Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Do you honestly believe it was about toy sales?

Bucky McGillyCuddy

Okay,

I had a post that i'd be typing carefully for the past 20 minutes trying not to leave myself open for attack and then Google Chrome stopped responding and i lost it all. I have neither the patience or motivation to re-type it so i'll sum it up below in the fastest, least defensive way possible so excuse the mess.

• Do you honestly believe the decision to transform Twilight into an Alicorn was driven by the thirst for increased Toy Sales?
  • It's complete rubbish in my opinion and is the result of Anti-Twilicorn enthusiasts trying to bash poor old Twilicron and Hasbro into the ground with anything they can get their hands on.
  • Has Hasbro even release Twilicorn toys yet? I've not been able to find a single Twilight Alicorn toy on the Official Hasbro MLP toy site. Wouldn't they have toys everywhere if it that's what it was all about?
  • What evidence do people have to even say this in the first place other than that "Hasbro always does this".

I don't hate people who are Anti-Twilicorn but i can't stand it when they, and i know it's not all of them, are making up things like this. Particularly just to throw Hasbro under the bus. Thank Hasbro for being so money hungry otherwise they might not have wanted to produce FIM in the first place. 

LOVER HER  :angry:

• Brohoof 4

(edited)

"Movies and Series boost sales of their respective toys." This is nothing new and has been their business strategy for quite some time. So by saying that it isn't about toys would be wrong.

One of the reasons I believe why they pushed this is due to the fact that the toy was seen on fairs ( I think that's how it's called ) before the show seemed to point to it. ( And I mean really. The opening episodes were awful and it smelled so much "quick let's put crystal ponies! And transform them for some reason so that there is a different version of them". )

Read this for example: http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/02/business/hasbro-expands-transformers-brand-into-new-media.html?pagewanted=1&_r=2

Edited by Neikifly
  • Brohoof 2

(edited)

• Do you honestly believe the decision to transform Twilight into an Alicorn was driven by the thirst for increased Toy Sales?
  • It's complete rubbish in my opinion and is the result of Anti-Twilicorn enthusiasts trying to bash poor old Twilicron and Hasbro into the ground with anything they can get their hands on.
  • Has Hasbro even release Twilicorn toys yet? I've not been able to find a single Twilight Alicorn toy on the Official Hasbro MLP toy site. Wouldn't they have toys everywhere if it that's what it was all about?
  • What evidence do people have to even say this in the first place other than that "Hasbro always does this".
I don't hate people who are Anti-Twilicorn but i can't stand it when they, and i know it's not all of them, are making up things like this. Particularly just to throw Hasbro under the bus. Thank Hasbro for being so money hungry otherwise they might not have wanted to produce FIM in the first place. 

1 - No, it could've actually been the writer's own decision and taste or as a build-up for Season 4.

However, considering Hasbro's history *and that they're supposed to be working on raising their sales at all times*, it's fair to consider the likeliness it was still to improve sales for any reason.

2 - Your opinion. You're bashing them for bashing Hasbro. I can't take it too seriously because you already know it.

3 - No idea, I don't buy their toys, the ones I have seen are all ugly. (sorry, personal taste)

4 - There might be none, though, I believe it's closer to that Hasbro has shown themselves as any other less respectable(to the fans) company has done.

I know very little of Hasbro's history.

I do know they put a halt to Mane6's fangame project and that their products clearly aren't meant to be worth the material and effort put into it.

5 - I will not thank someone for doing something they're made to do.

Hasbro exists to make money, yes. However, I do not have to like how they choose to do it.

I will be grateful they made MLP, I will NOT be grateful that they do not show support for their fans.

6 - Why do I take this Mane6 MLP rights issue thing so hard?

Ever heard of a franchise named Touhou?

It has hundreds, if not thousands, of fan games and concepts and sales of fanmade material.

Hasbro cannot be compared, as Touhou was a hobby game franchise with no legal copyrights to begin with.

However, Hasbro's ideals are clearly not for their fans.

Selfishness is a right to anyone, but, it does not demand or earn respect from it's fans, nor do I think it should if you decide against it.

7 - I'm not anti-Twilicorn. For the entire first season, Twilight was my favourite of the Mane6.

(now they're all equal in their own rights, after some more depth into their character)

Edited by Sunset Spark
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

1) I like Twilicorn, but I think it was for toys. 

2) There are already a shit load of Twilicorn toys

(This is probably going to be the last Twilicorn thread I'll reply to unless it's not about complaining, or people COMPLAINING about the people complaining) 

Edited by Wubsie

I think it was about Hasbro's toy sales but I don't think it matters to me because I still think the show is amazing. I've seen the Hasbro toys and tbh they don't appeal to me nearly as much as fan-made merchandise. I'm guessing a lot of bronies feel the same way, if Hasbro actually made good quality, show accurate toys and merch then I'd definitely buy some off them but sadly the toys just look like cheap, painted rip-off toys to me.

There's already tons of Twilicorn toys. It's to sell to little girls. They like the big allicorns. That's the same reason Equestria Girls is going to be a thing.

Yes it was for the toys the entire purpose of the show itself is to sell the toys but despite that the show has for the most part been a good show mostly because although that is the purpose Hasbro has been smart enough to keep their meddling to a minimum and let the writers do their jobs. But the alicorn Twilight thing was a huge step in the wrong direction because it reeks of micro management on Hasbro's part I have seen this play out many times before in many shows the show starts out good then the suits butt in and don't let the writers do their jobs and everything starts to fall apart.

To be fair although the introduction of alicorn Twilight to put it kindly was seriously flawed it is still too soon to tell if the show has  jumped the shark and I believe whether or not it has is going to depend on whether or not Hasbro is going to interfere to a similar extent in the future. If not the show is going to continue to maintain its quality and possibly get even better if so then Twilight will become a Mary Sue and the show really will go downhill.

I agree with you on the fact that anti-Twilicorn Bronies are freaking out quite a bit.  But you need to remember that all the show is is a giant marketing strategy, it has been ever since the 1980's when it first premiered.

It wasn't about toy sales

• the writers have hinted at it since the begining
  • Hasbro doesn't have THAT much control over the show.
  • And you guys need to stop freaking out about Twilicorn... we should just wait and see what happens.
  • Brohoof 2

It wasn't about toy sales

• the writers have hinted at it since the begining
  • Hasbro doesn't have THAT much control over the show.
  • And you guys need to stop freaking out about Twilicorn... we should just wait and see what happens.

1) They hinted that Twilight is going to become *something* (perhaps just a princess), can you point to me where they hinted *alicorn* in particular?

2) If there are toys of it (and yes, that HAS been confirmed) then it's likely Hasbro's idea.  Every other case where there was a particular toy tied in with the show, it was Hasbro's idea.  Why would this be any different?

• Brohoof 1

Yes. Why?

Dude. HASBRO. TOY COMPANY. Since the beggining this franchise has been about selling toys. The show was made to re-launch the franchise. And if you've taken notice, since that re-launch an Alicorn Princess has been at the helm of the toy line for about a year. Celestia helmed it from 2011-2012, Cadence helmed it from 2012-13. Now it's the turn for another to take the lead. And Hasbro decided for Twilicorn.

Cadence was made an alicorn purely out of Hasbro's decision to push toysales. Twilicorn is no different. Little girls are going to go crazy over it. From a bussiness perspective it makes sense, Twilight is a familiar face, and making her an alicorn is "new". Aim for two birds to kill with one stone. You've instantly got a toy that'll translate great with the kiddies.

• Brohoof 6

1)Yes I honestly believe it's about toy sales. Hasbro is a toy company.

2) no comment

3) Behold: http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-RE55JqzAp-c/UP8yn4o2bYI/AAAAAAABP9g/LYHyJgzIcyU/s1600/Capture.JPG 

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRMtzijjnaWrnZJ-4qZnhh38vQKOYZnO99OtijlbsKh0_mFR1xW

4) As a person above wrote the show was made to revive the franchise.

I do believe it was about toy sales, but only because MLP is a franchise that is really honestly centered around their toy sales. In fact- pretty much every tv show relies on product sales. Why do you think they push their licensing everywhere? Money! 

And because of the target demographic, children, it's hard to ignore the fact that parents, generally, will buy whatever their kids ask for (if it's reasonable). Going to the store and asking for a $5 pony toy- if I were a parent, if it was an occasional thing, why not. It makes my child happy. 

Without sales, it's hard for a show to stay where it is- so I do think Twilicorn was initiated for the sake of toy sales. However, I fully support Twilicorn, no problem there!

Of course it was about the toy sales, everybody buys them and it earns Hasbro a huge profit in toy sales. But as for the fandom, we could say that without Hasbro or the show we wouldn't be here.

• Brohoof 1

MLP itself, like Transformers and TMNT, is commercially driven and most of the associated properties are, on a conceptual level, toy commercials. Among little girls, princesses tend to drive sales, but Cadence, Celestia, and Luna don't have the visibility of the series protagonist. Twilicorn will be a huge merchandising deal. With that in mind, I have a hard time believing Twilicorn is about anything other than toy sales. Let's be real here. That's how the folks in charge see them.

But here's the thing: it doesn't matter. That's a total red herring.

It doesn't matter that Hasbro's suits look at Twilicorn (or MLP in general) and see dollar signs. That doesn't affect the quality of the product one bit. I'll never tire of saying that you can make a good movie/show out of anything, even a toy commercial. Most of this show is proof of that. If an episode is bad, that's on the creative team. They started making the season finale over a year ago.

I didn't think the Twilicorn episode was bad, but if I did hate it I wouldn't be blaming Hasbro.

Well

The Pretty Pink Pony Princess in a wedding was for toy sales.

I don't honestly believe it was entirely for toy sales, however I do think it played a major role, especially since they did bring it up too soon, I wouldn't have minded if they had properly brought it up, instead of making the whole episode a filler. :L

I think it was partly the toys and partly to end the show.

Yes, I think Magical Mystery Cure was intended to wind up G4 with a bang by finishing up Twilight's story arc. And why not make her a princess besides? It's not like there will be future episodes where her suddenly being in a different strata from her friends in every possible way would become an issue. Just close out with a song about how everything will always be fine and watch Twilight soar off into Happily Ever After. So I think this whole discussion about whether Twilicorn is good/bad for the show was originally intended to be moot as there would be no show for her ascension to be good/bad for.

But then there's a Season 4 now, so I guess the writers have to try and figure out how the show can go on after it's over-the-top finale.

• Brohoof 1

I have said this a few times elsewhere but I guess I'll say it again. Yes it was about toy sales. Is that a bad thing? Only partially. Hasbro changed Cadence into an Alicorn to boost sales for the Royal Canterlot Wedding set. Celestia and Luna were the only Alicorns "intended" to be in the show. The reason why this is bad is because if they are going to direct the show to always boost toy sales the show will tank in quality. And kids are much smarter than Hasbro thinks they are. They will catch onto it eventually. It's a good thing because it eventually means they will make money to keep the show going. I don't think that it was a good idea to make a main character go through such a transformation at least permanently. Because with Cadence we didn't know her at all for it to matter.

(edited)

Hasbro = Corporation

Corporation <3 Money

Ergo

Hasbro <3 Money

They wouldn't be a very good corporation if they didn't make tons of money off of something,now would they?Twilicon is obviously a cash-in attempt on Hasbro's part,but it doesn't mean they're evil.It's just corporate greed.

As long as the show is good,I could care less what Hasbro forces upon the writing staff just to boost sales.

Edited by CaptainBlue808

I thnk it is all based on ratings and views. Yes MLP has a HUGE fanbase but you get people grumbling about a BIG change around others well wham bam thank you ma'ame you just got a butload of new viewers. Human curiosity...... They know how to twist our arms and they aren't afraid to do it!

I thought the team was eventually going to make her princess anyways...but I personally believe Hasbro pushed it to be what we are seeing now....Still think it would have been one of those "grand finales" of this entire series, then it would have really went out with a BANG! In a good way!

Seriously, if toys was the biggest thing, Hasbro is not thinking long term...How in the world could Twilight do anything more with the series (merchandise wise) if she's now a princess, a dream of everything princess loving little girl come true.  Their tastes are satisfied, so what next, can't get any higher than a god, which is obviously what she has become since it's fairly hinted at that she's Celestia's successor...

• Brohoof 2

As soon as the episode aired, I saw Alicorn Twilight toys on the shelves, but I don't think that is the reason she became an Alicorn. It might have influenced when they made her an Alicorn, but I think it was their plan all along.Twilight was always going to be Celestia's successor. But I think she is still too young to rule. She still needs time to learn how to use her new powers, as well as how to lead Equestria.