Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

First reactions to Discord

Steel Accord

When Discord's introductory scene ended. My reaction was something along the lines of . . . .

Data: "Ooooooh shit!" I don't normally like to curse, but nothing seemed to underscore my feelings better. Discord took me by surprise, he wasn't scary per se, but he was very unnerving. He actually is very much like his oft mentioned sci-fi counterpart Q, and THAT'S what makes him scary. Dragons, Cockatrices, Hydras, Diamond Dogs (trolls really) they all have rules or weaknesses like in legends or fables. Post-singularity creatures like the Q Continuum are so advanced that any "rules" that do apply to them, only they know about. After seeing the ponies beat conventional fantasy monsters, Discord almost seemed out of context.

The background music, his mask of amicability, his uncanny knowledge of the mane 6, Celestia close to panicking. Discord almost pranced around the ponies using the stain glassed windows for visual humor like we would use Powerpoint. With the echoing voice, it was less like Discord was where they were seeing him and more like the whole chamber had become his "presence" and he was using the windows as a courtesy to his "audience."

What did it for me was when Discord was just able to erase the ponie's wings and horns without even being there. I don't know why, but it disturbed me on a deep level. The Mane 6 don't "fight" in the conventional sense, they overcome their enemies either by compromise, outsmarting them, or with raw magic. Discord had no intention of stopping, he was deviously cunning, and was powerful enough to simply take night and day away from Luna and Celestia. He subjected the Mane 6 to a game for the hell of it and they were completely at his mercy for the duration, separating and breaking them one by one. The scariest part? He was just PLAYING with them! He could have stopped the biggest threat to him from the beginning as he did with Fluttershy. Never have I seen the heroes of a story try to resist a villain that so utterly "beyond" themselves.

Maybe I'm overeacting, many fans treat Discord like the greatest thing for the show since Rarity's whining. What were your guys impressions?

Edited by Steelquill
  • Brohoof 3

I'm not going to lie, I was pretty intimidated by him after I saw what he was capable of in the maze. Like you said, Steelquill, he was totally just messing with them the whole time and was just slowly breaking them all, one by one. He had taken away every advantage they normally would have had: Twilight and Raritys' horns, Fluttershy and Rainbow Dash's wings, Applejack's courage, and Pinkie's ability to laugh away her doubt and fear as well as the Elements of Harmony. They already had no way to stop him, he was just screwing with them for the hell of it. Seeing the Mane 6 so helpless after beating everything Equestria had thrown at them thus far, it was a scary to see a being that had trumped them all so easily and without even breaking a sweat. But after that, I came to respect him as the great villain that he is(that and chaos is too fun not to love, am I right ^_^ ? As Discord himself said: "What fun is there in making sense?) Edited by super muffin derpy506
  • Brohoof 1

I view him in the same light that I view Sheogorath from TES Shivering Isles. They are some of my all-time favorite characters because, well if I was a god I would want to be like them. Truly all powerful (but not completely intelligent or omniscient), and they can kill you without a second glance. No laws of nature, physics, whatever can stop them. They are those laws, and it all changes upon their whims. Chaotic characters are very interesting to watch and, because I am a bit of a psych nerd, study.

As a mortal I fear their power and chaotic drive, but at the same time I can't help but say "Holy crap, these guys are awesome!"

I'm not going to lie, I was pretty intimidated by him after I saw what he was capable of in the maze. Like you said, Steelquill, he was totally just messing with them the whole time and was just slowly breaking them all, one by one. He had taken away every advantage they normally would have had: Twilight and Raritys' horns, Fluttershy and Rainbow Dash's wings, Applejack's courage, and Pinkie's ability to laugh away her doubt and fear as well as the Elements of Harmony. They already had no way to stop him, he was just screwing with them for the hell of it. Seeing the Mane 6 so helpless after beating everything Equestria had thrown at them thus far, it was a scary to see a being that had trumped them all so easily and without even breaking a sweat. But after that, I came to respect him as the great villain that he is(that and chaos is too fun not to love, am I right ^_^ ? As Discord himself said: "What fun is there in making sense?)

I myself slide toward "lawful good" if you catch my drift. (Not saying I'm perfect!) But I know what you mean. He IS a great villain precisely because he upped the ante. I knew the Mane 6 could pull another "save the world" stunt, and this time they get props for it!

Haha, so, this may seem OT, bear with me for a minute it's on-topic:

I was looking at some pony stuff on DA, and my older brother came in. He already thinks I'm weird and stuff, so I hid it (Not saying anything bad about the show, just the general public view of it), and he viciously tried to find out what I was doing like a hungry wolf clawing at a burrowed rabbit. Well, being of good moral standing, to convice him it wasn't anything - inappaproriate, I showed him what it was.

Lol, he was shocked I was hiding it, turns out he liked the series, too! And you know why? Discord. Discord is the soul reason my brother knows what MLP:FiM really is. Because he's a huge fan of the omnipotent-type characters, and he heard that Q's actor played Discord, so he looked it up.

Anyways, he was one heck of a villain! What was awesome was that he wasn't really evil, per say, he just wanted to have some fun (Although, in a psychotically selfish, evil way, lol), and he was so incredibly powerful! It's almost like he was a Q drop-in to the show, lol, just playing around with the characters for his own amusement, setting up challenges for them (Sorta like any author of a story). And he made what's one of the most interesting episodes in the series, IMO.

EDIT:

I view him in the same light that I view Sheogorath from TES Shivering Isles. They are some of my all-time favorite characters because, well if I was a god I would want to be like them. Truly all powerful (but not completely intelligent or omniscient), and they can kill you without a second glance. No laws of nature, physics, whatever can stop them. They are those laws, and it all changes upon their whims. Chaotic characters are very interesting to watch and, because I am a bit of a psych nerd, study. As a mortal I fear their power and chaotic drive, but at the same time I can't help but say "Holy crap, these guys are awesome!"

The only thing is, IMO, everything would get boring and pointless after awhile if you were that way. I think the only way someone omnipotent could find meaning in an endless, omnipotent existence, is by respecting creature's free will and relationships with them. If your omnipotent, everything else loses meaning. But if you must respect free will, then relationships with other critters is just the same as ever, and so it's just as meaningful.

Oh, and I'm a huge science/physics nerd. I love the world and the beauty of reality and math because it's all so perfectly consistant with everything in the universe. So I'm like the opposite of discord, lol. When I write stories I work hard to make sure everything makes sense and is realistic.

Edited by Dr. Braun
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

Haha, so, this may seem OT, bear with me for a minute it's on-topic:

I was looking at some pony stuff on DA, and my older brother came in. He already thinks I'm weird and stuff, so I hid it (Not saying anything bad about the show, just the general public view of it), and he viciously tried to find out what I was doing like a hungry wolf clawing at a burrowed rabbit. Well, being of good moral standing, to convice him it wasn't anything - inappaproriate, I showed him what it was.

Lol, he was shocked I was hiding it, turns out he liked the series, too! And you know why? Discord. Discord is the soul reason my brother knows what MLP:FiM really is. Because he's a huge fan of the omnipotent-type characters, and he heard that Q's actor played Discord, so he looked it up.

Anyways, he was one heck of a villain! What was awesome was that he wasn't really evil, per say, he just wanted to have some fun (Although, in a psychotically selfish, evil way, lol), and he was so incredibly powerful! It's almost like he was a Q drop-in to the show, lol, just playing around with the characters for his own amusement, setting up challenges for them (Sorta like any author of a story). And he made what's one of the most interesting episodes in the series, IMO.

I also think it's one of the best in the series. I hate how I felt during it, but the very fact it evoked such emotion was a testament to the show and it's writers. Edited by Steelquill

My first reaction was: "This is all the CMC's fault..'' Right before Discord had broken free the CMC were fighting...So they kinda triggered it.

He annoyed me...To no end except..I gotta give him his props one: Chocolate rain (I laughed so hard) and the fact he was an actual threat and even unnerved Celestia.

• Brohoof 1

My first reaction to Discord was something like "He kicks ass!".

I know I'm pretty much mirroring what others said, but in simpler words, but I'll say it anyway: Discord was awesome because he didn't believe he was at any risk of losing. He was just messing with the mane 6. Was just a game to him.

His character design is awesome, too. I mean, just look at him. He looks awesome.

Though doesn't the fact he's called a "draconequuus" imply there are more? I mean, if he was the only one, he'd just be called a Discord, right?

Discord is my flavoruite villain. He was so cleverly made and looks pure evil.

His personality makes me giggle, he doesn't really seem evil but almost mischievous.

And he drinks the glass, not the chocolate milk. Badassery right there.

• Brohoof 1

Best. Villain. EVER!

When I first saw Discord, he reminded me a bit of the Joker in how he only seemed to do all this for his own amusement. But the way he carries this out is downright bone chilling. As several have already pointed out, Discord was in complete control about 95% of the time and when he did lose his cool and brainwash Fluttershy through brute force, you realise he could have done that from the very beginning and instantly removed any opposition to his power. Hell, at the maze entrance he pretty much comes into contact with all 6 of them, so brainwashing all of them before they could react would have taken seconds. But of course, where's the fun in that?

Not only that, but Discord is straight-up Nightmare Fuel to the Nth degree. He's a mish-mash of parts that don't even remotely work together, has the ability to alter reality to his very whim including altering a pony's physical form, can take on numerous forms and even seperate parts of his body to act independantly, openly laughs in the face of others misfortune AND, to top it all off, uses psychological warfare to completely crush those who could possibly stand in the way of his glorious fun.

• Brohoof 2

He was really cool, but I didn't start watching season 2 until November, so I watched the first two episodes and he was really cool, compared to the emperor from star wars. He is my second favorite character, after Dashie of course.

I'm guessing John De Lancie is going to get a lot of "Was playing Discord as much fun like playing Q?" questions when he comes to BroNYcon.

I loved his appearances on Star Trek as Q, and his appearance as Discord reminded me of that. Omnipotent, yet awesome.

At the very beginning I thought it was going to be another predictable villain, then when he actually showed his abilities and toyed with Celestia as if everything was game I started to like the complex characterization. After plotting the mane 6 against each other, I was convinced that he’s the most tactful villain. As a side note, chocolate rain is best form of chaos :P
  • Brohoof 1

Through the episode, here's a summary.

"This guy...he pisses me off."

"NO. CHANGE FLUTTERSHY BACK. :angry: "

*sees Discord drinking glass*

"YOU ARE MASTER TROLL."

Ever since, Discord is best non-pony.

Same here all the way. I hate Discord's guts, yet I can't help but appreciate what he gave the show. A convincing, threatening, and entertaining villain.

At first I really wasn't sure about him.

But as the 2 episodes progressed he just got cooler and cooler. Especially since he's basically just playing Q from star trek which is awesome.

The season 3 opening villain has a lot of work to do, of they want to be as awesome as discord.

• Brohoof 1

At first I really wasn't sure about him.

But as the 2 episodes progressed he just got cooler and cooler. Especially since he's basically just playing Q from star trek which is awesome.

The season 3 opening villain has a lot of work to do, of they want to be as awesome as discord.

You're telling me! What's next? Armor bound imps so full of hate they are obviously the Daleks? Or a disembodied overlord with a pair of giant flaming eyes that needs the Elements of Harmony to become physical again?

You're telling me! What's next? Armor bound imps so full of hate they are obviously the Daleks? Or a disembodied overlord with a pair of giant flaming eyes that needs the Elements of Harmony to become physical again?

I really do look forward to what's next in store.

I really do look forward to what's next in store.

I know! :P I was being partially serious. If they were able to sneak a sort of meta joke into a villain maybe they could do it again! (Not holding my breath, but it would be cool.) Who knows? Maybe they'll resurrect Tirec from the original Midnight Castle. It would breathe life into an old villain that both bronies and kids might not be familiar with, AND be the biggest continuity shout out since . . .

Sokka: "Airbending slice!"

Plus! If you wanna talk about upping the ante past what even Discord did, there's no one better to use. Much of what Discord did could still be played off as silly before he got bored with just being irksome and wanted to hear some screaming. With Tirec, you KNOW shit's gonna get dark the moment he's on screen!

Posted Image

Oh boy. Another cultist pony. *draws wing-swords*
  • Brohoof 1

I know! :P I was being partially serious. If they were able to sneak a sort of meta joke into a villain maybe they could do it again! (Not holding my breath, but it would be cool.) Who knows? Maybe they'll resurrect Tirec from the original Midnight Castle. It would breathe life into an old villain that both bronies and kids might not be familiar with, AND be the biggest continuity shout out since . . .

Sokka: "Airbending slice!"

Plus! If you wanna talk about upping the ante past what even Discord did, there's no one better to use. Much of what Discord did could still be played off as silly before he got bored with just being irksome and wanted to hear some screaming. With Tirec, you KNOW shit's gonna get dark the moment he's on screen!

Oh boy. Another cultist pony. *draws wing-swords*

*wing boner*