Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Should Twilight turn her friends into senators (but NOT alicorns, this I swear)?

Commander_PonyShep

27 users have voted

1. 1. Should Twilight's friends become senators?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe

When I read the book, Twilight Sparkle and The Crystal Heart Spell, and saw her friends create a variety of political decisions for Twilight, I'm frequently getting the feeling that Twilight might turn her friends into senators.  In the novel, she learned that the best way to rule an entire nation -- whether from Ponyville or Canterlot, doesn't matter -- is to get help from her friends like always, just as the U.S. president has a Senate to help him determine policy.  Even as a full-fledged alicorn princess -- and an actually mortal one at that, as Meghan McCarthy confirmed on Twitter -- she would still have to bring her friends along for the ride, even if it means letting them be the ones creating new policies, while Twilight is the one either accepting or declining them, rather than making them on her own.

That's not to say that Twilight would turn her friends into alicorns to reflect their new lives as senators, because while back then I said it was okay, right now I changed my mind and agree with you in believing that it would be a stupid idea.  It's best that the other five girls remain their respective species, but become senators to help Twilight rule Equestria, like they once proven themselves in The Crystal Heart Spell.

Equestria is ruled by a Monarchy, not a cabinet.

I greatly disagree with this, the show is about friendship, not politics...What little girl wants to watch a show about politics..?

• Brohoof 2

Equestria is ruled by a Monarchy, not a cabinet.

I greatly disagree with this, the show is about friendship, not politics...What little girl wants to watch a show about politics..?

Then how come in The Crystal Heart Spell, Twilight's friends gave her ideas on how to run Equestria?  She learned that she would have to accept ideas from her friends, rather than just herself, once she becomes a full-fledged ruler of Equestria.

Also, when I played Golden Sun: The Lost Age for the GBA, there was a king who had an actual senate providing him with new proposals, like during the main-story itself, when the senate constantly told their king not to send one of their citizens to explore the outside world to learn about its decline.

Then how come in The Crystal Heart Spell, Twilight's friends gave her ideas on how to run Equestria?  She learned that she would have to accept ideas from her friends, rather than just herself, once she becomes a full-fledged ruler of Equestria.

Just because her friends give her ideas doesn't mean they must be senators. They're friends... friends help each other.

Also, when I played Golden Sun: The Lost Age for the GBA, there was a king who had an actual senate providing him with new proposals, like during the main-story itself, when the senate constantly told their king not to send one of their citizens to explore the outside world to learn about its decline.

A king's senate is usually known as a Steward(s). He would advise the king of what was happening in his city/land and the king would make decisions of what to do. And if needed, the Steward(s) would give him advice, and the King would choose to acknowledge the advice, or simply forget it.

Just because her friends give her ideas doesn't mean they must be senators. They're friends... friends help each other.

A king's senate is usually known as a Steward(s). He would advise the king of what was happening in his city/land and the king would make decisions of what to do. And if needed, the Steward(s) would give him advice, and the King would choose to acknowledge the advice, or simply forget it.

Well, if Twilight's friends can't be senators, then how about Stewards/advisers, who are almost the same thing as senators? Her friends make just as good advisers as they do an animal-caretaker, a farmer, a fashion-designer, a party-goer, and a weather-patrol pony, like they've proven themselves in The Crystal Heart Spell.

In my opinion, I think they should stay as just her friends. I don't see the need in giving them a title. They're already the Elements of Harmony anyway. :s

• Brohoof 2

In my opinion, I think they should stay as just her friends. I don't see the need in giving them a title. They're already the Elements of Harmony anyway. :s

And if Princess Celestia herself decides to make her friends Twilight's royal advisers, just because she also made them the Elements of Harmony to assist Twilight?

Hello!

First of all, i think you should understand that this is not ancient Rome we're talking about... Someone like the senate, could really become an enemy or an obstacle to someone like... Let's say, Celestia and Luna.

There is absolutely no purpose in putting them up the higher ranks. I don't believe anyone from the mane 6 excluding twilight, could do anything when it came to ruling and leading a whole nation. They're just not cut out for it.

No... Twilight's friends would only serve advice as her friends... Also I'm not sure if Twilight Sparkle and The Crystal Heart Spell is actually going to be canonized in the show... many things Hasbro does with toys and whatnot do not affect the show, outside of Cadence, Shining Armor and Alicorn Twilight. I hope it is canon... Cadence really needs a back story. 

I can see it all now.

My little Pony Politics is magic: Episode 3 Revenge of the Sith

But why....

Why involve stupid politics in MLP? Rather stupid if you ask me.

How about they stay as her friends doing what they've always have done?

Applejack is far too honest to be a senator.

Nah. I'd prefer to keep the show as slice-of-lifish as possible, and to keep out of the political stuff. Of course Twilight will still need her friends, but I think they should just follow the paths they've set out for themselves, Wonderbolt, fashionista, whatever Pinkie is, etc.

God no. Just imagine Pinkie Pie armed to the hilt with the Filibuster. NOTHING would get done between Pinkies constant yammering, Apple Jacks Pride, Fluttershys ...shyness?,...Raritys overly neatness, and RainbowDashes lack of participation (Or lack of a give a buck)...... Someponies just aren't meant to be senators.

• Brohoof 2

I don't now why I clicked Yes, I instantly regret it, it might possibly be one of the stupidest decisions ever.

We don't need no politics in a little girl show that we watch for some reason!

• Brohoof 1

We can't be sure that the definition of a Monarchy in Equestria is the same as the one we hold in our world.

But for the sake of indulgence, let's pretend that it is the same for a second.  Monarchs can't simply ignore everything that a Parliament or Senate suggests.  Most Senates or Parliaments are made up of nobles, who have alot of political influence.  To completely ignore them would create numerous and powerful enemies.  It's not as simple as saying 'I'm the King or Queen.  I can say and do what I want.'.

Anyway, I wouldn't necessarily make them Senators.  If it came down to it, I'd probably put them on the level of being Knights or Elite Guards.  I doubt the show will go that far though.

Edited by SBaby

It wouldn't make any sense because, even though Equestria has a monarchy government the show isn't really about or fond of politics. There wouldn't be any sense putting politics in a kids show. Besides, they are friends not politicians. They work together not go against each other in a political competition.

No if that were to happen i believe the show would lose a huge amount of fans and demand the show title to be change to My Little Politics: Lying is Magic 

I laughed out loud at My Little Politics: Lying is Magic. It'd be a cartoon for the jaded and bitter masses complete with a Princess Cadence scandal

• Brohoof 1

While there's a certain amount of appeal to it on the surface (one of my main criticism of Twilicorn was that it would put Twilight ina  different social bracket than the rest of her friends) it just doesn't make sense for a lot of them, character-wise.  While Rarity would enjoy the new social status, politics would distract her from her design work.  Politics would bore Rainbow Dash to death, Fluttershy would wither in the spotlight, and I just can't imagine Pinkie Pie in a position of power. 

Politics, though, really needs an Applejack.  The honesty and transparency she'd introduce would be a refreshing change.

• Brohoof 1

That would be pretty different.

But I wouldn't like it. Making Twilight royalty was bad enough. If her friends were to become senators, even though they wouldn't be alicorns, the show would change entirely and most likely burn away the things we love about it so much.

The last time I checked, Equestria was a monarchy. You know, only ruled by a royal family (or in this case, alicorn princesses). There is no senate in a monarchy.

So yeah. Turning the Mane 6 into senators just won't work out with Equestria's government form.

They tried something like that in Fallout Equestria and it didn't go very well. laugh.png

I think that the Mane Six should be recognized as a "official term" of sorts in the show, like the term "alicorn". And by that, I think that they should be given titles. But I don't like the idea of a government body that interferes with Celestia's and Luna's rule over the land. Even if it is a way of keeping the show simple and because Celestia really seems to do as she pleases.

To be honest, I don't even think I like the idea of Twlight in any official capacity just yet.

The last time I checked, Equestria was a monarchy. You know, only ruled by a royal family (or in this case, alicorn princesses). There is no senate in a monarchy.

So yeah. Turning the Mane 6 into senators just won't work out with Equestria's government form.

You have a point there!

I never looked at it in that light before.

You know, even if the Mane 6 were ADVISERS instead of senators, I still wouldn't be comfortable with it.

• Brohoof 1