Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Why does Luna get most of the love while Celestia doesn't?

Lewis the Brony

I've been always been wondering to myself about this. How come Princess Celestia is the most hated/disliked/disregarded character of the show while her sister, Princess Luna gets the most attention or the most love?

What's with Molestia, Trollestia, and Tyrantlestia. Not to mention, why the Solar Empire vs the New Lunar Republic.

This has been boggling my mind for some months now. Anyone have a good reason why Luna is more better than Celestia?

Celestia is a good character, don't see as a boring character at all.

• Brohoof 12

(edited)

Because Celestia is a mean sister who sent the lovely-best-princess away to the moon.

I am being sarcastic, but it's true, Luna just has more memorable moments in the show.

Well, aren't you forgetting that at the beginning of the show that Celestia was actually hesitant that she had to sent her sister to the Moon. Also, don't forget that she wasn't Luna, she was Nightmare Moon. I know you were sarcastic but some people keep forgetting the fact and think that she just sent her to the Moon because she was jealous or something. I think its absolutely stupid.

Edited by Yesfan90125
  • Brohoof 2

(edited)

It's all because of the memes that destroyed her. Trollestia, Molestia, Tyrant Celestia...

Because of those, people think that's her real personality, thus hating her. It's all shits and giggles...

To be honest, I like both Princesses, though people seriously need to stop hating on the poor pony, think of how Nicole Oliver (her VA) thinks about all that crap.

People also hate Celestia because she banished Luna to the moon, turned Discord into stone, and that can be viewed as dictatorship in some people's eyes since they were both rulers.

Edited by Stary Dreams
  • Brohoof 7

It's all because of the memes that destroyed her. Trollestia, Molestia, Tyrant Celestia...

Because of those, people think that's her real personality, thus hating her. It's all shits and giggles...

To be honest, I like both Princesses, though people seriously need to stop hating on the poor pony, think of how Nicole Oliver (her VA) thinks about all that crap.

People also hate Celestia because she banished Luna to the moon, turned Discord into stone, and that can be viewed as dictatorship in some people's eyes since they were both rulers.

This,

And, Celestia is calculating and cool. Luna is headstrong and socially awkward. Same reason why Rainbow is so overrated popular, she's easy to relate to.

(edited)

she banished Luna to the moon, turned Discord into stone, and that can be viewed as dictatorship in some people's eyes since they were both rulers.

Luna was Nightmare Moon.

Discord had a good reason to be turned into stone, he was a malicious person who ruined pretty much everypony's life during his reign.

Dictatorship is more for Discord than Celestia.

Edited by Yesfan90125

The reason why is simply the fact that Luna is an underdog... She was banned to the moon for 1000 years, which is a long time... Also it seems like Celestia is weaker than she was in the past... The memes have also destroyed her... Also Luna is easier to relate to than Celestia because of her past, making her more popular.

Personally I like both princesses, but for different reasons... I probably like Luna more just because I'm such a night person... Also I really love Luna's brash personality and design...

Celestia I think is an actually better ruler though, due to calm and collected nature.  

• Brohoof 2

Frankly, I love Celestia because she's such a troll. I swear she enjoys trolling Twilight. And plus, I love the Trollestia tumblr. xD

• Brohoof 1

Frankly, I love Celestia because she's such a troll. I swear she enjoys trolling Twilight. And plus, I love the Trollestia tumblr. xD

Ooh. I have plenty of things to debunk about Trollestia.

In the Ticket Master, I'm pretty sure that she didn't send two tickets just to troll her, after all, she didn't really know much about the other Mane 5. Not to mention that trolling really means that you're trying to piss off someone. I don't think Celestia will want to piss someone off.

Also, she didn't troll The Cakes, she wanted to relieve some of The Cakes' stress when dealing with a ruler. And with that A Bird in the Hoof episode, Celestia just assumed that Fluttershy was good with animals so she would know how to deal with a phoenix.

Ooh. I have plenty of things to debunk about Trollestia.

In the Ticket Master, I'm pretty sure that she didn't send two tickets just to troll her, after all, she didn't really know much about the other Mane 5. Not to mention that trolling really means that you're trying to piss off someone. I don't think Celestia will want to piss someone off.

Also, she didn't troll The Cakes, she wanted to relieve some of The Cakes' stress when dealing with a ruler. And with that A Bird in the Hoof episode, Celestia just assumed that Fluttershy was good with animals so she would know how to deal with a phoenix.

It is possible to enjoy something with no logical reason or explanation. I enjoy Trollestia, I think it makes Celestia much more entertaining.

But frankly, these kinds of threads just seem to upset people all around. It's basically, "Awww, why don't people see stuff my way? Everybody knows my way is the best way! Other people who don't see stuff my way are just dumb!"

To be blunt, that is.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

I for one believe Luna gets most of the love, is because she is a misfit even when she is a princess. She is misunderstood, and alot of people can relate to that. And in my opinion, Celestia is to perfect. I don't know why, but she is.

/)

Edited by Sir.Derpington Hooves
  • Brohoof 3

(edited)

I am a huge Celestia fan because of her CANNON personality. She is a kind, gentle and very understanding as a ruler; she cares for all of her subjects (Especially Twilight and her friends) and teaches some very valuable lessons. She lacks in some character development due to not getting as much screen time, but they character she is, and could be is favorable in my veiw. I also like her due to how I can personally relate to Celestia as I had a similar situation with my sisters (Not a banishing lol), and with how open/tolerant she can be.

Yes people identify her with her fan-created personas, but I feel those are just fillers for either lack of character development, or just people being bored. They do make me laugh a lot though and I love them too!

Edited by Hayzelestia
  • Brohoof 2

It is possible to enjoy something with no logical reason or explanation. I enjoy Trollestia, I think it makes Celestia much more entertaining.

But frankly, these kinds of threads just seem to upset people all around. It's basically, "Awww, why don't people see stuff my way? Everybody knows my way is the best way! Other people who don't see stuff my way are just dumb!"

To be blunt, that is.

I'm not trying to say you're dumb, but I guess that if it enhances the personality of Celestia. I guess that's fine, but I hate how I can't search Celestia art without encountering those fanon personalities.

In the show itself, Celestia seems like the "Do no wrong" kind of character and frankly it seems like sometimes she can be like a Mary-Sue. Don't get me wrong, I still like her, just not all the time.

Princess Luna is, like someone else has mentioned, an underdog character, and has flaws and a more different personality. She still seems to be working on being open-minded and friendly, which is interesting to watch in terms of character development. 

So basically I like Luna because she seems like a character with more visible flaws and a more complex personality. 

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

I have five words for you guys: New Lunar Republic and memes.

Since plenty of people already talked about the memes, let's talk about the NLR and CSE. The New Lunar Dictatorship Republic is the group of Luna fans who, not all, but the majorly assumes that Celestia is evil and Luna is oh-so-innocent. The Celestia Solar Dictatorship Empire pretty much think the opposite.

And at least Celestia tried to do something about the Changlings. She may have gotten her ass kicked, but she at least tried. Luna didn't even know that Canterlot was under attack.

Edited by Edgeworth1001

Celestia's been getting better, but she's still too annoyingly flawless.

I actually think Luna would be the same if we saw more of her. But she's a really underutilized character.

In fact in Season 3, there hasn't been even an episode for Celestia written yet. Luna had a minor role in Sleepless in Ponyville but that's about it, they only are cameos for all the three seasons.

I'm pretty sure that Celestia has her flaws like any other character would, its just that she hasn't been shown a lot. I don't even know why the writers can't get her out of her castle and into the open world very much.

I have five words for you guys: New Lunar Republic and memes.

Since plenty of people already talked about the memes, let's talk about the NLR and CSE. The New Lunar Dictatorship Republic is the group of Luna fans who, not all, but the majorly assumes that Celestia is evil and Luna is oh-so-innocent. The Celestia Solar Dictatorship Empire pretty much think the opposite.

I actually don't support for any of those two groups. You know what I support? Equestrian Unity that's what! It's been a diarchy from the start, and I'm pretty sure that there will not be such an event where Celestia and Luna are on opposite sides.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Luna is like Derpy.

Overrated as fuck.

Neh,I kid, I like Celestia more. There isn't much character on the Princesses, a few words come to mind, but not enough to be compared to any of the Main characters.

As for those things of "Molestia, Trollestia, and Tyrantlestia" those are fannon, not worth caring about.

Edited by Pinkazoid!
  • Brohoof 4

I never understood the hype over Luna, to be honest. I've always likes Celestia a lot more than the other princesses.

I guess it's the popular memes, like "The fun as been doubled" that made Luna so popular. She also does not appear in the show as often as Celestia does, and I suppose this causes a bunch of hype.

For me, Celestia is a throw-back to television animated princesses of yesterday. And that provides some stability in terms of how the other characters are able to go off the rails a bit. She complements them.

I like her already, but I have a feeling that the longer the series continues, the more likeable she'll become in general. I bet she'll be severely tested in the future, show flaws, and bounce back from them. And we'll be rooting for her like crazy. Just a hunch.

Luna is vulnerable, slightly downtrodden, and wants to be accepted and helpful. She's a very sympathetic character; it's hard not to root for her.

• Brohoof 1

Because we haven't seen much of Celestia outside of her roles as princess and mentor to Twilight making her seem like your typical princess character. As far as typical princess characters go Celestia is one of the best I have ever seen but still. Luna on the other hand we got to see a bit of Luna the pony, we got the see her redemption from being Nightmare Moon and her struggles to fit into modern society after being gone for 1000 years. As much as I like Celestia and agree that she needs a bit more character development I find Luna to be a more interesting character because I am a sucker for redemption stories and because I find her extremely relatable as I have often struggled myself to fit in and know what it is like to be feared and misunderstood.

Well, most of this hate on Celestia is because of memes and rumors and such. Honestly, I don't hate her, I think it's just ridiculous how every single time something bad happens in Equestria, Celestia just kinda disappears with some excuse as to why she can't be there. And the one time she did stand up for her subjects physically, she was pwned by Chrysalis. Also, the whole 'what was happening in Equestria before Celestia's power' is kinda skipped over by the show, so there's not much to go by. If we actually had proof beyond a stained-glass window and an explanation by Celestia about how Discord's rule was so bad, I might believe her a bit more. I mean, seriously, did he physically hurt his subjects or was he just irresponsible. The first reason justifies encasing him in stone, but with his personality, the secomd one is more believable. But I'm getting off topic. The reason I think a lot of the fandom likes Luna a lot is because, even though she has less screentime, we understand her more than Celestia, and have sympathy for her social awkwardness. Celestia just seems... too perfect, too good to really be good, you know? There is too much room for failure for us to trust her. That is why I think that a lot of the fandom likes Luna more. Plus, Luna has an awesome character design. ^_^

Well its probably got to due with many factors.

I think one of the main ones is actually because Luna has got her own episode, where as Celestia hasn't. Sure she shows in the end of episodes and randomly in the show, but she hasn't been highly developed.

Thats not to say she doesn't have any character, but she is a bit lacking when it comes to being developed I think. Mostly due to her lacking her own episode.

Shes also normally doing Royal business or something, while Luna has actually participated in regular life for a little kinda.

Some people misunderstand the consequences and whole sending to the moon thing, so some people may dislike her for that, even if she didn't really have much of a choice in a way.

Some people just prefer Luna's Color scheme, or find her character more relatable.

However I wouldn't say shes the most hated character or something. Theres plenty of fans of hers, if I'd to say the most hated character is probably Blueblood. :P.

Like I said before though, i think a big factor is due to her lacking her own episode yet. Maybe she also comes off as "Mary sue" to some, even if I don't personally think of her as quite that.

I personally don't bother myself to much with who likes who overall, i like the characters I like, doesn't matter to me if people don't like them as much as I do or something :P, besides everyone has different opinions, which makes things more interesting then if we all thought the same.

Excuse my rambling by the way.

• Brohoof 1

Because Luna looks cooler. Physical appearance counts for quite a bit, and being a black, dark blue, shadowy, mare of the night is all she really needs to gander a huge fanbase.