that's fine, but don't get in the way of other people.  Just be sure, if you join in, too actually give legit reasons for your opinion as opposed to "The episode was great. Shut up you sourpuss!"  That I hear from everyone else here who likes the episode.  Opinions need to be able to be defended and have legit reasons for existing if your going to bring them up at all.

Just don't forget to stay on topic and make an useful debate or discussion. ;)

Sorry in advance for the good very chance.

"You dawg. I heard you like debates, so I make a debate about debating so you can debate while you're debating."

:lol:

I wonder. What are the categories we're going to discuss here? The main elements like animation, music, morale, humour, plot lines, etc or just plot lines?

Edited by Sky Warden

Hmmmm, this episode really would have benefitted had it been a two-parter. I have always enjoyed every episode of MLP, and yes while I enjoy some episodes more than others, and I will have the occasional nitpick, I still love the show because of how well made and likeable it is, and how it always manages to make me smile and laugh at least once every episode. As such, I've never really had a "problem" with an episode, just the occasional nitpick or some slight lost potential, but the episodes are still enjoyable and brilliant none the less. Here however, for the first time, I actually have a slight problem, and it's the pacing no less. Pacing has never really been something that came across as an issue before, and it was never anything I would nitpick about, but in this episode, I can't help but feel that it was very rushed. The episode is still fun and enjoyable as the rest are, with the same care and attention to detail and jokes as every other episode has. Pinkie Pie had some hilarious moments, the animals about to cook Rainbow Dash was hilarious, as was Spike's silly dancing with the moustache comedy glasses. Consistency was still kept with a spotting of Derpy, an appearance of DJ Pon 3 , and Spike referencing all the other past possible cures for weird happenings that they have all encountered. 

The episode had a lot of stuff going on, and some big changes made to the show in general. The concept is great and the songs were enjoyable, but the pacing really made the episode lose a lot of potential....potential that will never come back in this circumstance because this kind of change can only happen once....for Twilight anyway. 

Some really important things happened in this episode, but the audience didn't have long enough to let anything sink in. I love MLP because it can really drag me into this charming world where the emotions really do affect me, and I really do care for the characters. I feel sad when bad things happen to them, and I get teary eyed when good things happen to them, but in this episode, everything went far too quickly for me to develop the same real emotional response I would usually have. The songs were good, but they were about 6 of them, and the whole musical style felt out of place because it was such a contrast to the rest of the show (musical moments were always a privilege to see because we didn't get them every episode), and the moments of dialogue between songs were incredibly short and didn't really pay off for any nice build up or after effect of the songs because as soon as one ended, the next one would start very quickly after before the audience could let the effect of the previous one properly sink in. The songs couldn't sink in well, because we didn't hear much dialogue from the characters afterwards that reflected their feelings after the song. 

I did like the episode, but I knew I could have enjoyed it more. I wanted more emotional dialogue between Twilight and her friends. Hell, I thought at least Spike would get a chance to say something to Twilacorn, you know, seeing as Spike has been with Twilight through her journey throughout and is essentially her oldest and closest friend whom isn't family. I thought he would get to say something, but he doesn't appear to get a single line of dialogue after they set out to get the 5 back into their rightful states again. I wish we could have had a whole episode to see how the effect of the 5's destinies changing really impacted Twilight. Perhaps she would have doubted herself for good and would doubt everything she had learned. Perhaps then when she learns her final lesson and fix everything would it seem more appropriate for her transformation. It would have been nice if the montage leading up to her transformation was longer as well, seeing as this episode pretty much is celebrating the entirety of Twilights journey. I wish Luna and Cadence would get a bit more to say, or at least anything to say.

As far as the future of the show goes, I'm not going to say anything until S4 comes around, because I'm anxious to see what the writers will do, but for now, while the episode was still enjoyable, it could have been incredible had it been spread out a bit more :/

• Brohoof 2

-snip-

This, for those that say the likers of the Magical Mysteriy Cure don't give good reasoning this proves that they can show why they like it despite the episodes flaws.

I agree with this almost completely, the episodes main problem is pacing and if Hasbro would have allowed the writers to make this into a two parter the Magical Mystery Cure would have been much better. The writers having the chance to make this a two parter would have then had the time to better explain and detail what was going on and they wouldn't have had to rely on the music to move the episode forward.

I disagree a little bit because I actually liked the musical aspect of the episode, the only song I would have kept out was the beginning song and like others it would have been better for Twilight to have actually been shown getting the letter and reading the spell to see it not work before going outside and seeing there was a problem cuing the opening song of Friendship is Magic... with perhaps a change to the lyrics.

Edited by EquestrianScholar
  • Brohoof 1