Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Princess Twilight Sparkle's new wings

TanktheTortoise

58 users have voted

1. 1. Will Twilight forget about her wings during a time when they would be helpful?

• Yes
    • No

(edited)

Okay bear with me.  Several times in the series Twilight has forgotten about abilities that would help her in various situations.  In Pinkie Keen she forgot she can teleport.  In Owls well that ends well she forgot she had a spell for lighting up her horn.  She wouldn't have remembered that she knew the gem spell in Dog and Pony had Spike not reminded her.  While these are all Season 1 I believe this is a pattern with her.  She has a tendency to get so worked up she forgets basic things.  My question is will there be a time where she forgets she has wings in the upcoming season(s)?

I'm interested in others opinions on this subject.

Edit: Just remembered another situation where she forgot something important.  In Bridle Gossip she uses her magic to levitate her brush before finding out about her horn.  After that though she doesn't use magic for the rest of the episode despite proof that she can.

Edited by TanktheTortoise
  • Brohoof 7

Alright. You have a legit point here.

I say that she might forget she has wings several times, especially due to the fact that she just got them. Heck, if a pair of wings sprouted out of my back, I might forget that they were there sheerly because they were foreign to me. Heh.

• Brohoof 3

I agree. She is not normally quick on the draw with her magic and often this makes things more difficult. Fluttershy is another great example of a pony who forgets things, like having wings, when under pressure.

Probably. It would be a very easy, and believable, thing to throw in during a stressful situation in the show. After being self-conditioned over a lifetime to solve problems sans wings, she would likely have to recondition herself to use them instinctively when appropriate.

Yes I could easily see her forgetting that, for most of her life she hasn't had them and now she does which I would imagine will take some getting used to. It would almost be like if any of us grew and extra pair of arms, it would probably be a tad awkward at first.

I think that being born a unicorn and becoming an Alicorn would be unbenificial, because Fred, an alicorn in the West Staines Massiv, has a unicorn mum and a pegasus dad, so that happened, said that his flight and magic are sub-standard, because he only has half as much focus on either thing, so his performance suffers sever key as a result. I hope that Twilicorn has these problems.

• Brohoof 1

I think that being born a unicorn and becoming an Alicorn would be unbenificial, because Fred, an alicorn in the West Staines Massiv, has a unicorn mum and a pegasus dad, so that happened, said that his flight and magic are sub-standard, because he only has half as much focus on either thing, so his performance suffers sever key as a result. I hope that Twilicorn has these problems.

I hope so too as it would make things far more believable and reduce the risk of her becoming a Mary Sue which the transformation being as premature as it is puts her dangerously close to.

• Brohoof 2

I bet she will. If she's had so many experiences of forgettingness, (even if only in the first season) it'll have to stay with her. Maybe even a little.

And it's something probably quite new to her. Heck, I bet she'll rarely use them. It's kinda like Cadence. She's an alicorn. But, in her appearances, she's only used her wings once, for a very short time. Besides, Twilight can just float around, and teleport on her own everywhere anyways. Wings probably wouldn't be much of a difference. They may even give her a disadvantage. What if the flying takes up more energy then using magic? She may just resort to one method at most times. 

But it's Twilly. She's...Hard. .3. 

• Brohoof 1

By the way, this was shown in Twilight's Hot Topic interview, and it really makes me excited. Even showing Twilight having problems with getting the hang of flying would be priceless, even if we never get a full-fledged flying lessons episode like I had at one point hoped.

Source: http://mlpforums.com/topic/49809-season-4-preview-info-spoilers/?p=1360337

I don't think 'forget' is as likely as simply having a rocky learning curve process. Even though she was shown flying seemingly fine in the finale, that spoiler segment given demonstrates that she is obviously by no means a natural flyer, and, having wings for the first time, is going to have bumps and crashes and other amusing things periodically until a day comes when she masters it.

How they're going to explain how she was flying perfectly at the end of the S3 finale remains completely open. Some people think S4 will pick up immediately from there, and that she's going to end up crashing. Who knows.

• Brohoof 3

Okay bear with me.  Several times in the series Twilight has forgotten about abilities that would help her in various situations.  In Pinkie Keen she forgot she can teleport.  In Owls well that ends well she forgot she had a spell for lighting up her horn.  She wouldn't have remembered that she knew the gem spell in Dog and Pony had Spike not reminded her.  While these are all Season 1 I believe this is a pattern with her.  She has a tendency to get so worked up she forgets basic things.  My question is will there be a time where she forgets she has wings in the upcoming season(s)?

I bet you're right. But I think it'll be used for humor.

Like. she and Spike are falling from a great height, and she's screaming. Spike: "Uh, Twilight?" Twilight: "Oh yeah!" *flap, flap, flap*

• Brohoof 2

A short and simple answer? She might.

For one, Twilight does not into wings. Having something suddenly stick to you for the rest of your life that may or may not be useful in any given scenario, with absolutely no training whatsoever on how to take advantage of said growth, would lead to forgetfulness, or intentional ignorance. Especially since Twilight already has access to a magical blink which she has already shown to be spammable. Her blink, for all intensive purposes, is already a dominant strategy in most scenarios when compared with flight. So chances are, aside from blatant curiosity which is sure to bloom in the pony's mind forcing her to at least attempt to use her wings, and writing which will probably attempt to make them relevant through some sort of reasoning (It's fun? It's faster? It's less straining on the horn? I dunno...) Twilight's going to pick the universal ability of blinking which she has mastered  over the more risky action of flying, in most situations that place her under duress. Instinctual reflex, as it were.

Then again, those wings need to be relevant.

Edited by Tex
  • Brohoof 2

Either Twilight will forget, or the writers will.  God knows how many times they forgot she could teleport... not to mention how many tiems Fluttershy forgot she had wings, even though she was born with them...

• Brohoof 3

I'm interested in others opinions on this subject.

Edit: Just remembered another situation where she forgot something important.  In Bridle Gossip she uses her magic to levitate her brush before finding out about her horn.  After that though she doesn't use magic for the rest of the episode despite proof that she can.

This reminds me Fluttershy on the Thuderbolt Academy episode when she was falling. She has wings, so she can use them to fly. Still, all she did was scream and fall, until someone noticed and she said "hehe."

If this happens to Fluttershy, it'll definitely happen to Twilight,

I wasn't sure one way or the other when I looked at the topic title, but the poll puts the question differently: "Will Twilight forget about her wings during a time when they would be helpful?"

Okay, with that scenario, I'm going to say yes. Because that sounds cliche and like something that would happen in a kids cartoon.

Twilight: "The cliff is crumbling! How will we escape? Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy can each carry somepony, but that still leaves two of us!"

Applejack: "Uh, Twilight, you can fly now too, y'know."

Twilight: *Lifts wings, examines them.* "Hey, you're right! We're saved!"

It will emit laughter from children, while the Bronies shall facehoof.

• Brohoof 3

I know that I spoiled the ending to last night's episode of Transformers Prime Beast Hunters with the title, and for that I'm deeply sorry.

But when I watched yesterday's episode of Transformers Prime, saw Optimus get himself resurrected by Smokescreen and the Forge of Solus Prime, and gain for himself a jetpack needed to save his teammates, I was like, "Epic, Optimus can save the day again, like always, only this time with a jetpack!"

However, whenever I see Optimus' new ability to fly, it almost takes me back to Twilight Sparkle's own similar upgrade, where she also earns the power to fly, just with wings rather than a jetpack.  Another thing Optimus' jetpack had in common with Twilight's wings, was that they also left the two leaders' respective teammates in the dust in-terms of physical/magical development, as well as character development.

The difference, though, was that I was excited to see Optimus become reborn with a jetpack, but not okay with Twilight becoming an alicorn at her friends' expenses.  Isn't this weird?

Edited by Commander_PonyShep

Not really...Twilight was pretty much always going to become a Princess and thus an Alicorn...

and what you may be forgetting is that she doesn't know how ot fly yet..so she will have to learn.

She won't leave her friends and the show will go on, the wings just introduce some interesting story plots for upcoming episodes in the next season.

Trust me, people will get used to it and love it given time ^_^

• Brohoof 2

Not really...Twilight was pretty much always going to become a Princess and thus an Alicorn...

and what you may be forgetting is that she doesn't know how ot fly yet..so she will have to learn.

She won't leave her friends and the show will go on, the wings just introduce some interesting story plots for upcoming episodes in the next season.

Trust me, people will get used to it and love it given time happy.png

Well, here's what separates Transformers Prime from My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic.

Transformers Prime was meant to be a three-season long story-arc, where the various episodes connect with each other to form a larger story.  My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, on the other hand/hoof, was meant to merely be a series of disconnected slice-of-life episodes, rather than an ongoing story-arc akin to Transformers Prime.

But then again, you may be right.  Twilight may have earned her cutie-mark from studying magic rather than ruling an entire nation, but there was a good reason why Princess Celestia was her teacher, but not somepony else, aside from her immense magical power.  Plus, aside from that powerful magic, she also united her five friends against Nightmare Moon in S1, Discord in S2, and eventually Trixie in S3.  She also organized Winter Wrap Up, after several years of Ponyville remaining disorganized and thus never completing Winter Wrap Up on-time.  And, let's not forget about the way she united Princess Cadence and Shining Armor against Queen Chrysalis and her changelings, or the way she had Spike save the Crystal Empire in her stead.

She'll still prefer studying magic over ruling a nation, but with her newly-acquired wings, she'll take everything she learned about friendship, and apply it all to uniting Equestria under a banner of friendship.  And, she'll still have her friends guiding her along the way, just as Optimus Prime will still have his Autobot teammates guiding him to victory, with or without that jetpack he received in last night's episode.

Oh, and Twilight won't be immortal, just as Cadence won't be immortal and forced to outlive Shining Armor.  I have no proof, but neither is there any proof that all alicorns are immortal, not just Princess Celestia and Luna.  Though, Meghan McCarthy announced in her Twitter feed that there will be fifty-three new alicorns, hopefully all of whom would still have a normal lifespan like everypony else except Celestia and Luna.  A Council of Alicorn Princesses, perhaps?

Well, here's what separates Transformers Prime from My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic.

Transformers Prime was meant to be a three-season long story-arc, where the various episodes connect with each other to form a larger story.  My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, on the other hand/hoof, was meant to merely be a series of disconnected slice-of-life episodes, rather than an ongoing story-arc akin to Transformers Prime.

But then again, you may be right.  Twilight may have earned her cutie-mark from studying magic rather than ruling an entire nation, but there was a good reason why Princess Celestia was her teacher, but not somepony else, aside from her immense magical power.  Plus, aside from that powerful magic, she also united her five friends against Nightmare Moon in S1, Discord in S2, and eventually Trixie in S3.  She also organized Winter Wrap Up, after several years of Ponyville remaining disorganized and thus never completing Winter Wrap Up on-time.  And, let's not forget about the way she united Princess Cadence and Shining Armor against Queen Chrysalis and her changelings, or the way she had Spike save the Crystal Empire in her stead.

She'll still prefer studying magic over ruling a nation, but with her newly-acquired wings, she'll take everything she learned about friendship, and apply it all to uniting Equestria under a banner of friendship.  And, she'll still have her friends guiding her along the way, just as Optimus Prime will still have his Autobot teammates guiding him to victory, with or without that jetpack he received in last night's episode.

Oh, and Twilight won't be immortal, just as Cadence won't be immortal and forced to outlive Shining Armor.  I have no proof, but neither is there any proof that all alicorns are immortal, not just Princess Celestia and Luna.  Though, Meghan McCarthy announced in her Twitter feed that there will be fifty-three new alicorns, hopefully all of whom would still have a normal lifespan like everypony else except Celestia and Luna.  A Council of Alicorn Princesses, perhaps?

Actually MLP:FiM does follow a story arc... It's not like the simpsons where "shit just happens" It does follow an arc, otherwise certain events would never have been mentioned in later episodes. Twilight Evolving pretty much proves that, if a show doesn't evolve then it's pretty much just the simpsons....

As for alicorns, I believe just "being" and Alicorn doesn't make you immortal, it just means your rather powerful and resepcted. What makes you immortal is the magic behind you...

Actually MLP:FiM does follow a story arc... It's not like the simpsons where "shit just happens" It does follow an arc, otherwise certain events would never have been mentioned in later episodes. Twilight Evolving pretty much proves that, if a show doesn't evolve then it's pretty much just the simpsons....

As for alicorns, I believe just "being" and Alicorn doesn't make you immortal, it just means your rather powerful and resepcted. What makes you immortal is the magic behind you...

Actually, I remember Homer's mother dying in one episode, only to reappear in his dreams in another as her death is referenced.  Likewise, Maude Flanders died, and we have Sideshow Bob constantly exacting revenge on Bart and Krusty.  I don't if it follows an exact story-arc, but the newer episodes do reference the older ones at times.  Does that mean The Simpsons is a part of an ongoing story-arc?

Edited by Commander_PonyShep

Actually, I remember Homer's mother dying in one episode, only to reappear in his dreams in another as her death is referenced.  Likewise, Maude Flanders died, and we have Sideshow Bob constantly exacting revenge on Bart and Krusty.  I don't if it follows an exact story-arc, but the newer episodes do reference the older ones at times.  Does that mean The Simpsons is a part of an ongoing story-arc?

If you think about it in a real world way, from the point of view of Hasbro, there was the whole reason for the 13 episode layout...

The show has reached the 65 episode format. That means it's easy to sell the rights to air it, which is probably what DHX media and Hasbro wanted. So why not have the season 3 finale be something akin to the final finale of any other cartoon. Be big, flashy, and have a massive twist at the end. It aids as a move into a new season, and a good end for any stations that can't afford or don't want to air ponies more than the 65 episodes... Plus, I still think she earned her place. She didn't gain wings because she needed to be more powerful, but because she was ready to become a princess. I believe she earned her wings. She's achieved the first part of her destiny and now has more to learn.

Anyway, how else are you supposed to explore more intricacies of friendship when you've begun to run dry? Simple, change something. Making Twilight a princess will likely lead to greater learning for her. Not to mention new Friendship problems to be fixed. It also opens up an excuse for Twilight. "Off being a Princess"

• Brohoof 2

I think the problem is Hasbro didn't spoil what happens for Transformers. The commercials make it look like Optimus dies and is replaced [even through we all knew they'd find a way to bring him back sooner or later.] With Twilight they just say "HEY GUYS TWILIGHT IS GOING TO BE AN ALICORN" complete with MLP marathon and....Miss America for some reason.

Also while we are on the subject of Transformers Prime, am I the only one who wants the Dinobots to be in the series just so Grimlock can fight the Predacon?

• Brohoof 1

I think both Optimus Prime's jetpack and Twilicorn were both pretty lazy. I mean, giving Twilight wings doesn't have much of a point. And why was there a coronation when she was already royalty because her brother married Cadence. If her brother was a prince, why didn't he get wings, too? This, like OP's jetpack are ploys to get more merchandise.

• Brohoof 1

I don't think it's quite different. However, they didn't  spoil what was going to happen with Transformers, and with Twilight, they advertised it everywhere.

• Brohoof 1