Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

technology Do you recommend trying Ubuntu ?

MuffinMuzzle

I have never used anything else than Windows so I'm getting kind of bored. Currently i have Windows 8 and I don't like it very much. I like trying new things and I like to learn new things with Computer and customize. I'm just a bit worried that I would not be able to work with it properly because of just a little experience with commands. Do you think it's worth a try? Will I be able to play games with my friends who all have windows? for example : League of legends, World of Warcraft, TF2 ? 

• Brohoof 2

i have ubuntu on my laptop i can't understand how to use ittongue.png

but i think you can't play much games like tf2 i guess... i tried to play minecraft but its to difficult to install minecraftderpy_emoticon1.png  normally with windows you just press download and wait a couple of seconds then you got it. but with ubuntu....well.....to difficult :S

but you can always try? :P

• Brohoof 1

i have ubuntu on my laptop i can't understand how to use ittongue.png

but i think you can't play much games like tf2 i guess... i tried to play minecraft but its to difficult to install minecraftderpy_emoticon1.png  normally with windows you just press download and wait a couple of seconds then you got it. but with ubuntu....well.....to difficult :S

but you can always try? tongue.png

Now I fear even more that i won't be able to use it :D, but as you say I can always try, just if it's worth the time to reinstall all the things I have in my computer :D

I use Linux Mint, but it's just a matter of personal preferences. Any of the well-known, Debian-based distros are pretty easy to use. What I don't like about Ubuntu doesn't have much to do with Ubuntu itself. Gnome Shell isn't particularly good, imo, and I don't like Unity, which is Ubuntu's take on it.

If you're new to Linux I'd recommend either Kubuntu or Xubuntu over vanilla Ubuntu. They use the KDE desktop environment and the XFCE desktop environment, respectively. Both are easier for noobs and pros alike. KDE is the most Windows-like, so you might find it more intuitive. I currently have the latest version of Linux Mint's KDE edition.

but i think you can't play much games like tf2 i guess tongue.png

Valve released Steam for Linux a few months ago and more games are coming for it. TF2 was one of the first games available.

• Brohoof 4

Basically, every Linux is good. I tried to install Ubuntu and I'm still using it till now. Debian is good as well, but I think it's better as a server. People say Ubuntu is easier to learn, so maybe you may want to try it. Well, you can always try Mint. Both are easy to learn.

Linux is reasonably better than Windows. The security, stability, performance, flexibility, etc. Since Linux is open source and free, Windows has more third party support than Linux. Therefore, Windows has more games. Still, Wine (a software to play .exe file in Linux) always works for me.

(edited)

Ubuntu's not bad, IMO. I quit using it after the developers decided to nuke the native GNOME interface, though. I still keep an Ubuntu 10.04 LTS disk around in case I want to feel a bit of nostalgia. All in all, it took me a while to learn Ubuntu, but once I understood most commands, it became my number one alternative to Windows. After Ubuntu moved on, I went and grabbed a disc of Linux Mint, though I haven't really touched it yet.

Regardless, I upgraded to Backtrack, so I'm a bit out of the loop. I'd say give Ubuntu a try on a LiveCD or LiveUSB.

Edited by Seraphim

Hm...I'd say it took me a little less than a year, to be honest. My first distro was 9.10 Karmic Koala, and that was just getting my feet wet. Really, just learn the terminal syntax from the Ubuntu Forums and experiment with some of the existing bash/.sh scripts circulating around the community. Hell, I still don't know many commands, I just kind of learn them as I go.

I'd be alright with that. Hit me up with any questions you might have. ^^

Ubuntu's rather...easy to learn, once you get the hang of it. Unity might take some time to get used to, but I've experimented with both the Unity and Gnome interface with little to no problems.

(edited)

Hey noticed your thread there wink.png

But regarding Ubuntu,

IMO Everyone is going to have their own preference on what Linux Distro to use, wherever you go Ubuntu is a good place to start. Note if you simply do not like a GUI you dont have to switch distro's as you can install multiple Desktop Enviorments (GUI Setups) from the same distro, in this case Ubuntu. Ubuntu is quite simple to learn and has a lot of good documentation and resources out their if you need help.

If you need any assistance i would be happy to provide it for you :-)

Edited by superponylinux
  • Brohoof 2

I have never used anything else than Windows so I'm getting kind of bored. Currently i have Windows 8 and I don't like it very much. I like trying new things and I like to learn new things with Computer and customize. I'm just a bit worried that I would not be able to work with it properly because of just a little experience with commands. Do you think it's worth a try? Will I be able to play games with my friends who all have windows? for example : League of legends, World of Warcraft, TF2 ? 

First, if you want to try an OS but want to keep Windows, just in case if the distro goes wrong. Get this program first:

sourceforge.net/projects/getlinux/

Download that program and start it up. And get the OS you want for. For me, I have a 22.00 MBPS so it takes about 7 minutes to download 781 MB but that really depends on your internet service provider and internet speed that you are paying for.

Then, get this virtual OS program, its called Virtualbox by Oracle.

http://www.virtualbox.org

Download the Virtualbox, but you need to get the right one. If its 32 bit, get the i386 one. If its the 64 bit, get the AMD one.

Install the program, and download the iso on Get Linux. Once it is downloaded, start up Virtualbox, create a new OS and you can make the amount of RAM and hard drive space, and you can either dynamically allocate it or fixed disk space. Start up the OS and you will go through a wizard, put in the ISO on the virtual DVD drive and there you go, you're set.

You can install it and you can play with Kubuntu while you're on Windows 8.

I use Linux Mint, but it's just a matter of personal preferences. Any of the well-known, Debian-based distros are pretty easy to use. What I don't like about Ubuntu doesn't have much to do with Ubuntu itself. Gnome Shell isn't particularly good, imo, and I don't like Unity, which is Ubuntu's take on it.

If you're new to Linux I'd recommend either Kubuntu or Xubuntu over vanilla Ubuntu. They use the KDE desktop environment and the XFCE desktop environment, respectively. Both are easier for noobs and pros alike. KDE is the most Windows-like, so you might find it more intuitive. I currently have the latest version of Linux Mint's KDE edition.

Valve released Steam for Linux a few months ago and more games are coming for it. TF2 was one of the first games available.

There is also Lubuntu, which uses LXDE desktop environment. What do you think of LXDE? I think it was primary designed for older systems with low memory resources I believe.

• Brohoof 1

I have too much free time and nothing to lose so I will remove whole windows and just install Ubuntu. If i won't like it I can install windows back anytime but thanks for posting :)

Yes, if you can figure it out. To be honest, it was quite a problem for me to get the Wifi Card drivers to work, and beyond that just minor stuff not synching with my OS and hardware. It's a really good system if you can make it work properly. I'm pretty sure you could figure it out.

(edited)

I didn't even install it yet and I ran into a problem when booting from CD/DVD img-1338854-1-sad.png. If anypony knows how to help I will be thankful. I have spent my last 2 hours googling the solution but found nothing..

Boot failure : no default or ui configuration directive found

I will give it a try tomorrow again with a Flash drive.

Edited by MuffinMuzzle

I didn't even install it yet and I ran into a problem when booting from CD/DVD img-1338854-1-sad.png. If anypony knows how to help I will be thankful. I have spent my last 2 hours googling the solution but found nothing..

Boot failure : no default or ui configuration directive found

I will give it a try tomorrow again with a Flash drive.

I don't use Toogle as my default search engine anymore, but this came up as the second result for me.

Anyway, Ubuntu is definitely a good OS to start with. I'm still using it right now, actually. You could try Linux Mint, but that's based off of Ubuntu anyway. The only thing that makes Mint different is the use of proprietary software coming preinstalled, a slightly worse package repository, and CInnamon being the default Desktop Environment. I'd recommend using KDE, Cinnamon, or Unity as your first DE. KDE looks pretty Windowsy from the start, so it's a smooth transition.

And if you like customization, then a Linux-based OS would be perfect for you. Everything can be customized, some parts being harder to customize than others. You learn by doing, mostly. Of course, there's always forums and people to ask if you're having some troubles. The guys at ubuntuforums can usually help better than any of us.

LoL and WoW don't work natively on Linux. TF2 works natively with very few problems. Keep in mind that Steam on Linux is still in beta development. Works well enough for me, though. If you're thinking of using the compatibility layer, WINE, don't depend on it. Most programs run pretty terribly on it, though I've heard WoW is nearly perfect on WINE.

i tried to play minecraft but its to difficult to install minecraft

strange, for me it wasn't that difficult... all I needed to do was to download it, right click Minecraft.jar and choose run with java or something like that, but idk how difficult it is in the newer versions...

(edited)

There is also Lubuntu, which uses LXDE desktop environment. What do you think of LXDE? I think it was primary designed for older systems with low memory resources I believe.

LXDE is my last resort recommendation for those who aren't willing to do without desktop environment altogether. Like you said, it has low resource demands and excels at keeping old systems useful and without sacrificing too much in terms of ease of use. Aside from that it's pretty bland and most distros that use it ship with some extremely basic software, leaving more work for the user if they desire more capable stuff. In my opinion it's not worth using unless your computer is ancient.

Edited by Artemis
  • Brohoof 1

LXDE is my last resort recommendation for those who aren't willing to do without desktop environment altogether. Like you said, it has low resource demands and excels at keeping old systems useful and without sacrificing too much in terms of ease of use. Aside from that it's pretty bland and most distros that use it ship with some extremely basic software, leaving more work for the user if they desire more capable stuff. In my opinion it's not worth using unless your computer is ancient.

Yes, but its definitely better than the desktop environment that Tiny Core Linux uses, so as Damn Small Linux (DSL, also known as Business Card Linux).

I definitely recommend Ubuntu as your first linux distro! Mint too. Historically, I've always had big problems with some of the installers on CDs/DVDs not working correctly. If you get stuck Google is your friend! half the time just googling the error will let you know what's wrong, feel free to PM me anytime if you need help.

I must admit I've been a big Debian fan these last couple if years, a lot leaner also I spend more time with it on our little Raspberry PI. But you will definitely miss the games. Although there are things like WINE (if this is still going?) It's very hard to get many things to run at all. might even be best get a cheaper lower-spec (even second hand?) To use as an experimental machine that you could try this on?

(edited)

Ubuntu was my first linux distro. 9.04 was a great relief to my Windows Vista rage. I got so mad at vista one day, I slammed my Ubuntu CD into the CD drive and wiped vista right out. That was a great day, a day of discovery and vengeance.

I will say this though, gaming on linux is a bit of a chore. Figuring out how to get wine working can be very frustrating and tedious, but many windows only games can actually be run on Linux. for the sake of being simple, wine is basically a windows emulator... It actually isn't, but it's the easiest way to describe it.

I'm personally a big fan of KDE and I use a distribution called Chakra. I occasionally move back to Arch Linux every so often, a distribution I recommend staying away from until your either willing to learn a lot or you have learned a lot about the command line. Ubuntu is a great start, I'd also recommend looking at Linux Mint as they are very user friendly as well.

Edited by Celtore

Yes of course, I recommend Kubuntu, it has Plasma Desktop which is fully customisable without extra tools or configuration file editing, where you can add widgets on its desktop.

Correct me if my info is inaccurate.

Thank you for your recommendations, I have already Ubuntu 12.10 on my flash drive and the installation finally works. Also I see there is lot of people to help you with your linux so i fear no more.

Oh my god, there seems to be not only one problem.. sometimes I feel like my computer hates me. I can't finish the installation because it gives me an error...

Apt configuration fail : An attemp to configure apt to install additional packages from the CD failed.

Currently I am running it without installation because i have already formated my disk with windows so I have no working OS.

Hello!

Oh you should most definately try it! Ubuntu is just rocketing with progress with their devices. I really love them, and as you can already see, all steam games are availabe for Linux :P. In my opinion, both Windows and iOS can hide.

Thank you for your recommendations, I have already Ubuntu 12.10 on my flash drive and the installation finally works. Also I see there is lot of people to help you with your linux so i fear no more.

Oh my god, there seems to be not only one problem.. sometimes I feel like my computer hates me. I can't finish the installation because it gives me an error...

Apt configuration fail : An attemp to configure apt to install additional packages from the CD failed.

Currently I am running it without installation because i have already formated my disk with windows so I have no working OS.

http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-1663652.html

I think I may have found something that might help.

"To resolve this, simply copy the contents of filesystem.squashfs on the iso into the usb stick. Luckily the parts it is reading from this appear to be just apt config files so the fact that you lose symbolic links or permissions on a FAT32 usb stick shouldn't matter."

It's worth a try at least. It's unfortunate you're having so much difficulty considering ubuntu is supposed to be one of the easiest distros to get running. If all else fails, maybe try downloading linux mint and see if they do much better.

• Brohoof 1