Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Is the comic better than the TV Series?

MK15

39 users have voted

1. 1. Is the comic better than the TV series?

• Yes
    • No

Hi guys. Recentely I've seen, that many bronies think that the Comic is better than TV Series, but that actually make me sad.... why? Because if the comic would replace the series... I would miss the main 6's voices.... so I wanna ask you: for you the Comic Book is better than the Show itself? 

(edited)

Oh heck no, and I've read three of the four issues so far.  I'll say this, though; to the comic's credit, it's gotten about as close down to nailing the show's formula, in story telling, characterization, and even humor, as a comic book ever could.  Seriously, if you haven't yet, check it out, it's worth the read!  Really fun story that's very true to the show, at least I think so, and the art's very good as well.  :)

Edited by Batbrony
  • Brohoof 1

Oh heck no, and I've read three of the four issues so far.  I'll say this, though; to the comic's credit, it's gotten about as close down to nailing the show's formula, in story telling, characterization, and even humor, as a comic book ever could.  Seriously, if you haven't yet, check it out, it's worth the read!  Really fun story that's very true to the show, at least I think so, and the art's very good as well.  :)

I've read all the four numbers, and even I loved it, I don't want that it could replace the cartoon itself... That's it. It's this the reason I don't want to consider the comic superior to the show....

(edited)

I've read all the four numbers, and even I loved it, I don't want that it could replace the cartoon itself... That's it. It's this the reason I don't want to consider the comic superior to the show....

Like I said, I don't think it is either, but I do think that it gets about as close to capturing the show's formula as a comic book ever could, and hey, I have nothing wrong with that, cause all the means is more ponies for me!  :wub:

Edited by Batbrony

At the risk of sounding unpopular. Yes. Don't get me wrong the show is excellent BUT..

This comic feels more like a brony comic than a pony comic. Like take all of the, I don't wanna say edgy but.. Older-viewer appreciative moments in the TV and condense it a hundredfold in every page and you got this comic. Plus through in some great humor and a story that feels like a VERY good MLP fanfic and you have a real winner in my book.

One of the benefits of the comic book format is that story arcs don't feel limited to 23 minutes and writers can tell real epics with these characters. I'm looking forward to where the story goes after the Chrysalis arc.

• Brohoof 1

Hello!

Well... No...

Comics are interesting (Not Manga, don't get them mixed up...), but they won't ever be as good as a TV show...  I can safely say the same for My little Pony. Even without having read a single page of the comic, i'm 100% sure, that the comics are behind the show.

I haven't read the comic, but one of the big appeals of MLP is the voice work and animation. So in a comic; you lose all of that. Which would be a bit off, seeing as I started watching MLP for such things.

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

Hi guys. Recentely I've seen, that many bronies think that the Comic is better than TV Series, but that actually make me sad.... why? Because if the comic would replace the series... I would miss the main 6's voices.... so I wanna ask you: for you the Comic Book is better than the Show itself? 

Not better just different. You can tell its been more aimed at us from the visual jokes and film references it makes. I mean the latest one had a moment taken straight from Labyrinth. The good thing about the comic is that it can be more risqué and it shows some sides to the characters that they just couldn't put in the show. Lastly it's great for fan fic writers because its given an expanded world to work with.

Edited by Fridge

I've read the first 4 issues, and it's pretty good. A lot darker in tone than the show, with definitely some more Brony-friendly elements, and it is better than the worst episodes of the show, but not the best episodes. And it doesn't feature the voice talents of Tara Strong, Ashleigh Ball, Rebecca St Germain, or Andrea Libman. So... someone up there said "not better, but different." Probably this. And on the subject of comics never being better than the show, Archie's Sonic was better than the show it was based on. And the game. :D (Oh, I should've posted that in the "Unpopular Opinions" thread!)

I've read the first 4 issues, and it's pretty good. A lot darker in tone than the show, with definitely some more Brony-friendly elements, and it is better than the worst episodes of the show, but not the best episodes. And it doesn't feature the voice talents of Tara Strong, Ashleigh Ball, Rebecca St Germain, or Andrea Libman. So... someone up there said "not better, but different." Probably this. And on the subject of comics never being better than the show, Archie's Sonic was better than the show it was based on. And the game. :D (Oh, I should've posted that in the "Unpopular Opinions" thread!)

I pretty much agree with this (although it's Tabitha St Germain). I had written a long post explaining my opinion but I lost it by accidentally quiting my browser. In a nutshell, here's what I had written: 

-No it won't replace the show because this is aimed at bronies and Hasbro is mainly interested in selling toys to little girls so killing off what is aimed at them (the show) wouldn't make sense from a business POV. It might outlive it but not replace it.

-I don't think it's better, it's different and just as good but I kind of miss the candid nature of the show in the comics.  

I've only read issues #1, #2 & #3 so far and can't wait for #4 to get here :)

Well, I have read the first 3 comics and I have to say I would be in the maybe category. I think the comic has a much better story going on then any of the episode of season 3, but the show can bring in some good music and have better dialog here and there. 

So the comic won't replace the show.

I take the comics as SOMEWHAT canon. I acknowledge they exist, though for me, if there is a contradiction, what happens in the show will always be more canon than the comics.

It's too early to tell. Both are pretty damn awesome though, and if the Return of Queen Chrysalis was a two-parter on the show, it'd easily be in my top ten favorite episodes. But that was just one arc. It'll take a bit more before I can say for sure.

I like the comics a lot, but I would certainly not say that they are better than the show.  I am not worried that the comics will "replace" the show.  It is just a way to expand on the "Friendship is Magic" universe. 

Is it sad that I havn't read the comics yet? ._,

It's not that I don't want to, but every comic store I go to they don't have it.

Any ideas because I really want to read them.

Is there an app that lets me buy them online?

So far no, but it is still early so the comic could rival the show in terms of quality the comic is off to a very good start and I look forward to seeing where it goes though.

From what I've heard, the comic's gotten alot of criticism for being "bad". I personally don't see how it's bad at all. I find the comic to be a good supplementary story to the show, but not a replacement. The comic is close in nailing Friendship is Magic's formula, but it's missing alot of what made FiM so appealing: the animation and voice acting.

I plan on getting every issue, myself. But to say that it's better or going to replace the show, is just down right silly.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

The comic only has one story under it's belt. I say it's way to early to say it's better.

Though based on today's released issue. I'm enjoying it's portrayal of Celestia more. Lol. Even if it lasted only a few pages.

Edited by himanuts

Well, since I seem to be the only person having voted 'Yes' I might just as well give my reasoning.

To make it short, I prefer a non forced medium to a forced one anytime. So a comic which I can read when I want to, while listening to music I like is just more fun to me. Obviously the show is good. It has a strong and talented team behind it and does several things right. Story isn't one of them though. It's not really a specific episode that is standing out, but the fact that they try to make a fully contained story in 20 minutes just shows way too much. Too often it jumps from one thing to another, not giving you time to breath or appreciate what happens. In a comic you can just wait, re-read the page to make sure you didn't miss anything or look at all the details that are everywhere.

• Brohoof 1

It's not that I don't want to, but every comic store I go to they don't have it.

If you have an iPad you can get them on the book store app there, that's how I do it.

I'm sure android tablets etc must have a similar thing.

• Brohoof 1

No, but the comics still have potential. It just needs the good animation and the other things that the show has. Pretty much, the comics are coming off to a good start.

Well. Not to me. I think they are equally good. But I'd like to give my opinion on something.

Comics and TV shows have different ways of being enjoyed with. The idea is that you both outlets manage to give an enjoyable experience to its readers/watchers.

So a lot of the times, the difference will be on whether one likes reading comics, or likes watching TV shows better. The other part of the difference to me, is how brony-orientated both parts are.

For example, the comic has MUCH more leeway than the show to do not only brony related stuff, but even MORE injokes, and being darker than the show has been able to be. So a lot of people can judge both things based on that. But this doesn't make the show better or worse, and it also applies for the comic.

In my opinion, both things are MARVELOUS in both their outlets, and with their restrictions or freedoms, and would replace neither. :)

I think each one has it's weaknesses and strengths, and each is good in a certain way. I'd say their both on equal footing, just in different styles.

To bring up the factors:

Art: Equal, the show is good for cute, but the comic is good for humor and interesting expressions. The comic is also better with more dynamic shots. 

Story: The comic is better at adventure and snarky humor, the show is better at slice of life and cute humor.

Shout-outs, the comic has the edge here because it can be a bit blatant. 

But the show has the awesome soundtrack and voice acting, so that's it's special plus.

You can buy them digitally from iTunes and Comixology. You can also find physical copies on many comic websites and all over on eBay.

• Brohoof 1

Personally, I feel the comics are DEFINITLY geared for the older audience. The tv show is geared for little girls, which may seem why the comics are better. But for me, the tv show is better