Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Should dinosaurs be part of an MLP episode?

tigris115

Knowing how almost every Saturday morning cartoon has had these ancient leviathans I was wondering if they should be featured with ponies. I personally love dinosaurs and prehistoric life in general. I have three main plots.

Lost World- Finding a place where ancient life has clinged on

Science- Where ponies use genetic engineering to ressurect the dinosaurs

Time Travel-Self explanitory

Sounds like a very good idea but, the problem is the animation designers and artists would not be able to find anything on dinosaurs. But, there could be some alternate universe fan fictions with dinosaurs in them.

• Brohoof 1

This video describes my reaction. I think it would be a very bad idea. MLP is not your regualr saturday morning cartoon, and it should not have regular saturday morning villians. The villians they have have characters with a past life, and a great backstory.

/)

• Brohoof 1

I dunno if I could see mlp have Dino's in it to be honest. Maybe if they have an episode with the mane 6 all going back in time. But not sure if I could see it present day equestria. Besides they're are dragons and all :P

Personally I think dragons are cooler then Dino's, but long as it makes sense I'm fine with Dino's in an episode

• Brohoof 1

MLP already have dragons in the show so I don't see why not, they're basically dinosaurs with wings anyway. I'm not sure how or why the writers are going to add them in the show but if they can make it work then I say why not?

This basically.

I think if they can do dragons they can do dinos but i wouldn't be too keen on showing them. They can just be one of the thousands of dangerous creatures that roam the Everfree.

• Brohoof 2

Well seeing that MLP has Dragons, it would not make sense for dinosaurs to exist. This is because Dragons can live where ever a Dinosaur can live, and more. So even if Dino's did exist in MLP, they wouldn't stand a chance of surviving very long :)

Eh...

You know, in a world of dragons, magic wooden wolves, and Manticores, for some reason dinosaurs seem out of place in my mind. Maybe a smaller dinosaur like a Velociraptor, but the idea of big dinosaurs like Stegosauri or Tyrannosaurs seems odd.

• Brohoof 1

This video describes my reaction. I think it would be a very bad idea. MLP is not your regualr saturday morning cartoon, and it should not have regular saturday morning villians. The villians they have have characters with a past life, and a great backstory.

/)

By that logic, you would also be against Dragons and Hydra's, no?  Seeing as how they both resemble dinosaurs in plenty of ways, I don't think it would be much of a problem if we have the aforementioned creatures in the show already.  I would imagine that if they were to implement them, they would act like Dragons and Hydras as well. 

No one said anything about making them a 'main villian'.  Simply an obstacle.

Edited by IronPuddinG

Seeing as how they both resemble dinosaurs in plenty of ways, I don't think it would be much of a problem if we have the aforementioned creatures in the show already. 

But it'd be redundant. We already have giant reptiles, and they can breathe fire, fly, and hold a conversation.

All dinosaurs bring to the table are stubby arms an unimpressive grunting.

But it'd be redundant. We already have giant reptiles, and they can breathe fire, fly, and hold a conversation.

All dinosaurs bring to the table are stubby arms an unimpressive grunting.

That's true and I thought about throwing that in my initial response, but I thought better of it.  The point I was trying to make was that he (Flutter Hooves) didn't want dinosaurs based on the fact that they would become a villian of some sort, which would seem highly unlikely compared to the other monsterous beasts of Equestria.  At this point, is a little late to introduce dinosaurs because of how long the show has been running without them, though.  I, personally, don't have that much of a problem with the redundancy of it all, as we don't see much of these creatures that much in the first place.

• Brohoof 1

Seeing how we have many mystical creatures to work with I think dinosaurs are low on the list of creatures we will see

That said a dinosaur is considered a creatures that livestock in our past in a certain time period. The way I see it, if we have an episode that introduces a created from say a thousand years ago that was long thought to have been extinct, then there is our Dino.

I think the MLP universe should work with what it's already brought to the table. The mythology (greek?) that it's based upon is incredibly rich and detailed as is; adding dinosaurs is unnecessary in my opinion. 

I'm of the opinion that the only animals in MLP should either be everyday real world animals (bunnies, birds, cows, cats, dogs, etc.) or of the purely fantasy variety.  Prehistoric animals just doesn't seem right for some reason.

• 1 year later...

No.

It could be cool, though.

/)

Yes, because as we all know, most of this characters have great backstories and are not generic or clichéd.

Yea, great idea. Dinosaurs were big, very very big. Bigger than ponies. So dinosaurs would kill everypony by accident. And MLP:fim won't cartoon about ponies, but about dinosaurs. I like it.

All I gotta ask is what would the point be? I mean, they are magical cartoon ponies that can fly and use magic and live in a technologically dystopian world. I don't really see a point to adding them in, as they would not really fit with the fantasy setting and asthetic that the show seems to have with its creatures and villains. So as a gag (like in the comics) I wouldn't mind it, but it just doesn't really seem to have a point adding them in.