Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Is Rainbow Dash a hated character?

MJNSEIFER

(edited)

>sure is 2010 around here

IMO, rainbow dash has fallen HUGELY in how important/iconic she is. Pinkie pie and twilight VASTLY trump her now, she's not really that big anymore, and not nearly the iconic character of the series.

Pinkie? Maybe in terms of merch in that she's kind of on all the merch banners or whatever you want to call them but in terms of having a solid fanbase I hardly ever see hardcore Pinkie Pie fans anymore, I see them even less than hard Applejack fans honestly. Hell even in terms of fanworks she now consistently gets less than Fluttershy and gets about as much or less than Rarity.

Pinkie is incredibly marketable because of her design but she's not especially popular compared to some other characters.

Edited by M'gann M'orzz

Pinkie? Maybe in terms of merch in that she's kind of on all the merch banners or whatever you want to call them but in terms of having a solid fanbase I hardly ever see hardcore Pinkie Pie fans anymore, I see them even less than hard Applejack fans honestly. 

Amongst bronies maybe, but I think she probably has a much large fanbase amongst the target audience than she does with the bronies. (proportionally). They wouldn't make THAT much merch and plaster her front and center on so much advertising if she wasn't popular with the kids, it just wouldn't make sense, yeah?

(edited)

Amongst bronies maybe, but I think she probably has a much large fanbase amongst the target audience than she does with the bronies. (proportionally). They wouldn't make THAT much merch and plaster her front and center on so much advertising if she wasn't popular with the kids, it just wouldn't make sense, yeah?

Sure they would, marketable design= even girls who don't really watch the show will buy toys of her. Rainbow is kind of in the same boat though to my experience she's significantly more popular among both bronies and the target audience than Pinkie Pie. Twilight isn't really but she has main character privilage basically.

Edited by M'gann M'orzz

It seems to go one of two ways with no gray area. Either somebody loves her to death or they can't stand her for her arrogance, which really isn't that bad compared to some characters in other entertainment or even real people I've seen.

Remember Mori Kibbutz? You thought Brucie was bad, but oh my GOSH, Mori is the worst.

Sure they would, marketable design= even girls who don't really watch the show will buy toys of her. Rainbow is kind of in the same boat though to my experience she's significantly more popular among both bronies and the target audience than Pinkie Pie. Twilight isn't really but she has main character privilage basically.

I really wish there was a good bit of info available for how each of the characters sold, percentage wise of the quarters merchandise sales.

I'd really like to know how the characters stack up against each other, of if the jumbo deluxe toys (like midnight sparkle) actually sold well or what. Be interesting to see if sunset is selling well in EQG as well compared to the others.

It seems to go one of two ways with no gray area. Either somebody loves her to death or they can't stand her for her arrogance, which really isn't that bad compared to some characters in other entertainment or even real people I've seen.

Remember Mori Kibbutz? You thought Brucie was bad, but oh my GOSH, Mori is the worst.

Im pretty middle of the road on Rainbow actually, I like her but nowhere near as much as I like Rarity or Applejack and bellow Pinkie Pie as well. but I like her more than Twilight or Fluttershy.

I really wish there was a good bit of info available for how each of the characters sold, percentage wise of the quarters merchandise sales.

I'd really like to know how the characters stack up against each other, of if the jumbo deluxe toys (like midnight sparkle) actually sold well or what. Be interesting to see if sunset is selling well in EQG as well compared to the others.

Well Rainbow and Pinkie have been the most merched characters for years followed by Twilight so it must be those 2 followed by Twilight for the top 3, then Fluttershy and Rarity are presumably pretty close with Fluttershy slightly edging out since she gets the barest bit more merch and then Applejack far behind to the point where she's left out of stuff like McDonalds promotions and such in favor of totally random characters. This is all just going by the AMOUNT of merch they get, I would guess they make more of character that tend to sell more, but I think marketable design is as important as character popularity when it comes to sales.

(edited)
To be fair, Twilight elicits a similar reaction in debates as well.

And usually it's equally bullshit for her as well. We usually can't go a month without "Twilight is a Mary Sue" topics popping up once a month  :P

Edited by Megas
  • Brohoof 2

Well Rainbow and Pinkie have been the most merched characters for years followed by Twilight so it must be those 2 followed by Twilight for the top 3, then Fluttershy and Rarity are presumably pretty close with Fluttershy slightly edging out since she gets the barest bit more merch and then Applejack far behind to the point where she's left out of stuff like McDonalds promotions and such in favor of totally random characters. This is all just going by the AMOUNT of merch they get, I would guess they make more of character that tend to sell more, but I think marketable design is as important as character popularity when it comes to sales.

I'm actually more interested in seeing how Sunset's sales are doing compared to the other mane six given her push, toywise and focus wise, in the EQG series. You'd think she should be topping the charts given them giving her a special time to shine doll and extra focus, so I'd be curious if that's matching up.

I don't hate her, she just isn't that interesting to me.

...Tomboy isn't a flattering term? I always thought of it as more as a descriptive of an athletic girl. Which I think Rainbow Dash would definitely qualify as.

(edited)

I dislike the fact that she's a hotheaded narcissist, but I guess that's just her character :/

Edit: tbh she's not nearly as bad when she's not completely focused on herself, such as some parts of the pilot and "tanks for the memories" (just naming a couple off the top of my head)

Edited by @lpha
  • Brohoof 1

How is she the most hated? I think she is the most liked in the fandom.

2011 yes, not currently though.

She's at least doing better than she was around S3, that was probably the lowest she's ever been in the popularity department (I blame S2 doing REALLY shittily with dash).

I kind of wonder where dash would be at currently if the writers hadn't handled so horrible in S2 and sank her popularity...

Rainbow Dash is an icon for Bronies and definitely not a hated character. She has haters, but so does everyone else. 

If any of the Mane Six are hated characters, it's Rarity. (She's popular on this forum but not to the general population.)

Luna is far better than Rainbow Dash, but somebody I know won't agree with me XD

I don't agree with you. As a Rainbow Dash fan, Rainbow beats Luna. Also, I prefer Princess Celestia. (That is a very unpopular opinion most Bronies will disagree with.)

• Brohoof 3

Actually i hate those people in rl, but i like Rainbow Dash more the longer the show runs. She is so naive which makes her cute, she was never really mean like a Lightning Dust and i really like her character development.

Tbh, AJ annoys me more regarding things like to feel better than others.

• Brohoof 1

i don't hate RD, but sometimes the writers infuriate me. i never had too big of an issue with RD having flaws and aside from a couple episodes centered on her not being the best, i never had any issues with a RD episode until Tanks For The memories where she basically goes insane and destroys the weather factory without repercussion all because she wasn't going to be able to play with her pet in the winter. i downgraded her on my favorite pony list since then, but she is still within the top 5 for me.  B)

If any of the Mane Six are hated characters, it's Rarity. (She's popular on this forum but not to the general population.)

I really wonder how well she does amongst the target audience; she seems to be well liked amongst adults due to subverting the normal "Horrible fashion obsessed character" stereotype that everyone who likes fashion tends to fall into in TV, but she's constantly left out of the sets aimed at kids, like Mcdonalds sets.

it makes me think that the little kids don't seem to get her like adults due.

I really wonder how well she does amongst the target audience; she seems to be well liked amongst adults due to subverting the normal "Horrible fashion obsessed character" stereotype that everyone who likes fashion tends to fall into in TV, but she's constantly left out of the sets aimed at kids, like Mcdonalds sets.

it makes me think that the little kids don't seem to get her like adults due.

My 7 year old niece has a Rarity plushie, if that means anything.

Is tomboy an insult? I guess one could say it's a sexist term, but if that's the case, calling Rarity or Fluttershy "girly" could arguably be sexist too. I'm offended by neither term and don't see why that was mentioned as an example of RD hate.

She's my least favourite mane 6. I think she has the worst personality traits of all of them.

Those traits are exactly what make her way more entertaining that somepony like, say... Applejack.

• Brohoof 1

I understand some people find those moments where she acts selfish or arrogant endearing but I don't, and she's prone to it more than the rest the 6. To be fair though she usually feels guilty and makes things right afterwards. And I hate Mysterious Mare Do Well for its bad moral, just made the rest of the mane 6 look jealous and petty.

• Brohoof 1