Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Love*Potion

Just curious: How many bronies out there watch MLP FiM in different languages?

Allow me to explain:

I take German in school, and my father speaks it fluently. I personally think it's a beautiful language and I dream to speak it someday wub.png

So, being my curious self, I looked up MLP in German. I discovered the cutest little pony voices and funny accents. The cool part is I understood some of it!

Anyway, go ahead and try it out: Listen to all the Mane 6's voices in German. Super cute!

"20% Cooler" laugh.png

• Brohoof 1

I speak French and Hebrew fluently, and more than a little Yiddish. I very much enjoy the French dub, but the voice actors are very nasal and annoying, and I'm not used to Parisian French; rather Québecois. I'm also actually involved in a project to bring ponies to non-anglophonic Israel, by dubbing the show, songs, and brony music and fics into Hebrew. So far, I have translated one episode, two songs (Cupcakes and WWU), and one chapter of Background Pony. In my spare time, I translate Snowdrop into Hebrew. I also dubbed What My Cutie Mark is Telling Me and Anthropology into French. I also plan to create short dubs in Yiddish.

For example, I'll take /)^3^(\:

"It's gonna be so awesome!"

"Il va être si impressionant!"

"Hi yih'yeh col cach sababa!"

"Es is gein tzu bin azoi klin!"

EDIT: Transliterated, BTW.

Edited by ping111
  • Brohoof 2

The only other language that I watch MLP in is in Japanese (no surprise there, right). Growing up, I watched a lot of Anime in the original Japanese dub with English subtitles, so it was natural for me to watch shows in a language that I don't understand. Whenever I watch MLP Japan, I get the feeling that I'm watching an anime, and it reminds me of my childhood wub.png . The voice work is perfect and may even be on par with the original English Dub (though I think Pinkies transition from English to Japanese just made her even cuter than before laugh.png

My family and from Mexico so naturall I know Spanish.

I have seems episodeds in Spanish before. For me it's alright, the voices arn't te best for some characters. Some characters voiced are okay.

It's okay, but no the best

Also there are translations errors, but I can expect that. (whenever something is translate into something there are some translation errors in the process).

• Brohoof 1

I usually watch shows in their original language for one and only one reason: They never really change anything (unless you count The Last Roundup). That's a very possible thing that can happen in dubbed versions. We have already seen many scene cuts in Japanese dubbed MLP:FiM. I find those annoying.

That been said, it is also quite rare these days for a dubbed series to sound better than the original. This is usually true with anime shows. Though there are cases where a dubbed version sounds better than the original. One such example is "Once Upon A... Space" (Il était un fois... l'space) series created by Albert Barillé (peace to his soul). While the original French version sounds great, I think the Finnish dubbed version sounds even better. 

Anyway... back to the topic at hand. So yeah... I prefer to watch things in their original language, because there are usually no mistakes there, no possible scene cuts/changes and such. This includes MLP:FiM.

• Brohoof 1

I'm from Mexico, but even though the episodes here are aired in spanish I prefer to watch them on english seems more natural and I don't like the spanish voices of the characters. Maybe because I started watching the show in english I just can't get used to the voices in spanish.

• Brohoof 1

oh xD I actually don´t love the german dub this much (irony, that´s how I found out about the show, it´s aired like that, obviously)...

Twilight´s voice still is awesome in german, but I usually prefer the english version, I don´t know why...

• Brohoof 1

• 3 weeks later...

I recently tried watching MLP in other languages. While the English will always be the best, I found the Japanese and Polish versions to be quite good, and I did watch most of the first episode in German but I didn't finish because it was getting late. I love Twilight's German voice though (and she's voiced by one of my favorite German actresses, Julia Meynen, who does the voice of Hitomi from Escaflowne!), but her Japanese and Polish voices are great too. In fact, here's a YouTuber who posts a lot of clips and comparisons of MLP in other languages: 

Here's the opening themes in different languages:

Greek:

French:

Mexican/Latin American Spanish:

Polish:

German:

Japanese:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0QthA3l3IhM

Italian:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bV7Ou_kkaX8

Note that the Japanese and Italian versions are both completely different songs and different footage is used, but I consider them both to be very good...though the Japanese lyrics of both the opening and ending songs feel more suited to a romantic slice of life anime than a cartoon about colorful ponies.

• Brohoof 2

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...

Is it officially available in other languages also?? I never knew that.

So far I have not watched in any language other than English, but I will try watching it in French to improve my language skills.

Is it officially available in other languages also?? I never knew that.

So far I have not watched in any language other than English, but I will try watching it in French to improve my language skills.

You'd be surprised to see how many languages these cartoons get dubbed in. You can always look for multilanguage videos on Youtube to see what I mean.

Also, I love the french dub and it's helped me a lot with my french. You should definitely check it out. I also love the Latinamerican version since it's the one that introduced me to the show, although lately it has been decreasing in quality. Italian, German and Polish are quite good as well.

• Brohoof 1

I only really watch MLP:FiM in English, but there is a Croatian dub that I watched a little.

However, only the 1st season has been dubbed so far (and I don't see another season being dubbed anytime soon), not to mention the dub itself is horrible for a multitude of reasons. It also started airing near the end of 2014, so it's more or less obscure and there aren't many multilanguage videos featuring the Croatian dub.

I usually watch in English, though my preference for the later seasons is Russian, the first season is absolutely abysmal. Luna is called "Moon Pony". Literally. Wat. Wat?

Plus Russian has a lot of fandubs for pretty much anything even remotely well-known, down to 80s  and 90s shows from America.

I've also watched episodes in French, German, Polish, Swedish, and Belorussian. I enjoyed the Swedish spitfire so so so much, but I think I preferred Polish the most out of these. Sad thing though about Belorussian is that it will not get listened to by anyone. It lags far behind Ukrainian and Ukrainian is completely uncompetitive with Russian. 

Generally the reason a lot of people watch shows in the original language is voice (Applejack) and jokes that don't translate well. In some sense, if something is made towards a general (international) audience, I sort of dislike regionalisms that make translation even worse. It's much better to play jokes off of characters than languages. It just cuts of a lot of potential.