Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Are there any episodes of MLP you hate?

Alex Z

I wouldn't say I hate any episodes, but I'm not particularly fond of episodes that came after season 2. The episode quality has been a roller coaster from then on, in my opinion. There were defiantly many good ones that came after season 2, but there were many bad ones as well.

Sonic Rainboom. It begins perfectly, goes off the rails and only partially recovers at the end. This could have been an amazing Fluttershy and Dash episode where they learn from each other. This is the only episode I truly dislike.

Also Lipstick Pone.

• Brohoof 1

Hate is a strong word.  I don't care for The Last Roundup, simply because AJ acted like an idiot.  She knows better than to think her friends, after all they've been through, would be ashamed of her for coming in second at an Equestria wide competition.  I mean, come on.  But you gotta love the I Love Lucy scene.

I wouldn't go as far as hate. every episode has a certain place in my heart, but here are the episodes that make the bottom list.

Look before you sleep: I didn't like how Applejack and Rarity pretty much just Argued throughout the episode

Dragon Quest: It's simple. Too much Spike, and not enough ponies

I though I'd have a few more to list. I could think of only two of the top of my head

Daring Don't currently tops (bottoms?) my Least Liked Episodes list. Just so "been there, done that." Plus Daring Do being real is just so cliché, they didn't even try to put a unique spin on the idea. I don't hate it, as such, it's just a waste of 22 minutes that I can never get back... 22 minutes closer to death.

I'm gonna have to steal a couple lines here from Bojack Horseman......"Imagine if the holocaust happened every four years, like the Olympics. I would rather that happen than "Somepony To Watch Over Me". That was, and I don't say this lightly, worse than 100 September 11ths."

Ok, maybe gross levels of hyperbole, but good lord that episode was bad. I see what they were going for, but it just doesn't fit in with AJ's character. I'm not much of an Applebloom fan, and I'm totally an AJ fan, so it takes a hell of a lot to get me to root for AB over AJ in an episode. 

There are absolutely none I really 'hate', not even throughout all of the generations.

However, I still can't get over how horribly 'Feeling Pinkie Keen' can be taken. Regardless of what the true message it was going for, it was very poorly executed, and because of that it does really come off anti-scientific minded thinking.

But perhaps my least favorite episode in the entire MLP series comes from G1. "Flight to Cloud Castle". I wanted to look at it as possibly parodying attitudes that we nowadays recognize as the  "Nice Guy" crowd, but then the episode has a horribly off-based "happily ever after" ending, where the girl actually decides to get with the guy... And it makes not even one lick of sense. The man did little to redeem himself, and trust me... He needed A LOT to redeem himself after almost getting the entire cast of the episode killed from throwing a temper tantrum because the girl wouldn't go out with him. Not that I'm sure he could be redeemed, he should have been dumped and the episode went a different direction for the ending.

That's the thing, even if they were going for a stereotypical "prince saves the princess, and they live happily ever after" narrative, that didn't work here. The "prince" was portrayed as a horrible man from the beginning, and the girl flat out said "No". Which could have made for a nice subversion of the usual narrative, and a much needed lesson of "You don't deserve me. I decide whether or not we get together", but then, with no build-up, she's like "Fine".

I know it's from the 80s, but come ooonnnnn... That's awful. Shame on them.

• Brohoof 1

Magical Mystery Cure, I don't care what anyone says, even if you can justify the plot holes (which I may or may not have at one point already), it was still a rushed, shitty plot that tried to do way too much with way too little time. That and the princess part was pointless because no reason has ever been given for their being another princess. There was never any indication that Equestria was in need of more rulers. Add to that the fact that Twilight had never shown any interest in being one, and the whole thing was a meaningless.

The episode existed for the sole purpose of selling princess Twilight toys.

Rainbow Falls:  Everyone was out of character, but what really got me was that Corey Powell tried to distract us from all that by throwing Bulk Biceps and Derpy at us.  It's like she knew that she'd written a bad episode, but instead of trying to rewrite it so it's at least decent, she was just like "Ah well, I'll just fix it with fanservice, that'll totally work!"  It felt so out of place to have this bad of an episode in between some really good ones.

As far as episodes I believe are subpar, though not hated whatsoever, I made a quick list, not including Putting Your Hoof Down.

The Ticket Master

Griffon the Brush-Off

Boast Busters

Bridle Gossip

The Show Stoppers

A Bird in the Hoof

Owl's Well that Ends Well

The Cutie Pox

May the Best Pet Win!

The Mysterious Mare-Do-Well

Baby Cakes

Dragon Quest

One Bad Apple

Apple Family Reuinion

Spike at Your Service

Keep Calm and Flutter On

Power Ponies

Rainbow Falls

Simple Ways

Leap of Faith

Yeah, this may be a lot, but most of them aren't bad and I don't truly even dislike most of them. And the good episodes make up for these Meh ones instantly. But this is why I personally prefer Gravity Falls. NOTE: I have not seen Trade Ya! as I completely unintentionally skipped over it.

• 6 years later...

There are few episodes i hated with passions. I hate them so much that they make my blood boiled when I remember about them. Thanks god, i’m not as pissed as i used to be.

To name a few:

Fluttershy Leans In

Honest Apple

Non-compete Clause

2,4,6 Great

I still remember how pissed i was when i finished watching Fluttershy Leans In. Oh, the hate, my good long lost friend...

• Brohoof 2