Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Princess Twilight Sparkle's new wings

TanktheTortoise

58 users have voted

1. 1. Will Twilight forget about her wings during a time when they would be helpful?

• Yes
    • No

Though, Meghan McCarthy announced in her Twitter feed that there will be fifty-three new alicorns, hopefully all of whom would still have a normal lifespan like everypony else except Celestia and Luna.  A Council of Alicorn Princesses, perhaps?

That was just a joke... She was asked if there would be anymore alicorns, and she came up with a random, big number. There probably isn't going to be a single new alicorn introduced in Season 4. (though I could be wrong.) But there definitely will not be 53... 

• Brohoof 2

That settles that: Twilight needs a jetpack.

Haha, but seriously, I never really had a problem with Twilicorn. A pair of wings doesn't really change too much in my opinion.

However, whenever I see Optimus' new ability to fly, it almost takes me back to Twilight Sparkle's own similar upgrade, where she also earns the power to fly, just with wings rather than a jetpack. Another thing Optimus' jetpack had in common with Twilight's wings, was that they also left the two leaders' respective teammates in the dust in-terms of physical/magical development, as well as character development.

Physically perhaps. Twilight was fairly overpowered anyway in my opinion, and I doubt becoming an Alicorn does much in the way of rectifying that, but I'd dispute the character development angle. While Twilight has certainly come a long way since the first episode, I would also argue that she is far from leaving the rest of the Mane Six in the dust in that regard. Rainbow Dash in particular has development that is actually comparable to Twilight's in my opinion(which is fairly impressive given how much time was set aside to showcase Twilight's growth relative to Dash's). While I am concerned that from this point forward the show will focus on Twilight more than I want it too (since it already does), I don't feel that you can make that conclusion yet. Applejack, Fluttershy, etc, deserve more credit for how they've developed.

• Brohoof 1

Maybe because it wasn't a sudden forced change that destroyed legions of headcanon like Twilicorn? Simply giving someone a new ability isn't in itself a bad thing. It's when they overdo it and make them overpowered (such as having all the ponies bowing down to Twilight) that it starts to take away from story. Whereas with Transformers, I'm guesing that it's probably no big deal because they change shape all the time.

I don't think Twilight is going to forget she has wings, seeing as they are an attachment to her body and not a spell. She may still use magic to do things, but thats just because she may still be getting use to wings and not having to use them every day.

Also I have to disagree with you on her forgetting the teleporting spell in Feeling Pinkie Keen. I think she was still trying to master that spell at season 1 and was still working on it. Yes she used it Applebuck season, but she was not teleporting far away to keep up with Applejack and she was not being chased by a Hydra. Kinda hard to use a spell under presser.

Maybe because it wasn't a sudden forced change that destroyed legions of headcanon like Twilicorn? Simply giving someone a new ability isn't in itself a bad thing. It's when they overdo it and make them overpowered (such as having all the ponies bowing down to Twilight) that it starts to take away from story. Whereas with Transformers, I'm guesing that it's probably no big deal because they change shape all the time.

Well yeah, they bowed down cause she's a princess and that's a normal custom. I don't really see how the twilicorn thing just destroys so much. We haven't even seen season 4 so we don't really know where they're going with this. I personally think it's going to be a temporary thing, but even if it wasn't I don't really see how it makes her overpowered (since I thought she was kind of overpowered from the start).

Why not? Both Optimus Prime and Twilight Sparkle have the ability to transform into a Peterbilt Model 379 semi truck, so why is flight so much of an issue?

Meghan McCarthy announced in her Twitter feed that there will be fifty-three new alicorns

Wouldn't it be funny if it turns out she was actually serious? It's such a ridiculous number, she could totally get away with it too.

• Brohoof 1

Wouldn't it be funny if it turns out she was actually serious? It's such a ridiculous number, she could totally get away with it too.

What if... Alicorn  United nations.

Boss Alicorn: Okay before we start this meeting lets all welcome Twilight sparkle to the meeting.

Alicorn no 2: Too tired.

Boss Alicorn: Bob get your plot off the chair and welcome twilight or I will kick your ass

Bob: Bring it on old man.

And so did the great alicorn war began

• 2 weeks later...

Wow.

You have such a point there!

I think she may forget for maybe two seconds.

Maybe she'll be like, "Ahhh, what are we going to do?!" and cover her eyes with her wings before adding sheepishly, "Oh yeah. I forgot."
That would be funny, and maybe would make up for her becoming an alicorn in the first place!

(but I still haven't changed my opinion.)

Yeah maybe in the first epsodes with her being a alicorn. And since she just turned into a princess, she will need some help learning. I'm hoping there be a whole episode, with just twilight learning how to fly right.

Highly doubt it, I don't think pulling a spell from your horn is as blatant as having actual, physical wings you can feel on your back. Sure Twilight can feel she can magic, but I can't believe she can constantly remember and feel every spell she can preform. The wings will be a part of her body. I rarely forget that I have and arm or a leg. She may for a split second, not think about using her wings, most likely for comic relief. But I think if she's staring over a gaping hole in the earth she isn't going to take a running jump for it. 

okay that will be pretty hilarious if it happens.

i can just see her falling off a cliff, screaming for rainbow dash to save her.

"oh right, i have wings now. heh heh? *blush"

She would probably forget since this is the first time she has wings. Twilight will forget at some point, then after a few episodes she will remember that she has wings.

When you stop to think about it, it’s almost redundant for Twilight to get wings.  She has pretty much already conquered gravity with her magic.  She has long been a virtuoso with telekinesis (Boast Busters and Magic Duel) including self-levitation to break her fall in The Crystal Empire.  She used another spell to reverse the flow of gravity in CE as well.  And I would be remiss if I didn’t mention the wings and flight powers she gave Rarity in Sonic Rainboom.  Finally, if she wasn’t caught off guard by the tornado in Wonderbolt Academy , she probably could’ve saved herself and her friends too. 

This is a non-canon footnote, but I’m going to throw it out for discussion anyway.  Logically, any unicorn who is highly skilled with magic should be capable of effective flight spells.  Thus when MAD TV did their parodies, they show Twilight flying as a unicorn.  Some fans complained about it, but given Twily’s ability, it’s not much of a stretch at all. 

I just find it ironic that, after years mastering skills to defy gravity with magic, Twilight can now fly naturally.  tongue.png

• Brohoof 3

(edited)

Well yeah, they bowed down cause she's a princess and that's a normal custom

Exactly! And because of that, she is no longer a social outcast. This completely removes one of her biggest weaknesses. Remember back when Twilight struggled to be heard? And whenever she was heard, nopony would ever listen to her. They'd just laugh it off and ignore her. But with her being a princess, suddenly everypony is submitting to her authority. Just in that way alone, combined with the fact that she can effortlessly fly toward the screen in a fancy dress is more than enough to feel overpowered.

...We don't really know where they're going with this.

^This. This, my friends is the direction they're trying to take this show. They've recently been giving an unusual and unfair amount of attention to Twilight Sparkle alone with her friends seeming more and more inferior every week. Sure, she may be the main protagonist, but even that doesn't make up for the "Show off Twilight Sparkle and then turn her into a sellout Mary-Sue princess and then a Barbie princess in high school" attitude that they've been showing recently. Add to that the fact that the writers have become too self-absorbed to realize that such decisions are not doing the franchise any good. They want no more than to turn Twilight into a princess to bring even more attention to her. That way they can use her as a tool to get more toys on the shelves. Equestria Girls shows how out of character Twilight has become.

Edited by Dolphanatic
  • Brohoof 1

Yes, but for non-practical reasons (very unlike her), they can be still be used. Wings can make the person (or pony in this case) appear more majestic which would be a good characteristic for a princess.

• Brohoof 1

The princesses, Luna and Celestia more so than Cadence, seem to stretch their wings in that dramatic way for affect. So I agree that the alicorn wings, which have a different look than those of a normal Pegesus, are their to give them "princess" look. It's also true that the alicorn is supped to have the traits of all three races so by default they have to have wings.

Does she want to look majestic?

She's also taller now. Does she need it?

It's not like she can reach higher places now. I guess she's having a better view in crowd and sticks out among ponies like a sore thumb.

(edited)

Does she want to look majestic?

She's also taller now. Does she need it?

It's not like she can reach higher places now. I guess she's having a better view in crowd and sticks out among ponies like a sore thumb.

She's not much taller and some have argued she's not actually taller at all, but I'm guessing she will grow larger over time. She's supposed to stick out a bit as a princess. In truth being an outsider in Ponyville, Celestia's student/representative, and a poweful Unicorn marked her as different but just not in a physical way. Edited by Nature Spell

She's definitely taller and it can be seen in the EqG trailer.

Why a mare supposed to be tall and be an alicorn to become a princess while it isn't required for stallions? It's akin suggesting that girls should undergo a cosmetic surgery to be allowed to be recognized.

She's definitely taller and it can be seen in the EqG trailer.

Why a mare supposed to be tall and be an alicorn to become a princess while it isn't required for stallions? It's akin suggesting that girls should undergo a cosmetic surgery to be allowed to be recognized.

We've not seen any male Alicorns, but if we did I'm guessing they would be taller than a standard stallion too. I'd have to rewatch the trailer.

You said that royalties are supposed to stick out.

But neither Shining Armor nor Prince Blueblood is an alicorn. They didn't have to undergo any transformation to become a prince.

• Brohoof 1

You said that royalties are supposed to stick out.

But neither Shining Armor nor Prince Blueblood is an alicorn. They didn't have to undergo any transformation to become a prince.

No I said princesses look different and since Alicorns=princess and vise versa she has to have wings. Again, the alicorn is a mixture of all the pony races.

Now bringing in Shining Armor isn't fair because he's only a prince by marriage. Blue Blood also can't be used to support anything since it is clear he was created to just be Rarity's "prince" in Best Night Ever. He is simply a background pony for all purposes.