Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Do you watch MLP in your language? Discuss foreign dubs

Shimmering Sparkler

I watched a few episodes in Japanese, which is my second language after English; the dub isn't terrible, and the voices sound normal enough for the characters. 

I especially adore Fluttershy's voice, but I usually stick with English because that's what I understand the easiest  :squee:

• 4 months later...

My native language is Serbian, and we have two official dubs: 

Minimax (6 seasons, all EG films) They keep original names (Applejack are Epldžek, Fluttershy are Flateršaj etc..)

Mini Ultra ( I think they dubbed 5 seasons, because they dubbed Friendship Games, but not Legend of Everfree yet.... I'm not sure, but Minimax release their dub for season 6 after Legend of Everfree) In difference of Minimax, they translate majority of names (Twillight Sparkle are Večernja Iskra, Rarity are Divna, Sunset Shimmer are Svetlucajuća Svetlica :D etc..) They kept names for Celestia and Luna, but both dubs translate Discord (Nesklad or Zavada)

To be honest, I'm new in MLP stuff and (weird order) I first watched EG movies and some random MLP episodes :D

Some examples of dubbing songs are in spoilers

Minimax EQ films

Spoiler

Mini Ultra EQ films ( I didn't find songs from 1st)

Spoiler

Minimax MLP

Mini Ultra MLP

• Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...

Serbian voice actors for FIM. One actor in main cases plays 2, or more characters... Do you have a pair which don't expect to have a same voice?

P.S Mini Ultra changed studio after season 2.

P.P.S Source: Wikipedia

P.P.P.S Later, I will do this for EG franchise :)

Marijana Aranđelović (Minimax: Twilight Sparkle)
Jelena Jovičić (Minimax: Pinkie Pie, Fluttershy, Princess Celestia, Apple Bloom, maybe Rara?)
Snežana Nešković (Minimax: Rarity (seasons 1,2,4,5 and 6), Spike, Princess Luna, Scotaloo (seasons 1,2,4,5,6), Starlight Glimmer) Mini Ultra: Spike (3,4), Luna (3,4), Sweetie Belle (3,4))
Milena Živanović (Minimax: Rarity (3), Scotaloo (3))
Aleksandra Širkić (Minimax: Applejack, Rainbow Dash, Princess Cadence, Sweetie Belle)
Marko Marković (Minimax: Discord, Mini Ultra: Discord (3,4))
Milena Moravčević (Mini Ultra: Twilight Sparkle (1,2), Pinkie Pie (1,2))
Aleksandra Tomić (Mini Ultra: Fluttershy (1,2), Scotaloo (1,2))
Dragana Milošević (Mini Ultra: Rarity (1,2), Spike (1,2))
Jelena Petrović (Mini Ultra: Applejack (1,2), Rainbow Dash (1,2), Princess Luna (1,2))
Milica Čalija (Mini Ultra: Princess Celestia (1,2), Apple Bloom (1,2))
Snežana Knežević (Mini Ultra: Sweetie Belle (1,2))
Milan Tubić (Mini Ultra: Discord (1,2))
Mina Lazarević (Mini Ultra: Twilight Sparkle (3,4), Apple Bloom (3,4))
Mirjana Jovanović (Mini Ultra: Pinkie Pie (3,4), Fluttershy (3,4))
Nataša Balog (Mini Ultra: Rarity (3,4), Applejack (3,4), Scotaloo (3,4))
Aleksandra Cucić (Mini Ultra: Princess Celestia (3,4), Princess Cadence (3,4))

One of my suprising combinations are Fluttershy + Princess Celestia (Jelena Jovičić)

In Australia, the official Language is English and I do watch the show in English, but when it comes to Foreign Versions. I would usually watch the Italian Dub because of the theme from Season 1, but I also watched the Polish Dub and the Serbian Dub just because of boredom. Plus the voices in the Italian dub are excellent.

On 2016-11-14 at 9:38 PM, Shimmering Sparkler said:

My mother tongue is English but I've always had a knack for watching shows and movies in other languages besides English. It's fun and I like seeing other's interpretations on the characters. MLP is all around the world, with many different dubs. What's your countries dub like? Is it good? Is it bad? Are the voices somewhat good?

My personal favorite is the Latin American dub. I am part Mexican and I have a few younger cousins who don't speak English and watch the shows Spanish dub, so I watch that one sometimes. I think it's quite good! The voices may not be the most accurate but they do their jobs well enough! My favorite VA is Carla Castaneda who voices Twilight. She's a very good impersonation and sings very well for Twilight! But for some reason, for episodes 14-21 they replaced her VA and it was pretty noticable. Not sure who voiced her but while she did a good job she didn't quite match Carla's voice for Twilight. 

Since I'm a huge weeaboo XD I love the Japanese dub as well! My favorite VA from there is Pinkie's VA (or seiyuu) Suzuko Mimori who also voices Sonoda on Love Live. She impersonates Andrea Libman's voice flawlessly and she promotes MLP quite often on her Twitter. She also voiced Maud in Rainbow Rocks. Sadly, the show never got passed Season 2 in Japan but the Equestria Girls movies exist over there and the merchandise is quite popular too. I've heard rumors of it coming back through Netflix but I'm not sure if they're true.

So, what's your favorite dub? If you don't speak English and MLP airs in your country what's it like?

Hi, as this topic is show related it has been moved to Show Discussion.

(edited)

I am a Pole and I prefer watch mlp in my native language. In English only sometimes. Polish dubbing I really like.

The voice matches the character perfectly for me. I think even better than the original. Only Pinky Pie sometimes speaks so fast that I can not understand her:blink:. I like Fluttershy the most. Her sweet voice I like the same in polish and english versions.:wub: 

Edited by Fluttershy Friend
  • Brohoof 1

I've started watching them in my native language, but then I've re-watch them in english, I have to say some replica are better in VO, some are better in french, but honestly I've enjoyed the show as much in english than in french !
:grin:

I usually say NO to dub, unless the original language  is not available or dubbed versions are insanely good. If the movie made by Indian, i want to hear their language, I can read english subtitles.

• 3 months later...

I only watch the English version of MLP. I've seen a few clips of the show in Finnish, and that's enough for me. The dub voices are very squeaky and sound forced and exaggerated. Fluttershy sounds OK, Pinkie tolerable (but lacks the energy of Andrea Libman's performance), but I didn't like the others.

• Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/30/2017 at 11:10 PM, Flutterlina said:

P.P.P.S Later, I will do this for EG franchise :)

This later passed a long ago, sorry :(

Equestria Girls Serbian actors (Note: Mini Ultra dubbed only Rainbow Rocks and Friendship Games)

Marijana Aranđelović (Minimax : Twilight Sparkle, Sonata Dusk, Maud Pie, Sugarcolt)
Snežana Nešković (Minimax: Rarity, Spike, Princess/Vice-Principal Luna, Scotaloo, Cherilie, Adagio Dazzle (speaking), Sour Sweet, maybe singing for Twilight Sparkle, Muffin (Derpy) Mini Ultra: Spike, Sonata Dusk, Sweetie Belle, Maud Pie, Vice-Principal Luna, Sunny Flare)
Aleksandra Širkić: (Minimax: Applejack, Rainbow Dash, Princess/Dean Cadence, Sweetie Belle, Aria Blaze, Sunny Flare, Lyra)
Jelena Jovičić (Minimax: Pinkie Pie, Fluttershy, Princess/Principal Celestia, Apple Bloom, Trixie, Gloriosa Daisy, Sweetie Drops (Bon Bon) )
Andrijana Oliverić (Minimax: Sunset Shimmer, Lemon Zest)
Milan Antonić (Minimax: Flash Sentry (first 3 films) )
Marko Marković (Minimax: Snips, Snails, Big Mac, Timber Spruce, Flash Sentry (Legend of Everfree), Sandalwood, Filtry Rich, Bulk Biceps Mini Ultra: Big Mac, Snails)
Iva Stefanović (Minimax: Adagio Dazzle (singing) Mini Ultra: Adagio Dazzle, Principal Abacus Cinch)
Mileva Moračević (Minimax: Principal Abacus Cinch, Indigo Zap Mini Ultra: Pinkie Pie, Trixie (singing), Aria Blaze)
Mina Lazarević (Mini Ultra: Twilight Sparkle, Apple Bloom, Sugarcolt)
Nataša Balog (Mini Ultra: Applejack, Rarity, Scotaloo, Indigo Zap)
Ana Simić (Mini Ultra: Rainbow Dash, Principal Celestia, Dean Candence)
Jelena Stojiljković (Mini Ultra: Fluttershy, Sunset Shimmer, Trixie (speaking), Sour Sweet, Lemon Zest)
Milan Tubić (Mini Ultra: Flash Sentry, Snips)

Hope this will be interesting ;)

Edited by Flutterlina

I have watched some episodes in the mexican dub (which I believe is used in the rest of latinamerica) and the voices are pretty good.

But a good amount of titles, jokes and songs lose sense or grace over translation, so I still prefer to watch the show at its original english.

• 3 months later...

I usually watch the show in English, but as of late I have taken interest in the Croatian dub - my native tongue - beginning with November 2017.

Let me tell you a little story: the show previously had only one Croatian dub, which debuted in November 2014 and only had the first season (until 2017, wherein I saw the second season as well). This dub, which airs on HRT 2, is beyond terrible; aside from lifeless and/or unfitting voices outfitting most of the cast (just try listening to Pinkie Pie! She sounds like a mix between an old lady and a squawky parrot in contrast with her bubbly personality), it also has rather shoddy localisations (for example NMM is literally called "Black Princess" and Queen Chrysalis was called "Kristalina", the latter of which alludes to crystals despite there being no logic as to what the villain has to do with crystals - Scootaloo got a similar treatment), some songs are badly sung and most are sung by one and actual singer (and voice actor apparently) and, for reasons unknown, is absolutely rife with strange audio mixing choices. What I am talking about is that they occasionally loop, omit, or replay lines of dialogue for no discernible reason, and they've also added unrelevant sound clips in places and done other miscellaneous things such as copy-pasting audio from the Serbian Mini dub (and, in the second season, their own) and having lines of dialogue either too short or too long to properly fit, leading to what TV Tropes calls " Hong Kong Dub". For example try looking at This Day Aria where you'll encounter sounds that were NOT supposed to be there, or even my recently uploaded Smile Song that has an odd case of copy-pasting audio of the "Come on everypony" verse and using that to end the song (which also seems to feature a low-pitched voice for some reason), or even the "Welcome" Song which is literally just a segment from the aforementioned Smile Song sloppily plastered over it with no regard of what that scene actually is. I don't think I have ever seen another dub do this, at least not in this capacity. It's like I am looking at a chinese bootleg that's neither chinese nor a bootleg. Simply put, the studio that dubbed it was that careless.

And then came the RTL dub in November 2017, by Livada Produkcija which is known for making decent dubs. I found out about it by accident; at the beginning of November I searched terms for the Croatian dub out of boredom and among the results was what looked like the opening theme on YT with "RTL Kockica" in its title. I went to check it out, and it was a resung version of what HRT did for the intro. And then I found the Laughter Song and a couple others, and I thoroughly enjoyed them, followed by me finding out that it started airing very recently (the first four episodes had already aired). After that I set out to watch all the episodes I could catch, and boy is it so much better than HRT's version. I watched all the episodes it's been airing so far and right now it's only the first season (the channel doesn't have the license for other seasons for now but will make an announcement if they license the other seasons as well). I warmly hope they dub all the other seasons as well, I mean I have been waiting for so long for a good Croatian dub to arrive...

• 3 years later...

I watch MLP:FiM in english. The German dub is not bad, but I don't like some of the chosen voices for the characters. And then there is biggest issue with the german dub in my opinion: The songs

These German VAs are good in giving the characters speaking voices but really not good in giving them singing voices. I really cannot stand the German version of the FiM songs. It's really the better way to give a character a second VA who is doing the singing.

Then there are some details which cannot be translated easily and are mostly left out like AJ's countryisms. 

• Brohoof 1

• 1 month later...

All l can say is that English (original) is indeed much better than Romanian dub. >_>

2 reasons l have:

1. The mane six voices in Romanian (apart from some music) sounds cute, but after seasons 1-3, Twilight and Fluttershy voices has been changed. They sound a bit different. :wacko:

2. Now after the seasons 1-6, Rarity's and Rainbow Dash's voices has also been changed. (And probably Applejack too, if l remember correctly:huh:

Not to mention about some songs in the show, at the Gala Song, they incredibly messed up at Rarity's part... :(:(

This is why l prefer the original voices in English than Romanian dub. :maud:

• 3 months later...

I watch it in german, yes. I find it perfect. :) I prefer the songs and the voices in german. German dubs of any kind usually don't receive a lot of appreciation and people tend to watch the originals, especially when it comes to Anime and stuff. I find it a shame, because they do an excellent job. In FiM for example, I prefer the way the sounds, music and voices are mixed in the german version. And they put attention to detail, there are many scenes of characters (important ones and background ones) that are only voiced in german. Basically, they move their mouths in the english version, but they aren't voiced at all, make no noises either. This is different in german and this makes it more alive and it changes the canon a bit for me, since I discover "different/new" aspects about the story or various characters. Ditzy also has a cute little crazy laugh in german at one point, but it's completely mute in english. And it is because of all the smaller things I started to love, I would completely miss them in english, so I stick to the german one. :coco: Whenever I talk about my favorite songs, characters, episodes and all that, I always do it with the german ones in mind. I can imagination that I have a whole different impression of the show than most other fans here. Maybe I say I like Character A and you would be surprised and think what is even the appeal of them? The version differences could be the reason. :coco:

I could try to think of some other differences. The name "Derpy" was never used here, Rainbow Dash didn't say a name at all.
When Luna screams "Be still!", there was this very amazing echo, right? This is literally the only thing that I miss in german, that echo isn't there. :coco:
Applejack sounds "normal" in german, they didn't gave her any dialect. She has a beautiful, fitting voice of course and the songs are a dream! :wub: When it comes to her, I like both versions, because each version offers me a completely new experience! It's a lot of fun to look up clips of her and to compare. :fluttershy:
Some voices in german were switched after some point. Cadance has 3 different across all seasons, Luna 2. Most noteworthy changes are Rainbow Dash's voice and Spike's, for both of them it happened only once and it stayed this way until the end. I love all voices. :wub: Rainbow's first voice is the same as Ran Mori's from Detective Conan. It's just a voice one recognizes, haha. The german voice actors are simply incredible, it's something we can be really proud of. :eager:
There are things you can only do in english of course. Like the southern accent. There is a lot we miss out on for sure. But you have to keep in mind that germany has it's own culture. We have our own unique things, sayings and these are perfectly executed in FiM. The same is probably true when it comes to most translations, each version is its own unique experience. There could be really amazing things happen in the japanese version and we just wouldn't know it. :coco:

The german version actually used some vulgar words when the english one didn't! :eager: Two examples~
When Cozy Glow gets angry and screams to the guard: "Are you kidding me?!?" In german she says: "Willst du mich verarschen?!?" It's definitely the correct translation. But I feel like "Are you shitting me?!?" is closer to what she said in german. :ButtercupLaugh: Arsch = Ass. It's just part of the word. :ButtercupLaugh: I like that they did this, it really shows what a bad characters she is! And to hear such a word in a show like this...fascinates me, hahaha.
Another time was Fluttershy, when she said "peeved". In german she says she is "angepisst und stinkesauer". Basically pissed off. :ButtercupLaugh: Stinkesauer = to be absolutely furious. That part is not vulgar though.

And then we have the names. Most names are kept in english. They changed many of the location names though. But when it comes to the characters, this is just a thing that FiM does, to keep the original ones. But there are some exceptions. "The Mane-iac" becomes "Die Mähnenirre". Mähne = Mane. That's the same. Irre (refering to a female in this case) = crazy, insane or mad.
My favorite name is Tree Hugger's german name! Baumliebchen! :pinkie: Baum = Tree. Liebchen = Dear or Sweetheart. This is such a cute name! :eager: But when Discord "guessed her name wrong" later on and called her "tree and brave",  the german Discord actually implied her english name here and guessed the name "Baumkuschlerin". Kuschlerin = Cuddler (female). I really love they did that! It was a nice surprise after checking out the english stuff at the time!

Oh yeah, their titles also became directly translated. Like "princess" and stuff or Trixie's long title, haha.

Oh, the post became longer than expected. I should have written a blog maybe, haha. But I will just leave it here. :kindness: I know it's against the rules to post non-english stuff here in general, that's why I never talk about the fantastic german version of FiM or other things. The songs are incredible and there are so many unique and funny moments. I really miss that to be honest, I have no one I can share this with. The german communities are basically dead. If FiM wasn't translated, I would have never become a fan and I would have never joined this site, the importance of it can't be undervalued. :kindness: