Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Is the comic better than the TV Series?

MK15

39 users have voted

1. 1. Is the comic better than the TV series?

• Yes
    • No

To be honest, I haven't read the comics, but I would like to.

Not trying to change the subject, but does anypony know where I can find these comics? I'd really like to start picking them up and reading them. Also, how often do they come out?

To be honest, I haven't read the comics, but I would like to.

Not trying to change the subject, but does anypony know where I can find these comics? I'd really like to start picking them up and reading them. Also, how often do they come out?

Well I asked this same question and I got an answer. So I will share what I have learned.

For physical copies

You can try to find some at your local comic store, but sometimes they may not have it. In that case go to comic websites and maybe eBay. You WILL find copies for sale online of you want a physical copy.

For digital copies

If you have say an iPad, you can get it on iTunes or get it from the Comixopoly app. I'm sure that android products will have a comic app as well that will allow you to buy the comics.

Good luck :)

• Brohoof 2

Well I asked this same question and I got an answer. So I will share what I have learned.

For physical copies

You can try to find some at your local comic store, but sometimes they may not have it. In that case go to comic websites and maybe eBay. You WILL find copies for sale online of you want a physical copy.

For digital copies

If you have say an iPad, you can get it on iTunes or get it from the Comixopoly app. I'm sure that android products will have a comic app as well that will allow you to buy the comics.

Good luck :)

Thank you. :)

I would prefer a physical copy of the comics since I'm old fashioned like that. Problem is, I don't know where the heck I would find them. I have no idea if and where there's any nearby comic shops around here, but I guess I'll have to look.

Thank you. :)

I would prefer a physical copy of the comics since I'm old fashioned like that. Problem is, I don't know where the heck I would find them. I have no idea if and where there's any nearby comic shops around here, but I guess I'll have to look.

Well I think I can help you with that.

Check out this website

http://www.comicshoplocator.com/Home/1/1/57/575

This may help you find a comic book store nearby.

If this does not help then just google search "local comic book store" usually it will show your results on the map near your surrounding area.

If you rather buy the comics online to be shipped to you there are several websites that you can buy online such as toywiz.com or you can just go to eBay.

As for prices I think that they may very depending where you buy them. I don't know for sure so I can't tell you how much they cost. I can tell you that the newest one that came out is more expensive then the rest. The first ones are cheaper. You should wait to buy the newest one so you save money. But if not then okay.

Hopes this helps. :)

• Brohoof 1

Well I think I can help you with that.

Check out this website

http://www.comicshoplocator.com/Home/1/1/57/575

This may help you find a comic book store nearby.

If this does not help then just google search "local comic book store" usually it will show your results on the map near your surrounding area.

If you rather buy the comics online to be shipped to you there are several websites that you can buy online such as toywiz.com or you can just go to eBay.

As for prices I think that they may very depending where you buy them. I don't know for sure so I can't tell you how much they cost. I can tell you that the newest one that came out is more expensive then the rest. The first ones are cheaper. You should wait to buy the newest one so you save money. But if not then okay.

Hopes this helps. :)

Thanks, I should have just done a quick search myself. You've been very helpful. :)

There's a few shops that aren't that far away. Even one that's a mere two miles. I'll have to check it out some time and see if they carry MLP comics. I used to know where to buy comics, but since I moved recently, it's a bit more difficult.

Thanks again.

I ordered the first two issues online, and purchased the third at a local comic book store.  I also got issue #1 of the micro-series at a local store.  Most comic book stores will set aside new issues of a book that you want, and then contact you to let you know that it is in.  You just have to ask for a box.  

They are both great! The comics adds more enjoyment to what the TV series has already brought forth to us. I love love reading extra things about this show whether it be fan-fictions to comics whatever. It makes the show even more enjoyable than it already is.

Is it sad that I havn't read the comics yet? ._,

It's not that I don't want to, but every comic store I go to they don't have it.

Any ideas because I really want to read them.

Is there an app that lets me buy them online?

Unless it's a very small store, your local Hot Topic should carry them. Comic Book stores most likely wouldn't have them unless they carry IDW comics. Alternatively, you can order the physical copies from several different comic book websites (most will have a different variant cover), or from Hot Topic's website (these also have exclusive variant covers).

You can also use iTunes to download a digital copy for your iPad, iPhone, or iTouch.

Howdy all!

The comics bring out more of a open audience.

(No just the kiddies)

I usuallly pick up my copy at the local comic book shop.

(Just picked up volume 4 yesterday)

But yeah I like it.

Its like a side story from the TV part of the show.

Cant wait for more!

There are two comic book stores in the city where I work.  Both of them carry the "Friendship is Magic" comics.  A guy in one of the stores said that they had been selling like hotcakes, so they started carrying some MLP toys as well.  

Today I picked up issue #4 and signed up to have them put aside new issues for me.

Yay for the first completed story line!

I don't think it's a fair comparison to make, honestly. Comic books and television are diffrent in the way they operate and entertain. But hey, if you want to get analytical about it:

WHY THE SHOW IS BETTER:

• Larger amount of content over a short time span.
  • It's the show that he comic book is based off of. Everything the show does affects the story of the comic. While the comic may be canon (I think), they can't really have any game-changing storylines or character development.
  • Has moving images and sound and what not.
  • More slice of life, which is what FiM is best at.
  • Less papercuts.

WHY THE COMIC IS BETTER:

• You get a comic every month, as oppoused to having to wait during a hiatus.
  • Writers and artists are allowed to get much darker than the show can (at least right now).
  • A crap ton more refrences.
  • More epic storylines and action sequences.
  • Constant cycling of talent creating content to give each story a unique flavor as oppoused to one team that has to write each and every story.
  • [Wishful thinking] There's a lot more opportunities to create spinoffs and panda-tossing fan-centric content. A seond micro series focusing on popular background characters would be boss. Just sayin'.

As wonderfully as the comic has turned out, the show is just better by default. But again, It's a bit pointless to compare the two.

I wouldn't say yes, but the comic does have potential. I have a few of 'em and they are pretty good, Nice art, interesting story. I'd say there both really good. I couldn't possible choose between them.

Definitively better than Season 3, that's for sure xD

I like how the comics are more true to the characters, I love the plot of the current one, it would of even made a good episode.

• Brohoof 1

• 1 year later...

No!! I really don't like the comic, it's too different from the show. I don't recognize the characters from it....

Edited by Blobulle

I think of the comics as a great companion to the show; though I still prefer the television series.  What I've read of the FIM comics (I think about eight issues / two volumes) has been really enjoyable, but I personally get a fuller experience from the animated series.  Were it not for the show, I wouldn't be able to hear the ponies' voices in my head whilst reading the comic lol. xD

No.

The comic has issues that are better than the show itself, yes. Rarity's micro-series would've been my favorite episode if it were in the show before RTM aired, and it's really close to RTM in terms of how much I enjoy it. A *close* second. 

The Manehattan Mysteries arc was also better than 90% of the episodes put out, Friends Forever #8 was the most fun I've had with MLP in a long long time, and the Return of Chrysalis was damned good in its own right.

With these high achievements, though, come some epic failures. "Nightmare Rarity" and (apparantly) the Reflections arc just transcend suck (haven't read the last one, but it gets scathed everywhere I look, it feels like, so I'll just assume that the majority is correct until I read it for myself and am able to form my own opinion on it) and then I hear a lot of bad about a lot of the Friends Forever series, some of the main series, and basically it's just extremely inconsistent in terms of quality.

Some are INSANELY good, while others just flat-out suck.

The show, on the other hand, isn't free from missing the pitch. "Sonic Rainboom" is something I get angry just talking about, and it has had a few other misses as well. 

One thing I DO like about the show, though, is that it's not very inconsistent. There's been 91 episodes or something like that, and I've only actually disliked two, while there are 4 or 5 others I'm just "meh" on. Out of 91 episodes, I've enjoyed every single one of them but 6 or 7 - and that's a MUCH better ratio than I have with the comics, because for me, it feels like the comics are either knocking it out of the park or swinging and missing at a pitch in the dirt.

Because of that, I like the show better than the comics :D

Well, I do believe the show to be better, but the comics are not that far off. I mean, when the comics pull off an arc as epic & engaging as Reflections while pulling off genius slice of life stuff like "Art of the Gazebo Repair," then the show is in for some competition.

• Brohoof 1

Hi guys. Recentely I've seen, that many bronies think that the Comic is better than TV Series, but that actually make me sad.... why? Because if the comic would replace the series... I would miss the main 6's voices.... so I wanna ask you: for you the Comic Book is better than the Show itself? 

Well short answer is neither.

The thing is each has it's pro's and con's.  Both are limited by length, the show is 18mins run time, while a comic is litmed by the number of pages. however a comic on the other hand doesn't have to worry about rushing scenes to fit in other ones. It can take it's time and thus have better moment at story telling. 

The show has the advantages of acutally seeing drama and such conveyed not just though words, but though music, voices, the envirement itself. 

So in short I can't say one is 'better' then the other really.

I'm not voting in that poll, because I also think neither is better. The show has voice acting and animation on its side, as well as a consistent art style, and songs don't translate well into comics. The comics are consistent with the show IMHO, and though the switches in art style take some getting used to, that adds an extra layer of variety to the comics. The comics can also get darker than the show, and the four part epic storylines are great IMHO, as are the shorter and more silly ones. The one off stories in the Micro Series and Friends Forever are also great for exploring the various members of the cast and their relationship to other characters. As a B-canon/expanded universe type companion to the show, I like the comics a lot. I think they go hand in hand with the show though.

I love (most) of the comics! Their adventure arcs like Return of Chrysalis and Reflections, in my opinion, are on par with any of the two parter episodes. Then you've got issues like Zen and the Art of Gazeebo Repair and many of the Friends Forever issues that can be as good as the slice of life episodes. I think the comics are well worth it.